CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Just realized we are arriving at EWR around 1:45 pm. Wondering if there is any sight seeing fairly easy to get to from the Country Inn you mentioned or the Embassy?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As Carol pointed out, there is little sightseeing in Newark area. Besides NYC, you could catch a ferry from Liberty State Park in Jersey City to Ellis Island and Liberty Island. You will not have much time based on your schedule. Taxi or Uber would be faster than using public transport and allow more time sightseeing. Liberty Science Center, also in Jersey City, would be the only other option.

I'd like to confirm the current driving directions to Cape Liberty. We'll be driving to Cape Liberty next month, coming up the Turnpike (from the south). The port's web site says to take Exit 14A and "Follow the signs for Route 440 South. Proceed 1 1/2 miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal. The cruise terminal is two miles straight ahead."

I just wanted to make sure those directions are current, as I have a vague recollection of reading on this thread about construction or possibly other issues in the area. Apologies that I can't find that now, and thanks in advance for the assistance!

I'd like to confirm the current driving directions to Cape Liberty. We'll be driving to Cape Liberty next month, coming up the Turnpike (from the south). The port's web site says to take Exit 14A and "Follow the signs for Route 440 South. Proceed 1 1/2 miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal. The cruise terminal is two miles straight ahead."

I just wanted to make sure those directions are current, as I have a vague recollection of reading on this thread about construction or possibly other issues in the area. Apologies that I can't find that now, and thanks in advance for the assistance!

The turnpike extension to the Holland Tunnel intersects with the main NJ Turnpike at exit 14. You follow the exit sign that I believe says Exits 14 - 14A - 14B - 14C and get off at exit 14A. The above directions will get you to the terminal. I'm not sure if it still says Bayonne Ocean Terminal. I'm sure it says Goldsborough Drive and is the first left once you are on route 440.

The alternative at exit 14A is to follow the signs to Avenue E. At the light at 45th St, you make a left onto Center St (across from 45th) and follow the road as it curves around and deadends at Goldsborough Drive. Make a left and follow the road 2 miles out to the ship. This route has no tractor trailer trucks on it.

Sorry if this question has been asked many times on this thread- have tried to search. My husband and I are cruising from Cape Liberty in October and will be flying into JFK from UK two days before. We are first time visitors to New York and are really excited to be visiting New York. I really would appreciate advice on a good hotel well situated for sight seeing (budget upto $250 per night) and transfers from airport to hotel and also hotel to port. Would prefer to book private transfers ahead of time rather than leaving to chance. Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you :)

Sorry if this question has been asked many times on this thread- have tried to search. My husband and I are cruising from Cape Liberty in October and will be flying into JFK from UK two days before. We are first time visitors to New York and are really excited to be visiting New York. I really would appreciate advice on a good hotel well situated for sight seeing (budget upto $250 per night) and transfers from airport to hotel and also hotel to port. Would prefer to book private transfers ahead of time rather than leaving to chance. Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you :)

No problem asking the question. Everyone's budget and dates are different, so there's no fixed answer to the question.

$250 could be a very tight hotel budget for Manhattan, but not for NJ. October is high season. An alternative strategy we often recommend is to stay in a Newark NJ hotel with good access to the train and PATH to go to midtown or downtown Manhattan as well as more reasonable transportation to Cape Liberty.

Please post your ship name and the exact dates you would need a room as well as what you want to see in NYC. Once you decide on a hotel, the transportation can be figured out. I'm assuming 2 people. Do you have any bed size requirements? Are you seniors?

No problem asking the question. Everyone's budget and dates are different, so there's no fixed answer to the question.

$250 could be a very tight hotel budget for Manhattan, but not for NJ. October is high season. An alternative strategy we often recommend is to stay in a Newark NJ hotel with good access to the train and PATH to go to midtown or downtown Manhattan as well as more reasonable transportation to Cape Liberty.

Please post your ship name and the exact dates you would need a room as well as what you want to see in NYC. Once you decide on a hotel, the transportation can be figured out. I'm assuming 2 people. Do you have any bed size requirements? Are you seniors?

Thank you so much for quick reply. We would be checking in to the hotel on 16th October and checking out on 18th. We are sailing on RCC anthem of the seas from 18th until 27th. We would really like to stay in Manhattan so will stretch our budget and were thinking of a hop on hop off bus tour to see as much as possible. A broadway show in the evening is also on the wish list. We are travelling as a couple and will both be 50yrs at the time of travel and a standard size bed is fine.

Thank you once again :)

Thank you so much for quick reply. We would be checking in to the hotel on 16th October and checking out on 18th. We are sailing on RCC anthem of the seas from 18th until 27th. We would really like to stay in Manhattan so will stretch our budget and were thinking of a hop on hop off bus tour to see as much as possible. A broadway show in the evening is also on the wish list. We are travelling as a couple and will both be 50yrs at the time of travel and a standard size bed is fine.

Thank you once again :)

You need a room on weeknights, which are the most expensive, especially in October. The LaQuinta on 32nd St at Herald Square is $276.50 (about $321 with tax cancellable)per night for a queen bed. I am staying there Thursday night and will be reporting back on it.

You need a room on weeknights, which are the most expensive, especially in October. The LaQuinta on 32nd St at Herald Square is $276.50 (about $321 with tax cancellable)per night for a queen bed. I am staying there Thursday night and will be reporting back on it.

Okay- thank you

In July we are driving up in a rental van from NC with our family of 6. Staying in Jersey City @ an Airb&b. Looking for best transportation deal. Is it better to return rental b4 we leave and rent second vehicle upon return? Any suggestions from your experience would be greatly appreciated. thank you, stonesthro5

In July we are driving up in a rental van from NC with our family of 6. Staying in Jersey City @ an Airb&b. Looking for best transportation deal. Is it better to return rental b4 we leave and rent second vehicle upon return? Any suggestions from your experience would be greatly appreciated. thank you, stonesthro5

Where exactly in Jersey City are you staying? Where exactly can the van be returned? You still have to get to Cape Liberty and back. Some car rentals are close to a light rail station where you can get a train to 34th St Bayonne for about $10-12 for all of you assuming some are under 12. You then have to pay for transportation into the port - probably two Uber's for about $20. Or you can drop everyone else off and return the car by yourself. Lots of options.

My 19 y/o daughter and I have HOURS between the time that we disembark from our 3/17 arrival on the Anthem in Bayonne and before we have to be @ EWR by 7 for our 9pm flights back to reality. I've spent several hours trying to figure out how we can get our luggage to EWR, and us to NYC for a few hours of exploring. Or am I nuts to even try this? For $99pp, we can book an "excursion" through RCI, but we really want to go to the museum and maybe one more stop before we head to EWR. Any ideas/suggestions/help/offers??:confused:

My 19 y/o daughter and I have HOURS between the time that we disembark from our 3/17 arrival on the Anthem in Bayonne and before we have to be @ EWR by 7 for our 9pm flights back to reality. I've spent several hours trying to figure out how we can get our luggage to EWR, and us to NYC for a few hours of exploring. Or am I nuts to even try this? For $99pp, we can book an "excursion" through RCI, but we really want to go to the museum and maybe one more stop before we head to EWR. Any ideas/suggestions/help/offers??:confused:

March 17 is the St Patrick's Day in NYC. Several questions - could you manage your luggage on accessible public transit? Which of the many NYC museums do you want to go to?

Someone recently posted about a new luggage storage service in NYC - http://www.bagbnb.com/

As Carol pointed out, there is little sightseeing in Newark area. Besides NYC, you could catch a ferry from Liberty State Park in Jersey City to Ellis Island and Liberty Island. You will not have much time based on your schedule. Taxi or Uber would be faster than using public transport and allow more time sightseeing. Liberty Science Center, also in Jersey City, would be the only other option.

Thanks for the info. Liberty island might be fun...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was thinking we would go after we check in? I wonder what time it closes though. I guess I need to research!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ferries stop running at 3:30 pm. Not really enough time to get much from the trip.

If you take 2 Uber's to Newark Penn Station, you will pay $5.25/pp instead of $13/pp to get into midtown Manhattan on the train or $2.75/pp to go to lower Manhattan on PATH. PATH will also take you to midtown, but it's a longer trip than the train. You can also mix and match - PATH downtown, NYC subway to Times Square ($2.75/pp), and train from New York Penn Station back.

I was thinking we would go after we check in? I wonder what time it closes though. I guess I need to research!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For your date 5-30-2018, ferries leave Liberty State Park until 5:30 pm.

Last ferry back to LSP departs Liberty Island at 6:45 pm.

Taxi or uber from your hotel to LSP to save time.

Four ferry departures between 1:40 and 3:25pm from LSP.

For your date 5-30-2018, ferries leave Liberty State Park until 5:30 pm.

Last ferry back to LSP departs Liberty Island at 6:45 pm.

Taxi or uber from your hotel to LSP to save time.

Four ferry departures between 1:40 and 3:25pm from LSP.

Good catch! I got confused with people's dates since there are multiple folks asking questions at the same time.

I've used all of these including PATH.

NJ Transit is the easiest. You just buy a senior ticket from the machine - no form to fill out and no picture required.

PATH requires an application and a picture, but once you have the card, it lasts a long time.

NY Metrocard requires an application and picture and expires within 2-3 years.

My PATH card is still valid and I plan to use it Friday. My Senior Metro card expired in 2014 and I'm not going through the hassle of renewing it unless I plan to spend a lot if time of time in NYC. I'm happy with just a regular Metrocard for now.

Hi, we're taking Adventure of the Seas in May with another couple. Taking Amtrak from MA to Newark Penn Station. What do you recommend to get from the train station to the cruise terminal?

Thanks

Are you doing this the same day you sail? IMO not the best plan. I am currently sitting on Amtrak to NYC and sailing from Cape Liberty tomorrow.