CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Are you doing this the same day you sail? IMO not the best plan. I am currently sitting on Amtrak to NYC and sailing from Cape Liberty tomorrow.

Yes, same day. Have done same on 7-8 NY NCL sailings without any issues

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello, looking for some advice on Cape Liberty. My family of 4 are going on Adventure of the Seas, May 25th. We have found a hotel for an overnight stay with free parking for the duration of our cruise, but no transportation to the cruise port. We also thought about renting a car and turning it in at EWR expecting a shuttle to the port like they have in Miami but no such luck. In fact, this might be the worst cruise port around for transportation from what I have seen so far. No public transportation at all to the port. I need some advice on getting from Staten Island or the EWR airport to the port as cheaply as possible.

Hello, looking for some advice on Cape Liberty. My family of 4 are going on Adventure of the Seas, May 25th. We have found a hotel for an overnight stay with free parking for the duration of our cruise, but no transportation to the cruise port.

You state your hotel includes parking, so does that mean you are driving to NJ? If so then I would just take your own car to the port. If it's only a 7 day cruise parking will be $140 to park. That will most likely be the same or cheaper as any round-trip car service you could arrange for 4 people.

You state your hotel includes parking, so does that mean you are driving to NJ? If so then I would just take your own car to the port. If it's only a 7 day cruise parking will be $140 to park. That will most likely be the same or cheaper as any round-trip car service you could arrange for 4 people.

I was afraid of that. Yes we are driving from Ohio to NJ. Anyone used any of the private lots instead of the port? I saw a few online with a shuttle for less than the $20 per day

I was afraid of that. Yes we are driving from Ohio to NJ. Anyone used any of the private lots instead of the port? I saw a few online with a shuttle for less than the $20 per day

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 20 times and have always parked at the pier. I have heard enough negative reports about off site parking to make me leery to leave our car there. Yes, I am sure there are people who park off-site and have no problem but it just doesn't seem like a safe area and I don't want to wait 45 minutes to an hour to be picked up at the end of my cruise when I would almost be home by then if I had my car at the port.

If you do a search about Bayonne Parking I am sure you will come up with other threads/post about them.

Hello, looking for some advice on Cape Liberty. My family of 4 are going on Adventure of the Seas, May 25th. We have found a hotel for an overnight stay with free parking for the duration of our cruise, but no transportation to the cruise port. We also thought about renting a car and turning it in at EWR expecting a shuttle to the port like they have in Miami but no such luck. In fact, this might be the worst cruise port around for transportation from what I have seen so far. No public transportation at all to the port. I need some advice on getting from Staten Island or the EWR airport to the port as cheaply as possible.

You can Uber easily from EWR to Cape Liberty and return.

You can Uber easily from EWR to Cape Liberty and return.

I checked out Uber and it was like $50-60 one way. Right now, it looks like the Bayonne Parking 1.5 miles away at $102 for everything is our least expensive option. I'm from Ohio and parking is a little cheaper needless to say. I really cant understand why Cape Liberty doesn't have a bus stop or any subway/train station close by. Or rental car companies with a shuttle back and forth to the airport like MIA. I'm beginning to think the mafia owns the taxi companies and is keeping it out. Maybe too many late night police dramas for me lol! :D

We will be sailing on Anthem June 14th out of Cape Liberty. We are considering getting at least a day in for sight seeing in NY. Would we be better off flying into JFK and staying in NY and making our way to Cape Liberty the morning of sailing? None of us have ever been to NY. All the options seem overwhelming and expensive.

We will be sailing on Anthem June 14th out of Cape Liberty. We are considering getting at least a day in for sight seeing in NY. Would we be better off flying into JFK and staying in NY and making our way to Cape Liberty the morning of sailing? None of us have ever been to NY. All the options seem overwhelming and expensive.

You can fly into Newark and stay in a property in NJ using mass transit to get into Manhattan. (NJ Transit, PATH, Transit commuter bus or even ferry depending on the location of the property. Much less expensive. Carol 138 is the expert but she’s on her cruise now. So hang tight [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Start with checking the poster "138 East" threads on this board. Numerous times she has detailed how to get from EWR to the Bayonne cruise port. Using public transportation would be the "cheapest" way for a solo traveler. I don't think for your group of four it would be. She highly recommends booking thru Trinity Reservations a sleep/stay/cruise package. I think Ramada Inn includes shuttle to/from the port in their package. No doubt you will find her recommendations if you search the last few pages of this board.

I checked out Uber and it was like $50-60 one way. Right now, it looks like the Bayonne Parking 1.5 miles away at $102 for everything is our least expensive option. I'm from Ohio and parking is a little cheaper needless to say. I really cant understand why Cape Liberty doesn't have a bus stop or any subway/train station close by. Or rental car companies with a shuttle back and forth to the airport like MIA. I'm beginning to think the mafia owns the taxi companies and is keeping it out. Maybe too many late night police dramas for me lol! :D

There is a light rail station at 34th Street in Bayonne, from there you would need a taxi to the cruise port. I believe the total cost for 4 would be more than uber, certainly not worth the transfers and such.

I have also used the off site parking on New Hook Rd. I strongly advise against it. The facility has used different names over the years, regardless whatever name being used today the recommendation on this board is to not park off site.

I am using light rail to 34th street station, then Uber to port next week. There are 4 of us traveling and the Uber quote was $11 if I recall correct. I will do a review when I return, but it seems pretty easy. Our hotel is a couple blocks to the light rail station. It may not be the fastest way, but it is cheap ($25 each way, for 4), we aren't in a hurry, and we aren't from the city so public transit is amusing.

I am using light rail to 34th street station, then Uber to port next week. There are 4 of us traveling and the Uber quote was $11 if I recall correct. I will do a review when I return, but it seems pretty easy. Our hotel is a couple blocks to the light rail station. It may not be the fastest way, but it is cheap ($25 each way, for 4), we aren't in a hurry, and we aren't from the city so public transit is amusing.

Hey keep me posted on how it works out. We're not city folk and the subway or train is very much a novelty. We would love to travel that way and save some money too

Hey keep me posted on how it works out. We're not city folk and the subway or train is very much a novelty. We would love to travel that way and save some money too

If you want to use public transport from EWR to the cruise port in Bayonne use this link...

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TripPlannerTo

You will find it is possible using public transport to get to the cruise terminal. The price is $13.50 per adult and $8.95 per child. If your group of 4 are all adults your cost will be $54 each way without yet including the cost of taxi from 34th street in Bayonne to the port.Budget $10 for the taxi, assuming 4 with luggage can fit in one vehicle. If you have 2 kids your cost will be $45 pre taxi.

Three train rides on three separate lines are necessary. Assuming you make all your connections, finding the various ticket machines, validation of tickets, correct platforms, and handling luggage the travel time is more than an hour and that does not include the time you need from your hotel to EWR and waiting for the first train. The taxi wait will be a minimum of 15-20 minutes at 34th street.

You priced uber at $50-60. Only you can decide if saving $5(if your group are not 4 adults) is worth the time and effort so that you can use the trains. It would not be for me.

If you leave your car at your hotel, does your package there include the price of leaving the car on their property while you are cruising? If not, factor in that cost.

You asked for directions from either EWR or Staten Island. Staten Island is in New York. I can't offer any assistance from there. Is your hotel reservation in NJ or NY?

The cost for 4 including round trip shuttle for the cruise port and parking during your cruise is $235 at the Ramada that "138 East" recommends using via Trinity Reservations. Did you look into that? That would be an option to save you some money. Which is more important for you, riding the trains or saving some money?

If you want to use public transport from EWR to the cruise port in Bayonne use this link...

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TripPlannerTo

You will find it is possible using public transport to get to the cruise terminal. The price is $13.50 per adult and $8.95 per child. If your group of 4 are all adults your cost will be $54 each way without yet including the cost of taxi from 34th street in Bayonne to the port.Budget $10 for the taxi, assuming 4 with luggage can fit in one vehicle. If you have 2 kids your cost will be $45 pre taxi.

Three train rides on three separate lines are necessary. Assuming you make all your connections, finding the various ticket machines, validation of tickets, correct platforms, and handling luggage the travel time is more than an hour and that does not include the time you need from your hotel to EWR and waiting for the first train. The taxi wait will be a minimum of 15-20 minutes at 34th street.

You priced uber at $50-60. Only you can decide if saving $5(if your group are not 4 adults) is worth the time and effort so that you can use the trains. It would not be for me.

If you leave your car at your hotel, does your package there include the price of leaving the car on their property while you are cruising? If not, factor in that cost.

You asked for directions from either EWR or Staten Island. Staten Island is in New York. I can't offer any assistance from there. Is your hotel reservation in NJ or NY?

The cost for 4 including round trip shuttle for the cruise port and parking during your cruise is $235 at the Ramada that "138 East" recommends using via Trinity Reservations. Did you look into that? That would be an option to save you some money. Which is more important for you, riding the trains or saving some money?

We should have enough Choice Privileges pts for a hotel pretty much anywhere in the area that's a Choice Hotel. The Comfort Inn in Staten Island offered free parking but no public transportation. I'm really disappointed that National car rental at EWR does not shuttle to the port. I can rent a car for $38 from Ohio to EWR. I been pricing the "Light Rail" and it's like $1.60 or something it says. Is that incorrect? Saving money is the absolute priority.

We should have enough Choice Privileges pts for a hotel pretty much anywhere in the area that's a Choice Hotel. The Comfort Inn in Staten Island offered free parking but no public transportation. I'm really disappointed that National car rental at EWR does not shuttle to the port. I can rent a car for $38 from Ohio to EWR. I been pricing the "Light Rail" and it's like $1.60 or something it says. Is that incorrect? Saving money is the absolute priority.

The $1.60 price is for travel within the city of Newark using the "Newark Light Rail".

You are not traveling within the city of Newark and you need the "Hudson-Bergen Light Rail" to get to the cruise port.

I gave you a link to the NJ Transit site. In the "travel from" box enter Newark Airport. In the "travel to"enter 34th Street Bayonne. You will find the fare as I quoted. Regardless if you are 4 adults or 2 and 2 kids, the total cost with the taxi will be more than the uber quote and your travel time will be greater. I only know of one hotel that allows cars left in their lot without some fee, so that is another cost.

It is an easy decision, go with uber.

The $1.60 price is for travel within the city of Newark using the "Newark Light Rail".

You are not traveling within the city of Newark and you need the "Hudson-Bergen Light Rail" to get to the cruise port.

I gave you a link to the NJ Transit site. In the "travel from" box enter Newark Airport. In the "travel to"enter 34th Street Bayonne. You will find the fare as I quoted. Regardless if you are 4 adults or 2 and 2 kids, the total cost with the taxi will be more than the uber quote and your travel time will be greater. I only know of one hotel that allows cars left in their lot without some fee, so that is another cost.

We have our own car too. But parking options are horrible as well. Its really painful to pay all these fees. We got spoiled with Port of Miami last yr.

I agree about Uber with 4 people. Unfortunately I've lost track of this thread conversation - am on my cell phone in Miami where Anthem has just docked for the very first time.

Anyway the train surcharge is a killer from EWR to Bayonne for 4 people and it's time consuming. It costs about $8.25 for adults to ride from EWR to Newark Penn Station plus $2.75 for PATH and $2.25 for the light rail plus whatever Uber is to get into the port.

Where is the OP parking and what are they paying to do that? What is the sail date and # of days?

We are driving from Ohio. 2 adults and 2 kids. I mentioned a shuttle from EWR because we could rent a car really cheap and drive from Ohio, and I was hoping for the same situation as we had last yr in Miami where the rental car companies offer a free shuttle to the port from the airport, but no luck at EWR. We have a bunch of Choice Privileges pts so any Comfort Inn or Suites, Quality Inn, etc. is fair game for a free night. Unfortunately, none of the hotels I have looked at offer a free shuttle, although the Staten Island Comfort Inn offers free parking while we are gone on the cruise. My cheapest option right now is probably the free night at a hotel and parking at the Bayonne Cruise Parking for $102.

Reds4life, we are also driving from Ohio because when you compare the time involved against the cost of flying, it makes the most sense. Our first time sailing from Bayonne, it was just DH and I so a hotel package with parking and shuttle included (note: "included", not "free") was the best way to go. Last time, three of us drove from Ohio and three more arrived at EWR by plane and train so our best bet was to park at the hotel (for a fee) and arrange private transportation to and from the port. This year we have four adults arriving in two cars and four adults arriving at EWR. I've done a spreadsheet of all the different options and, by far, the best bet includes parking the two cars at the port.

I think the hotel packages are economical for two people, but after that the value drops quickly.

Reds4life, we are also driving from Ohio because when you compare the time involved against the cost of flying, it makes the most sense. Our first time sailing from Bayonne, it was just DH and I so a hotel package with parking and shuttle included (note: "included", not "free") was the best way to go. Last time, three of us drove from Ohio and three more arrived at EWR by plane and train so our best bet was to park at the hotel (for a fee) and arrange private transportation to and from the port. This year we have four adults arriving in two cars and four adults arriving at EWR. I've done a spreadsheet of all the different options and, by far, the best bet includes parking the two cars at the port.

I think the hotel packages are economical for two people, but after that the value drops quickly.

Thanks. It makes me feel a little better that someone else in a similar situation has come to the same conclusion. Seems less complicated as well. Any advice on navigating the cruise terminal? One website described it as "hectic" and we've only been to Port of Miami for another cruise. We are supposed to get "Priority Check In" through AAA but not sure how much difference that makes.

Has anyone flown into JFK and taken a shuttle from there? I thought I read they have a bus/shuttle for $20 pp to the port?

I’m flying home on JetBlue (JFK) after the cruise on Anthem coming into Bayonne. I’m very interested in how to get from port to JFK. I’m thinking Uber. I’ll be alone but with suitcases, so I’ll need car service of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums