CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Cape Liberty Parking - multiple ships

Hello All -

We are planning on taking the Aug 5 (Sunday to Sunday) Celebrity Summit Cruise to Bermuda. I understand that there are multiple large ships utilizing the same port during different days of the week. Can someone comment on the parking situation at the garage next to the pier given that there is a ‘rolling turnover’ during the week? Is there a certain arrival time in the morning that would be recommended to make sure parking is available in the garage? Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the ES last year. The hotel shuttle runs from station P4 of the Airtrain (as all hotel shuttles do), so no problem there. We used the hotel shuttle to the cruise port. They use an independant company that has about 8 16 seat minibuses and they just keep shuttling until everyone is done (they also do the Country Inn across the road). Its $20pp each way and first shuttle is 10am. We got the 11am and were still at CL before they let you start boarding. I spoke to the guy who ran the operation and he said on return, they start picking up from CL around 7.30. By what he said, I think they will drop you at EWR if you want...if not, its just the hotel shuttle back to P4. It suited us, though we only did the one way trip. Book the shuttle at the front desk on arrival at ES. The mall is a 5 minute walk across the car park from ES and between the mall and the ES is Ruby Tuesdays (closest) and IHOP(furthest). Of course, the mall has a food court. One other thing, the ES free drinks reception in the evening only allows one free drink per person (voucher obtained from front desk). After that, all drinks are $2. This is due to local law.

Simon

Thanks a bunch Simon! This will be our first time flying into an east coast port and the information you provided is much appreciated.

A couple of questions if you would, is the $2 per drink only during reception? And do you know if there is a grocery store or drug store within walking distance of the ES?

Thanks a bunch Simon! This will be our first time flying into an east coast port and the information you provided is much appreciated.

A couple of questions if you would, is the $2 per drink only during reception? And do you know if there is a grocery store or drug store within walking distance of the ES?

The $2 drink is just during reception...5-7 I think. I can’t hand on heart say the stores are in the Mall, but I would imagine there would definitely be a drug store of some sort. Probably a grocery store, but not sure. Have a look on their website...perhaps it says. It’s the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Simon

Hi everyone: we will be driving down to Manhatten Cruise Port in aug from NH. We are looking for a hotel outside of the port and the Hilton Westchester in a Rye Brook was suggested. I was wondering if that was a good choice? If anyone has directions that are better than gps I would appreciate them. ( both to the hotel and from hotel to pier) GPS always wants to keep us on 95. We would be open to any hotel suggestions also in that area. Thank you!

That hotel isn't bad at all- great Pizza from their restaurant and it is near by to a shopping plaza. It can feel a little dated but we have stayed there a few times (we have family in the area) and we have never had any issues or concerns staying there. I can't help you with directions- has been years since we left from NY but you can take one of the parkways just as easily as 95.

We will be flying into Newark on 6/12 and staying 2 nights precruise. We plan to spend one day exploring Manhattan. We are considering Doubletree Jersey City. We will need to book 2 rooms with 2 beds in each room. Any other options that are decent but maybe less expensive? Also, what is the best way to get from airport to hotel and then from hotel to Cruiseport?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was looking at a RC cruise for May 5th, leaving San Juan and Arriving in Cape Liberty.

Trying to find the best parking situation. The flights I am finding out of EWR to San Juan are late in the night 8/9pm on the 4th.

What would be my easiest parking situation for when we get back?

Is it possible to park at the port that late in the evening? or do they shut down after whatever ship is leaving that day?

I would prefer to park at the port and cab or uber to EWR for our flight, so our car is right there when we get back.

Otherwise, we have to park at EWR long term and take a ride back there when we get back to pick up car.

Thoughts?

I was looking at a RC cruise for May 5th, leaving San Juan and Arriving in Cape Liberty.

Trying to find the best parking situation. The flights I am finding out of EWR to San Juan are late in the night 8/9pm on the 4th.

What would be my easiest parking situation for when we get back?

Is it possible to park at the port that late in the evening? or do they shut down after whatever ship is leaving that day?

I would prefer to park at the port and cab or uber to EWR for our flight, so our car is right there when we get back.

Otherwise, we have to park at EWR long term and take a ride back there when we get back to pick up car.

Thoughts?

Since this is a repo back to Bayonne, you cannot park at the port. Your options are pretty much limited to parking at EWR.

We will be flying into Newark on 6/12 and staying 2 nights precruise. We plan to spend one day exploring Manhattan. We are considering Doubletree Jersey City. We will need to book 2 rooms with 2 beds in each room. Any other options that are decent but maybe less expensive? Also, what is the best way to get from airport to hotel and then from hotel to Cruiseport?

We flew in to Newark and spent 3 nights in Manhattan pre-cruise. We stayed at the Hampton on 35th street. Fabulous location, great hot breakfast and great price. We walked lots but there was a subway just steps from the hotel door. From the airport we took the path to Penn station NYC which is Madison square gardens . Easy walking distance from the hotel . To get to cape liberty we took the path from just outside jc penny on 33 street and Broadway to Hoboken then light rail to 34th street in Bayonne where there was a lyft waiting. It was then $20 to the pier. Someone at Hoboken said it would be better to take lyft or uber from Hoboken to the pier but we already had our tickets by that time.

We are staying at same hotel . We plan to Lyft or Uber both ways.

We are actually steering more towards The Hyatt House in Jersey City. They offer two queens and free breakfast. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

The Hyatt House in Jersey City will offer amazing views of lower Manhattan, especially at night when the buildings are lit. The Newport-Pavonia Path station, direct transit to NYC, is less than a 10 minute walk from your hotel.http://www.panynj.gov/path/newport-station.html

We are actually steering more towards The Hyatt House in Jersey City. They offer two queens and free breakfast. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

In the Newport area of Jersey City we recommend the Hyatt, the Doubletree, the Courtyard, and the Westin all the time. Candlewood Suites is also fine if you want a self catering option.

If you stay at the Hyatt you need to understand exactly how PATH works from the Exchange Place Station, which is right at the hotel. On a weekday you can go to downtown Manhattan (World Trade) directly (one stop). You can also go to midtown (Herald Square 33rd & 6th) by taking a Hoboken train one stop to Newport/Pavonia and transferring to the 33rd St train. If you're not going to the Herald Square area, it could be faster to go to World Trade and find your particular subway train in one of the many nearby subway stations.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

We are sailing the Anthem out of Cape Liberty Thursday July 26th-saturday August 4th. We plan to arrive at least one day before. We want to see Ellis island and SOL. We are flexible and can come 2 days early if needed.

What is a reasonable hotel that is convenient for going to Ellis Island and driving to cape Liberty? I think we will probably just plan to park at the port.

Van service from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport--read on a thread that it is available by the taxi stand and cost $20 per. If anyone used this service can I get confirmation. Thanks.

I checked this for you today. The Taxi Dispatcher said $20 for a shared shuttle to EWR.

We are sailing the Anthem out of Cape Liberty Thursday July 26th-saturday August 4th. We plan to arrive at least one day before. We want to see Ellis island and SOL. We are flexible and can come 2 days early if needed.

What is a reasonable hotel that is convenient for going to Ellis Island and driving to cape Liberty? I think we will probably just plan to park at the port.

What is your hotel budget? To do justice to both Ellis Island and the SOL you need most of a day. Coming in 2 days ahead would be better.

Are you coming from Boston? Another option would be to come as far as Stamford night one so you can get a late morning ferry from Liberty State Park the next day and then stay at a hotel near Cape Liberty.

What is your hotel budget? To do justice to both Ellis Island and the SOL you need most of a day. Coming in 2 days ahead would be better.

Are you coming from Boston? Another option would be to come as far as Stamford night one so you can get a late morning ferry from Liberty State Park the next day and then stay at a hotel near Cape Liberty.

Yes I am coming from Boston. So you suggest we arrive in stamford, spend the night and the next morning take a ferry to Staten, spend day out there, come back on ferry and drive that evening to a hotel near cape liberty?

Yes I am coming from Boston. So you suggest we arrive in stamford, spend the night and the next morning take a ferry to Staten, spend day out there, come back on ferry and drive that evening to a hotel near cape liberty?

Where in tge Boston area are you coming from? What is your hotel budget and number of people? That will determine your options July 24-26. The reality is that there are no hotels at Cape Liberty. The closest accommodations coming from Boston are in Jersey City, Newark Airport, and Secaucus, so you're going to have to drive to the port unless you want to do a Park/sleep/cruise.

What I'm suggesting is that if you're on a tight budget, you can save some money by spending one night in Stamford and one at Newark Airport or Secaucus. From Stamford you would leave around 9 am to drive to Liberty State Park in Jersey City to take a midday ferry to Ellis Island and the SOL, which would give you about 5 hours of touring.

If you can spend $250/ night you can stay at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. Another option is to stay in the Harmon Meadows area of Secaucus, which is a much more suburban like area with nicer-than-airport hotels, restaurants, and outlet shopping.

Where in tge Boston area are you coming from? What is your hotel budget and number of people? That will determine your options July 24-26. The reality is that there are no hotels at Cape Liberty. The closest accommodations coming from Boston are in Jersey City, Newark Airport, and Secaucus, so you're going to have to drive to the port unless you want to do a Park/sleep/cruise.

What I'm suggesting is that if you're on a tight budget, you can save some money by spending one night in Stamford and one at Newark Airport or Secaucus. From Stamford you would leave around 9 am to drive to Liberty State Park in Jersey City to take a midday ferry to Ellis Island and the SOL, which would give you about 5 hours of touring.

If you can spend $250/ night you can stay at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. Another option is to stay in the Harmon Meadows area of Secaucus, which is a much more suburban like area with nicer-than-airport hotels, restaurants, and outlet shopping.

Id like to keep the budget low without staying in a dump. So far i found 2 hotels near the airport that look fairly close to both the port and NJ ferry: Wyndham Garden and Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty. Both are by the airport and around $130 a night. With typical week day traffic how far would those be to the port?

Id like to keep the budget low without staying in a dump. So far i found 2 hotels near the airport that look fairly close to both the port and NJ ferry: Wyndham Garden and Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty. Both are by the airport and around $130 a night. With typical week day traffic how far would those be to the port?

I've done a Park/sleep cruise at the Ramada and liked it very much. It's a solid 3* hotel. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the wifi was free, and the room had a flat screen TV and coffeemaker. It does show some carpet wear in the hall. There is an extensive Cafe area plus a bar/restaurant. They charge $17/Day to park.

Price out other options. Booking at a room rate of $130 means you will pay about $150/night including taxes plus $17 to park. Parking at the pier is $180 plus some turnpike toll. This is about $350 for just 1 night hotel and cruise parking and about $520 for your total pre cruise stay and cruise parking.

Trinityreservations.com offers a Park/sleep/cruise package for 2 people on 7/25 for $224 tax included which includes the room, parking for 21 days, and round trip port transportation. This is prepay, but cancellable up to one day ahead.

Lastminutetravel.com is offering rooms at the Ramada for 7/24 for about $110 tax included with free breakfast and cancellable until 7/21/18. I think this is prepay as well. You may have to pay the $17 parking.

You can do your entire precruise stay and parking for about $350 if you plan it right. I have used both of these vendors and would recommend them.

Maybe we will plan to drive from Boston to the holiday Inn NJ through TrinityReservations. Then when we get off the ship on August 4th get our car and head to the jersey ferry and see ellis and SOT that day and drive as far home as we can that night and stay someplace in CT. This seems like a cheaper option

When you didn't specify the number of people as asked, I assumed 2 people. For 3 people, I need to know your bed size requirements. Can you do two doubles? Or do you need two Queens or some other configuration?

I like your plan to do the SOL post cruise. In the summer ferries leave from Liberty State Park hourly starting at 8 am. Are you planning to buy the basic SOL/Ellis Island ticket or are you interested in the special tickets for the pedestal or crown? Anthem docks very early, so if you park at the port, you could self disembark and make a 9 am ferry which requires an arrival at Liberty State Park no later than 8:15-8:30 to get through the security check.

What area around Boston are you returning to? Do you have the cars only directions for getting through NYC? If you get yourselves on an early ferry to the SOL, I think it's entirely possible to do the SOL and Ellis Island and drive home in one day. We spent two days in Manhattan with DD and 3 DGD's in July leaving at 6 pm to get home the last day. Hotel prices were prohibitive for 6 people, so we stayed in Stamford CT and trained in one day and drove in the next.

In your particular situation I'd spend my money to park at the port to be able to do the SOL early before the crowds build up rather than spend it on a post cruise hotel.