CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We are arriving in Bayonne on April 29 could anyone guide us on how to get from the cruise port to Newark NJ Penn station without giving a arm & leg.

The cruise line charges $28.50 per person to the airport. I looked up Lyft and it might be $16 for the smallest vehicle. We are five people so I am thinking around $30. Just put in Cape Liberty Cruise port and the train station in the fare estimator.

Edited by ustasmom

The cruise line charges $28.50 per person to the airport.

Where did you find this information??? We tried booking transportation through Celebrity's site (from Newark airport to the port and back again) and it was much more expensive, $50 pp each way or $90 pp round trip.

Where did you find this information??? We tried booking transportation through Celebrity's site (from Newark airport to the port and back again) and it was much more expensive, $50 pp each way or $90 pp round trip.

Most of the folks posting on this forum are sailing on RCL which charges $28.50/pp for transfers between Cape Liberty and Newark Airport. Lots of folks are using Uber or Lyft from the airport to Cape Liberty.

The cruise line charges $28.50 per person to the airport. I looked up Lyft and it might be $16 for the smallest vehicle. We are five people so I am thinking around $30. Just put in Cape Liberty Cruise port and the train station in the fare estimator.

Please note that Newark Penn Station is the only train station with vehicle access. The Newark Airport Station has no vehicle access. You have to go to the P4 Airtrain station and take the free Airtrain to the train stop at Newark Airport.

From Cape Liberty Newark Penn Station should be a more expensive fare than the airport.

This thread has been awesome for info! Thanks so much. [emoji846]

Question about PATH to NYC. We are staying one night before and one night after our cruise in Jersey City. We are flying into Newark early on a Wednesday (the day before our Anthem Cruise). UBER or LYFT over to Doubletree in Jersey City, plan to store our luggage, then take PATH to either midtown or downtown for the day. We return from cruise on Saturday, and plan to do the same again, getting transportation back to Doubletree, then PATH over to NYC again.

Which day is better to do midtown (and north)? Which is better to do downtown? I know train schedules change on weekends, and I was hoping for advice from those who understand the flow. We are planning to be there in the last half of September, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been searching this thread (great information - thank you so much!) and just wanted to check on something with you. Sailing in mid-march from Cape Liberty, coming in from Maine to Newark Penn and staying overnight at the Hilton there. There are 4 of us, 4 suitcases, 4 backpacks/large personal bags and a rollator - do you still recommend hiring Summit Taxi? Am thinking that a car service will probably be the best way to get to Cape Liberty and back to AmTrak when we disembark. Any other car service recommendations (besides Uber and Lyft)? Thank you!

This thread has been awesome for info! Thanks so much. [emoji846]

Question about PATH to NYC. We are staying one night before and one night after our cruise in Jersey City. We are flying into Newark early on a Wednesday (the day before our Anthem Cruise). UBER or LYFT over to Doubletree in Jersey City, plan to store our luggage, then take PATH to either midtown or downtown for the day. We return from cruise on Saturday, and plan to do the same again, getting transportation back to Doubletree, then PATH over to NYC again.

Which day is better to do midtown (and north)? Which is better to do downtown? I know train schedules change on weekends, and I was hoping for advice from those who understand the flow. We are planning to be there in the last half of September, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Doubletree is near the Newport PATH station. It makes more sense to do downtown on a Wed because the Hoboken to World Trade trains are running. On a Sat the 33rd St PATH train will run from Newport via Hoboken, so that will work for you.

Not a big deal if you want to switch the days. You just have to pay more attention to what you're doing. On a Sat from Newport you would take the Journal Square train one stop to Grove St and transfer across the track to the World Trade train. On a Wed the 33rd St train would skip Hoboken and go directly to Manhattan.

You can see all this on the map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

I've been searching this thread (great information - thank you so much!) and just wanted to check on something with you. Sailing in mid-march from Cape Liberty, coming in from Maine to Newark Penn and staying overnight at the Hilton there. There are 4 of us, 4 suitcases, 4 backpacks/large personal bags and a rollator - do you still recommend hiring Summit Taxi? Am thinking that a car service will probably be the best way to get to Cape Liberty and back to AmTrak when we disembark. Any other car service recommendations (besides Uber and Lyft)? Thank you!

Get quotes. Call Summit taxi as well as get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo. Summit Taxi is what I would call a local area car service based in a more upscale suburban town west of Newark.

Do any of the rental car company's pick you up at the port? Need to get to Philly when the adventure comes up from San Juan.

Thanks,

I spoke to the Enterprise in Bayonne and they said that they were not allowed to pick up at the port. She did say that the cab should be $5 and that they would deduct that from the rental. The rates were much cheaper out of EWR anyway.

I spoke to the Enterprise in Bayonne and they said that they were not allowed to pick up at the port. She did say that the cab should be $5 and that they would deduct that from the rental. The rates were much cheaper out of EWR anyway.

You also have to factor in the cost of getting to EWR. Shared shuttle is $20/pp. Uber could be $35-40.

I would bet that a taxi to Enterprise is more than $5. I just paid $5 to go to the light rail at the port entrance in Jan and that is a lot closer than Enterprise.

Hello everyone!! I've been browsing through this thread, but it's really long and a huge variety of information is covered.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet come across the info I am looking for:

We are sailing into Bayonne for our first time on the Adventure Repo this May, and unfortunately our flight isn't leaving EWR until 6:00 PM. What is there to do in the area for several hours to bridge the gap? We'll have our luggage, so that greatly limits our casual sightseeing options. I was thinking along the lines of a tour company excursion type deal, but I can't find anything reasonable. Royal Caribbean offers two excursions, but they aren't appealing at all and they are very expensive.

TIA everyone, and happy cruising!! 😁🚢

- Sent from my Samsung Note 8

Hello everyone!! I've been browsing through this thread, but it's really long and a huge variety of information is covered.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet come across the info I am looking for:

We are sailing into Bayonne for our first time on the Adventure Repo this May, and unfortunately our flight isn't leaving EWR until 6:00 PM. What is there to do in the area for several hours to bridge the gap? We'll have our luggage, so that greatly limits our casual sightseeing options. I was thinking along the lines of a tour company excursion type deal, but I can't find anything reasonable. Royal Caribbean offers two excursions, but they aren't appealing at all and they are very expensive.

TIA everyone, and happy cruising!! 😁🚢

This question has been asked, but there really isn't much to do with luggage unless you want to spend money. The main suggestion has been to go to Newark Airport, rent a car for luggage storage, and drive to Liberty State Park to take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for the day.

This question has been asked, but there really isn't much to do with luggage unless you want to spend money. The main suggestion has been to go to Newark Airport, rent a car for luggage storage, and drive to Liberty State Park to take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for the day.

Thanks for the tip! I have reserved a car from the Bayonne Enterprise (half the price of renting from EWR and it appears to be close to the port). The plan now is exactly that - store the bags in the car and take the NJ side ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island. Tickets for the 10AM trip are already purchased as well!

I would think that should leave plenty of time to return the car and then to get to the airport by 430PM at the latest for our 6:00PM flight, correct? We have TSA Pre-Check, so not as concerned about the security lines.

Thanks for the tip! I have reserved a car from the Bayonne Enterprise (half the price of renting from EWR and it appears to be close to the port). The plan now is exactly that - store the bags in the car and take the NJ side ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island. Tickets for the 10AM trip are already purchased as well!

I would think that should leave plenty of time to return the car and then to get to the airport by 430PM at the latest for our 6:00PM flight, correct? We have TSA Pre-Check, so not as concerned about the security lines.

You're going to have to self disembark. It's a weekday morning so there will be traffic getting to Enterprise and then to Liberty State Park. Check the status of I78 East before you get on it. It can get backed up, but usually not as far as exit 14A to 14B. If that happens, local streets are an option. You need to be at the ferry no later than 9:30 am for the security checkin.

I've received a lot of good info here, but have another question, mainly about New York. How do I get to Times Square from New York Penn Station? Will be arriving at the station via NJ Transit.

Do you have an exact destination in "Times Square"? You can walk the 10 blocks, take the subway, or take a cab. More exact directions depend on exactly where you want to go.

Looking for feedback. We are travelling on Adventure out of Cape Liberty on Friday May 25th. We're a party of 5 and driving down from RI. As suggested on this thread, it's difficult to get rooms for more than 4 people without having to get more than one room. Which becomes expensive. It's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive to the port with no traffic. So, was considering biting the bullet and get up early on the 25th to start the drive down around 3AM. Hoping get over to the Jersey side before rush hour starts. Find somewhere to have breakfast and hang for a bit before going to the port. Reasonable? I know CT and NY rush hour traffic is brutal. So hoping those more experienced can tell me if I'm crazy or not! I'd love to do a hotel the night before. But two rooms are going to run us 400-600.

Do you have an exact destination in "Times Square"? You can walk the 10 blocks, take the subway, or take a cab. More exact directions depend on exactly where you want to go.

Probably anywhere around there, then we can walk. I've been there before, but my daughter wants to see it. I would think probably around where there is/or was a Sephora store and some sort of big toy store area, if I remember the part of Times Square I think I remember.

Looking for feedback. We are travelling on Adventure out of Cape Liberty on Friday May 25th. We're a party of 5 and driving down from RI. As suggested on this thread, it's difficult to get rooms for more than 4 people without having to get more than one room. Which becomes expensive. It's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive to the port with no traffic. So, was considering biting the bullet and get up early on the 25th to start the drive down around 3AM. Hoping get over to the Jersey side before rush hour starts. Find somewhere to have breakfast and hang for a bit before going to the port. Reasonable? I know CT and NY rush hour traffic is brutal. So hoping those more experienced can tell me if I'm crazy or not! I'd love to do a hotel the night before. But two rooms are going to run us 400-600.

On Marriott.com right now for May 24 I'm seeing a 2 queen and sofabed at the Elizabeth Courtyard for $215 plus tax. That would put you at one of the closest hotels to the port that is booked by cruisers all the time.

If that doesn't work, let me know the bed configuration you need and your price range.

On Marriott.com right now for May 24 I'm seeing a 2 queen and sofabed at the Elizabeth Courtyard for $215 plus tax. That would put you at one of the closest hotels to the port that is booked by cruisers all the time.

If that doesn't work, let me know the bed configuration you need and your price range.

Unfortunately, would need 2 rooms. Travelling with adult children and one significant other. I just found Courtyard by Marriott Edison Woodbridge for $129 + tax a night. A bit further from the port, but get's me out of the 95 traffic through CT and NYC?

Unfortunately, would need 2 rooms. Travelling with adult children and one significant other. I just found Courtyard by Marriott Edison Woodbridge for $129 + tax a night. A bit further from the port, but get's me out of the 95 traffic through CT and NYC?

Look at lastminutetravel.com as well. The Ramada Plaza and Country Inns at EWR are both about $110/ room plus tax when you specify 5 people/2 rooms. The Ramada Plaza offers rooms with either a king or 2 doubles. Country Inns offers rooms with a king or two Queens.

Probably anywhere around there, then we can walk. I've been there before, but my daughter wants to see it. I would think probably around where there is/or was a Sephora store and some sort of big toy store area, if I remember the part of Times Square I think I remember.

The Toys R Us with the Ferris wheel is no longer there. There are a bunch of Sephora stores. Use google maps and type in Sephora. They will all pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums