CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Probably anywhere around there, then we can walk. I've been there before, but my daughter wants to see it. I would think probably around where there is/or was a Sephora store and some sort of big toy store area, if I remember the part of Times Square I think I remember.

Arriving on NJ Transit I would exit to the street (33rd & 8th is an option) and walk east to 7th Ave (NJ Transit arrives on the west side of Penn station). When you get to 7th Ave turn left to go north the 10-12 blocks to the Times Square area. It looks like Sephora is on Broadway between 43rd & 44th, so you can just go east on 43rd for a very short bit to Broadway.

Looking for feedback. We are travelling on Adventure out of Cape Liberty on Friday May 25th. We're a party of 5 and driving down from RI. As suggested on this thread, it's difficult to get rooms for more than 4 people without having to get more than one room. Which becomes expensive. It's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive to the port with no traffic. So, was considering biting the bullet and get up early on the 25th to start the drive down around 3AM. Hoping get over to the Jersey side before rush hour starts. Find somewhere to have breakfast and hang for a bit before going to the port. Reasonable? I know CT and NY rush hour traffic is brutal. So hoping those more experienced can tell me if I'm crazy or not! I'd love to do a hotel the night before. But two rooms are going to run us 400-600.

I did a quick search on Priceline and found an express deal for a 3 1/2 star hotel near EWR for $57/nt on May 24th. 2 rooms. There are several other options in the area as well.

I'm not an expert on the area but it sure sounds to me like I'd be driving down the night before and keeping my sanity in case you hit traffic. Lol

- Sent from my Samsung Note 8

I did a quick search on Priceline and found an express deal for a 3 1/2 star hotel near EWR for $57/nt on May 24th. 2 rooms. There are several other options in the area as well.

I'm not an expert on the area but it sure sounds to me like I'd be driving down the night before and keeping my sanity in case you hit traffic. Lol

- Sent from my Samsung Note 8

If you're going to use Hotwire or Priceline for a cheap hotel, you should look at Secaucus which is a much more suburbanlike area than Newark airport. At EWR a cheap hotel is a cheap hotel. The EWR hotels also charge for parking.

Driving down the night before is absolutely the best strategy.

Edited by 138east

There is a Sephora right on 34th St across from Macys Hearld Square a long city block walk East down 34th from Penn Station. Macys also has large makeup stuff on the first floor of the Broadway building. Men's and gadgets type stuff 1st floor of the 7th ave side building.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

There is a Sephora right on 34th St across from Macys Hearld Square a long city block walk East down 34th from Penn Station. Macys also has large makeup stuff on the first floor of the Broadway building. Men's and gadgets type stuff 1st floor of the 7th ave side building.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Arriving on NJ Transit I would exit to the street (33rd & 8th is an option) and walk east to 7th Ave (NJ Transit arrives on the west side of Penn station). When you get to 7th Ave turn left to go north the 10-12 blocks to the Times Square area. It looks like Sephora is on Broadway between 43rd & 44th, so you can just go east on 43rd for a very short bit to Broadway.

Thanks for all the info (Sorry I missed one of you, but for some reason the multi-quote didn't work like I thought). I wasn't looking to go to Sephora, I was just remembering two places that were in that particular area of Times Square the last time I was there (probably around 2001). I guess we'll just play it by ear, because I don't really know what she wants to see. I'd be fine if I never ventured into the city at all.

Thanks for all the info (Sorry I missed one of you, but for some reason the multi-quote didn't work like I thought). I wasn't looking to go to Sephora, I was just remembering two places that were in that particular area of Times Square the last time I was there (probably around 2001). I guess we'll just play it by ear, because I don't really know what she wants to see. I'd be fine if I never ventured into the city at all.

Just a heads up. Those “characters” that want you to pose with you in a pic expect you to pay them. Also, they are supposed to stay in the blue boxes not harass you if not in the box. Don’t be intimidated you can say no thank you and keep walking. If you want a pic first ask How much? Ask How much? Before agreeing to anything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a heads up. Those “characters” that want you to pose with you in a pic expect you to pay them. Also, they are supposed to stay in the blue boxes not harass you if not in the box. Don’t be intimidated you can say no thank you and keep walking. If you want a pic first ask How much? Ask How much? Before agreeing to anything lol

I remember them from a park that I visited last time, might have been Battery Park? Lots of characters, mimes, jugglers, salespeople selling phony items, etc. Thanks for the warning, though. I have read about this previously here in CC, albeit not about NYC, but about various islands one might visit.

Watch out for the young women who wear body paint in lieu of clothing. As of April they were on the left hand side when you are looking at the TKTS stairs.

I remember them from a park that I visited last time, might have been Battery Park? Lots of characters, mimes, jugglers, salespeople selling phony items, etc. Thanks for the warning, though. I have read about this previously here in CC, albeit not about NYC, but about various islands one might visit.

The parks also have Monks. Yes they are Asian and wear Monk robes but they are NOT religious monks. Just say no thank you and keep walking.

Hi all

Any advice please: We have no issue taking public transport and have taken the train / light rail in EWR / NY many times before.

We get off the Anthem on Saturday 24th March. We need to get to Penn Station NY, ASAP.

below is the 2 public transport options I found:

Taxi to 34th Street Light Rail Station, than HBLR to Newport, then PATH – 33rd Street

Taxi to 58 Legal St at Newark airport, then north Jersey coast Line train, straight to Penn Station.

2 Adults with no walking issues, but we will have 1 large and 1 small luggage each.

What would you do?

or, any other option, apart from a Taxi direct?

Thanks.

Hi all

Any advice please: We have no issue taking public transport and have taken the train / light rail in EWR / NY many times before.

We get off the Anthem on Saturday 24th March. We need to get to Penn Station NY, ASAP.

below is the 2 public transport options I found:

Taxi to 34th Street Light Rail Station, than HBLR to Newport, then PATH – 33rd Street

Taxi to 58 Legal St at Newark airport, then north Jersey coast Line train, straight to Penn Station.

2 Adults with no walking issues, but we will have 1 large and 1 small luggage each.

What would you do?

or, any other option, apart from a Taxi direct?

Thanks.

What time is your train from New York Penn Station and where is it going?

There is no vehicle access to Newark Airport Station at 58 Legal St. You would have to go to Newark Penn Station.

I just did the taxi, light rail, and PATH trip last month and can give you detailed advice when I know the time and destination of your train from NY Penn Station. The light rail/PATH route is actually light rail to Hoboken and PATH to 33rd St. It is about 2-3 blocks from the Newport Light Rail Station to the Newport PATH Station whereas the Hoboken connection is all within the Hoboken train station.

Looking for a recommendation for hotel May 30th. 2 adults. Driving in from the south (DC area). Leave the 31st on Anthem. Do not need transportation to port (would rather take own car). Would prefer to spend less than $200 for the night. Any and all suggestions very appreciated. Thanks!

Our train only departs Penn Station NY at 16:00 - 4pm.but, we need to be there as early as possible, as we want to drop off our bags, and spend a few hours touring the city.

OK - so no real time constraints. What I did was to self disembark, walked out to the taxi dispatching area in the outdoor parking area, and told the Dispatcher I wanted to go to the light rail station. The cab driver dropped me on Avenue E at the 34th St light rail station. The charge was $5 - for 2 people it should be $10. I tipped him $2 because he actually put my 2 bags in and took them out of the trunk. I bought a ticket from the machine and validated it - $2.25/pp - $1.10 for seniors - and rode to Hoboken Train station. As you face the water the light rail is on the far right. You walk towards the station and go left past all the tracks for the regular NJ Transit trains and out towards the street. The elevator to PATH will be on your right.

PATH is $2.75/pp. On a Saturday the train will arrive from Journal Square and then continue on to 33rd Street. If you see seats, grab them. The car closest to the turnstiles in Hoboken is going to be the furthest from the turnstiles at 33rd St, so that car may actually be the most empty. At 33rd St you walk towards the front of the train to exit. To the left there is a handicapped ramp. When you exit the turnstiles the elevator to the street will be right there to the left.

You will exit almost at the corner of 32nd St & 6th Ave. Just make a right and go east one Avenue to the 7th Avenue entrance to NY Penn Station. To get to Amtrak, you have to walk through the station towards the 8th Avenue side.

Great, thanks for your detailed explanation.

We will drop off our bags on the corner of 37th and 9th.

Our Train at 4 pm, will be the LIRR to Jamacia, than AirTrain to JFK, flight back to London.

Plane departs at 8 pm, so I think 4 hours will be enough time?

Great, thanks for your detailed explanation.

We will drop off our bags on the corner of 37th and 9th.

Our Train at 4 pm, will be the LIRR to Jamacia, than AirTrain to JFK, flight back to London.

Plane departs at 8 pm, so I think 4 hours will be enough time?

Four hours “should” be enough time unless there is some sort of systematic failure at Penn Station. You can sign up at PANYNJ.gov to receive text or email notifications about AirTrain and JFK. Don’t sign up until that day though.

You can also download the MTA LIRR Train Time App. That “should” inform you of any serious delays at Penn when you check.

I had the pleasure of visiting London and Edinburgh last summer and the public transportation in NYC is like a third world country compared to there. It’s an embarrassment. I would have a Plan B just in case the LIRR/AirTrain is out of service when you need it.

Four hours “should” be enough time unless there is some sort of systematic failure at Penn Station. You can sign up at PANYNJ.gov to receive text or email notifications about AirTrain and JFK. Don’t sign up until that day though.

You can also download the MTA LIRR Train Time App. That “should” inform you of any serious delays at Penn when you check.

I had the pleasure of visiting London and Edinburgh last summer and the public transportation in NYC is like a third world country compared to there. It’s an embarrassment. I would have a Plan B just in case the LIRR/AirTrain is out of service when you need it.

Thank You.

Plan B will be the subway, and Plan C will be a Taxi.

Thank You.

Plan B will be the subway, and Plan C will be a Taxi.

I assume you are going to use Schwartz Travel to store your luggage. If you end up with plan B for the subway, you need to know where the accessible entrances are to get on the uptown E train to Queens.

34 St-Penn Station c.pnge.png

Elevator at southeast corner of 34th Street and Eighth Avenue to uptown local c.pnge.png platform level.

42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal c.pnge.png

Elevator inside north wing of bus terminal (Eighth Avenue between 41st Street and 42nd Street) near airport bus ticket office. Note: Passageway to Times-Sq-42 St subway station is stair-free but contains ramps; however, these ramps are not ADA compliant.

I’ve been following this thread for awhile. Thanks for the great advice! DW and I are sailing on Anthem on June 14. We’re driving in from Ohio and staying at the Crowne Plaza on Wednesday June 13 ( booked thru Trinity Reservations, thanks!). We would like to spend Wednesday in Manhattan, visiting WTC, FDNY Ten House, lunch in Little Italy, etc.

We’re thinking of driving in to somewhere west of the Newark area on Tuesday, cash in some Hilton points for Tuesday night, then drive someplace and parking Wednesday morning. What is our best plan for this - park at Crowne Plaza Wednesday morning, park near Newark Penn Station for the PATH, or something else? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ve been following this thread for awhile. Thanks for the great advice! DW and I are sailing on Anthem on June 14. We’re driving in from Ohio and staying at the Crowne Plaza on Wednesday June 13 ( booked thru Trinity Reservations, thanks!). We would like to spend Wednesday in Manhattan, visiting WTC, FDNY Ten House, lunch in Little Italy, etc.

We’re thinking of driving in to somewhere west of the Newark area on Tuesday, cash in some Hilton points for Tuesday night, then drive someplace and parking Wednesday morning. What is our best plan for this - park at Crowne Plaza Wednesday morning, park near Newark Penn Station for the PATH, or something else? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're doing this on a weekday, so staying west of Newark, getting yourselves through morning rush hour traffic to park at Newark Penn Station, and then into Lower Manhattan is going to be a hassle and time consuming. You'll be competing with commuters, so finding parking could be an issue. The first thing I would do is to see if the Newark Penn Station Hilton can be booked on points. If not, check out if any of the Hilton properties at EWR can be booked on points.

From EWR it costs $11.25 pp each way to take NJ Transit and PATH to lower Manhattan. You will pay to park at any EWR hotel. If your goal is to get a full day in NY, then you need to spend the money on transportation and parking and not waste time dealing with the traffic and congestion of an unfamiliar highly urban area.

Can somebody please confirm how to:

If we get of the ship, and take a Taxi to EWR, and from there , take a train to Penn Station Manhattion

how would we do this?

thanks.

There is no vehicle access to the EWR train station. You would have to get dropped off at the P4 Airtrain Station and take the free Airtrain one stop to the EWR Airtrain station. The fare is $13/pp.

What I would do is to take a taxi or Uber to Newark Penn Station. NJ transit fare to New York Penn Station is $5.25/pp. The final cost should be a bit less, but Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub with red cap service available should you need it. It also has restrooms and eateries as well as escalators and an elevator up to the platform.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

From Newark Penn (or the airport) you can take any North Jersey Coast Line or Northeast Corridor train to New York Penn Station.

There is no vehicle access to the EWR train station. You would have to get dropped off at the P4 Airtrain Station and take the free Airtrain one stop to the EWR Airtrain station. The fare is $13/pp.

What I would do is to take a taxi or Uber to Newark Penn Station. NJ transit fare to New York Penn Station is $5.25/pp. The final cost should be a bit less, but Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub with red cap service available should you need it. It also has restrooms and eateries as well as escalators and an elevator up to the platform.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

From Newark Penn (or the airport) you can take any North Jersey Coast Line or Northeast Corridor train to New York Penn Station.

Greetings and thanks for all your help