CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

New question here: Are PATH and NJ transit different? We want to go from NJ Penn Station to the One World Tower. Which would I use? (We are from a rural area so have No Experience with any of this! Also saw a comment that it is easy to get from Liberty State Park to the statue of Liberty. Can anyone explain this? We are doing the World Tower Friday afternoon and am open on Sat. Thought this might be do-able! Thanks, as always, for everyone's input and information!

New question here: Are PATH and NJ transit different? We want to go from NJ Penn Station to the One World Tower. Which would I use? (We are from a rural area so have No Experience with any of this! Also saw a comment that it is easy to get from Liberty State Park to the statue of Liberty. Can anyone explain this? We are doing the World Tower Friday afternoon and am open on Sat. Thought this might be do-able! Thanks, as always, for everyone's input and information!

Could you provide more details so that I'm sure I understand your precise plans and hotel so can give you the right advice? It appears you are sailing on the Summit from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ. However I see posts from you about staying precruise in a Manhattan hotel.

PATH and NJ Transit are different, but you would be using one or both of them only if you're staying in a Newark area hotel.

If you had a car and were staying in a NJ hotel, driving to Liberty State Park to go to the Statue of Liberty would be an easier and a slightly less expensive option for 2+ people.

Does anyone know if the parking garage exit gate machines at Cape Liberty accept credit cards, or do you have to use the paystation before you go to your car? At some parking garages, if you are paying by credit card, you can skip the paystation -- the same slot that your ticket goes into also accepts a credit card.

138East - We are thinking of renting a wheelchair or rollinator from Scootaway. Since my accident, we have taken two cruises to Alaska that leave and come back to Vancouver (which is easy driving distance for us). In the ports in Alaska I did great with the rollinator.

But I have another question - my travel agent booked the transfer from the ship to the airport (without asking). Does the same travel distance apply to the drop off from the cruise ship as applies to getting to the free hotel shuttle (which we aren't doing!). She can cancel the transfer and I think I would prefer that and take a taxi. Any information?

Thanks again for ALL your help! Mary

Does anyone know if the parking garage exit gate machines at Cape Liberty accept credit cards, or do you have to use the paystation before you go to your car? At some parking garages, if you are paying by credit card, you can skip the paystation -- the same slot that your ticket goes into also accepts a credit card.

No, I have never seen that and we have sailed out of Bayonne 20 times.

You need to pay at the pay stations outside the parking garage after you exit the ship and before you get to your car. Keep the ticket you get when entering the garage with you during your sailing so you have and will be able to pay. Otherwise you will have to go back up to the car and get it and then go back to the pay station.

Your ticket is validated once you pay and then you can exit the garage.

You need to pay at the pay stations outside the parking garage after you exit the ship and before you get to your car. Keep the ticket you get when entering the garage with you during your sailing so you have and will be able to pay. Otherwise you will have to go back up to the car and get it and then go back to the pay station.

Very helpful, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

138East - We are thinking of renting a wheelchair or rollinator from Scootaway. Since my accident, we have taken two cruises to Alaska that leave and come back to Vancouver (which is easy driving distance for us). In the ports in Alaska I did great with the rollinator.

But I have another question - my travel agent booked the transfer from the ship to the airport (without asking). Does the same travel distance apply to the drop off from the cruise ship as applies to getting to the free hotel shuttle (which we aren't doing!). She can cancel the transfer and I think I would prefer that and take a taxi. Any information?

Thanks again for ALL your help! Mary

The cruise transfer bus will be able to drop off at the terminal. But it will be a bus, so if you're not comfortable climbing up onto a bus, I would take a taxi, which should be a similar price for two people.

138East: appreciate any answers. Hubby and I have booked a hotel room at the Hilton Penn Station near EWR. We arrive about noon and were thinking of taking the train to One World Tower so we can see it late afternoon and then as sunset and lights come on around NYC. (pretty cool...!!!) That is Friday night. Then coming back to Hilton. I assume safe on a Friday night about 8 pm or so) Then Sat. we want to see Statue of Liberty. Can do water tour or sail over and tour the island. Suggestions there are welcome.( Hubby doesn't need to see up close or Ellis Island as his ancestors been here forever. I saw it couple years ago.) We then thought we would walk around the area where ever we leave from. Another question I have is: when we leave NJ Penn Station do we take PATH or NJ Transit? Are they 2 separate ways of getting to NYC? Do we use both? How do we switch from one way to other? We are from a rural area and our town doesn't even have a traffic red light.......only blinking yellow!!! Help to all the above situations are welcome by all........

138East: appreciate any answers. Hubby and I have booked a hotel room at the Hilton Penn Station near EWR. We arrive about noon and were thinking of taking the train to One World Tower so we can see it late afternoon and then as sunset and lights come on around NYC. (pretty cool...!!!) That is Friday night. Then coming back to Hilton. I assume safe on a Friday night about 8 pm or so) Then Sat. we want to see Statue of Liberty. Can do water tour or sail over and tour the island. Suggestions there are welcome.( Hubby doesn't need to see up close or Ellis Island as his ancestors been here forever. I saw it couple years ago.) We then thought we would walk around the area where ever we leave from. Another question I have is: when we leave NJ Penn Station do we take PATH or NJ Transit? Are they 2 separate ways of getting to NYC? Do we use both? How do we switch from one way to other? We are from a rural area and our town doesn't even have a traffic red light.......only blinking yellow!!! Help to all the above situations are welcome by all........

Thanks for giving me your detailed plans.

Here are the transit maps. They are two separate systems that intersect at Newark Penn Station. NJ Transit goes to midtown Manhattan and PATH goes to downtown Manhattan. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

The PATH train leaves from Newark Penn Station(first stop) and goes to the World Trade Center (last stop) for $2.75/pp each way. You buy your ticket with cash or credit card from the ticket machine at the PATH turnstiles. Just look for PATH signs in Newark Penn station.

I just did the Freedom Tower at sunset in January. It was great! I don't see any issues coming back at 8 pm to the Hilton.

For the Statue of Liberty you can either buy tickets to go to Liberty Island or you can see it from a boat tour.

Statue Cuises to Liberty Island - https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

Liberty Cruises - boat tour - https://libertycruise.nyc/packages/package/liberty-cruise?gclid=CjwKCAjwwPfVBRBiEiwAdkM0HaX8rvcU-0mQN1EvlSwDhJd4j0HzWkp7fBAMXDWzG3ZPieRgXAli_BoCj1wQAvD_BwE

My advice is to keep it simple and be sure your boat tour leaves from lower Manhattan. On Saturday you would repeat your trip on PATH to the World Trade Center and find your pier. Statue Cruises leaves from the Battery Park/South Ferry area, which is about a 20 minute walk from World Trade. Leave plenty of time. Liberty Cruises leaves from the World Financial Terminal, which is just west of World Trade. Be sure you have a map.

There are numbers of other boat tours available, but many of them will leave from piers in other parts of Manhattan so you would need other directions.

If you just want to ride around New York Harbor, the Staten Island Ferry is free and you can see the SOL from it. It leaves from Battery Park/South Ferry at the tip of Manhattan. There are also MTA ferries that go around the East River for $2.75/pp per ride. These leave from Pier 11 in lower Manhattan on the East River near the end of Wall St. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

Edited by 138east

OK, thanks. I won't chance it then, since I don't want to be "that person" blocking the lane.

I just figured that since the garage seems to be run as the same company that runs the Port Imperial Ferry Terminal parking garage, they would have similar equipment.

If you are interested in a boat tour of NY Harbor that goes very close to the statue for photo ops, there is also the option of sailing tours. We did one and it was great. The sailing tours leave from either Battery Park or a pier adjacent to World Trade Center. We took a Schooner type ship but there are various sized sail boats a available. Very relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, thanks. I won't chance it then, since I don't want to be "that person" blocking the lane.

I just figured that since the garage seems to be run as the same company that runs the Port Imperial Ferry Terminal parking garage, they would have similar equipment.

Maybe the equipment can do it but they don't want people paying that way. I could see if there was a problem with one of the machines and traffic started backing up in the garage as there are only two exit lanes.

Forgive me for asking again, I'm sure it's already been covered but the thread is 84 pages long!!! We are flying into JFK and staying in New Jersey pre cruise out of cape liberty. Any recommendations of company's for a transfer from airport to hotel?

Also best way to travel from hotel to port, it's showing on google maps as only 9 miles away. Taxi or transfer?

Thanks in advance.

Forgive me for asking again, I'm sure it's already been covered but the thread is 84 pages long!!! We are flying into JFK and staying in New Jersey pre cruise out of cape liberty. Any recommendations of company's for a transfer from airport to hotel?

Also best way to travel from hotel to port, it's showing on google maps as only 9 miles away. Taxi or transfer?

Thanks in advance.

Look at Dial7 and Carmellimo for the JFK to hotel transfer.

Which hotel are you staying at? How many people are you? Do you use Uber?

Look at Dial7 and Carmellimo for the JFK to hotel transfer.

Which hotel are you staying at? How many people are you? Do you use Uber?

Thank you for those names.

We are in an apartment, Dharma home Suites, there are 4 of us, one toddler so would require a car seat. We are travelling from Ireland and don't use über here so it's not something I'm familiar with.

Thank you for those names.

We are in an apartment, Dharma home Suites, there are 4 of us, one toddler so would require a car seat. We are travelling from Ireland and don't use über here so it's not something I'm familiar with.

OK - so you're probably staying in Jersey City at Exchange Place. Check with Dial7 and Carmellimo for that trip as well.

Just so you know there is accessible light rail transportation right at Exchange Place to 34th Street Bayonne for $2.25/pp and half price for children under 12. The problem is getting a cab in Bayonne to go the 2 miles to the ship. Would you have US cell phone service? If you're interested, more details could be provided. These outbound light rail trains are empty on a cruise morning.

Has anyone stayed at hotels in the Tarrytown ny area. If we are traveling from NH would this be a possible area close to manhatten terminal? Thank you

Do you mean you want to drive down the day before from NH and stay in Tarrytown? It's approximately an hour drive to the Manhattan terminal. It is not convenient if you want to commute back and forth for sight seeing though.

Has anyone stayed at hotels in the Tarrytown ny area. If we are traveling from NH would this be a possible area close to manhatten terminal? Thank you

I see that you asked these questions at the end of January and were told about the Stamford CT hotels. Unfortunately I was on the Anthem at that time with limited internet, so I may have missed something with your posts. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55104839#post55104839

What hotels are you looking at in Tarrytown? It's a bit out of your way to stay there, but not unreasonable if there is a particular attraction for staying in that area. You simply get on the Saw Mill River Parkway and stay on it as it changes its name to the Henry Hudson Parkway and ends at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. However, coming from the Boston area I just don't see a reason to drive all the way across Westchester County to stay in Tarrytown unless you want to visit Sleepy Hollow and tour estates.

We just spent the weekend in the Stamford/Westchester area and stayed at the LaQuinta. Still a good basic hotel for one night. My second choice in that area is still the Hampton Inn in Stamford.

Here are the cars only directions through Westchester County.

If you come down I95 at Rye, NY there is a cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South at exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). You get off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go 2-3 blocks through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads directly onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. You stay on this road until you get to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

The are no triucks on this route and you will avoid any I95 traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87. If you leave around 9:30 am you will be after the morning rush hour and before folks go out shopping.

Thank you Got 2Cruise and 138east. We have moved since my last post and will now being coming down I91. Some directions take us down closet to Tarrytown area and I just wondered if that was closer. I made reservations at the LaQuinta back in Jan. So I will keep those. Is it about the same distance to the terminal? Thank you again. You are a great help.

Thank you Got 2Cruise and 138east. We have moved since my last post and will now being coming down I91. Some directions take us down closet to Tarrytown area and I just wondered if that was closer. I made reservations at the LaQuinta back in Jan. So I will keep those. Is it about the same distance to the terminal? Thank you again. You are a great help.

Coming south on I91 you take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. There is an exit only lane. This changes name to the Merritt Parkway at Milford. At Milford exit 54 you can easily cross over to I95. This exit is clearly marked as being a connection to I95. This brings you to the exit 38 area on I95 and you go south to exit 6 in Stamford. My advice is to use a traffic app to monitor these roads in case there is an unexpected traffic issue on one of them.

When you get off at exit 6, you go straight, make the second left under I95, and the hotel entrance is right there on your right at the Stamford Diner. It's an easy on to get back on I95 the next morning.

Maybe the equipment can do it but they don't want people paying that way. I could see if there was a problem with one of the machines and traffic started backing up in the garage as there are only two exit lanes.

Yes, now that I'm back from my cruise, I think that is the case. However they appear to have more then enough paystations available, with someone there to help you at each one. So there is really no need to even attempt to pay at the gate. It wouldn't save you any time, it would likely make things more complicated.

I was pretty impressed with the new parking garage there. Great addition to the new terminal facilities, which are such an improvement over the old ones. Those busses to the ship were such a pain!

Carol (138east) has given you sound advice about booking the Ramada through Trinity Reservations if you're looking for a park/sleep/cruise package that include transportation to and from the port.

If that's not what you want, whatever you do, steer clear of the Best Western Plus Newark Airport West. There's a reason they only charge $8 per day for parking. The hotel is in a really bad area...here's a quote from oyster.com, and it isn't even negative enough in my opinion. I wouldn't park my car there for 11 minutes, much less 11 days :

"A desolate location close to Newark Liberty International Airport, adjacent to an off-site airport parking lot and a trucking facility"

Thanks so much for the info....I am not familiar with the area and would have had NO idea