CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Quick question, driving in from Pittsburgh for an Anthem cruise. What's a good spot for a hotel say 30 min outside of Cape Liberty, but very close to I-78. Budget not really an issue, just somewhere nice for hotel, maybe dinner nearby for the night before the cruise, and then hopefully a short drive in the AM.

Thanks

Morristown NJ is an area that would fit your need for nice hotels and restaurants but it is a 15 plus mile drive from I 78. You can look at the Bridgewater NJ area, about 6 miles from I 78. Bridgewater is an hour from the cruise port but be aware there are frequent traffic issues on 78 East in the morning.

Morristown NJ is an area that would fit your need for nice hotels and restaurants but it is a 15 plus mile drive from I 78. You can look at the Bridgewater NJ area, about 6 miles from I 78. Bridgewater is an hour from the cruise port but be aware there are frequent traffic issues on 78 East in the morning.

Thanks. We stayed in Morristown a couple years ago, i liked it but I think some in our group thought it was too far off of the exit. What about the Springfield area...I see they have a couple hotels?

Springfield would be fine, but there don't appear to be any easy on easy off hotels near I78. Personally I would avoid a hotel on route 22 and go for something more in town. The Grand Summit is supposed to be nice and it's not a chain hotel.

We're sailing on the Anthem May 17th and are planning to drive up from the DC area and stay at the Courtyard Elizabeth the night before we sail. We want to arrive at Cape Liberty around 10, but will we be able to get into the parking garage that early? And if so, what time should we leave our hotel? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

We're sailing on the Anthem May 17th and are planning to drive up from the DC area and stay at the Courtyard Elizabeth the night before we sail. We want to arrive at Cape Liberty around 10, but will we be able to get into the parking garage that early? And if so, what time should we leave our hotel? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

No problem getting into the parking garage. You just drive in and take a ticket, which you need to take with you on the cruise so you can pay at the machines downstairs in the garage to get an exit ticket when you return.

You're sailing on a weekday morning, so there will be rush hour traffic. I'd leave about 9:15-9:30 to be there around 10-10:15.

I can't answer your question but was going to ask you if you would mind to post back on here how you liked the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth when you return? We are staying there as well pre cruise in Oct and I've never been to that area so your review of it will be helpful.

Thank you in advance. :)

Starting next week, there will be three ships sailing out of Bayonne for the summer. There is plenty of parking for all three. However, parking in the garage is not a given. You may be outside somewhere. I guess it will all depend on how many spots clear out for your sailing and how many are filled with Summit and Adventure passengers.

Starting next week, there will be three ships sailing out of Bayonne for the summer. There is plenty of parking for all three. However, parking in the garage is not a given. You may be outside somewhere. I guess it will all depend on how many spots clear out for your sailing and how many are filled with Summit and Adventure passengers.

Good point Joe. We're relying on cruisers to report back their parking experiences with 3 ships.

I haven't stayed at the LaQuinta in Secaucus but the reviews are good. For your date it is very well priced.

However, Secaucus is further north than the port. Are you just planning to drive up in the evening and stay over or are you going to arrive earlier in the day to shop and dine? If you're coming up at night, I would also look at the hotels near the Turnpike in East Windsor/Cranbury for a more suburban atmosphere at about 45 minutes from the port. How much money do you want to pay for a room?

We are driving up in the afternoon. Husband may want to go into Manhattan for dinner. We would like to keep the hotel below $200. How long would it take on a weekday to get to the pier from Secaucus?

We are driving up in the afternoon. Husband may want to go into Manhattan for dinner. We would like to keep the hotel below $200. How long would it take on a weekday to get to the pier from Secaucus?

You said the magic word - Manhattan.

Bus service to Port Authority Bus Terminal is excellent from Harmon Meadows. Here's the PDF map - all the hotels are listed at the bottom. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf

I would estimate the time to the port at about 30 min after 9:30-10:00. It's only 16 miles, most of which is Turnpike driving. Getting there between 10-10:30 is recommended to minimize drop off congestion.

I can't answer your question but was going to ask you if you would mind to post back on here how you liked the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth when you return? We are staying there as well pre cruise in Oct and I've never been to that area so your review of it will be helpful.

Thank you in advance. :)

We’re actually staying at the Courtyard Elizabeth but I’d be happy to report on it when we get back ;)

Good point Joe. We're relying on cruisers to report back their parking experiences with 3 ships.

Thanks so much for the tip regarding potential parking issues! I had no idea three ships would be sailing from Cape Liberty that day.

We’ve actually been debating whether to rent a car to drive up from DC and return it at Newark airport so we don’t have to deal with parking it in the city for four days after the cruise. We would take a shuttle from the airport to our hotel and Uber to the pier the next day. After our cruise we would either take the train from Newark into the city or Uber. Then we would take the train back to DC (4 tickets for $196).

This approach is a bit convoluted but avoids paying for four days of SUV parking in Manhattan and gets us to the pier nice and early with no parking stress. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks so much for the tip regarding potential parking issues! I had no idea three ships would be sailing from Cape Liberty that day.

We’ve actually been debating whether to rent a car to drive up from DC and return it at Newark airport so we don’t have to deal with parking it in the city for four days after the cruise. We would take a shuttle from the airport to our hotel and Uber to the pier the next day. After our cruise we would either take the train from Newark into the city or Uber. Then we would take the train back to DC (4 tickets for $196).

This approach is a bit convoluted but avoids paying for four days of SUV parking in Manhattan and gets us to the pier nice and early with no parking stress. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Only one ship sails from Cape Liberty on any particular day. It's just that this is the first time three different ships will be using the port . In past years at most two ships used the port, so the addition of one ship, Adventure of the Seas, will increase the number of cars parked at the port.

Four days of SUV parking in NY City will be very expensive...most garages have hefty large vehicle surcharges on top of the already high parking charge, so your alternate plan makes some sense .

Edited by njhorseman

This also seems like a reasonable plan. If you do this, I would plan to drop your luggage off at the Courtyard first and then return the car. Check the exact location of the rental car company. Some are located on the Airtrain and some are "off airport" with shuttles. To get to your hotel you're going to have to ride the Airtrain to the P4 station for the hotel shuttles, so that's better done without luggage since you have that option.

After the cruise you would want to Uber to Newark Penn Station to take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for $5.25/pp or PATH for $2.75/pp. What is the address of your hotel? This will determine which public transit option to use. Don't take the train from Newark Airport. It costs $13/pp and you would still have to pay for an Uber to the P4 station at EWR and schlep your luggage on the Airtrain to the airport train station which has NO vehicle access.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

After the cruise you would want to Uber to Newark Penn Station to take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for $5.25/pp or PATH for $2.75/pp. What is the address of your hotel? This will determine which public transit option to use. Don't take the train from Newark Airport. It costs $13/pp and you would still have to pay for an Uber to the P4 station at EWR and schlep your luggage on the Airtrain to the airport train station which has NO vehicle access.

This is really helpful - thanks! We're borrowing a friend's apartment at 150 E. 44th Street (a block from Grand Central Station). Based on this, which mode of public transportation should we use from Cape Liberty?

This is really helpful - thanks! We're borrowing a friend's apartment at 150 E. 44th Street (a block from Grand Central Station). Based on this, which mode of public transportation should we use from Cape Liberty?

Reality check. How much are you into public transit if it's accessible? There are several ways to do this, but they almost all end with a short cab ride or Uber ride in NYC because I'm not a fan of trying to find the accessible ways with luggage onto the NY subway. The easiest but most expensive way would actually be to take a shared shuttle to an EWR terminal and the airport bus to Grand Central. The cheapest way would be to take a cab from the pier to the light rail station ($5/pp). Light rail to Hoboken - $2.25/pp. PATH to 33rd St $2.75/pp. cab to apartment - $10-15. Medium cost would be Uber to Newark Penn Station, train to NY Penn and cab/Uber to the apartment.

We’re actually staying at the Courtyard Elizabeth but I’d be happy to report on it when we get back ;)

Oh man I totally read that wrong. So sorry. I don't really need the Courtyard but enjoy your vacation:cool:. 😀

Reality check. How much are you into public transit if it's accessible? There are several ways to do this, but they almost all end with a short cab ride or Uber ride in NYC because I'm not a fan of trying to find the accessible ways with luggage onto the NY subway. The easiest but most expensive way would actually be to take a shared shuttle to an EWR terminal and the airport bus to Grand Central. The cheapest way would be to take a cab from the pier to the light rail station ($5/pp). Light rail to Hoboken - $2.25/pp. PATH to 33rd St $2.75/pp. cab to apartment - $10-15. Medium cost would be Uber to Newark Penn Station, train to NY Penn and cab/Uber to the apartment.

For me, a key determinant in getting from Cape Liberty to Manhattan will be space for luggage. It's a nine-day cruise and each of us (four in total) will have a 25-inch roll-aboard plus a backpack or tote. Is the train most likely to have space versus light rail? I'm intrigued by the airport bus to Grand Central since we're staying only a block away, but would there be adequate space for our bags?

For me, a key determinant in getting from Cape Liberty to Manhattan will be space for luggage. It's a nine-day cruise and each of us (four in total) will have a 25-inch roll-aboard plus a backpack or tote. Is the train most likely to have space versus light rail? I'm intrigued by the airport bus to Grand Central since we're staying only a block away, but would there be adequate space for our bags?

The airport bus has under the bus luggage storage. It will cost about $18/pp. Are you 4 adults traveling?

How early do you plan to do this on a Sat morning? There can be economies of scale with 4 people. I'd also price out a car Service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Figure base price plus $15-17 tolls plus 18-20% tip on the base price.

There is likely to be space on the light rail since the train originates at 8th St in Bayonne. If necessary you will be able to stand with luggage on the NJ Transit train. Folks are likely to get off at Newark Penn Station to connect with other transit. PATH originates at Newark Penn Station, so if you go towards the front or rear of the train, you're more likely to get seats. For this trip you want to transfer at Journal Square, which is where PATH to 33rd St originates. The front of the train from JSQ will become the back of the train after Hoboken and the back of the train will become the front, if that makes any sense.

The airport bus has under the bus luggage storage. It will cost about $18/pp. Are you 4 adults traveling?

How early do you plan to do this on a Sat morning? There can be economies of scale with 4 people. I'd also price out a car Service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Figure base price plus $15-17 tolls plus 18-20% tip on the base price.

There is likely to be space on the light rail since the train originates at 8th St in Bayonne. If necessary you will be able to stand with luggage on the NJ Transit train. Folks are likely to get off at Newark Penn Station to connect with other transit. PATH originates at Newark Penn Station, so if you go towards the front or rear of the train, you're more likely to get seats. For this trip you want to transfer at Journal Square, which is where PATH to 33rd St originates. The front of the train from JSQ will become the back of the train after Hoboken and the back of the train will become the front, if that makes any sense.

This is really helpful - thanks so much! Yes, there are four adults traveling (me, DH and 18 year-old twin sons). I'm not sure if I mentioned we'll be disembarking the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend so it will be Fleet Week. I don't know if this will make a difference in terms of traveling via road (i.e., bus) versus rail?

This is really helpful - thanks so much! Yes, there are four adults traveling (me, DH and 18 year-old twin sons). I'm not sure if I mentioned we'll be disembarking the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend so it will be Fleet Week. I don't know if this will make a difference in terms of traveling via road (i.e., bus) versus rail?

Don't know about Fleet week. Folks will tend to go away for the 3 day weekend,

NJ transit schedule - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Three trains per hour - all within 20 minutes and then a 40 minute wait. If you have a long wait, PATH becomes an excellent option transferring at Journal Square for 33rd St. PATH will run every 20 minutes from Newark and every 15 minutes from Journal Square - http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.cfm

Fleet Week mostly affects traffic near or right along the Hudson River in the general vicinity of 12th Ave in the low 40's to low 50's near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. It shouldn't be an issue for you.

Fleet Week mostly affects traffic near or right along the Hudson River in the general vicinity of 12th Ave in the low 40's to low 50's near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. It shouldn't be an issue for you.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm glad to hear Fleet Week won't affect our travel plans.

For those who are staying by the Newark airport the day before your cruise and are wondering, as I did, about where to get wine to bring onboard - I called our hotel, the Country Inn and Suites, to find the closest liquor store and they told me they sell many different kinds of wines for $15 a bottle. I doubt that it would be the kind of wine my husband would like (he's a connoisseur) so we may just pack it in our regular luggage and transport it to the airport from home. There is a liquor store on Spring St about 2 miles from our hotel called Wine Cellars if anyone is interested.

That's a great find! They have a fairly comprehensive web site with moderately priced wines, so perhaps it would be possible to pre order wine and take a quick taxi/Uber ride to go there and collect it.