CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We will be disembarking the Anthem on Thursday morning 9/20/18. Will we have enough time to make a 12:15 flight out of Newark? Awaiting a reply before we book our flight. Thanks.

You should be fine with a 12:15 flight. However, you need to make it a priority to get yourselves off the ship and get to EWR. You can book a car service or go to the taxi dispatcher for a private car or a shared shuttle to EWR. Anthem normally docks by 6:00 am, so disembarking should not be an issue. You can basically carry off your luggage after 6:30-7:00 am if you like. If you target 9:00 am, you should be at EWR in plenty of time for your flight.

Traveling solo on Celebrity Summit 9/23/18 - 10/7/2018. Arriving at EWR on 9/23/18 at 0751hrs (ship sails at 1600hrs) and flying back home out of EWR with departure at 1405hrs. Any idea what cab fare might be both ways, or Uber. Celebrity wants $57 round trip.

Traveling solo on Celebrity Summit 9/23/18 - 10/7/2018. Arriving at EWR on 9/23/18 at 0751hrs (ship sails at 1600hrs) and flying back home out of EWR with departure at 1405hrs. Any idea what cab fare might be both ways, or Uber. Celebrity wants $57 round trip.

Cab fare would run $50-60 each way. Uber about $40-50 each way. Not many options for a solo traveler other than the Celebrity transfer to the pier. Coming back you can go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty to get a shared shuttle to the airport for $20.

There are public transit/cab options to Cape Liberty that cost about $17 - $23. These involve bus or NJ transit train, PATH, Hudson Bergen Light Rail, and Uber/local Bayonne cab. The bus leg only allows 2 bags 22" x 16" x 8". There are some senior discounts. Details can be provided.

We will be disembarking the Anthem on Thursday morning 9/20/18. Will we have enough time to make a 12:15 flight out of Newark? Awaiting a reply before we book our flight. Thanks.

Normally I would say yes, but having gotten off the Summit this morning and experienced the hell that was the customs line, I'd say add 1 hour. 1 hour and 45 minutes of pure aggravation with an uneven disbursement of agents per queue set up and other nonsense and I was group 9.

I’m thinking it might be contract negotiation time. Every once in awhile the US Customs will decide to do everything by the book. This has happened to us once in NYC, once in Puerto Rico and even once in US Virgin Islands. A mess all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know when Anthem will have a waiting room for passengers leaving the terminal and waiting for transportation? Cruising in February.

No update on that as yet. It's a huge dissatisfier. Cape Liberty can be frigid in the winter.

This winter, they had a "warming bus". Yes, a big tour bus that you could sit in while you waited for your ride. With the heat blasting. ;)

(Unfortunately, I didn't find out about this until AFTER I had sat outside, freezing, for more than 20 minutes. :eek:

I’m thinking it might be contract negotiation time. Every once in awhile the US Customs will decide to do everything by the book. This has happened to us once in NYC, once in Puerto Rico and even once in US Virgin Islands. A mess all around.

They had 3 agents for queues 30 ppl wide x 6 deep. Then they were pulling those special and wheelchair people into the front of that line. The other line section (porter) was moving but there was no way to get off the middle line so ppl who were fortunate enough to get placed in that line from the main queue had half the wait. Total mismanagement.

This winter, they had a "warming bus". Yes, a big tour bus that you could sit in while you waited for your ride. With the heat blasting. ;)

(Unfortunately, I didn't find out about this until AFTER I had sat outside, freezing, for more than 20 minutes. :eek:

Thanks for the info about the warming bus. I wish they had something inside.

You should be fine with a 12:15 flight. However, you need to make it a priority to get yourselves off the ship and get to EWR. You can book a car service or go to the taxi dispatcher for a private car or a shared shuttle to EWR. Anthem normally docks by 6:00 am, so disembarking should not be an issue. You can basically carry off your luggage after 6:30-7:00 am if you like. If you target 9:00 am, you should be at EWR in plenty of time for your flight.

Thank you. We will target 9:00 a.m. and hopefully the line won't be too long at Customs.

Normally I would say yes, but having gotten off the Summit this morning and experienced the hell that was the customs line, I'd say add 1 hour. 1 hour and 45 minutes of pure aggravation with an uneven disbursement of agents per queue set up and other nonsense and I was group 9.

Wow, I hope they get that fixed before September. Thanks for the info.

I also have a question about travel time to the airport. We will be disembarking the Anthem in October and have a flight out of LGA at 1:45 p.m. . Will we have enough time? Do we need to carry off our luggage? This will be on a Saturday.

Thank you in advance.

I also have a question about travel time to the airport. We will be disembarking the Anthem in October and have a flight out of LGA at 1:45 p.m. . Will we have enough time? Do we need to carry off our luggage? This will be on a Saturday.

Thank you in advance.

You should have plenty of time to make a 1:45 flight. Anthem docks around 6 am and folks usually start disembarking between 6:30 and 7:00. I would book a car service for 9:30-10 am, which gives you about 4 hours to get to LGA. However, pay attention to what's going on. If disembarkations seem to be slow, get yourselves off the ship. If customs is backed up, hire a porter to get you through.

You should have plenty of time to make a 1:45 flight. Anthem docks around 6 am and folks usually start disembarking between 6:30 and 7:00. I would book a car service for 9:30-10 am, which gives you about 4 hours to get to LGA. However, pay attention to what's going on. If disembarkations seem to be slow, get yourselves off the ship. If customs is backed up, hire a porter to get you through.

Good to know. Thanks again Carol..I appreciate all your wealth of information and replies. 👍😀

Question for 138 East

Looking for your suggestions regarding airport/hotel given these plans for Oct 18 cruise out of Cape Liberty

Party A flying in Tues Oct 16 and flying out Sat Oct 27. Will Uber/Taxi to/from airport.

Party B driving in from PA same day. Will drive home Sat Oct 27.

Want to visit NYC for Broadway play evening Oct 16 and do NBC/911 tours Oct 17.

Budget is flexible.

Not opposed to parking at cruise terminal if best logistics.

Spent time trying to browse thread but thought I'd just go to the expert...best combo of airport to use for Party A and most convenient hotel for plans.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ron

Question for 138 East

Looking for your suggestions regarding airport/hotel given these plans for Oct 18 cruise out of Cape Liberty

Party A flying in Tues Oct 16 and flying out Sat Oct 27. Will Uber/Taxi to/from airport.

Party B driving in from PA same day. Will drive home Sat Oct 27.

Want to visit NYC for Broadway play evening Oct 16 and do NBC/911 tours Oct 17.

Budget is flexible.

Not opposed to parking at cruise terminal if best logistics.

Spent time trying to browse thread but thought I'd just go to the expert...best combo of airport to use for Party A and most convenient hotel for plans.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ron

Party A - 2 people? Party B - 2 people? Can you all fit in the 1 car to drive to the port? Budget range?

Party A - 2 people? Party B - 2 people? Can you all fit in the 1 car to drive to the port? Budget range?

Party A is 1. Party 2 is 2. Yes can fit all to drive to port.

Budget is flexible based upon what makes most sense.

Thanks

Cab fare would run $50-60 each way. Uber about $40-50 each way. Coming back you can go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty to get a shared shuttle to the airport for $20.

Curious about the cost shown for Uber above. I’ve looked up the route of the Port to EWR on my Uber and Lyft apps and both show costs of about $20 one way for an XL vehicle that can accommodate luggage. Is this not accurate?

You have to balance time, money, and stress. Basically you want to make two trips into NYC and you have a car available. You can stay in Secaucus, Jersey City, or Newark Airport. My first recommendation would be to look at the LaQuinta at Harmon Meadows in Secaucus. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf This gives you good bus access to Manhattan, reasonable price for 2 rooms, and free breakfast and free parking. Everyone drives to the pier and pays the $180 to park. The only down side is that party A has to pay for an Uber to Secaucus from the airport or take the train from the airport to Secaucus Junction for $12.75 plus an Uber from the station to the hotel. If this doesn't suit, we can discuss Jersey City or Newark Airport.

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth the night before we board the Adventure. Is there anywhere nearby that we can pick up wine before boarding. My sister and her husband will be in a nearby hotel and we want to go to the port together. Would Uber XL be our best option. We hope to have dinner together at the nearby mall. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Joan

You have to balance time, money, and stress. Basically you want to make two trips into NYC and you have a car available. You can stay in Secaucus, Jersey City, or Newark Airport. My first recommendation would be to look at the LaQuinta at Harmon Meadows in Secaucus. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf This gives you good bus access to Manhattan, reasonable price for 2 rooms, and free breakfast and free parking. Everyone drives to the pier and pays the $180 to park. The only down side is that party A has to pay for an Uber to Secaucus from the airport or take the train from the airport to Secaucus Junction for $12.75 plus an Uber from the station to the hotel. If this doesn't suit, we can discuss Jersey City or Newark Airport.

Awesome. You are great. Will look into now.

Ron

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth the night before we board the Adventure. Is there anywhere nearby that we can pick up wine before boarding. My sister and her husband will be in a nearby hotel and we want to go to the port together. Would Uber XL be our best option. We hope to have dinner together at the nearby mall. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Joan

Which hotel will your sister and husband be in?

No one has found a place to buy wine near the airport hotels. If you don't have a car, buying wine will be another Uber ride and probably not worth the expense.

The Mall area restaurant offerings are IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, Johnny Rockets, Chilis, and the food court.

We will be going on the Anthem 6/28 sailing. We are driving up from the Philly suburbs. We are thinking about staying at the La Quinta in Secaucus, NJ the night before the cruise. Is this a good choice?

I haven't stayed at the LaQuinta in Secaucus but the reviews are good. For your date it is very well priced.

However, Secaucus is further north than the port. Are you just planning to drive up in the evening and stay over or are you going to arrive earlier in the day to shop and dine? If you're coming up at night, I would also look at the hotels near the Turnpike in East Windsor/Cranbury for a more suburban atmosphere at about 45 minutes from the port. How much money do you want to pay for a room?

Quick question, driving in from Pittsburgh for an Anthem cruise. What's a good spot for a hotel say 30 min outside of Cape Liberty, but very close to I-78. Budget not really an issue, just somewhere nice for hotel, maybe dinner nearby for the night before the cruise, and then hopefully a short drive in the AM.

Thanks

Quick question, driving in from Pittsburgh for an Anthem cruise. What's a good spot for a hotel say 30 min outside of Cape Liberty, but very close to I-78. Budget not really an issue, just somewhere nice for hotel, maybe dinner nearby for the night before the cruise, and then hopefully a short drive in the AM.

Thanks

I used to live in that area, but not current on the hotel options. The reality is that Newark Airport is already 20-30 minutes from the port, but that area is a highly industrialized urban area that really doesn't qualify as "somewhere nice".

Embassy Suites in Berkeley Heights is right off of I78 showing at $254 plus tax for June 13. Estimated time to port 40-50 minutes leaving after 9 am. If that doesn't suit, post back with more details.