CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hello. We will be driving from ME to Cape Liberty on Mar 17 Sat. We will travel I95 to 78, Are there any changes we shd be aware of from that point (exit 14A) to the port? I searched for the awesome directions I had from Carol to print, but couldnt locate them. Thanks much

Sorry, it is two adults and a 12 year old. We really need Queens. We have a king at home so even a Queen is miserable lol. We live on the south shore of MA.

If we park at the hotel and take their shuttle what time I would we get back to our car?

I can't find you any reasonable deal with two Queens for a Park,Sleep, cruise. I can find you a king and a sofa bed at Springhill Suites for $170 plus $12 parking. You need a room on a Wed night, which is peak business travel time.

Hello. We will be driving from ME to Cape Liberty on Mar 17 Sat. We will travel I95 to 78, Are there any changes we shd be aware of from that point (exit 14A) to the port? I searched for the awesome directions I had from Carol to print, but couldnt locate them. Thanks much

Are you taking I95 through Mass, RI, and CT? What exact directions are you looking for?

We are driving up as a family of six in July and we had a bit of a challenge finding hotel, parking, shuttle options that were reasonably priced. Finally found a hotel on Staten Island (Holiday Inn Express, Wild Avenue) that offers very affordable parking and will arrange a shuttle for us to and from the port. Maria with the hotel was wonderful to work with. They also offer shuttles to the Staten Island Ferry if people are interested in going that route into Manhattan before or after the cruise.

We will be traveling down I 95 (spending night in Milford Ct). Any construction we shd be aware of? Thanks

From Milford I prefer the Merritt Parkway over I95, but probably not a big difference on a Sat Morning. Exit 14A is still under construction, but that shouldn't be a problem on a Sat morning.

We are driving up as a family of six in July and we had a bit of a challenge finding hotel, parking, shuttle options that were reasonably priced. Finally found a hotel on Staten Island (Holiday Inn Express, Wild Avenue) that offers very affordable parking and will arrange a shuttle for us to and from the port. Maria with the hotel was wonderful to work with. They also offer shuttles to the Staten Island Ferry if people are interested in going that route into Manhattan before or after the cruise.

Rooms for 5-6 people are a huge challenge in the Cape Liberty area. Coming from the South, Staten Island is a good choice

Hello there experts! I'm looking at booking the Adventure cruise from San Juan to Cape Liberty May 5th. So I would only be leaving from NJ, not flying in. I'm looking at leaving from EWR or LGA. LGA flight @ 2:45pm is about $50 cheaper than EWR flight at 2:00pm.

I read somewhere that the transportation from Cape Liberty to LGA is a lot more expensive than the transportation to EWR. Can anyone enlighten me and help me out with this? Also, do you have an approximate idea of how much the transfer (taxi or Uber) would be from Cape Liberty to both EWR and LGA? I really appreciate the help!

Hello there experts! I'm looking at booking the Adventure cruise from San Juan to Cape Liberty May 5th. So I would only be leaving from NJ, not flying in. I'm looking at leaving from EWR or LGA. LGA flight @ 2:45pm is about $50 cheaper than EWR flight at 2:00pm.

I read somewhere that the transportation from Cape Liberty to LGA is a lot more expensive than the transportation to EWR. Can anyone enlighten me and help me out with this? Also, do you have an approximate idea of how much the transfer (taxi or Uber) would be from Cape Liberty to both EWR and LGA? I really appreciate the help!

You can take a shared shuttle from Cape Liberty to EWR for $20/pp and Uber for even a bit less. LGA should run $100-120 when you add in tolls ($15-23 depending on the route) and tip. Bottom line - it's very close financially in which case I would opt for the much easier and more reliable trip to EWR.

Hi...We are taking a repositioning cruise on the Summit in April, from San Juan to Cape Liberty. Does anyone know if you can park at Cape Liberty if your cruise does not start there?

Other than "it's not a public parking garage" I haven't found a definitive answer to this question in the boards. We are on the same repositioning cruise in April. We would like to spend a couple pre-cruise days in San Juan. We wanted to park at the cruise port on Thursday and use Uber/Lyft to get to the airport. Parking at the cruise port is cheaper than the airport and as others have mentioned, it would be nice to have the car waiting at the Cape Liberty when we return on the 29th. Does anyone no for certain if you can park at Cape Liberty mid-week?

Other than "it's not a public parking garage" I haven't found a definitive answer to this question in the boards. We are on the same repositioning cruise in April. We would like to spend a couple pre-cruise days in San Juan. We wanted to park at the cruise port on Thursday and use Uber/Lyft to get to the airport. Parking at the cruise port is cheaper than the airport and as others have mentioned, it would be nice to have the car waiting at the Cape Liberty when we return on the 29th. Does anyone no for certain if you can park at Cape Liberty mid-week?

"It's not a public parking garage" means "NO". This question has been asked for other repo cruises and the answer has always been no.

You can certainly park at EWR for less than the $20/day rate charged for parking at Cape Liberty. A lot of hotels offer parking only. Post your exact dates and we can look around for you.

"It's not a public parking garage" means "NO". This question has been asked for other repo cruises and the answer has always been no.

You can certainly park at EWR for less than the $20/day rate charged for parking at Cape Liberty. A lot of hotels offer parking only. Post your exact dates and we can look around for you.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Actually this is not true..

I received a call from the port director today after leaving a message concerning the parking garage and whether or not I could park there prior to leaving from EWR to fly over to PR to embark on my repositioning cruise back to Bayonne.

As per his message he said the garage is automated and open 24hrs. He stated that upon arrival I would receive a ticket at the gate which I needed to keep and present when I was leaving the garage. I will pay for however many days my car has been parked there.

So apparently it is possible to park there as long as u are returning there.

I am calling tomorrow to speak to him directly just to make sure, but his message was very clear.

I will confirm with you all tomorrow.

You can take a shared shuttle from Cape Liberty to EWR for $20/pp and Uber for even a bit less. LGA should run $100-120 when you add in tolls ($15-23 depending on the route) and tip. Bottom line - it's very close financially in which case I would opt for the much easier and more reliable trip to EWR.

Thanks so much for the information!!!

Actually this is not true..

I received a call from the port director today after leaving a message concerning the parking garage and whether or not I could park there prior to leaving from EWR to fly over to PR to embark on my repositioning cruise back to Bayonne.

As per his message he said the garage is automated and open 24hrs. He stated that upon arrival I would receive a ticket at the gate which I needed to keep and present when I was leaving the garage. I will pay for however many days my car has been parked there.

So apparently it is possible to park there as long as u are returning there.

I am calling tomorrow to speak to him directly just to make sure, but his message was very clear.

I will confirm with you all tomorrow.

That is great news! I'm glad to hear that they are making use of the automated capabilities of the garage. Please keep us updated so we can share this info with others. The name and phone number of the port director would be helpful.

Just a few comments. Folks have reported that the parking machines won't take $100 bills. Another consideration would be the hours you choose to drop off or pickup your car. I would plan to do it during the day when the 911 Memorial is open (7 am - 7 pm?). Personally I wouldn't want to be wandering around CL in the middle of the night and trying to arrange a cab or Uber/Lyft pickup or drop off. Unattended means unattended, so probably not much assistance available at odd hours.

Leaving from Cape Liberty on March 6th (never used that port) coming back the 17th and it looks like the Holiday Inn Express in Staten Island is the best bet for a sleep and cruise package? 2 adults, 2 kids. We are coming from CT bur would prefer to leave the car in a hotel lot with one of those packages.

Leaving from Cape Liberty on March 6th (never used that port) coming back the 17th and it looks like the Holiday Inn Express in Staten Island is the best bet for a sleep and cruise package? 2 adults, 2 kids. We are coming from CT bur would prefer to leave the car in a hotel lot with one of those packages.

What is the cost of Holiday Inn tax included with 12 nights parking and roundtrip port transportation?

Did you look at Trinityreservations.com for the Ramada Plaza which $235 tax included for room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation but no breakfast?

It appears Holiday Inn offers free breakfast but you are likely to pay additional tolls to get there.

What is the cost of Holiday Inn tax included with 12 nights parking and roundtrip port transportation?

Did you look at Trinityreservations.com for the Ramada Plaza which $235 tax included for room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation but no breakfast?

It appears Holiday Inn offers free breakfast but you are likely to pay additional tolls to get there.

I will check out the Ramada Plaza option....thanks.

That is great news! I'm glad to hear that they are making use of the automated capabilities of the garage. Please keep us updated so we can share this info with others. The name and phone number of the port director would be helpful.

Just a few comments. Folks have reported that the parking machines won't take $100 bills. Another consideration would be the hours you choose to drop off or pickup your car. I would plan to do it during the day when the 911 Memorial is open (7 am - 7 pm?). Personally I wouldn't want to be wandering around CL in the middle of the night and trying to arrange a cab or Uber/Lyft pickup or drop off. Unattended means unattended, so probably not much assistance available at odd hours.

Confirmed with the Port Director whose name is Timothy. Got his number through the automated system.

He stated that the garage is always open and you can park there at whatever hour you need to. Although like you said, for safety reasons, earlier is probably better. I will be arriving between 6:30-7:30pm, but I plan to set up my Uber/Lyft, prior to arriving, so we don't have to wait in the garage at night.

**He did state that every once in a while there may be a cone in front of the entrance lane, but I can just move it over and enter. **

I've been following this forum for some time now trying to develop a plan for our 10/5 Celebrity Summit cruise. We'd like to visit the 9-11 museum and memorial prior to the cruise. My tentative plan is to fly into EWR on 10/5 staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station at $118 per night. As I have it figured, I can get a free shuttle to the hotel and the next day take the train from the connected station directly to the sites and back. That leaves me with a second night at the hotel the on 10/6 and finding transportation to Cape Liberty the next morning. Make sense?

I've been following this forum for some time now trying to develop a plan for our 10/5 Celebrity Summit cruise. We'd like to visit the 9-11 museum and memorial prior to the cruise. My tentative plan is to fly into EWR on 10/5 staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station at $118 per night. As I have it figured, I can get a free shuttle to the hotel and the next day take the train from the connected station directly to the sites and back. That leaves me with a second night at the hotel the on 10/6 and finding transportation to Cape Liberty the next morning. Make sense?

This is a good plan. Just to be precise to get to the 911 Memorial you take PATH from Newark Penn Station to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan for $2.75. The "train" is NJ Transit which takes you from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station in midtown Manhattan for $5.25. At the airport you have to take the elevator or escalator up to the free Airtrain to go to the P4 station to connect with your free hotel shuttle to the Newark Penn Station Hilton (as opposed to the Newark Airport Hilton).

Lots of folks have been using Uber & Lyft to go to Cape Liberty. If you prefer a car service, try Summit Taxi. From Newark Penn Station it is also possible to take accessible public transit (PATH and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne plus Uber/lyft or taxi into the port).

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Hello -

I posted this question a few weeks ago and didn’t see a response. Are there any issues with parking at the Port - given that there are ‘multiple’ ships that leave during the week on different days? That is, does the ‘rolling turnover’ cause availability issues? We are going to be on the Summit Aug 5. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello -

I posted this question a few weeks ago and didn’t see a response. Are there any issues with parking at the Port - given that there are ‘multiple’ ships that leave during the week on different days? That is, does the ‘rolling turnover’ cause availability issues? We are going to be on the Summit Aug 5. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is plenty of parking at Cape Liberty. If the garage is full, there is a huge paved outdoor parking area across from the garage within easy walking distance of the terminal.

OK, I've read tons, but still haven't quite figured out my best options, so here goes. Am leaving Port Liberty on Sunday, April 29th. My daughter and I will be driving down from New Hampshire the day before (with a Friday overnight stop in Connecticut). Need a hotel for 2, shuttle to the port and parking during the cruise (coming back the following Sunday). Daughter has never been to NYC, so she figures we'll get to NJ early Saturday and can spend some time in NYC, so would need to figure out the best way to get there from the hotel. Anybody have a suggestion on the best options? I know about Trinity Reservations, but since I'm not familiar with the area, have no clue what may be convenient for the side trip to NY. I've also heard Embassy Suites is a good place to stay, but I believe you have to book them directly, no idea about their parking, and I think I read that the shuttle to the port is $20PP each way, so that's $80 just for transport.