CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

This question may be out there on this thread but there are 173 pages of this thread. We sail out of Cape Liberty in June. We are looking for a hotel that offers a shuttle to the port and allows us to leave our car there (even if there is a fee involved).

This question may be out there on this thread but there are 173 pages of this thread. We sail out of Cape Liberty in June. We are looking for a hotel that offers a shuttle to the port and allows us to leave our car there (even if there is a fee involved).

138east had some good suggestions for this. They're all over $200 for a night stay and a week of parking and shuttle. Seemed very high priced to me but apparently it's the norm in that area.

138east had some good suggestions for this. They're all over $200 for a night stay and a week of parking and shuttle. Seemed very high priced to me but apparently it's the norm in that area.

It’s not high priced at all if you consider that parking at the port is $20 per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$20 per day is not cheap either. But in line with the overpriced area in general.

Yes. You are in NYC area. Everything is expensive. But just so you know, simply cross the river to the Manhattan terminal and parking is $40.00 a day and that is considered a bargain compared to other parking in same area in Manhattan.

But you bring up a very good point. Folks from out of the area have sticker shock when they see prices as compared to home. Even the cost of a meal at a chain restaurant is going to be much higher than the cost back home.

Thanks. It makes me feel a little better that someone else in a similar situation has come to the same conclusion. Seems less complicated as well. Any advice on navigating the cruise terminal? One website described it as "hectic" and we've only been to Port of Miami for another cruise. We are supposed to get "Priority Check In" through AAA but not sure how much difference that makes.

Get to the cruise terminal by about 10:30 am. Adventure is not yet sailing from CL, so no one knows how embarkation will work. Don't hold your breath about priority check in.

Not keen on "Bayonne Cruise Parking" because the insurance status of its port shuttle is questionable. The parking is in a lot next to a storage facility that is open to the public during the day. The surrounding area is a highly urban industrialized area. I understand the need to save money, but you also should understand exactly what you're getting (or not getting) for those savings.

Has anyone flown into JFK and taken a shuttle from there? I thought I read they have a bus/shuttle for $20 pp to the port?

The $20 shuttle is from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport (EWR).

If you're flying in the same day you will need to book a car service from JFK or see if a cruiseline transfer us available.

I’m flying home on JetBlue (JFK) after the cruise on Anthem coming into Bayonne. I’m very interested in how to get from port to JFK. I’m thinking Uber. I’ll be alone but with suitcases, so I’ll need car service of some sort.

Look at Dial7 or Carmellimo. If your flight is late enough, the cruiseline might offer a transfer for $99 that includes a Manhattan tour.

Hi East Coast Cruisers,

We will be cruising on Anthem of the Seas for spring break 2019 (March 30, 2019.) It will be my wife and 3 kids (17, 12 & 9.) We are from Oregon and my wife and kids have never been to New York City. We love cruising and have been on 12 cruises, but all out of Florida and Galveston. My wife and two older girls (17 & 12), will be leaving 3 days early to "sight see" in New York and I will come day before cruise with youngest son. Here is my tentative plan and I was hoping you "Newark and NYC experts" could comment good or bad and offer some advice. I have about two more months before flights and hotels open up. FYI, we like to travel as nice as we can but on a reasonable budget (i.e. we like "good deals", but would spend more if it made sense or was more practical.) Also, wife and daughters are alert and seasoned travelers. Here is the draft plan:

• Wife and two daughters leave Wednesday morning and fly to EWR and stay at Springhill Suites Newark Liberty Airport. Free airport/hotel shuttle.
  • Thursday: they shuttle back to EWR and take trains to NYC. Sightsee NYC.
  • Friday: they shuttle back to EWR and take trains to NYC. See Broadway play/sightsee NYC.
  • Friday: I fly into EWR with younger son and meet up with them that night at hotel (son and I don't need to see NYC, plus I'm limited with time off at work. However, I am looking forward to seeing it from the ship!)
  • Saturday: we taxi or private shuttle to Port and board ship.
  • Weeklong cruise to Bahamas on Anthem of the Seas!
  • Saturday return AM: we fly out of EWR between 12:00-3:00pm to PDX

Does this sound like a reasonable/feasible plan? How hard and safe is it to get from EWR into NYC sightseeing places (i.e. Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Broadway play, other???) How long is the train? Would it be better for them to stay somewhere else for the 2-3 nights before we leave for cruise? If so, where? Would a better airport be better for them flying in? The Springhill Suites Newark Airport sounds like a good home base but I'm not sure? Right now they have two full days to see NYC. Should they add a night and come in Tuesday? Any advice, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi East Coast Cruisers,

We will be cruising on Anthem of the Seas for spring break 2019 (March 30, 2019.) It will be my wife and 3 kids (17, 12 & 9.) We are from Oregon and my wife and kids have never been to New York City. We love cruising and have been on 12 cruises, but all out of Florida and Galveston. My wife and two older girls (17 & 12), will be leaving 3 days early to "sight see" in New York and I will come day before cruise with youngest son. Here is my tentative plan and I was hoping you "Newark and NYC experts" could comment good or bad and offer some advice. I have about two more months before flights and hotels open up. FYI, we like to travel as nice as we can but on a reasonable budget (i.e. we like "good deals", but would spend more if it made sense or was more practical.) Also, wife and daughters are alert and seasoned travelers. Here is the draft plan:

• Wife and two daughters leave Wednesday morning and fly to EWR and stay at Springhill Suites Newark Liberty Airport. Free airport/hotel shuttle.
  • Friday: they shuttle back to EWR and take trains to NYC. See Broadway play/sightsee NYC.
  • Friday: I fly into EWR with younger son and meet up with them that night at hotel (son and I don't need to see NYC, plus I'm limited with time off at work. However, I am looking forward to seeing it from the ship!)

Does this sound like a reasonable/feasible plan? How hard and safe is it to get from EWR into NYC sightseeing places (i.e. Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Broadway play, other???) How long is the train? Would it be better for them to stay somewhere else for the 2-3 nights before we leave for cruise? If so, where? Would a better airport be better for them flying in? The Springhill Suites Newark Airport sounds like a good home base but I'm not sure? Right now they have two full days to see NYC. Should they add a night and come in Tuesday? Any advice, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Flying into EWR is the best airport to fly into for your stay in Jersey and cruising from Bayonne. NJ Transit is the public transportation system.http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TripPlannerTo

Should be easy traveling from EWR into the city but likely includes a transfer. Springhill Suites appears to be in an isolated area by the airport.

Check into hotels in Jersey City/Hoboken/Weehawken. The commute into the city from these locations will be easier, quicker and cheaper. The views of the NYC skyline are amazing. You will pay more for these hotels but worth it.

If sightseeing includes visiting the Statue of Liberty, ferry boats depart/return from Jersey City to Liberty/Ellis island as well as from lower Manhattan.

Hi everyone: we will be driving down to Manhatten Cruise Port in aug from NH. We are looking for a hotel outside of the port and the Hilton Westchester in a Rye Brook was suggested. I was wondering if that was a good choice? If anyone has directions that are better than gps I would appreciate them. ( both to the hotel and from hotel to pier) GPS always wants to keep us on 95. We would be open to any hotel suggestions also in that area. Thank you!

Hi East Coast Cruisers,

The plan is reasonable and feasible, but IMO it may not be the best allocation of time and transportation money because it will cost your group of 3 people at least $26/pp to go in and out of midtown Manhattan by hotel shuttle, Airtrain and NJ Transit train taking 1+ hour each way. Springhill Suites provides free breakfast, but the only other food service is two hotels away at the Courtyard Newark.

What is your hotel budget? Are you AAA members? Can you do two doubles and a sofabed? My suggestion would be to start a new thread when the March 2019 rates become available for the Doubletree and Courtyard in Jersey City. This would put your ladies either next to or near the Newport Path Station for a 20 minute ride to midtown or a 10 minute ride to downtown for $2.75/pp each way in a nice upscale area with restaurants, shops, services, and a waterfront Boardwalk with spectacular views of lower Manhattan.

Hi everyone: we will be driving down to Manhatten Cruise Port in aug from NH. We are looking for a hotel outside of the port and the Hilton Westchester in a Rye Brook was suggested. I was wondering if that was a good choice? If anyone has directions that are better than gps I would appreciate them. ( both to the hotel and from hotel to pier) GPS always wants to keep us on 95. We would be open to any hotel suggestions also in that area. Thank you!

What is the exact date you need a hotel? Number of people? Hotel budget? Once you decide where to stay, I can post the cars only directions to the port.

Look at Dial7 or Carmellimo. If your flight is late enough, the cruiseline might offer a transfer for $99 that includes a Manhattan tour.

Thanks! Flight is 2pm, so I’m going right to airport.

What is the exact date you need a hotel? Number of people? Hotel budget? Once you decide where to stay, I can post the cars only directions to the port.

Hotel would be for august 7th , two adults, hilton is showing $229, (prefer not over that!) thanks for your help

Hotel would be for august 7th , two adults, hilton is showing $229, (prefer not over that!) thanks for your help

Nothing wrong with the Hilton, but you might also want to look at the Hampton Inn in Stamford which is showing at $199 with further discounts for AAA or joining Hilton Honors. Strategy would be to cut over to I95 at Milford CT Exit 38 and then return to the Hutchinson River Parkway at exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT. We've stayed in this hotel twice.

A more basic but acceptable hotel would be the LaQuinta in Stamford for $119 with further discounts for AAA. Right off I95 with the attached good Stamford Diner. We've stayed there in a comfortable Queen room and will be staying there again at the end of March.

Nothing wrong with the Hilton, but you might also want to look at the Hampton Inn in Stamford which is showing at $199 with further discounts for AAA or joining Hilton Honors. Strategy would be to cut over to I95 at Milford CT Exit 38 and then return to the Hutchinson River Parkway at exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT. We've stayed in this hotel twice.

A more basic but acceptable hotel would be the LaQuinta in Stamford for $119 with further discounts for AAA. Right off I95 with the attached good Stamford Diner. We've stayed there in a comfortable Queen room and will be staying there again at the end of March.

If we booked laquinta would we use above directions

To return to HRPkwy. Thank you

138 East,

You gave us info on Trinity Reservations for our cruise last year to Canada. Thank you so much for your help! We booked through them for another cruise this Sept. I noticed last year that the Ramada offered a shuttle to NYC, but we arrived after their last shuttle in and couldn't use it. I read an online review that said a bus runs from Manhattan and stops directly at the Ramada. Is this correct info? Thank you in advance for your help.

Also, we have stayed at the Hilton in Secaucus b4, using points. We arranged for parking there during our cruise. What would be the cheapest way to get to the cruiseport in Bayonne from this hotel?

138 East,

You gave us info on Trinity Reservations for our cruise last year to Canada. Thank you so much for your help! We booked through them for another cruise this Sept. I noticed last year that the Ramada offered a shuttle to NYC, but we arrived after their last shuttle in and couldn't use it. I read an online review that said a bus runs from Manhattan and stops directly at the Ramada. Is this correct info? Thank you in advance for your help.

Also, we have stayed at the Hilton in Secaucus b4, using points. We arranged for parking there during our cruise. What would be the cheapest way to get to the cruiseport in Bayonne from this hotel?

I'm not seeing a direct public bus from the Ramada to Manhattan. NJ Transit bus #40 runs about once an hour from the bus stop on Frontage Road in front of the Doubletree to Newark Penn Station where you can get PATH to downtown or NJ Transit train to uptown.

From the Hilton in Secaucus I would get a quote from Secaucus Taxi and check Uber/Lyft pricing.

If we booked laquinta would we use above directions

To return to HRPkwy. Thank you

You would get onto I95 south. After CT exit 2 you take NY exit 21 onto I287 west towards the Tappan Zee Bridge. Take exit 9S to get onto the Hutchinson River Parkway South.

Here are the high level directions:

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. Stay on the Henry Hudson until the road ends at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

:cool:

I'm not seeing a direct public bus from the Ramada to Manhattan. NJ Transit bus #40 runs about once an hour from the bus stop on Frontage Road in front of the Doubletree to Newark Penn Station where you can get PATH to downtown or NJ Transit train to uptown.

From the Hilton in Secaucus I would get a quote from Secaucus Taxi and check Uber/Lyft pricing.

Hello. We are sailing on the Anthem 6/14/18 and flying into EWR the day before. I booked a night at the embassy as I see its near a mall and restaurants within walking distance.

My question, we need transportation for 2 from the hotel to cruise port and then cruise port to airport after the cruise. Would you recommend uber, a cab, or shuttle for our needs? We will arrive at EWR at 2pm the day before and have a 12:15p return flight.

Hello. We are sailing on the Anthem 6/14/18 and flying into EWR the day before. I booked a night at the embassy as I see its near a mall and restaurants within walking distance.

My question, we need transportation for 2 from the hotel to cruise port and then cruise port to airport after the cruise. Would you recommend uber, a cab, or shuttle for our needs? We will arrive at EWR at 2pm the day before and have a 12:15p return flight.

We stayed at the ES last year. The hotel shuttle runs from station P4 of the Airtrain (as all hotel shuttles do), so no problem there. We used the hotel shuttle to the cruise port. They use an independant company that has about 8 16 seat minibuses and they just keep shuttling until everyone is done (they also do the Country Inn across the road). Its $20pp each way and first shuttle is 10am. We got the 11am and were still at CL before they let you start boarding. I spoke to the guy who ran the operation and he said on return, they start picking up from CL around 7.30. By what he said, I think they will drop you at EWR if you want...if not, its just the hotel shuttle back to P4. It suited us, though we only did the one way trip. Book the shuttle at the front desk on arrival at ES. The mall is a 5 minute walk across the car park from ES and between the mall and the ES is Ruby Tuesdays (closest) and IHOP(furthest). Of course, the mall has a food court. One other thing, the ES free drinks reception in the evening only allows one free drink per person (voucher obtained from front desk). After that, all drinks are $2. This is due to local law.

Simon