I've tried cruising twice and don't think I like it

MelAMes

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines.

You must continue to cruise, and hopefully on princess.

Cruise Critic is a magnet for complaints about the smallest possible thing(s).

Someone who hates to cruise, and hates princess will be a perfect 'member' here.

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had. The customer service was UNBELIEVABLY BAD! I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. But after 6 attempts, they are still ignoring me. If I were to behave this way in my own business, I'd surely be fired. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Lives under bridges.

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had. The customer service was UNBELIEVABLY BAD! I had such a traumatizing experience, all I could think about upon disembarking was contacting Princess Customer Relations. I thought for sure they would be appalled and send me an apology letter or something. But after 6 attempts, they are still ignoring me. If I were to behave this way in my own business, I'd surely be fired. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Your 1st post and it's to complain.

MelAMes if you love to travel, especially internationally, I’m sure you’ve come up against other customer service issues as many countries just don’t give customer service the emphasis that we do. While cruises might not be for you, I’m sure you didn’t let poor customer service ruin your other wonderful travel experiences.

Cruise vacations are not for everyone. it sounds like the OP might be better served by doing some kind of land vacation. And you (the OP) might also consider that if you have issues with Princess and still want to cruise, then try another cruise line.

Hank

Maybe you need to try a different cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You should try a different cruise line. They’re not all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise vacations are not for everyone. it sounds like the OP might be better served by doing some kind of land vacation. And you (the OP) might also consider that if you have issues with Princess and still want to cruise, then try another cruise line.

Hank

It's doubtful the OP will ever be back to comment (methinks he or she is a one hit wonder), but I completely agree with Hank. We are seasoned cruisers on a variety of lines and just returned from the Emerald Princess. Please, before flaming, I fully recognize this is a Princess board and cruiseline loyalty is fierce ;) However, had this been my first or even second cruise, I might have come to the same conclusion as the OP.

Fortunately, there are many different cruiselines to suit all tastes and interest, as well as a variety of land vacations. To each his/her own.

On this Thanksgiving day, I'm thankful to have the ability (financially and health wise) to travel (be it cruising or land based) and experience the world.

Safe travels to all.

Cruising is not for everyone, but before you give up, you might try another line which has things you are interested in! You’re in the right place for information such as themed cruises or places you’ve always dreamed of going but couldn’t afford it! And, if all else fails, pack your bags and go have fun with people and places you love! Have fun, life is too short!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let cruises work for you. Cruising the Hawaiian islands, to wake up at a different island each day an free food was a dream. We have gone thru a 15 year period were we wanted the spend a week in certain destinations without cruising. Now we loved a Med cruise to see so much without having to pack and unpack.

IMHO, go with other forms of vacation travel. Cruising experience is not for you. It’s not for everyone. There is no shame in that.

Good luck.

Am I the only one? I love to travel, and I've only been on two cruises - both with Princess Cruise lines. The first was to Mexico in 2010 and the second was to Alaska a couple months ago. After the first, I said I'd rather not do it again, but so many people convinced me to give it another shot. Unfortunately the Alaska cruise was the worst travel experience I've ever had.

Maybe if you brought a tuba?

We actually haven't tried RCCL yet.

First few were on Pacific Princess and fell in love.

Tried a few since, the only one that really came close was Celebrity (in fact in a few areas they were probably better) but had our first cruises been on P&O, or even Emerald Princess, may have saved me a fair bit of money.

Ben on 12 RCCL cruises; going on Princess for the first time. RCCL is a wonderful cruise line for families. But do not go if you do not like crowds. There largest ships hold over 6000.

To those who find after a few cruises they do not like it: here are a few tips to try again. 1. Find the right ship and the right itinerary. 2. If you do not like a lot of kids on the ship avoid the summer months. 3. Try an all adult cruise line. 4. Try going with another couple. 5. If you want to share a table with strangers in the MDR be careful who you dine with for seven days; do not be afraid to move. Everyone has horror stories of sitting with the walking dead; or is that the sitting dead. LOL

We have cruised over 600 days and haven't been on one yet I did not like. However, I get asked all the time questions like---What ship is best?---What cruise lineis best?---Which cruise did you like best?---and which cruise would you suggest for us. I point out there is no such thing as a "Best", ship, line, cruise or whatever, what is best is best for you. Half of our days at sea have been on Princess. HAL and Regent account for the remainder.

There are characteristics people have that render cruising of any type simply not enjoyable. I notice this about a lot of my golfing friends or those who have served in the military a lot where considerable travel was involved. I actually was a commercial pilot once plus a good percentage of my professional career was with the airlines not as a pilot. I didn't particularly like to travel for business purposes then, but I do love cruising and leisure forms of travel.

Today there is such a variety in types of cruising it is difficult for someone to pick a cruise they really like the first time. I suggest a lot of thought and research should go into those questions before they book. For instance,some prefer lots to do on the vessel and on shore so they don't get bored, most with those aspirations gravitate toward the more modern gigantic ships. If like us, who like a lot of sea days and not a port every day, smaller ships on exploration type voyages are best. I hate to book a cruise that isn't at least four weeks long. We also like formal nights but about 70% of today's cruisers do not like dress up and detest the high style of yesteryears ocean voyaging.

Edited by kennicott