Carnival charge my account three times for final payment!

Cakediva1

Anyone else experiencing this today? I went online to make my final payment and received an error message that payment was not processed please try again or call. After 3 attempts I called to make payment over the phone. Well guess what! The payment did go through THREE TIMES! After 1 hour and 27 minutes on the phone with them, they will refund my money. Duh. But guess what...it will take 5 business days for the refund to show on my account. Can we say snowball effect boys and girls with car note and mortgage payments coming through! What did Carnival offer me....a bottle of dry champagne or apple cider for my troubles. Really Carnival? Really?

I don't know about you situation but maybe the CCL site is wacked out today.

I just came from there - have a May and a Dec booking. The site would not let me go to Online Check-in for the Dec cruise. It kept shooting me back to the May cruise. It's never done that before.:o:(:eek:

That does suck, I never hit the pay button more than once, but I can see why you did. I use an account that is tied to text banking, so I get an instant alert anytime a charge hits my account, I won’t use a card online,that doesn’t allow me to instantly know if my account has been charged.

Hopefully the next 5 days won’t cause any financial hardships.

Good luck

I didn't hit the pay more than once. I tried. Got out of the site. tried again. I immediately checked my account and there were no charges. So I'm thinking ok cool it didn't go through. I never had an issue with paying them online especially when it said payment was not processed. I got the feeling when I spoke with a supervisor they are getting calls left and right. Hence the reason they are giving out champagne and not OBC.

You use a debit card I guess? I've had things like this happen a few times...not necessarily with carnival. But this is a reason to use a credit card then pay off the credit card. If you have multiple charges your CC company can remove them.

Not excusing Carnival in any way but,,,,, welcome to the real world.

The same thing has happened to most of us in some form or fashion. Just didn't have a social media site to go vent to. At least you got something.

It will all work out.

Sorry you had to experience this.

Anyone else experiencing this today? I went online to make my final payment and received an error message that payment was not processed please try again or call. After 3 attempts I called to make payment over the phone. Well guess what! The payment did go through THREE TIMES! After 1 hour and 27 minutes on the phone with them, they will refund my money. Duh. But guess what...it will take 5 business days for the refund to show on my account. Can we say snowball effect boys and girls with car note and mortgage payments coming through! What did Carnival offer me....a bottle of dry champagne or apple cider for my troubles. Really Carnival? Really?

Ugh! That is awful! Especially having to wait 5 business days. This is why I do not use my debit card when paying for hotels or for our cruise. I don’t like holds of any kind or having to wait on refunds...btdt. I purchased aarp gift cards, then applied those gift cards to pay for my cruise. Not only did I save 10 %, but I never interfered with our checking account or gave a company access to our checking acct, which all of our bills are paid from. But I guess if one is using Carnival’s auto monthly pmt option, using discounted gift cards is not an option.

You use a debit card I guess? I've had things like this happen a few times...not necessarily with carnival. But this is a reason to use a credit card then pay off the credit card. If you have multiple charges your CC company can remove them.

Thank goodness it was not my "main" account. The bank is going to remove them thank goodness. Even if I used my credit card and it was triple charged, it is still a hassle. I'm not going to let it ruin my day or my up coming cruise!

The same thing has happened to most of us in some form or fashion. Just didn't have a social media site to go vent to. At least you got something.

It will all work out.

Thanks! Unfortunately this is not my first time at the rodeo but what are you going to do. I think it was more of the lack of caring from the supervisor. Again, not my first time at the rodeo dealing with that as well lol

Depends what card you use, We use Capital One and they would have text or emailed me about a duplicate charge. They are very efficient with their fraud department.

My bank does as well. I think I was so on top of it, I didn't give them a chance to contact me lol

Thank goodness it was not my "main" account. The bank is going to remove them thank goodness. Even if I used my credit card and it was triple charged, it is still a hassle. I'm not going to let it ruin my day or my up coming cruise!

It happens. Heck it can happen when ordering food online. I never hit that submit button again until I'm sure the payment hasn't happened. Because I've had that happen a few times before (not with Carnival).

It happens. Heck it can happen when ordering food online. I never hit that submit button again until I'm sure the payment hasn't happened. Because I've had that happen a few times before (not with Carnival).

Reasonable people know this and react accordingly.

Others, not so much.

It will all work out.

Exactly. A phone call should have been made at the first error message. Would have saved a whole lot of aggravation.

The website should work flawlessly, but that ain't ever gonna happen. Esp if dealing with money, if any error shows up, call. You are not trying to add an egg timer to your Amazon cart after all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

header_img_logo.png

IMPORTANT PAYMENT INFORMATION

March 15, 2018

Dear Guest,

Between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM today, credit card payments that were attempted did not post on your reservation in a timely manner. Our records indicate that you submitted multiple payments, and all attempted transactions were posted, resulting in unintended excess payments.

Our teams are working diligently to process refunds of the excess amounts and expect to have this completed by 8:00 PM tomorrow. It may take a few days for the refund to reflect on your credit card statement. Please disregard confirmations received with the overpaid amounts.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Denese+Waiters+Signature.jpg

Denese Waiters

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers

Sorry Cakediva, that this happen to you. But sounds like you were frustrated and maybe over rreacted just a bit about what Carnival had done to you.

By the looks of the letter you got from Carnival above, it is all going to come out ok.

As others have said, the use of a credit card next time would take care of all your problems. Then once resolved, just pay off your credit card from you account tied to your debit.

I just don't see why people want to use thier debit card for the cruise. Too many hassles.

Sorry Cakediva, that this happen to you. But sounds like you were frustrated and maybe over rreacted just a bit about what Carnival had done to you.

By the looks of the letter you got from Carnival above, it is all going to come out ok.

As others have said, the use of a credit card next time would take care of all your problems. Then once resolved, just pay off your credit card from you account tied to your debit.

I just don't see why people want to use thier debit card for the cruise. Too many hassles.

Thanks! But I had every right to get upset and frustrated. You were not on the phone with them. This happened to EVERYONE who tried to pay on their site- hence the letter that went out to all that were affected. I am just glad that it all was taken care of. Like another poster mentioned you can use your card anywhere for anything and it could happen. Grocery store, gas station, restaurant etc. Welcome to modern technology! Gotta love it! :cool:

This happened to me as well. Just shy of $1000, for the failed attempts. I contacted carnival, and they said it would take 7-10 business days to refund the money. So, there mistake and they get to collect interest on everybody's money that isn't there's? They essentially told me to suck it up and offered me a straw to help choke on it.

First time cruiser...and definitely not happy with Carnival. Couldn't even offer me something for holding my money for 2 weeks that was wrongfully taken. That's called fraud...

Not happy!

This happened to me as well. Just shy of $1000, for the failed attempts. I contacted carnival, and they said it would take 7-10 business days to refund the money. So, there mistake and they get to collect interest on everybody's money that isn't there's? They essentially told me to suck it up and offered me a straw to help choke on it.

First time cruiser...and definitely not happy with Carnival. Couldn't even offer me something for holding my money for 2 weeks that was wrongfully taken. That's called fraud...

Not happy!

That is just how the system works for merchants. Nothing they can do to speed it up over ant other circumstance.

Ray's right. For some reason a refund takes longer to process. It's very aggravating and the merchant has no control over that part of the transaction. I know lots of people don't want to use credit cards, but this incident is why it's a good idea to use them and pay off when due to avoid any charges. We use a credit card all the time, but log the charges in our checkbook register. If the money is not in checking, we don't charge.