Breakaway Vibe Review

kernie968

My husband and I were on the Breakaway on the 10/22/2017 sailing. This was my first time on the Breakaway without being in the Haven, so I really wanted to try getting Vibe passes. For us this was not a problem as my husband has many issues with walking, so we were granted wheelchair assistance which means we board the same time as the Haven people. Once on board we went to Guest Services which was empty except for us and two other people. We asked for a cabana and they handed us an envelope for cabana 1, but I asked to have cabana 3 which they gave us.

When you buy a cabana they tell you the price is $329 for the week, but you will get a $100 OBC to use only in vibe on food and drinks. I told them that was fine. It took a day and a half before my account showed the OBC had gone to the price of purchasing the cabana! That was great since we had the drink package anyways and I was not sure if we could spend $100 on food at vibe.

So we went up after lunch to see what our cabana looked like. There were a lot of people up there talking and getting to know each other and my husband's first thought was this is going to be a loud party kind of place. He was happy we were going to have a cabana so he could hide and not have to socialize. He is not a talker. Turned out that the only time it was loud was the first time. A lot of times we were the only one there.

So the cabanas are bigger than I thought they would be.

enhance

It is nice that they have doors on both sides as my husband is tall and his feet hung off the end of the loungers so it would have been hard to sneak out without tripping over him.

The loungers split in two which is nice so you can both lay the way you like.

enhance

There are storage spaces on each side of the lounger.

enhance

Just realized I did not upload all my photos. To be continued....

They would bring us a pitcher of water every time we went into our cabana.

enhance

There was an electrical outlet, but I forgot to bring up my phone charger to see if it worked.

enhance

The sunshade blocks some of the sun, but does not stop rain.

enhance

We loved the cabana! It was a great place to take naps or just lay and look at the ocean.

enhance

The bartenders learn your name the first day. They know what you like to drink and will make you a surprise drink if you are not sure what you feel like drinking. Some of the surprise drinks were good, some were OK.

The weather affects your ability to use vibe. On sea days it can be windy and cold. Our first sea day it seemed to rain as soon as we laid down in our cabana no matter what time we went. Our second day it poured most of the day, but I knew better weather was coming!

We spent most of our day in the cabana while we were in Nassau. Just laying there and looking at that beautiful water was the best. Sheldon, one of our bartenders even offered to get us food from the buffet so we would not have to leave.

enhance

The hot tubs were empty early in the morning, but by afternoon they would be used. I usually spent an hour by myself in the hot tub followed by mimosas in the cabana.

Having a cabana makes it so we did not get to know the other people in the vibe. We did see a lot people become friends as it is a small area and you see the same people everyday, but we chose to be hermits.

We were treated to fruit skewers and ice wash clothes a few of the days. My biggest complaint would be that the bar closes at 7PM and they start shutting it down at 6:30 so they really only offer wine and beer after that which we do not drink. The vibe is pretty at night so I wish the bar had been open longer.

enhance

enhance

Overall we loved vibe. It is worth the money even though you cannot use it much if it is raining, windy and cold, but the days you can use it make it worth the money. It gave us a bar that was never crowded and hot tubs that were never completely full like the ones on the pool deck. They have music playing all the time, but it was not loud music. Husband complained because it is the same songs over and over which I did not notice until he mentioned it.

Comparing Vibe to Haven, the vibe wins. No kids! I think we would have been fine without the cabana as there would never have been a problem getting a lounger or chair, but the cabana gave us privacy which was really nice on a huge ship with thousands of people and a husband that is anti-social.

We had the same cabana on our first Breakaway cruise. Agree 100% with your review. $329 sounds like a lot but with the OBC it's really $229 for two people (like you, they told us it was a food-and-beverage credit for the Vibe but in reality was applied as straight OBC). Two vibe pass cost $198, so ultimately the cabana costs $31 for the week. That's a helluva bargain for a guaranteed, covered spot for just the two of you.

We had the same cabana on our first Breakaway cruise. Agree 100% with your review. $329 sounds like a lot but with the OBC it's really $229 for two people (like you, they told us it was a food-and-beverage credit for the Vibe but in reality was applied as straight OBC). Two vibe pass cost $198, so ultimately the cabana costs $31 for the week. That's a helluva bargain for a guaranteed, covered spot for just the two of you.

I thought you had to pay for Vibe and the cabana separately?

So these are the pictures of vibe that are not the cabana. There were ashtrays at the bar so I was worried about smoke, but I only saw one person smoking the whole time I was there.

enhance

There was a shower that no one ever used and two bathrooms in this area.

enhance

This is the entrance. There were always towels by the bar when you arrived.

enhance

These chairs are behind the cabanas. They did get used a lot in the afternoons.

enhance

The wind can be tough up in vibe. A few of the days I watched the workers set up all the chairs and umbrella, then a few hours later they had to take them down, so if you went up there would be no shade. Of course when it is windy it is hard to lay out not freeze.

If you are in Haven, do you have access to Vibe? We will be sailing in Haven but there is no bar on outside deck in Breakaway Haven so I am interested in having access to Vibe to get drinks.

Vibe is a separate entry fee, although as a Haven guest you will be among the first on the ship and won't have to rush to Guest Services to get a pass (your Concierge will also likely have passes available for sale). However, there is a bar right next to the Vibe entry that is open to the public (and very rarely used). If you're just planning to use it for drinks during the day, you'll be fine there.

Or, of course, you can just ask the butler in the Haven pool to get you your drinks.

If you are in Haven, do you have access to Vibe? We will be sailing in Haven but there is no bar on outside deck in Breakaway Haven so I am interested in having access to Vibe to get drinks.

No. You have to buy a pass like everyone else. Physically, the havens sundeck and the vibe are separated by a 3” metal partition. But, there is no easy way to get between the two.

On the breakaway, the waiters are always available on the havens sundeck. Drinks. A spritz of water to cool you down. Whatever you want.

Hmm....thanks for the pics and review. I think, considering the cost, we will be just as happy using Spice H2O which, other than the cabanas, seems pretty similar. It's also adults only till 6 or 7PM. Glad you enjoyed your Vibe experience.

Why did you choose Cabana # 3?

I had read a review that stated that the music was very loud in the cabana near the hot tubs, so since I had never been in Vibe I was not sure if cabana 1 or 5 was closest to the hot tubs. I chose cabana 3 to play it safe. It turns out there are small speakers by each of the cabanas. Cabana one is next to the hot tubs, so I would think it would be noisier if people we chatting in the hot tubs.

Did it make it difficult to chat to others? The thing we loved about vibe was we made great new friends we made, wondering if this is isolated being in the cabana

We've done Vibe both with and without a cabana, and it was about the same experience with others since we would still mingle while using the hot tub or sitting by the bar. But it was also nice having a private retreat when we wanted it (or especially for an outdoor nap).

For me the privacy of the cabana made it possible for me to take a nap. I can never fall asleep on a lounger as I am a side sleeper, so cuddling up with a pillow and sleeping on my side with the sound of the ocean made for the best naps I have ever had in my life!