Falmouth-Why-oh Why-oh does RCL keep stoping here-IDEAS PLS!

Not a huge fan of Falmouth , but we like Jamaica have went to many resorts there over the years, reallly perfected when they used to dock at Ochoa Rios , but as already said rccl invested lots of money there, si we will walk around there and get a margerita at margeritaville

We did the Food Tour this past December as well and loved it. We did the one that was approximately 5 hours (went from Falmouth to St. Ann). Stopped to see sites, and had five tastings. We had a private car, a driver, and a tour guide. We never felt unsafe, and really felt like we had a better sense of the country rather than staying in the port area.

I'm not a fan of either Falmouth or Nassau. Been there many times. But since we've been to the Caribbean a lot, we tend to have favorites like everyone else. What I want to "like a port," is what I enjoy in port. Depending on the port, it might be nearby shopping, or a specific bar or restaurant, or a beautiful beach that's easy to get too. What do YOU like in a port?

I also am very blessed to be able to go on frequent cruises. I wouldn't mind if Falmouth or Nassau were dropped, but I enjoy them too. And often just use those stops to relax on a near empty ship. I don't avoid cruises that go there, but I don't book because they go there. And I wish they would develop Falmouth more near the port. It's an interesting town.

We love all the Caribbean Islands have visited many on cruises and land vacations they are all so unique with their own personalities. I think my two top things that make us like a port is a unique experience (we can't get in the UK) and beautiful beaches even if we have to travel from port to get to them. We don't like shopping or bars.

We did the Food Tour this past December as well and loved it. We did the one that was approximately 5 hours (went from Falmouth to St. Ann). Stopped to see sites, and had five tastings. We had a private car, a driver, and a tour guide. We never felt unsafe, and really felt like we had a better sense of the country rather than staying in the port area.

Since you did this tour, could you please expand on some of the details: Name of company/person, price, time in vehicle to St.Ann.

We are a family of 5 and, of course, I am sure that I will get touched up just like the original poster because we are not a huge fan of the Falmouth stop after several visits there. But we love the Oasis and with 1 child still in high school we have to pick our trips to based on when we can cruise.

We, too, used to enjoy docking in Ochi Rios.....seemed so much closer to things that we enjoyed doing. Once we took a boat ride to Dunn's River Falls right from the port. Just stepped off of our ship and onto a boat. Last time we were there with our sons it was a good 35 minute bus ride to the Falls each way.

Again, any additional information on your food tour experience would be greatly appreciated. Our sons will be 15, 18 and 21 on this trip. With 5 of us it can get very expensive, very easily.

Edited by baileybrad

Jamaica Culinary Tours. $135 per person - so, yes, on the pricey side, but worth it to me. They were great at communicating by email, and allayed my fears when our ship arrived earlier than expected. Time to St. Ann about an hour. We had stops along the way. Check out their FB page and also their website. What I appreciated was that they were willing to be flexible — we arrived the 27th and initially there was no tour planned, but they were fine with holding the tour for two people. They also have a shorter food tour of the Falmouth area that is substantially less.

Just got off the Oasis Sunday, and the RCCL shore excursion to Jewel Beach Resort at Runaway Bay was probably the best combination of everything I love about a great beach/resort day. I was shocked that I liked it so much. Since I was anxious about the vibe in Jamaica, I decided to ensure I had a great day by booking this tour. Full retail was $169, but we got 20% or 30% off by prebooking online (don’t remember).

Quick facts: It was about a 30-40 minute bus ride from Falmouth pier. Beach was bordered by rocky outcroppings so no one was hawking stuff on the beach making me feel uncomfortable. Sand was pristine, water clear and beautiful. As an all-inclusive resort, we had 4 restaurants to choose from for lunch, all the alcohol/non-alcohol drinks we wanted. There were nice lounge chairs, hammocks shaded by thatched roofs, clean rest rooms and changing spaces, a mini “water park” with slides and a lazy river and an infinity pool with a swim-up bar. The place was pristine, provided beach towels and everyone was incredibly friendly. (Being able to find some gluten-free food was also a bonus.)

I have NEVER considered going to a resort in Jamaica for a getaway, but I was surprisingly impressed.

I am equally reticent about Nassau, but years ago discovered Blue Lagoon Island and it the reason I look forward to cruises that stop in Nassau... it’s not a wasted day for me anymore. Good luck!