Falmouth-Why-oh Why-oh does RCL keep stoping here-IDEAS PLS!

Yes, you "can" blame RCCL but it won't do any good. Jamaica is not my favorite, but it's not going to fall off the itineraries. Royal dropped a TON of money to build up that port at Falmouth and they are certainly going to make use of it until they get the return on their investment. I found the port at Falmouth far preferable to the old port at Ocho Rios. That place was a dump.

Perhaps you can find an excursion you like and learn something new about the culture. I second the other suggestions about Negril. I hear Negril is beautiful. It was highly recommended to us. We ended up just walking around the port area and getting back on the ship, but we looked at all of the beautiful photos our tablemates had taken in Negril. As it turns out, they had family there so it was not a typical tourist perspective when they returned.

Anyhow, Falmouth is here to stay for awhile. Either make it a ship day or find an excursion you can stomach. Jamaica is NOT going away as a port any time soon.

I liked Ochoa Rios due to its proximity to the Falls. Our last port stop there was December 2014 on Legend

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Know that you are a thread fav, but I really HATE answers like this. We really enjoy the Oasis with all it`s toys, Labadee is an ok beach day and well, Coz is Coz!

Jamaica is getting more dangerous every day and very little to do.

-

And yes I can blame RCCL, when so many write and post to drop Jamaica!!! I am Customer

Well stop being a customer! If you really want RCCL to drop Falmouth stop enabling them with your business. Switch to a cruise line that has an itinerary that doesn't stop there. Complain all you want but until you and others (by that I mean many, many others) turn off the cash flow tap, RCCL will continue to stop at Falmouth.

Henry Ford offered his Model T in only black for many years. He didn't change until his customers switched to other car companies who offered what they wanted - other colours. When Coke introduced that new formulation in the 90's, they didn't switch back because drinkers complained on CokeCritic.com, they switched back because nobody bought the new crap.

If you want a business to change it's products kick them where it really hurts........ in their bank account!

I often read on these boards " we don't get off the ship at ports a, b, and x" including stops in Jamaica, especially Falmouth. Out of curiosity, I would like to try and understand what exactly do people want from a port that they are not getting out of Jamaica, Nassau ports etc that make them dislike the ports so much. What is it that people want to make them like a port.

Personally I love all ports. I am blessed to be able to cruise, vacation to the Caribbean.

I often read on these boards " we don't get off the ship at ports a, b, and x" including stops in Jamaica, especially Falmouth. Out of curiosity, I would like to try and understand what exactly do people want from a port that they are not getting out of Jamaica, Nassau ports etc that make them dislike the ports so much. What is it that people want to make them like a port.

Personally I love all ports. I am blessed to be able to cruise, vacation to the Caribbean.

Some say they don't feel as safe in Jamaica as they do in other ports.

My 2 cents about Royal helping the town of Falmouth. I saw personally Royal crew member taking bedding Mattress sun Chairs and supplies from the ship by the Truck load. When I asked what was up I was told Royal was making these deliveries to the Hospital The Church and the Schools.

I feel Royal is helping by give supplies not cash that could possible be taken by the government or unscrupulous folks.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My 2 cents about Royal helping the town of Falmouth. I saw personally Royal crew member taking bedding Mattress sun Chairs and supplies from the ship by the Truck load. When I asked what was up I was told Royal was making these deliveries to the Hospital The Church and the Schools.

I feel Royal is helping by give supplies not cash that could possible be taken by the government or unscrupulous folks.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any of that stuff new or are they just saving haul away fees in the states?

Out of curiosity, I would like to try and understand what exactly do people want from a port that they are not getting out of Jamaica, Nassau ports etc that make them dislike the ports so much. What is it that people want to make them like a port.

As someone mentioned above, part of it is not feeling safe. I’ve only been to Falmouth once, when it had been in operation for a short time, and the first thing that we noticed was the huge police presence all over town. I actually took pictures because it was so apparent. We then learned that many passengers had been victims of crime, to the point that Royal Caribbean officials had to meet with the local government to look for a solution to the elevated crime rate that cruise passengers had been exposed to. The increased police presence was in response to these meetings because Royal threatened with abandoning the port. Even with the increased presence, we didn’t feel it was safe enough to walk around town specially with our then 15 month old son. We were off the ship for less than 1 hour before we decided to get back on the ship. We should’ve booked an excursion and left the town, but now we know better if we ever decide to return.

About Nassau, there’s also a lot of crime there, along with travel warnings (which the cruise lines like to downplay), but I also believe that the dissatisfaction from many seasoned cruisers stems from the fact that it’s hard to find a short cruise from Florida or a longer 7 night itinerary to the Eastern Caribbean that doesn’t include this port of call. For people that cruise often, it’s frustrating, specially when they want to sail on one of the newest ships from Florida and when there are so many other truly fantastic ports of call that can be reached on a 7 night itinerary.

I get that Nassau is strategically located, and that its designed to handle several cruises and thousands of passengers, which makes it an ideal stop for most cruise lines. But I’m sure that I’m not the only person who would prefer to see something else on these itineraries.

Besides the Nassau overload, and the high crime rate, I also believe that a contributing factor with the dissatisfaction is the fact that, because of the enormous influx of daily tourists, Bahamians living in this island have become somewhat numb to their tourism industry. The warm and personal welcome that is often experienced at other ports of calls not overrun with cruise passengers is just not there in Nassau. When I visit this destination, I personally feel exactly like what I am: just another passenger out of thousands others passing through the gates at the port. The number of arriving passengers has to be overwhelming, and many times, I’m sure that it’s easy to forget to do something as simple as smiling. There’s barely enough time to be nice to one passenger before they need to move on to the many others right behind them.

With all of that said, I’ve had some great times in Nassau, both on cruise and land vacations as well as trips for work. But when I do go there, I adjust my expectations accordingly. It’s an overcrowded destination and I don’t expect any type of personal or warm treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CB, you're so right..Falmouth was built for cruise ships...Royal Caribbean had a lot to do with getting those buildings built to help out the island's economy. In fact a "few bucks" were spent by RCI to build them.

Most of the money came from Jamaica. RCI had very little outlay invested. RCI made a promise to deliver X number of PAX over a certain number of years, Jamaica put up the majority of money to build out the port area.

Jamaica is dangerous. Look at the site that does law related to cruise ships; google it: https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/caribbean/jamaica/crime-in-jamaica-what-to-watch-for

I’m guessing you did not make it to the last paragraph of this 2.5 year old article...e69b119d57a73e1a54909de6a41e4bbc.jpg

Out of curiosity, I would like to try and understand what exactly do people want from a port that they are not getting out of Jamaica, Nassau ports etc that make them dislike the ports so much.

Generally we find high pressure sales tactics to sell us Chinese made trinkets and Bob Marley t-shirts. Many of the excursions are based around thrill rides, not as many around cultural experiences. I don't go on cruises to go to a new location to ride an ATV or take a zip lines, or even sit at a beach (I live right by the beach in FL, so I do understand that for those not near beaches it's different). Jamaica has some cultural aspects still available to mainstream cruisers, but Nassau by and large is flat, grimy, and starts getting sketchy in a hurry when you get away from the town shopping area. Jamaica at least can be pretty. I have zero interest in Quiznos and Dairy Queen (I watched a family literally get off a ship and race each other for DQ; always thought that was a little odd).

Anyways, in short, "tourist traps".

Over half of any given sailing is first timers. Not everyone is a veteran like you

Yep.

Honestly I would say to find a different itinerary. Allure has Western Caribbean itineraries that don't stop in Jamaica. It's definitely worth checking those out.

I have similar feelings about Jamaica though as the original poster. I'm not crazy about it... but any day to get off the ship, I find at least something to do. A beach day, at minimum.

Here's a list from RCCL of things to do at the Port of Falmouth:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/shoreExcursions/subGateWayByPort/search.do?LocationCode=FMT

As someone mentioned above, part of it is not feeling safe. I’ve only been to Falmouth once, when it had been in operation for a short time, and the first thing that we noticed was the huge police presence all over town.

About Nassau, there’s also a lot of crime there, along with travel warnings (which the cruise lines like to downplay), but I also believe that the dissatisfaction from many seasoned cruisers stems from the fact that it’s hard to find a short cruise from Florida or a longer 7 night itinerary to the Eastern Caribbean that doesn’t include this port of call. For people that cruise often, it’s frustrating, specially when they want to sail on one of the newest ships from Florida and when there are so many other truly fantastic ports of call that can be reached on a 7 night itinerary.

I get that Nassau is strategically located, and that its designed to handle several cruises and thousands of passengers, which makes it an ideal stop for most cruise lines. But I’m sure that I’m not the only person who would prefer to see something else on these itineraries.

None has to walk into the town. You can stick to the touristy port area. The town is dirt poor and if you are not used to seeing third world poverty then you likely will feel uncomfortable. I usually walk thru the town but being well traveled I am used to seeing it. As there was a government presence I did not feel unsafe. I don’t advocate people walking in the town to see it without an idea of what to expect and some curiosity. An excursion or doing a day pass is what most cruise ship passengers should do at Falmouth and there are plenty of those options available.

As for Nassau, these days I go to Blue Lagoon.

As for doing something else on the itineraries there is finite number of ports that a round trip cruise out of Florida can call at. I suggest cruising out of other home ports. Other parts of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish rccl would go to a nicer island, like grand cayman instead of Jamaica.

RCCL ships do go to Grand Cayman. Cayman is a tender port so the Oasis class don’t go there. Too many passengers for tendering there to be practical from those ships.

Even when there are docks they have to be able to take Oasis class. Many ports can not. The dock at Falmouth was built for Oasis class ships to be able to use. One of the major reasons Royal Caribbean invested in the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

What is it that people want to make them like a port.

I'm not a fan of either Falmouth or Nassau. Been there many times. But since we've been to the Caribbean a lot, we tend to have favorites like everyone else. What I want to "like a port," is what I enjoy in port. Depending on the port, it might be nearby shopping, or a specific bar or restaurant, or a beautiful beach that's easy to get too. What do YOU like in a port?

I also am very blessed to be able to go on frequent cruises. I wouldn't mind if Falmouth or Nassau were dropped, but I enjoy them too. And often just use those stops to relax on a near empty ship. I don't avoid cruises that go there, but I don't book because they go there. And I wish they would develop Falmouth more near the port. It's an interesting town.

Not a fan of Jamaica myself. Had a not so pleasant interaction with a taxi driver once. Pure extortion. Anyway, on this trip we did a resort for a day to Hilton Rose Hall resort. Had a very good time there. Totally safe the whole way. Private bus from port to resort and back.

As for doing something else on the itineraries there is finite number of ports that a round trip cruise out of Florida can call at. I suggest cruising out of other home ports. Other parts of the world.

I agree. And that’s why I recommended to the OP to try other ships, cruise lines and itineraries. One of the best decisions about cruising that I made a few years ago was exactly that; to try as many cruise lines as possible and to never repeat the same one two times in a row. It’s been wonderful to see new places around the world, try new cruise lines and explore new ships, at least to us.

I do understand that some people do choose to cruise on a specific ship, or that they don’t want to fly, or that budget considerations limit them to specific ports of embarkation and itineraries. But for everyone else, there aren’t that many reasons to keep repeating the same itinerary or ship over and over and then complain about the lack of variety.

I also don’t feel safe in Jamaica as a gay man with a husband and a daughter and I know many fellow LGBT cruisers feel the same way.

Unfortunately there are many destinations that have a reputation for homophobia. You are singling out Jamaica yet a few posts ago you advocated Grand Cayman as an alternative. Grand Cayman also has a reputation for homophobia.

Done the Falls climb, tubing and Blue Hole. Is spending $100 bucks at Buffet`s palace our destiny? Our group is desperate for Something new.

Please RCCL, find a new deep water port!

-

And No -Don`t want no gangi-Mon!

I'm going to hijack the thread just slightly. Did you enjoy the Blue Hole? My last time in Fallmouth, I was just past a year after back surgery and didn't want to chance it. Now that I've fallen on the ski slopes a couple of times, I think I can handle it. Otherwise, I'll just get off the ship and get a couple of those $3 beef patties and maybe spend $24 on a Margartiaville shirt.