Air deviation-- anyone try this?

MisterBubba

I searched through the air deviation threads but couldn't find any relevant posts regarding the topic. Has anyone -- via the air deviation -- turned a long layover into a multi-day stopover (if the airline offered a free stopover)?

And, how did Regent handle the airport to pre cruise hotel transfers, assuming one arrived to the destination airport at the time one would have as if the stopover never happened.

TIA

I have a similar question (s).

1- Arriving Bali for Regent 3 night per-cruise land tour. Wondering if you guys think they will provide private transfer airport to the hotel .

2-Also on post-cruise to Angkor Wat. At the end in Bangkok, hotel to airport private transfer.

Yes we are NEW Titanium.

John

We have made our own flight arrangements for an upcoming cruise and booked a PH so have a pre-cruise hotel night included. In this case would Regent provide either private or group transfer from the airport to that hotel in addition to the hotel to ship transfer the next day? Option 2 may be that we use points and stay at a different hotel. In this case, which transfers would Regent provide? I might assume that they would only provide a private hotel-to-ship transfer but just not sure. We are on board the Navigator at the moment and the FCC did not have a definitive answer.

According to our TA, either you can get private transfers from the airport to the hotel or from the hotel to the ship - not both. If you decide to do the hotel to the ship, as long as the hotel isn't more than 50 miles from the ship, they will pick you up anywhere. The same goes for the ride back from the ship. We actually didn't go to the airport last month but had the driver take us to Regent Headquarters (sort of across the street from the airport). We had a friend drive us to the airport.

John, forgot to congratulate you on becoming Titanium! As you know, we are on your cruise in March and are also doing the 3 night pre-cruise in Bali. We'll both get private transfers to the hotel and most people will likely take the bus after the tour on the day of embarkation. We tend to be a bit different and will take a taxi from the hotel to the ship at noon. We've been to Bali a few times and don't need the morning excursion. We'll just have breakfast and hang out at the hotel until it is time to go to the ship.

Your second question is more difficult - one that maybe you should ask your TA. If you were going from the ship to the airport, there is no question that you would get a private transfer. However, since you will be completing a 3 night post cruise, I'm not sure how it will work. It makes me think of the statement on the Regent website about transportation being on the day of embarkation (except when you are at a hotel pre-cruise) and the day disembarkation.

Still learning this stuff. Most of what I've posted today I only learned this week. When does your flight arrive in Bali? You can respond on Roll call if you think that this is off topic.

Can someone please clarify how private transfers are different than group transfers.

We paid for the air deviation so we could choose our flights, will arrive in Barcelona the day before departure and stay in our concierge included hotel overnight. It was our understanding that we would have transfer from airport to hotel and then from hotel to the port. But this thread is making me question that. I have an inquiry in to our TA.

Can someone please clarify how private transfers are different than group transfers.

We paid for the air deviation so we could choose our flights, will arrive in Barcelona the day before departure and stay in our concierge included hotel overnight. It was our understanding that we would have transfer from airport to hotel and then from hotel to the port. But this thread is making me question that. I have an inquiry in to our TA.

"Private transfers" is a benefit for Titanium Seven Seas Society members and above (400+ nights on Regent). However, upon occasion, you might get a taxi transfer - just for yourselves because no one else is arriving near the time you are arriving. Generally there is a bus awaiting passengers at the airport to transport you to the hotel. Sometimes this requires waiting for a plans to arrive but it generally isn't a problem.

Once at the hotel, the Regent representative (who is actually a contractor and does not work for Regent) arranges multiple buses to leave the hotel at various times to deliver passengers to the ship. This is where we typically do our own transportation since we are not into busloads of people and lines. Note: Even Titanium Seven Seas Society members only get a private transfer from the airport to the hotel OR the hotel to the ship. However, we do get a limo or upscale SUV for the transport.

We did exactly that with our cruise out of Rome a couple of months ago: took the deviation, chose our flights using Regent air, and came in the day before embarkation for a hotel room included with our concierge cabin. The transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to port were provided by Regent--there was never even a question about it.

According to our TA, either you can get private transfers from the airport to the hotel or from the hotel to the ship - not both. If you decide to do the hotel to the ship, as long as the hotel isn't more than 50 miles from the ship, they will pick you up anywhere. The same goes for the ride back from the ship. We actually didn't go to the airport last month but had the driver take us to Regent Headquarters (sort of across the street from the airport). We had a friend drive us to the airport.

John, forgot to congratulate you on becoming Titanium! As you know, we are on your cruise in March and are also doing the 3 night pre-cruise in Bali. We'll both get private transfers to the hotel and most people will likely take the bus after the tour on the day of embarkation. We tend to be a bit different and will take a taxi from the hotel to the ship at noon. We've been to Bali a few times and don't need the morning excursion. We'll just have breakfast and hang out at the hotel until it is time to go to the ship.

Your second question is more difficult - one that maybe you should ask your TA. If you were going from the ship to the airport, there is no question that you would get a private transfer. However, since you will be completing a 3 night post cruise, I'm not sure how it will work. It makes me think of the statement on the Regent website about transportation being on the day of embarkation (except when you are at a hotel pre-cruise) and the day disembarkation.

Still learning this stuff. Most of what I've posted today I only learned this week. When does your flight arrive in Bali? You can respond on Roll call if you think that this is off topic.

Thanks, TC2. Wondering why my original post which you quoted here was deleted?

So...what airlines have you used for deviations? Are the flights convenient or have multiple stops, long layovers, etc.? On many international flights it is cheaper to use Regent, but not if it takes you twice as long to go/return. Need experienced advice please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So...what airlines have you used for deviations? Are the flights convenient or have multiple stops, long layovers, etc.? On many international flights it is cheaper to use Regent, but not if it takes you twice as long to go/return. Need experienced advice please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have deviated air for years. Just tonight my DH and I discussed what fight(s) that we are interested in for our November, 2018 cruise that Regent will book on February 15th. Our flight is one-way - from Vancouver to Barcelona. There are no direct flights. Our top choices are on Lufthansa and British Airways - both flights are on a 747-400 which we like (upstairs only). So, we will advise our TA of our first and second choices (first choice Lufthansa - second choice British Airways - due to times of arrival in Barcelona). We will likely get our first choice.

In March, we booked our own flights and took a $12,000 credit from Regent. We booked our flights on Cathay Pacific which is the exact carrier that Regent puts most of their customers on Asian itineraries. The difference is that we can book 270 days prior to the sailing rather than 75 days prior to the sailing when there are fewer (if any) seats left.

We try to avoid any airline based in the United States because if there is a stop within the U.S., the flight to that airport would be coach. We live in Washington state but choose to fly out of Vancouver because it is closer than Seatac and also there are more international carriers flying out of that airport. We also find the service on U.S. based airlines not quite up to the standards of international carriers.

Sometimes long layovers cannot be avoided. It helps to really check out all flights to and from your destination. Our flight to Bali in March has a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong. This doesn't bother us because after a 14 hour flight (on our favorite airline - amazing lie flat seats), we need a shower and change of clothes. The 3 hour layover will be welcome. Plus, the lounge(s) in Hong Kong are over the top (even better than Terminal 5 at Heathrow). Our flight back from Hong Kong is non-stop - could not be better than that.

Although we ended up canceling the flight, when we booked a flight to Cape Town, the layover at Heathrow was really long so we planned on booking a day room at a beautiful hotel that is in the airport. Alternatively, sometimes there are hotels right next to the airport with day rates.

The bottom line is that there are so many choices when you deviate. If you wait until 75 prior to the cruise, you may get great flights or horrible ones - it is dependent upon how many "contracted seats" are available that close to the sailing. "Contracted seats" is an important consideration. While an airline may have many seats still available, they may be sold out of "contrasted seats" so this is something to consider.

Hope that this helps!:D

Thanks for all your insights! What is your opinion of BA? We hear awful things about it's business class seat arrangements. And...you can't pick your seat unless you pay extra. Just asking, as they fly non-stop from Austin to LHR. (Think you might be arriving in Barcelona when we disembark in September?)

BTW: how is your wrist band temperature regulator working out? Are you allowed to give any info about it? According to my son-in-law, they will be available for sale later this year.

Grandmommy,

We decided not to take the risk of the seating configuration due to all the poor reviews and drawbacks of BA. Plus, when we booked to LHR the BA flights had been announced but not started so we were not really sure of the aircraft configuration. We booked through Regent with a deviation and are flying Austin to Houston first class (no extra charge) and then Houston to LHR in Business. Both flights on AA metal which is probably why we got first class AUS to Houston.

ISuspect we are on same cruise London to Barcelona in Sept on Explorer. What part of Austin are you? We are in North Austin near 360/2222. Be sure to sign up for the roll call and meet and mingle.

John

Grandmommy,

We decided not to take the risk of the seating configuration due to all the poor reviews and drawbacks of BA. Plus, when we booked to LHR the BA flights had been announced but not started so we were not really sure of the aircraft configuration. We booked through Regent with a deviation and are flying Austin to Houston first class (no extra charge) and then Houston to LHR in Business. Both flights on AA metal which is probably why we got first class AUS to Houston.

ISuspect we are on same cruise London to Barcelona in Sept on Explorer. What part of Austin are you? We are in North Austin near 360/2222. Be sure to sign up for the roll call and meet and mingle.

John

Are you sure you are on American Metal?? Live in Houston and American only flies to a few domestic locations. Bet you are on United or perhaps even BA as 2 non-stops daily. You are correct in the ability to fly the domestic portion in First Class while connecting in the US as long as you are on a single domestic carrier.

It on AA, your connection would be at DFW, a large AA hub.

Are you sure you are on American Metal?? Live in Houston and American only flies to a few domestic locations. Bet you are on United or perhaps even BA as 2 non-stops daily. You are correct in the ability to fly the domestic portion in First Class while connecting in the US as long as you are on a single domestic carrier.

It on AA, your connection would be at DFW, a large AA hub.

Oops, sorry. We are on American metal but not connecting in Houston - you are correct, it is Dallas. We almost always do fly United thru Houston so I guess I got mixed up a bit. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for all your insights! What is your opinion of BA? We hear awful things about it's business class seat arrangements. And...you can't pick your seat unless you pay extra. Just asking, as they fly non-stop from Austin to LHR. (Think you might be arriving in Barcelona when we disembark in September?)

BTW: how is your wrist band temperature regulator working out? Are you allowed to give any info about it? According to my son-in-law, they will be available for sale later this year.

First, you can pick your seats on BA when Regent books your flights (as long as you do not live in the U.K. or elsewhere outside of the U.S. and Canada). Regent assigns you a seat and gives you a booking number and you can go into the website and change the seats for the ones you prefer.

We happen to like the configuration of the British Airways planes. It is rather nice to face each other and I don't mind flying backwards. Service is "usually" pretty good. We will be deviating a flight to Barcelona next month and have to decide between Lufthansa and BA since we try to avoid American, United, KLM, Delta, etc. Both flights are on 747-400s which we like as it has an upstairs for Business Class. We love Lufthansa's food and service but find their seats extremely uncomfortable. BA, on the other hand, has comfortable seats but are in an unusual configuration. At the moment, our first choice (based on the time it arrives in Barcelona) is Lufthansa and BA is our second choice.

Thanks all. How are you getting back from Barcelona?

We disembark in Miami and don't want to use Regent air (or deviation) for coach flights. If Regent puts us in First Class, it costs a lot more than doing it on our own. So, we will book a First Class flight from Miami to Vancouver using points and will take the 50% air credit from Regent!

We have deviated air for years. Just tonight my DH and I discussed what fight(s) that we are interested in for our November, 2018 cruise that Regent will book on February 15th. Our flight is one-way - from Vancouver to Barcelona. There are no direct flights. Our top choices are on Lufthansa and British Airways - both flights are on a 747-400 which we like (upstairs only). So, we will advise our TA of our first and second choices (first choice Lufthansa - second choice British Airways - due to times of arrival in Barcelona). We will likely get our first choice.

In March, we booked our own flights and took a $12,000 credit from Regent. We booked our flights on Cathay Pacific which is the exact carrier that Regent puts most of their customers on Asian itineraries. The difference is that we can book 270 days prior to the sailing rather than 75 days prior to the sailing when there are fewer (if any) seats left.

We try to avoid any airline based in the United States because if there is a stop within the U.S., the flight to that airport would be coach. We live in Washington state but choose to fly out of Vancouver because it is closer than Seatac and also there are more international carriers flying out of that airport. We also find the service on U.S. based airlines not quite up to the standards of international carriers.

Sometimes long layovers cannot be avoided. It helps to really check out all flights to and from your destination. Our flight to Bali in March has a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong. This doesn't bother us because after a 14 hour flight (on our favorite airline - amazing lie flat seats), we need a shower and change of clothes. The 3 hour layover will be welcome. Plus, the lounge(s) in Hong Kong are over the top (even better than Terminal 5 at Heathrow). Our flight back from Hong Kong is non-stop - could not be better than that.

Although we ended up canceling the flight, when we booked a flight to Cape Town, the layover at Heathrow was really long so we planned on booking a day room at a beautiful hotel that is in the airport. Alternatively, sometimes there are hotels right next to the airport with day rates.

The bottom line is that there are so many choices when you deviate. If you wait until 75 prior to the cruise, you may get great flights or horrible ones - it is dependent upon how many "contracted seats" are available that close to the sailing. "Contracted seats" is an important consideration. While an airline may have many seats still available, they may be sold out of "contrasted seats" so this is something to consider.

Hope that this helps!:D

TC2,

I agree that the upstairs on a 747 is usually really nice ( the 747 is slowly being retired by most airlines). We flew BA from Heathrow to Capetown with you (we were not traveling with you but found you in the BA Heathrow lounge) and enjoyed the flight except that the way the seats were configured for us, somebody who seemed to go to the bathroom every hour banged into me each time she got out of her seat. I thought the configuration odd. And BA apparently flies different aircraft and possibly seating configurations out of many airports and the reviews on many are less than stellar. So you are very fortunate that you get the aircraft and seating configuration you want on the routes you are flying. For our route, we deviated and are using AA although we don't usually fly US carriers on international routes.

TC2,

I agree that the upstairs on a 747 is usually really nice ( the 747 is slowly being retired by most airlines). We flew BA from Heathrow to Capetown with you (we were not traveling with you but found you in the BA Heathrow lounge) and enjoyed the flight except that the way the seats were configured for us, somebody who seemed to go to the bathroom every hour banged into me each time she got out of her seat. I thought the configuration odd. And BA apparently flies different aircraft and possibly seating configurations out of many airports and the reviews on many are less than stellar. So you are very fortunate that you get the aircraft and seating configuration you want on the routes you are flying. For our route, we deviated and are using AA although we don't usually fly US carriers on international routes.

On most BA 747-400's I know one seat where I don't have to climb over anyone's legs and they don't have to climb over mine. Unfortunately, it isn't a good idea to post it on a pubic forum.