Cyclone Gita

Cyclone Gita has hit Tonga and is currently on track to pass close to Noumea . The eye is reported as being over 100 km wide.....some storm.

More worrying is the future track.....if it stay on its present course it is due to hit NZ next week.

https://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/cyclone-gita-latest-possible-tracking-new-zealand-next-week-6-maps

Cyclone Gita has hit Tonga and is currently on track to pass close to Noumea . The eye is reported as being over 100 km wide.....some storm.

More worrying is the future track.....if it stay on its present course it is due to hit NZ next week.

https://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/cyclone-gita-latest-possible-tracking-new-zealand-next-week-6-maps

My dad & brother are due to hit New Zealand next week on a cruise ship

We are leaving Auckland on Monday onboard Arcadia... might be a bumpy ride :cool:

You will probably get some 5 metre swells, looking at NZ marine forecast. Nothing too much to worry about. Arcadia was built for world cruising, a good Vista Class ship, been on her a couple of times in rough seas, like Great Australian Bight and Bay of Biscay, she rides ok.

Above all enjoy. Have a few kippers in the MDR for brekkie fix you up.:')

• We are leaving Auckland on Monday onboard Arcadia... might be a bumpy ride :cool:

We are also leaving on Arcadia from Auckland in Monday. Fingers crossed for not being too affected by Gita!:eek:

Edited by Valmac
Already posted want removed!

We sail from Sydney on Sunday towards the cyclone... hopefully Ovation of the Seas will handle well!

She does handle it well. We sailed across Bass Strait Jan 2017 on her! Wouldn't have wanted to be on anything smaller!;)

They are on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth.

The weather has not been the best the entire cruise.

She would do reasonably well in a big sea, not an Atlantic Liner like QM2, but basically a Vista Class like QV, Arcadia etc.:cool:

Cyclone Gita will be in mid Tasman at midnight Mon.19th on a line from North Cape NZ to NSW/Qld. border, moving quite fast to south. Arcadia is in Bay of Islands 19th.

By midnight Tue. 20th Gita will have dissipated over North Island.

Will not affect QE that is not due in Auckland until 23rd from east.

Arcadia will miss the cyclone by probably deviating a bit to the north of it - even so it will be a rough ride to Sydney.

By the way - rocking & rolling is a DANCE - not the motion of a ship.

Better sea ships than Vista class are the ex HAL - P. Eden & Aria.

Good weather info on windy.com

Cyclone Gita will be in mid Tasman at midnight Mon.19th on a line from North Cape NZ to NSW/Qld. border, moving quite fast to south. Arcadia is in Bay of Islands 19th.

Arcadia will miss the cyclone by probably deviating a bit to the north of it - even so it will be a rough ride to Sydney.

So what's your thoughts on us leaving Sydney on 18th Feb sailing up to Vanuatu/Noumea on Ovation of the Seas? Just big seas? I'm thinking there will be a day or so of rough weather but hopefully will settle after that (looking at the forecast wind etc for that time).

Thank you! Can’t have the posh people whom cruise Cunard spilling their gin & tonics

Yes, they love those G&T's on Cunard and P&O UK, plenty were drinking those. I got stares sitting there in my $99 Lowes suit with my pint of Strongbow cider.:o

They probably thought I was some sort of Bogan or Chav.

Yes, they love those G&T's on Cunard and P&O UK, plenty were drinking those. I got stares sitting there in my $99 Lowes suit with my pint of Strongbow cider.:o

They probably thought I was some sort of Bogan or Chav.

A suit is still a suit even if it’s from Lowes.

A couple more G&Ts and life is good.

Scottygirl1 - Departing Sydney with a swell running can cause the cruise ships to roll before they get some speed for the stablisers to do there work. The wind will be a strong SE Trade & will swing south as you pass the storm. By midnight the storm will be on a line Noumea to Sydney & they will no doubt go further to north & west to get round it passing west or near Lord Howe Island. The Ovation should handle the weather with no trouble & swell will be less in your area towards Noumea.

Scottygirl1 - Departing Sydney with a swell running can cause the cruise ships to roll before they get some speed for the stablisers to do there work. The wind will be a strong SE Trade & will swing south as you pass the storm. By midnight the storm will be on a line Noumea to Sydney & they will no doubt go further to north & west to get round it passing west or near Lord Howe Island. The Ovation should handle the weather with no trouble & swell will be less in your area towards Noumea.

Thanks - as long as I don't spill my cocktail I should be fine! Hopefully they will go further north and west.

We are boarding Arcadia in Auckland on 19th. She sails at 10pm. On the 20th Arcadia is due in Bay of Islands so Gita hopefully will be further away!

Thank you for your info. I always say a bit motion makes you feel like you are actually on a ship, hopefully that's all it is!! Looking forward to it!