What to do in Heraklion, Crete for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

The answer really depends on your own preferences. If you have any interest in ruins, a trip to Knossos is well worth while. This can be done on an excursion or on your own. And just staying in Heraklion has its own rewards...as there is an excellent archaeological museum (that contains many artifacts from Knossos). We once rented a car and went hiking up in the hills...and even found a weird cave. But not sure this is everyone's way to spend a day :).

Hank

Knossos is at the back of Heraklion, so easy to get to. Personally, I would hire a car and go to the interior of the island. It is pretty with lots of small villages. You can also visit the vineyards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Did this port on our own. Caught a cab to Knossos and then took the bus back to town for the museum which was probably the better site to visit. Very easy if this is what you want to see. Could have gone either bus or cab both ways but this worked with a minimum of walking and preparation.

We didn't know what to do when we visited so we signed up for a ship tour to Spinalonga. It's a small island that used to be a fortress made into a national park.

It was about a 1 hour bus ride, where the guide told us all about Greek culture and Crete history. Park was interesting and scenery was beautiful. We got to do some shopping and get something to eat before getting back on bus.

You could make trip yourself by renting a car (which we normally do), but it was nice to have someone else drive and navigate and to learn about the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

The Palace of Knossos is very cool, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Dictean Cave towards the inland of the island. Both are amazing ways to spend your day docked in Heraklion. And of course, you will always have the beach as an option! Crete is a stunning island and I know that you will enjoy it.

• 10 months later...
We are docking in Chania and were thinking of renting a car to go to Phaestos Palace, Palace of Knossos and Irakleio Museum. Is this a good plan?

It depends how long you have in port. It's quite a long way from Heraklion to Chania.

We are docking in Chania and were thinking of renting a car to go to Phaestos Palace, Palace of Knossos and Irakleio Museum. Is this a good plan?

That would be quite a long day. How long is your ship in port?

A few years ago I arranged a private driver to go to Phaestos (incredible site, much less "commercialized" than Knossos) and Gortyna, a Roman site not too far from Phaestos. I don't think we could have also fit in Knossos and the Iraklion museum....

You don't have time to go to Phaistos. It is a 3 hour+ drive from Chania.

The obvious thing to do in Chania is to visit the city, one of Greece's most beautiful, with its stunning Venetian harbour. You can walk around the harbour wall to the lighthouse, you could visit 1 of the museums - eg Naval museum is very good, you can stroll along the harbour front , wander the lovely tiny alleyways behind the harbour area, which are full of renovated Venetian houses, little shops etc.

Or you could go to Aptera, an interesting site just 15 mins away from Souda (where you ship most probably docks). Aptera has pre/Roman/Post Roman remains of huge water cisterns & bath complex, an atmospheric amphitheatre recently reonovated, set in an olive grove, parts of Roman villas scattered around, a Turkish fort with magnificent views. You could also eat a tasty traditional Cretan meal at Ta Aptera taverna in the village. You would want to book a taxi to take you & bring you back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the information about Knossos vs. Phaestos. How hard is it to rent a car from Heraklion port?

We had a 10 day holiday in Crete a couple of years ago. We hired a car from a company called 'The Best'. They were waiting at the airport when we arrived.

I booked online, sure they can deliver to port. I think they are Austrian run.