Radiance Class Deck Seven Balconies

I'd cruised on and loved Radiance Class ships before, and I'd heard about the "obstructed" view from the deck seven balconies. But I didn't really appreciate what it meant until we stayed in one. This photograph shows how the canopy over the life boats prevents you from looking down into water next to the ship. If you book a deck seven balcony on a Radiance class ship you look over (or across) that canopy. It's not the end of the world, but it does take a little bit away from the balcony experience. The next time I sail on a Radiance ship, I'll stick to decks eight and up.

1488850_10152058820217979_52308292_n.jpg

Thank you for posting, my family and I have booked 4 balcony cabins on deck 7 forward, I've seen pictures and I think those are ok. No obstruction I believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on deck 7 starboard-forward on Radiance (7546) for Alaska and did not have the lifeboat overhang to deal with. Direct line of sight down and out to sea.

Thank you for posting, my family and I have booked 4 balcony cabins on deck 7 forward, I've seen pictures and I think those are ok. No obstruction I believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking at a picture of the ship, I think it depends on how far forward. There is a section forward of the hump that has the life boats. But closer to the front there is not.

Edited by SamFritz

Those lifeboat covers are below EVERY balcony deck! Your eyes automatically go outward, to the view. Yes...on deck 7, they're closer, but still...no one can look directly down to the water on a Radiance class ship...poor design!

Those lifeboat covers are below EVERY balcony deck! Your eyes automatically go outward, to the view. Yes...on deck 7, they're closer, but still...no one can look directly down to the water on a Radiance class ship...poor design!

Respectfully disagree. On the Radiance, in the room I mentioned. You can see directly down.

Brigbound is correct. In the picture below you will see that on deck eleven, the there is a point where the pool deck protrudes. At that same point the balconies on all of the decks below recede. It's right around the second lifeboat. Rooms forward of that point do not deal with the obstruction of the lifeboats.

CB at Sea is also correct, though the higher you go, the closer to the ship you will be able to see. I'm an English teacher, but I think the Pythagorean Theorem has something to do with that.:o1655973_10152058810157979_2089094918_n.jpg

The hump balconies, including desk 7, also have a clear view down to the sea without life boats in the way.

Yay! Just booked a hump on deck 8 of Radiance. I thought they should look straight down but it's nice to hear it confirmed!

ahhh I'm in 7542 next week on the Brilliance am I not going to be able to look down??

*slow breath in through the nose and out through the mouth* :)

Repeat after me:

I'm onna cruise...... I'm onna cruise.... I'm onna cruise...

Everything will be fine as your eyes adjust and you can always always walk the decks with drink in hand as 'we, the landlubbers' sulk in envy... :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Brig

ahhh I'm in 7542 next week on the Brilliance am I not going to be able to look down??

It is nothing that will ruin your cruise. If you were planning on fishing from your balcony, you'd have a tough time. After the cruise come back here and add your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I was in 7550 on Serenade and while the covers are there, the view out is still sublime. I found myself looking out more than down and even still there was a little "break" in the cover where I could see down to the ocean. My only gripe is that there was a stem from a bunch of grapes and an orange peel that somebody from a higher deck had tossed down and that didn't get powerwashed off the cover. By the end of the week that orange peel was starting to look just a tad grotty.

Brigbound is correct. In the picture below you will see that on deck eleven, the there is a point where the pool deck protrudes. At that same point the balconies on all of the decks below recede. It's right around the second lifeboat. Rooms forward of that point do not deal with the obstruction of the lifeboats.

CB at Sea is also correct, though the higher you go, the closer to the ship you will be able to see. I'm an English teacher, but I think the Pythagorean Theorem has something to do with that.:o1655973_10152058810157979_2089094918_n.jpg

Forward of the forward stairs is Ok. No obstructions. And balconies are larger in that area.:D

This is the kind of view we got from room 7062 on Radiance. Yes, the cover is there and you can't see directly down. It didn't really have that much of an impact on our cruise at all. With a fairly young family it actually gave me a bit of a sense of security.

ImageUploadedByForums1393660848.324892.jpg.eabdca054233eeda8d59749dbb610583.jpg

The worst part about being directly above the life boats was the noise of the tenders! At 6:30 in the morning (with kids in the room), the noise was a bit of a pain. Those winches are LOUD!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Forward of the forward stairs is Ok. No obstructions. And balconies are larger in that area.:D

Well I noticed on the deck plans the balconies "look" much larger on deck 7 forward of the forward stairs.

I suppose only time will tell if I'm going to be able to fish of the balcony or not. But that was my only reason to book a balcony...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was just looking at deck plans last night. :)

RCI is bringing Jewel to the west coast in 2015, and I am so excited.

We had a mid hump balcony on Radiance, which was nice to see down, but it was noisy from the atrium and the internet café, which was right outside the cabin.

We will be booking jewel when she comes here, so I'm looking at the different decks. Thanks for the thread. :)

Pat

I was in 7550 on Serenade and while the covers are there, the view out is still sublime. I found myself looking out more than down and even still there was a little "break" in the cover where I could see down to the ocean. My only gripe is that there was a stem from a bunch of grapes and an orange peel that somebody from a higher deck had tossed down and that didn't get powerwashed off the cover. By the end of the week that orange peel was starting to look just a tad grotty.

We're booked in room 7550 on the Jewel for Memorial Day week! Do you have any pictures of your balcony, garnetpalmetto? It's shaped a bit differently than the others on deck 7 based on the deck plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

I'm still researching "hump" balconies so if you aren't aware of them yet here are some links. I'm waiting responses but it looks like you might be in luck.

We will be on Brilliance on Christmas and be 2 decks and 10 cabins more foreward than you. We can let each other know that would be great.

Have fun reading:

*I assume that you will be on the Liberty. We were just in Cabin #9640 which is a D1 Balcony Hump cabin. There are no D2's on the hump. Cabin #9608 is a D2 just down the hall from the hump. Both are very centrally located.

Our balcony gave us a great view fore and aft without obstruction. This is the first time being mid-ship and close to the elevators. We loved it, and would book that cabin and location without hesitation.

With pictures:

If it is a larger balcony you want and can give up ~15 square feet of inside space, look into 7408 and 7708... They are category E1 and the balconies are huge. Enjoy your cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41876412&posted=1#post41876412

Radiance Class hump balconies

Only the cabins at the very front end and back end of the hump on some ships(Radiance class for sure)

Adventure

8620 center hump

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41637424&mode=linear#post41637424

wouldn't be 8042/8044 and 8542 & 8544 the ones I'm coveting for Christmas?

Guess I was too late. Booked it February 20, 2014.

Anyone have experience with 9512/9514??? Taking our kids for their second cruise and our first Christmas.