Names on document not matching

dcgrumpy

I have a question. I'll try to make this as short as possible.

My 20 something year old sister-in-law is coming on a cruise with us in November. Months ago she said she was renewing her passport. I've reminded her so many times. Two weeks ago I asked if she renewed it. It turns out she lost it so she was going to apply for a new one that week. She asked my father-in-law for her her birth certificate. She only moved out of his house recently. He claims he doesn't have it and gave it to her. She says she's never seen it.

She applied online for 2 copies of her BC through NYC Dept of Health. A week later she saw a credit on her cc statement from NYCDOH. After going back and forth they told her the name she put on the application is wrong. She has to go down in person to get it which she can't do until this Thursday (7 weeks before we leave) She was adopted by my in-laws as a toddler. She had always been told that her first name on her BC was Maryann (one word). She actually goes by another name. Her SS card, license and old passport all say Maryann. It turns out that her BC says First Name-Mary, Middle Name-Ann.

She's going to try to get a new passport. If she doesn't get it in time will this be a problem? She's contacting RCI and also going to try and change the name on her DL so they match. Does anyone have personal experience with this? Hopefully she'll get her passport in time and it will be a non-issue.

If she can't board, it will be a very expensive lesson. :rolleyes::rolleyes: She's paying $2K for an inside cabin as a solo.

Flying from NY. She doesn't need a passport. But her BC and DL don't match exactly.

It's really weird, my FIL insists her BC said Maryann as one word. I don't know if he's wrong or if it's possible it got changed when they issued the amended BC after the adoption.

Flying from NY. She doesn't need a passport. But her BC and DL don't match exactly.

It's really weird, my FIL insists her BC said Maryann as one word. I don't know if he's wrong or if it's possible it got changed when they issued the amended BC after the adoption.

I think she'll be fine as long as the DL matches the reservation.

She should be fine using DL for Identification.

If she receives her passport in time I wouldn't use it as identification unless she were to need it for an emergency flight home from a foreign port.

Seems weird that her old passport didn't match the BC.

There is a chance that no one would even notice in this situation.

And there is chance that she will standing on the pier watching the ship sail away.

7 weeks is plenty of time, but you REALLY want all your documents to agree to the name, or to have some official document as to why they do not.

I feel for you as we are having a birth certificate and passport issue with my brother. Your SIL should have had her birth certificate to get her first passport and also her drivers' license so those all should have matched. Here in PA you can order your before adoption original birth certificate and your after adoption birth certificate so I could see her mixing those up and one saying Maryann and the other Mary Ann. Good luck to her.

She should be fine using DL for Identification.

If she receives her passport in time I wouldn't use it as identification unless she were to need it for an emergency flight home from a foreign port.

Seems weird that her old passport didn't match the BC.

That's what we both said. It makes no sense. I don't know how she got a passport and license with a different name than her birth certificate.

That's what we both said. It makes no sense. I don't know how she got a passport and license with a different name than her birth certificate.

I was just reading a thread in the First Time Cruiser forum where the poster said his spouse filled out his passport application and put down a middle name even though he doesn't have one and the passport office issued it to him even though there was no middle name on his birth certificate.

When we applied for passports I inadvertently omitted the 'e' from the end of DW's middle name and that's how it was issued even though her naturalization certificate has it on there. They issued a corrected passport at no cost.

If someone want's to combine their first and middle name and use it I don't think the passport office cares.

She should be fine.

My official first name has as a capital letter and then an apostrophe, then another capital letter with the rest are lower case characters. Something like this (not her real name just an approximation)...

S'Usane

Reservations systems choke on this type of construct including Royal Caribbean. So I just tell the reservations to use Susane, or I enter it myself if I am doing a self booking. Never had a problem checking in our returning to the country.

Same applies when we fly in the states, her driver's license has the correct spelling, but airline reservation systems also choke on the official spelling.

We're going into Manhattan bright and early tomorrow morning to get her birth certificate. Hopefully in 2 weeks she'll have a new license and passport. :rolleyes: She complains that we're always bugging her about things and act like she's still a child. Hmm I wonder why? When she booked the cruise she accidentally booked the wrong cruise even though she was texting me at the time making sure it was the right week. Luckily she posted a screenshot of her reservation on Instagram and my 13yo saw it and realized she booked the wrong week. :rolleyes: