Post cruise trip in Spain from Barcelona

rdt10

One of our most memorable driving trips was in Spain...when we spent several weeks driving around the country (with a focus on the Southern half) spending most nights in the quasi-government owned Paradors. There is certainly enough in Madrid to keep one busy for many days (or weeks), but most of our most memorable days were in smaller cities and rural areas of the country. If you can extend your trip..you might want to rent a car and explore one or two regions outside of the major cities.

Hank

The north of Spain is far less touristy than most other parts. Look at the regions like La Rioja, Bilbao, San Sebastián, Santander, Asturias, Galicia.

The Basque Country as far more Michelin restaurants than anywhere else in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the suggestions. This will be at the end of a 20 day B2B disembarking on June 19, 2019. Would spend another 5 days or so in Spain. Is renting a car and driving easy in Spain? Not driven in Europe before.

Just a note on driving in Spain

They drive on right hand side but there is a quirk particularly in country areas

If you come to a road crossing where you want to turn left don't stop in main road and wait for oncoming traffic to clear-you risk being crashed into from behind

you are expected to turn into a traffic refuge area on right hand side of road and when completely clear both directions cross directly across road

We spent a port day in October in Seville and really liked it so a few days there would be a possibility.

I’ve been told by a few people that one day just isn’t enough. I’m very happy we’ll be able to add a few days. That will also give us time to explore Córdoba.

@rdt10.... you know there isn't a void between major cities, right? :)

... just have a peek: http://act.gencat.cat/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/CATALUNYA_EXPERIENCE_EN_DE_RU.pdf and then reflect whether it's worthwhile embarking on another long trip elsewhere after your cruise or whether you can better optimize your time staying in Catalonia.

Just sayin'.

Two trips on my bucket list for Spain are

1. Staying in Bilbao area with a rented car (I drive a manual - not sure how common automatics are)

2. Madrid, Salamanca and possibly Plasencia. The first two are certainly accessible by public transport.

An alternative which I have done and love would be to explore the jewels of Andalucia - Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla. These could be done by train from Barcelona and they are very walkable cities. (I am off to Sevilla for the weekend and really excited). With a car you could explore more, but to be honest you don't really have time to do side trips to say Ronda or Sierra Nevada.

I would read try and find some trip reports just to work out what area of Spain you want to explore.

Two trips on my bucket list for Spain are

1. Staying in Bilbao area with a rented car (I drive a manual - not sure how common automatics are)

2. Madrid, Salamanca and possibly Plasencia. The first two are certainly accessible by public transport.

An alternative which I have done and love would be to explore the jewels of Andalucia - Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla. These could be done by train from Barcelona and they are very walkable cities. (I am off to Sevilla for the weekend and really excited). With a car you could explore more, but to be honest you don't really have time to do side trips to say Ronda or Sierra Nevada.

I would read try and find some trip reports just to work out what area of Spain you want to explore.

Madrid may be the easiest, but if we wanted to go to Granada, Córdoba or Seville, I assume by train, would we need to go through Madrid or is there a more direct route?

Madrid may be the easiest, but if we wanted to go to Granada, Córdoba or Seville, I assume by train, would we need to go through Madrid or is there a more direct route?

Hi Rick and Joyce

We always travel to Barcelona by train. On one of the journeys we had to change in Madrid, usually I can find a convenient direct train (saves about an hour on my journey to Malaga) and I think that we always stop in Cordoba. You have to check when you are booking the trains. You can book on the Renfe site. You can change the language to English if you do not read 'Spanish.