What do you love/not love about the Gem?

klo0315

On the Gem--loved the spa, the Great Outdoors, the Spinnaker Lounge and the Stardust theatre. The shows were great. We really enjoyed the food whether it was in the main dining room (preferred Grand Pacific over Magenta) a specialty restaurant (La Cucina, Moderno) and even the buffet !

Felt that Teppanyaki was better on other NCL ships..in particular the Breakaway..On the Gem it was a small room and the chefs started the meals at the tables at different times so they werent in snyc...kinda just sounded noisy and a little distracting (but the food was great and we still had fun meeting some really nice people)

Really liked the size and vibe of this Jewel class ship...never seemed crowded at all except at peak breakfast time in buffet... Service overall was excellent

While we enjoyed the entertainment, we did miss Howl at the Moon (Breakaway)

We didnt have children with us so I am not sure about children's activities.

Gosh! Are we the only ones who hated our bathroom on the Gem?

We loved the ports and the ship itself, but our balcony cabin toilet area was literally unusable. The sink and shower were accessible, but the toilet stall was VERY small. If you sat on the toilet, your legs had to be smashed against the wall in front of you which was at an angle, and you literally could not bend over to pull your pants up. My brother could stand to urinate, but any time I needed the bathroom during the entire cruise, I had to rush to a public bathroom. I was so afraid of having to use it during the night, that I didn't drink any liquids after 6:00 p.m. My brother also used public restrooms whenever possible. For some bathroom emergencies, I did use it, but my knees and shins got bruised by doing so. We are not unusually tall (5'10" and 6'1"), and my legs aren't super long; but we have never had an issue like that with a bathroom on any ship we have ever been on. I've seen small bathrooms on cruise ships, but I never had one that I literally could not fit into!

It looks like the inside and ocean view cabins don't have the same layout, so if we ever sailed her again., we would book any category but a balcony.

Gosh! Are we the only ones who hated our bathroom on the Gem?

We loved the ports and the ship itself, but our balcony cabin toilet area was literally unusable. The sink and shower were accessible, but the toilet stall was VERY small. If you sat on the toilet, your legs had to be smashed against the wall in front of you which was at an angle, and you literally could not bend over to pull your pants up. My brother could stand to urinate, but any time I needed the bathroom during the entire cruise, I had to rush to a public bathroom. I was so afraid of having to use it during the night, that I didn't drink any liquids after 6:00 p.m. My brother also used public restrooms whenever possible. For some bathroom emergencies, I did use it, but my knees and shins got bruised by doing so. We are not unusually tall (5'10" and 6'1"), and my legs aren't super long; but we have never had an issue like that with a bathroom on any ship we have ever been on. I've seen small bathrooms on cruise ships, but I never had one that I literally could not fit into!

It looks like the inside and ocean view cabins don't have the same layout, so if we ever sailed her again., we would book any category but a balcony.

I agree! Poorly designed. I had a balcony cabin on the Gem a few weeks ago. I've cruised over 25 times and I can't recall a ship with a toilet area that was so uncomfortable. If they would at least get rid of that wall/sliding door between the toilet and sink, I might be able to get out without banging my elbows while shimmering out so I could pull up my pants. That wall/sliding door is so unnecessary and they should remove it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The Gem has the last forward observation lounge (The Spinnaker) on any NCL ship until the new Bliss comes out...it is by far my favorite place on the ship. Much nicer playing trivia there than in the noisy and crowded Atrium on the Breakaway.

I also think the pool deck is much better layout than on the Breakway. Also like the full promenade deck, that the Breakaway lacks. Also like The Great Outdoors.

Oh, and last but not least....the Bridge Viewing Room, where you can peak into the bridge during daylight hours. At night, they lower shades blocking your view (to protect the night vision of the watch crew), but you can still see the nav screens that duplicate the ones on the bridge. It is also the home of the 'maiden call plaques', as well as the "It Girl" mermaid..:)

Same as a previous poster, the Gem was my first cruise ever. I went from being an unwilling cruiser to hooked in the space of two hours sailing out of NYC. The Great Outdoors is great and if you get there early enough you can get yourself a table for breakfast and watch the world go by. The Quiet Zone at the front was pointed out to us by our daughter, on our second trip on the Gem, brilliant place to relax. Only thing I can think of that I didn't like was the layout of the shopping area. If the Gem has had a refurb like the Jade then that will no longer be a problem. My favourite NCL ship.

Obviously I am in the majority: the best part: the Great Outdoors. We also love the pool area when we are in port and choose not to get off the ship. Though we haven't been on the Gem we have been on several Jewel class ships and they are our favorite. The downers are: small balconies, and the pools get very crowded. The size of the ships fits our needs perfectly and the entertainment is always good. I am surprised at the comments about the bathrooms, we love them. I don't quite understand the problem with the toilet doors, but everyone seems things in a different light.

Obviously I am in the majority: the best part: the Great Outdoors. We also love the pool area when we are in port and choose not to get off the ship. Though we haven't been on the Gem we have been on several Jewel class ships and they are our favorite. The downers are: small balconies, and the pools get very crowded. The size of the ships fits our needs perfectly and the entertainment is always good. I am surprised at the comments about the bathrooms, we love them. I don't quite understand the problem with the toilet doors, but everyone seems things in a different light.

The balconies are huge compared to the away class ships. The bathrooms are a little awkward, I usually left the sliding door open. One of my sons is 6’2” and didn’t seem to have an issue.

I love the Gem - glad Blue Lagoon is gone, the only "blah" food I had on the boat was the midnight snack there. Instead of breakfast I found several coffee stations that had pastries - more than enough for me. Great Outdoors is wonderful, has "off hours" buffet set up, I eat at weird times from the rest of the world! If you watch the Amazon show "Transparent" one episode takes place on the Jewel, which looked just like the Gem to me!

The balconies are huge compared to the away class ships. The bathrooms are a little awkward, I usually left the sliding door open. One of my sons is 6’2” and didn’t seem to have an issue.

that I will agree with: the Away class balconies are ridiculous. I guess I judge the balconies based on ships parked close to us in port. Seems like most other lines have large enough balconies for a lounge on them. Of course it really isn't the end of the world, we still have room to read and have a drink. That is all we need.