Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:39 PM.
2,072 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by spinnaker2
After hours of pouring over hotel websites, I finally ended up with an airbnb place.
Glad you found a nice spot, Spins.

Like JP below, we only stay at the Grande. The service has always been spot on, the location perfect for walking everywhere, and being the oddballs that we are, enjoy seeing the local demonstrations. In fact, during our last visit we were able to watch the roughly 5,000 demonstrators scream "Traitors, Traitors" while lawmakers were in session in parliament discussing a no-confidence motion against the government over the controversial name deal with neighboring Macedonia.

Originally posted by jpalbny
Spins, good news about the trimmed layover. I guess I fit into Jeff's American stereotype because I was going to recommend the Grande Bretagne. Have stayed there a few times and always enjoy it. Only problem is that it's right on Syntagma Square, and across from Parliament. So if there is a demonstration, it's right there in your face.
UK
8,473 Posts
Joined May 2012
Good Morning all ...

Thanks M .... yes the Ireland issue remains on paper a complicated one but in the end there will be a pragmatic solution.

Spins - I admire your sense of adventure. Not sure of the length of your stay, and therefore the cooking potential - but Athens has a lot of decent eating places particularly if you like flatbread and grilled meats and salads and olive oil - a combination that always does me! Hope you have a lot of fun in Athens.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

usa
3,484 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Thanks for good wishes.
This trip is for me to learn about my family.
I was adopted at birth.
I now know so much more about the genetic family.

Frankly, those people who brought me up and showered me with love, affection and guidance will always be my true parents. I love them eternally for so many reasons. One is that they were told I would be mentally handicapped based on my heritage. That didn't dissuade them, they still loved me and wanted me.

Now I need to know my relatives and where I came from, other than just being told I was adopted. I have uncovered such incredible information, and I want to share this and the struggles to assimilate into another country.

The stay in Athens precedes the trip to Samos, where I have connected with blood relatives. I will be in Athens four days before I venture to the island where my grandmother was born.

Yes, this is an adventure. I can't explain the emotions.
I will document it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Canada
3,816 Posts
Joined May 2008
Spins...your story of this trip gave me goosebumps! Hope it brings you joy, laughter and oodles of love!
Albany, NY
5,407 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
What a journey! I hope it brings you everything you wish for and then some.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Future bookings - come join us!
Silver Wind - #2828, Copenhagen to Tower Bridge - Sept 2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1918, Reykjavik to Reykjavik - August 2019
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1001, Ushuaia RT with South Georgia - January 2020

Past: All trip pictures are now in my SmugMug galleries, HERE
Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09
UK
8,473 Posts
Joined May 2012
Today's temptation from Nigeria ....

Best regards!

This mail may be a surprise to you because you did not give me the permission to do so and neither do you know me but before I tell you about myself I want you to please forgive me for sending this mail without your permission. I am writing this letter in confidence believing that if it is the will of God for you to help me and my family, God almighty will bless and reward you abundantly. I need an honest and trust worthy person like you to entrust this huge transfer project unto.

My name is Mr. Alex Kwaku, The Branch Manager of a Financial Institution. I got your contact through a reliable source called database through Ghana chamber of commerce. I am a Ghanaian married with 3 kids. I am writing to solicit your assistance in the transfer of US$10,500,000.00. This fund is the excess of what my branch in which I am the manager made as profit last year (i.e. 2017 financial year). I have already submitted an annual report for that year to my head office in Accra-Ghana as I have watched with keen interest as they will never know of this excess. I have since, placed this amount of US$10,500,000.00 Dollars on an Escrow Coded account without a beneficiary (Anonymous) to avoid trace.

As an officer of the bank, I cannot be directly connected to this money thus I am impelled to request for your assistance to receive this money into your bank account on my behalf. I agree that 40% of this money will be for you as a foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account, and 60% would be for me. I do need to stress that there are practically no risk involved in this. It's going to be a bank-to-bank online transfer. All I need from you is to stand as the original depositor of this fund so that the fund can be transferred to your account.

If you accept this offer, I will appreciate your timely response to me. This is why and only reason why I contacted you, I am willing to go into partnership investment with you owing to your wealth of experience, So please if you are interested to assist on this venture kindly contact me back for a brief discussion on how to proceed.

Please my dear friend reply me on my private email address: [email protected] for more details.

Best regards,
Mr. Alex Kwaku
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

Canada
3,816 Posts
Joined May 2008
Greetings Coolers!

J...the riches just keep coming!

Today's funny....yesterday was International Cat Day...for the cat lovers....

and equal time for dog lovers.....

Have a great day all!
Jacksonville, FL USA
49,941 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by spinnaker2
Thanks for good wishes.
This trip is for me to learn about my family.
I was adopted at birth.
I now know so much more about the genetic family.

Frankly, those people who brought me up and showered me with love, affection and guidance will always be my true parents. I love them eternally for so many reasons. One is that they were told I would be mentally handicapped based on my heritage. That didn't dissuade them, they still loved me and wanted me.

Now I need to know my relatives and where I came from, other than just being told I was adopted. I have uncovered such incredible information, and I want to share this and the struggles to assimilate into another country.

The stay in Athens precedes the trip to Samos, where I have connected with blood relatives. I will be in Athens four days before I venture to the island where my grandmother was born.

Yes, this is an adventure. I can't explain the emotions.
I will document it all.

Hi Spins, adding my good wishes as well. Sounds like this is going to a wonderful (albeit a bit overwhelming)
trip. I do hope it brings you everything you are looking for….safe travels too!!!
New York
2,269 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
What a wonderful trip that is going to be! Can't wait to hear all about it on the TA!
Have a fabulous time, take notes (so we can all hear of the adventure), and be safe!
Linda and John
usa
3,484 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Thanks all for the good wishes.
Today is a celebration of another amazingly wonderful adventure. 44 years with the same terrific guy.
Yikes where did the time go!

Albany, NY
5,407 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Happy Anniversary Spins and Spin Doctor! Enjoy reminiscing about all the good times and many more to come.

Cute funny, M. Cats do indeed have servants, not owners. And don't they know it!

Four weeks from today, we will be landing in London to start another adventure. Lots of work before then. But close enough now that I can feel it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
(photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)

Albany, NY
5,407 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Oh thanks, Jeff. You mean we're only halfway to the easy part?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

(photo review)

usa
3,484 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
If I add in the all of the years from our first marriages, it would bring the total much higher.
I mean being married is being married right? It still counts even if it didn't work out.
Happy day all and it is a happy day!
325 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Happy day, everyone. My first foray into Part 5 of the cooler and it's already close to 60 posts!

I happily spent yesterday celebrating my big 'six-oh', and next week DH and I will be celebrating our (stops to count on fingers, gives up and uses calculator) 36th wedding anniversary. We've actually been together since 1977, but we didn't make it official until '82. He still thinks of me as 18 years old, so I think I'll keep him. (Although I'm sure he has some moments when he does the 'About Schmidt' thing where Jack Nicholson looks at his wife and wonders what happened.)

I'm a bit envious of everyone who is planning for their soon upcoming cruises.

Spins: Your upcoming trip sounds so exciting, and yet somehow daunting. I wish you every happiness as you discover your roots.

We still have 135 days before boarding the Whisper for our Panama canal cruise, but I do have a question for any coolers who might be familiar with Fort Lauderdale hotels. We're planning to fly in a couple of days early (winter, caution due to storms etc.), and I've read about some water taxi tours that we might take on our extra day there to fill the day. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels that are close to where we'll embark onto the Whisper, that might also have easy access to these water taxi tours? My husband is a 'foodie', so access to good restaurants would also be a bonus. Thanks for any insights anyone can offer.

Mysty: isn't EVERY day cat day? (it is according to the felines I've known)

I hope everyone is enjoying their day!