taking wine aboard HAL.

i retired in 2015

1 bottle of wine per person; after that, corkage is $18 per bottle. And it should be in your carry-on, not your checked luggage.

Smooth Sailing! :)

:)

Exactly. But you can then take the bottle you paid the $18 corkage fee on to dinner (the free one must be consumed in your cabin).

If you are a 4 or 5 Star Mariner, you get a 50% discount on the wine package (off the base price not the 15% service fee), which reduces the price per bottle to around $20 (depends on which package you select). For this price, not worth it to bring wine onboard, less you are very selective in your wines.

Exactly. But you can then take the bottle you paid the $18 corkage fee on to dinner (the free one must be consumed in your cabin).

If you are a 4 or 5 Star Mariner, you get a 50% discount on the wine package (off the base price not the 15% service fee), which reduces the price per bottle to around $20 (depends on which package you select). For this price, not worth it to bring wine onboard, less you are very selective in your wines.

You don't have to be all that selective for bringing your own wines aboard to be worth it.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine.

On our June Eurodam cruise we were able to bring on wine with no fees. We boarded in Seattle with 3 bottles in a carry on sack. I never saw any place to pay the corkage for the extra bottle. In all the ports we brought a couple of bottles back in a backpack that went through the xray machine and no one batted an eye. We consumed all the bottles in our suite.

On our June Eurodam cruise we were able to bring on wine with no fees. We boarded in Seattle with 3 bottles in a carry on sack. I never saw any place to pay the corkage for the extra bottle. In all the ports we brought a couple of bottles back in a backpack that went through the xray machine and no one batted an eye. We consumed all the bottles in our suite.

You were lucky, the exception, not the rule.

Do you consider the selections in HAL's packages "cheap wine"?

HAL marks up wine selections at about 3x to 4x retail price. The "Cellar No 1" package features wines that sell for $8 to $10 a bottle - price for that package is $119 for four bottles, plus 15% gratuity.

The markup increases with each tier - one can find numerous "Cellar No 3" selections for $15 or so per bottle - that package goes for $189 for four bottles plus gratuity.

In short, for what you are paying, yes, the packages feature "cheap wine!"

I've embarked now at Seattle, Boston, and San Diego and I've yet to see the check your wine table. Next up is FLL though and there will definitely be a table there.

It has been there in Port Everglades on all our cruises since the started this process.

It has been there in Port Everglades on all our cruises since the started this process.

Maybe there will and maybe there won't. About a year ago, there was no table and the person running the luggage screening said we could only take two bottles. After correcting her, she said there was no one manning the table so we'd have to leave the wine there to be delivered to our room. After some complaining, she said to leave a note on the table with name, cabin number, and number of bottles.

We wanted to pay the corkage so we could take the wine to dinner. Finally had to go to guest services to get it squared away.

HAL marks up wine selections at about 3x to 4x retail price. The "Cellar No 1" package features wines that sell for $8 to $10 a bottle - price for that package is $119 for four bottles, plus 15% gratuity.

The markup increases with each tier - one can find numerous "Cellar No 3" selections for $15 or so per bottle - that package goes for $189 for four bottles plus gratuity.

In short, for what you are paying, yes, the packages feature "cheap wine!"

As a rough rule of thumb, HAL charges a very similar price for a glass of wine as Total Wine charges for a bottle of the same wine.

If I'm going to pay $55 for a bottle of wine ($119 for four bottles), I want to be sure the wine will be worth the price paid. That's why I bring my own wine.

Had a very similar discussion with the bar manager at our Club who said he would like to stock better wines but he can't sell them. He said the typical member thinks red meat - red wine. I'm having steak so what's the cheapest red wine by the glass on the wine list? Fortunately, we can bring our own and pay corkage.

Do you consider the selections in HAL's packages "cheap wine"?

Not rotgut wine, and not real cheap wine either. Based on internet purchase prices for the same wine, the premium package wines average $14.16 retail. The normal package wine averages $13.00 a bottle.

VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE online, one dollar a bottle more when buying online for HA's premium wines, wines that they charge $10 more for! I guess it really is just the snobby factor to buy the premium package. It's definitely not the quality difference (based on retail price! Better off buying off ship and paying the corkage fee for about half the wines, if consumed in cabin. Again that would save a buck or two. Not worth it in my view.

T Tail

I agree. I've seen people scoot past the table with wine, saying that they aren't going to wait because, "If they want my money, they'd have more staff at the wine desk."

Not rotgut wine, and not real cheap wine either. Based on internet purchase prices for the same wine, the premium package wines average $14.16 retail. The normal package wine averages $13.00 a bottle.

VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE online, one dollar a bottle more when buying online for HA's premium wines, wines that they charge $10 more for! I guess it really is just the snobby factor to buy the premium package. It's definitely not the quality difference (based on retail price! Better off buying off ship and paying the corkage fee for about half the wines, if consumed in cabin. Again that would save a buck or two. Not worth it in my view.

T Tail

You make a good point. The difference in pricing between those packages and bring your own and paying corkage is small. The issue isn't how cheaply one can buy wine. The issue is how cheaply can one buy good wines.

We're not paying those package prices for those wines. We can buy a much better bottle of wine, pay corkage, and be comparable to those wine prices. I've already prepared my wine list for our next cruise. I have wine carrier that holds six bottles. We're staying at Embassy Suites so it's a short walk to total wine. I'll be spending more for my wine but they will be highly rated. After spending thousands on a cruise, I can see no justification for buying cheap wines.

We boarded once at terminal 27 instead of the usual 26 and there was no table.

The difference is we want to pay the corkage so we can take our bottles to dinner.
So? If you took an unpaid extra bottle to they'd charge you there, just as if you had brought your allowed free bottle.

I will be taking 3 cases of wine on board my upcoming cruise, and I fully intend to pay corkage. But this discussion has made me wonder - how do they know in the MDR whether you have paid the corkage fee or not?

Anytime we have sailed and we do pay corkage ;) they either put stickers on the bottles or gave me the stickers to put on. That tells the wine steward that the corkage has been paid.

So? If you took an unpaid extra bottle to they'd charge you there, just as if you had brought your allowed free bottle.

I was concerned that I might get double billed. I was supposed to get billed because of the note I left at the wine table. Some one was supposed to bring to my room the stickers for those bottles. The first night, we went to the MDR and I had to explain to the wine steward what had happened. He understood and didn't bill me. I knew then that I might want to inquire at guest services. GS billed me and gave me the stickers. They did seem rather surprised that I was volunteering to pay corkage.