Weather and temps in Alaska in July

RetiredCruiser2015

We are getting closer to our July Alaska Cruise and have been searching the forums on what we might expect for weather and temperatures. See a lot on packing for layers for excursions which is very helpful and that July can be very rainy. However trying to get an idea of what those posting consider cold for July. One post said it can get as cold as low 50s which I don’t necessarily consider cold.

Some posts also say to pack shorts for on the ship because it can get warm.

Our ports ar Juneau, Ketchikan, Scagway, and Icy Strait Point.

Any input on how cold it could get is appreciated. Just trying to get an idea if we are talking turtle necks, thermals and gloves. Or are we talking lighter layers.

Are we talking 30s or are we talking 50s?

Any insight for what to expect in July is appreciated.

Thank you.

We were there in July 2016, and we're from Chicago, so we know cold. We had pretty chilly temps most days we were there. The exception was the afternoon in Skagway, then shorts/tees were useful. I think something that affects how cold it is for me, is the fact that many days we didn't have much sun. When we did the Tracy Arm excursion (well, Endicott), I was in layers for sure. I was breezy and cold. The sun came out a little bit at times, but not the whole time. Our son, who tolerates it better than I do, was in long sleeve, thermal shirt and a sweatshirt and was OK. Of course there's that whole "I'm a teenager, so I'm too cool for a coat!" theory as well...

Anyway, we wore jeans on every excursion, as well as sweatshirts and jackets. We did almost all glacier trips too, so you're basically on ice. As I said though, when we got back after our trip to the glacier in Skagway, the sun was out and it was probably 60ish. We also had gloves almost all the time, and often hats too. Oh, and good socks and boots.

I think it does depend on what you tolerate, although pretty much 99% of the people on every excursion was dressed like us. I don't recall seeing any of those odd people who wear shorts in the middle of a snowstorm. And everyone will tell you, Alaska is very unpredictable with the weather. We didn't have any rain on our trip though, which was great. Even for our 4 days before the cruise in Seattle, no rain!

We did an Alaskan cruise in July a few years ago - Ketchikan, Juneau, Tracy Arm, Skagway.

In Ketchican it was hot and sunny, and we wore capris and a t shirt, and had a jacket just in case.

Juneau it poured rain all day and was cool, maybe 55F. We needed raincoats over jeans and jackets.

The day we were down Tracy Arm was beautiful and sunny but cool. I ended up buying a scarf and gloves from the ship that day. We wanted to be outside as much a possible, and even with a polar fleece jacket on I found my neck and hands were cold.

Skagway was overcast and cool, maybe 55F. Jeans, long sleeve shirt and polar fleece jacket.

Vancouver was sunny and warm both at the start of the cruise and at the end - capris and a t shirt weather.

I would recommend be prepared for rain - either a raincoat or a rain poncho, and may an umbrella too. And the recommendation everyone makes for layers - so true.

Oh yeah, we are Canadian, so much like the previous poster, we know cold. What we found cool might feel frigid if you are from Florida

I would recommend be prepared for rain - either a raincoat or a rain poncho, and may an umbrella too. And the recommendation everyone makes for layers - so true.

If you bring an umbrella, please be judicious in its use. For example, don't use it on deck when many other cruisers are trying to look at the scenery and wildlife or when on a hiking or walking excursion when passengers are in a row. Not only does an umbrella block the views of those around you, it can become an unintentional weapon :D if it slips from your hand. We stick with a hooded rain jacket and/or hooded poncho. Those don't tie up use of one of your hands either!

I went to Vancouver and Alaska July 2017 for 2 weeks. I only had rain one morning in Vancouver and just for a short amount of time. I wore my rain jacket/wind breaker everyday. Some days I wore Columbia fishing pants over leggings for an additional layer.

Skagway felt cold with the wind coming down through the mountains. I think it was around 60 degrees and overcast. At Glacier Bay, the temps were in the 40s and with the ship moving, it was pretty miserable.

So layers! Bring your waterproof jacket, fleece jacket, dri-fit shirts, leggings, jeans, etc. The smartwool socks are good also. They are pricey but maybe you can catch a sale somewhere.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

Expect anything.

I went 2x over the 4th of July. First trip it poured every day with sleet and constant fog. Ship sold out of jackets - it was so cold. Next trip, it was HOT. I went back to change from jeans to shorts.

Same week, totally different.

And this is why packing for July Alaska cruise is causing major anxiety! Bringing everything from shorts to winter coat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I guess I will be prepared for all weather types. So much for trying to keep the luggage at a minimum :o

Well, I guess I will be prepared for all weather types. So much for trying to keep the luggage at a minimum :o

Yep! And that's how I forgot to pack decent, regular walking shoes for our time in Seattle! ;) I had some sandals for dinner and my hiking boots, but no sandals for all the walking we would do in Seattle. So about 2 hours after we got into the city we had to stop at Nordstrom's to get some decent walking shoes. I would have worn my boots if I was wearing jeans, but we were lucky and had some great weather. So I was wearing shorts & capris on most days, and my sandals weren't quite comfortable enough for 8-10 hours of city walking.

Please remember that averages are nice but like any place there are also record highs and lows.

The key is to layer clothing because it could be sunny, cloudy, warm, cool, rainy, windy.

Some of this varies by hour by day etc and also where you are sailing and even what excursions you are doing.

You might also fine tune packing a few days before by looking at the forecast.

It really is no different then many places in the world.

Weather varies and averages are nice to know but if you are there during a record heat wave or cold front the averages don't mean much of anything.

Keith