New stateroom category layout

smellycruzer

As a cruiser who is also a person of size, I would like to propose a new concept here in case anyone from Princess is reading. I thoroughly enjoy the cruising lifestyle, but after years of doing such I have put on a handful of pounds. For me and I'm sure many others, having a bathroom of larger proportions and doorway would be a welcome addition. In order to keep costs in line with current rates, these staterooms would not have a larger footprint, but instead would sacrifice a few square feet of bedroom space (which yes, is tight already).

Are there any cruise lines that do this, or any idea of whether Princess will do this?

Unfortunately the only way to obtain a larger bathroom on Princess is to book a full suite.

Even the mini suites offer pretty much the same size bathroom and unless you qualify for a handicapped room there's not much else available.

I wonder what qualifies for getting a handicapped stateroom. I don't have a handicap pass yet, and certainly don't want to take a handicap room from someone with a wheelchair or crutches, but if there would happen to be an unbooked handicapped room, would they be willing to switch me?

now,I don't know this for a fact, nor have I ever done it, but some posters have posted on some ships, you can use the spa facilities - or right outside the spa - and use those showers

i'm sure someone can explain that in more detail than I just have

I wonder what qualifies for getting a handicapped stateroom. I don't have a handicap pass yet, and certainly don't want to take a handicap room from someone with a wheelchair or crutches, but if there would happen to be an unbooked handicapped room, would they be willing to switch me?

I have a family member who needs an HA cabin, so am somewhat familiar with the process. To book it remote from the cruise, you need to attest to a statement that you or a member of your party requires the HA cabin. It is a violation of the ADA for the cruise line to ask why you need it. If you are using Princess transfers, there is another form documenting your specific needs for transportation (wheelchair, walker, scooter, weight of person + device, etc). Several weeks before the cruise, most cruise lines stop "holding" HA cabins for those who need them. At that time they can be booked by others and used for upgrades or upsells. Do be aware that if someone requiring an HA cabin contacts Princess to book one, you would still be subject to being moved--usually to an upgrade from what you've booked.

Princess has a lot of older cruisers who need the HA cabins. This includes a number of people who may not need accommodations on land, but rent a scooter for the distances on the ship. HAs tend to go quickly. We've looked at MANY cruises which we were unable to book as the HA was not available. On the other hand, we have a cruise this fall that was still showing an HA available as of last week.

I appreciate that you are not taking a cabin from someone who needs it in order to cruise. Bottom line, it never hurts to let Princess know you'd like one provided that it isn't needed by someone with physical issues.

I would definitely go for a mini suite if your budget allows. Granted the door way is not wider. But once inside the bathroom is longer which is a plus and you have a longer counter. The issue you might have is stepping up into the bathtub but it does have grab rails. Having the bathtub running the length of the bathroom it opens up the bathroom and it gives you the extra width to move around and not feel so claustrophobic. You would feel very comfortable if you could snag a window suite on one of the few ships that have them. A bit more expensive then a mini but a lot cheaper then a suite and the bathrooms are huge with both a walk in shower with a glass door and a jetted tub. Think that would be the best any of us can do right now on a Princess Cruise.

now,I don't know this for a fact, nor have I ever done it, but some posters have posted on some ships, you can use the spa facilities - or right outside the spa - and use those showers

i'm sure someone can explain that in more detail than I just have

There are locker rooms in the spa area. They can be used by anyone, whether using the spa, fitness center, or just coming in to shower. THe set up is a little different on the various ships, but the showers are always bigger than the standard stateroom showers. You just walk into the spa area and if anyone says anything, tell them you are going to shower. There are lockers to store your stuff, towels, etc. The set up is nicer on some ships than on others.

Entire cabin, including the bathroom are prefabbed off site and slipped into the ship's superstructure at the shipbuilders dock. What you suggest would require the cutting of several double layers fiberglass walls. I would think this would weaken the stability of the unit. The main point, they have no reason to do it. Ships sail at capacity and have no reason to attract ANY special interest group.

There are locker rooms in the spa area. They can be used by anyone' date=' whether using the spa, fitness center, or just coming in to shower. THe set up is a little different on the various ships, but the showers are always bigger than the standard stateroom showers. You just walk into the spa area and if anyone says anything, tell them you are going to shower. There are lockers to store your stuff, towels, etc. The set up is nicer on some ships than on others.[/quote']

Great idea! I will try that next time. One of the few places on the ship I haven't been to, crew or passenger. Maybe with some motivation I'll go on one of those machines in the fitness center while I'm there and shave off a pound or hundred :confused:

Entire cabin, including the bathroom are prefabbed off site and slipped into the ship's superstructure at the shipbuilders dock. What you suggest would require the cutting of several double layers fiberglass walls. I would think this would weaken the stability of the unit. The main point, they have no reason to do it. Ships sail at capacity and have no reason to attract ANY special interest group.

Couldn't they design a few prefab units of different dimensions? They do it already for suites. And I'd be willing to pay a bit more as I'm sure others would too.

I don't think we're a special interest group, rather ordinary folk that would appreciate a little breathing room getting to the commode.

As a plus-sized person myself, I have tried the mini-suite on Princess and appreciate the extra space in front of the basin and being able to bend down. I don't like to have to climb into the bathtub but it's better than having that extremely close relationship with the shower curtain in a standard balcony.

We spent 12 nights earlier this year in a mini-suite on the newest NCL ship the Norwegian Bliss and it WAS bliss - a walk-in shower with sliding doors the length of a bath with multiple body jets and a bathroom with masses of space. Now that's what Princess needs to invest in!

• 3 weeks later...
As a plus-sized person myself, I have tried the mini-suite on Princess and appreciate the extra space in front of the basin and being able to bend down. I don't like to have to climb into the bathtub but it's better than having that extremely close relationship with the shower curtain in a standard balcony.

We spent 12 nights earlier this year in a mini-suite on the newest NCL ship the Norwegian Bliss and it WAS bliss - a walk-in shower with sliding doors the length of a bath with multiple body jets and a bathroom with masses of space. Now that's what Princess needs to invest in!

That's some good intel Dides, I don't have NCL on my radar as I'm a die-hard Princess cruiser, but may have to take a look next time around.

I have a family member who needs an HA cabin' date=' so am somewhat familiar with the process. To book it remote from the cruise, you need to attest to a statement that you or a member of your party requires the HA cabin. It is a violation of the ADA for the cruise line to ask why you need it. If you are using Princess transfers, there is another form documenting your specific needs for transportation (wheelchair, walker, scooter, weight of person + device, etc). Several weeks before the cruise, most cruise lines stop "holding" HA cabins for those who need them. At that time they can be booked by others and used for upgrades or upsells. Do be aware that if someone requiring an HA cabin contacts Princess to book one, you would still be subject to being moved--usually to an upgrade from what you've booked.

Princess has a lot of older cruisers who need the HA cabins. This includes a number of people who may not need accommodations on land, but rent a scooter for the distances on the ship. HAs tend to go quickly. We've looked at MANY cruises which we were unable to book as the HA was not available. On the other hand, we have a cruise this fall that was still showing an HA available as of last week.

I appreciate that you are not taking a cabin from someone who needs it in order to cruise. Bottom line, it never hurts to let Princess know you'd like one provided that it isn't needed by someone with physical issues.[/quote']

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't HC intended for those who have a scooter, wheelchair, or crutches, who need wider door ways, room to "park" the scooter, or a shower that is roll in or walk in (without a lip) a lower sink and a seat in the shower?

I know of people who do not have any of those "qualifiers" yet always get a HC. HOw are they doing this?

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't HC intended for those who have a scooter, wheelchair, or crutches, who need wider door ways, room to "park" the scooter, or a shower that is roll in or walk in (without a lip) a lower sink and a seat in the shower?

I know of people who do not have any of those "qualifiers" yet always get a HC. HOw are they doing this?

I use a walker for mobility and require grab rails in the shower for safety-certain body areas I must stand to wash, so the rails are very reassuring. The flexible shower hose is also most helpful in getting to areas I cannot easily reach myself, and feels WONDERFUL!

I booked through a TA, who phoned Princess to book. I've sailed with Princess before, so they know my requirements, and I update the details if anything changes.