What to pack for a 80 day cruise to South America and Antartica

lloyd2050

Does the Antarctic portion of your trip come with an expedition jacket? If so, that and some wind pants and waterproof boots and gloves are likely all you will need for outerwear. Some people wore hats but I didn't need one most of the time.

With the required expedition jacket and a life preserver, I was actually too warm on some of the Antarctic landings. I eventually ditched the Under Armour long underwear and just went with a sweatshirt and cotton leggings under the waterproof outerwear. Do bring several pairs of thick socks as there were some landings were the water was halfway up my boots. Also, depending on the seas, quite A LOT of water can come in the Zodiac so knee-high boots were essential.

Overall, in 2008, our Antarctica trip was NOT that cold most of the time - low to mid 30's Fahrenheit and quite sunny a good amount of time. That opinion is from me, a born and bred Gulf Coast Floridian. On our return to the USA, Washington, D. C. and Atlanta were colder than Antarctica.

Enjoy your trip! Antarctica is my fave place, by far. Beautiful, wild, non-commercial, splendid!

Edited by Bookish Angel

Does the Antarctic portion of your trip come with an expedition jacket? If so, that and some wind pants and waterproof boots and gloves are likely all you will need for outerwear. Some people wore hats but I didn't need one most of the time.

With the required expedition jacket and a life preserver, I was actually too warm on some of the Antarctic landings. I eventually ditched the Under Armour long underwear and just went with a sweatshirt and cotton leggings under the waterproof outerwear. Do bring several pairs of thick socks as there were some landings were the water was halfway up my boots. Also, depending on the seas, quite A LOT of water can come in the Zodiac so knee-high boots were essential.

Overall, in 2008, our Antarctica trip was NOT that cold most of the time - low to mid 30's Fahrenheit and quite sunny a good amount of time. That opinion is from me, a born and bred Gulf Coast Floridian. On our return to the USA, Washington, D. C. and Atlanta were colder than Antarctica.

Enjoy your trip! Antarctica is my fave place, by far. Beautiful, wild, non-commercial, splendid!

Based on the fact that the OP is doing an 80 day cruise, I seriously doubt that they are actually going to do any landings in Antarctica. They are doing a cruise by trip through Antarctica, not a cruise to Antarctica. Big difference in my opinion.

DON

Also you will want some additional clothing just so you don't get bored with what you are wearing.

In other words I would take more choices then you would for one single cruise forgetting for a moment warm or cold clothing so you don't fee like you are wearing the same clothes all the time.

Also be sure to think through the toiletries and over the counter medicines and even prescription medicines you take with you since you will be gone for such a long time.

Keith