Using Oceania air

flirteur

Hi Gig Harborite! I was just up your way yesterday to go to my grandson's JV football game and Friday night for the Varsity game and will be there Saturday for granddaughter's birthday party. With three active grandchildren in Gig Harbor, we can almost put the car on autopilot!

I don't have an answer for you about Seattle to Miami flights with Oceania. I do want to say that we have been very happy dealing with Oceania Air for our upcoming trip to Barcelona. I checked out the possible flights before dealing with Oceania Air and there were some really horrible possibilities. Oceania Air found us a better connection than I could find through the air search engines (Travelocity, etc.). You do not have to accept their first choice and you do not have to pay until you have accepted a flight so do your homework before you deal with them. Good luck!

<snip> I do want to say that we have been very happy dealing with Oceania Air for our upcoming trip to Barcelona. I checked out the possible flights before dealing with Oceania Air and there were some really horrible possibilities. Oceania Air found us a better connection than I could find through the air search engines (Travelocity, etc.). You do not have to accept their first choice and you do not have to pay until you have accepted a flight so do your homework before you deal with them. Good luck!

Starlaker, I am assuming in this case you are talking about air deviation. There is a charge for that, but worthwhile if you want to go early, stay longer, stopover somewhere, or avoid unpleasantly bad connections!

Frances

Yes Tansy, I am talking about air deviation. We always want to get in at least a day early in case of any flight delays and to get rested after long flights. We learned our lesson on our very first cruise. Our flight was delayed and we were the last ones on the ship before they pulled up the gangplank. Don't ever want to go through that stress again.

I would suggest that asking others what they have encountered is not very useful. Things change depending on itinerary.

You need to ask for the plan and see what the result is. If you have a TA, let that person know what you would accept.

It's easier with a deviation since you don't have to pay upfront until you accept the plans. Come to think of it -- I don't see why you wouldn't have time to accept the itinerary even if you don't take a deviation.

(The only times we have taken O's flights -- not often -- was when we had a deviation.)

For us, for the most part we book our own air. It's easy for us in terms of European flights since we leave from the metropolitan NYC area.

Mura

We have an American Airlines direct flight from Phoenix to Miami departing at 8.39 am and arriving at 4.21pm. I always feel a direct flight gives you a better chance of not having your luggage get lost. We are arriving a day early and this was accepted as part of our Air Deviation. I was afraid Oceania would select the flight that left just after 12:00am the day of the cruise and we would arrive in time to board the ship but completely exhausted. Flo

I would pay the deviation fee & choose the flights you want

fly in a day or so early so you are rested up for the cruise

You can submit the flights you would like to Oceania & see if they can get them for you without an upcharge

you only pay the fee once you accept the flights you can submit different ones or ask O what they will give you

then decide

Option 2 take the air credit & book the flights you want

We have an American Airlines direct flight from Phoenix to Miami departing at 8.39 am and arriving at 4.21pm. I always feel a direct flight gives you a better chance of not having your luggage get lost. We are arriving a day early and this was accepted as part of our Air Deviation. I was afraid Oceania would select the flight that left just after 12:00am the day of the cruise and we would arrive in time to board the ship but completely exhausted. Flo

It is fairly safe to say that almost everyone who is traveling a great distance would prefer to travel in a day early if everything else was equal.

But it's not.

What needs to be factored into that equation is that the "included Air" only covers Air travel on Embarkation/Disembarkation dates.

Air Travel on any other dates would require either payment of the Deviation Fee, or opting out of the Oceania Air Program altogether, and using the refunded portion of the fare to book flights independently.

In April we took 1/2 the Oceania air credit ($800-$400) and booked our own direct flight from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale on Alaska Air for $436 for the two of us. The flight left Seattle at 8:40 am, and arrived in FLL at 5:25 pm. After spending the night in Fort Lauderdale we took SAS transport to the Port of Miami at a cost of $15 pp.

We accepted Oceania's air for the return from MIA - SEA on American. It left in the afternoon and we had a layover in Houston.

Just need to remember, a direct flight definitely has stops before arrival at your destination and at times there are actually plane changes on direct lights. If you mean non-stop, you need to use that term. In the airline industry Direct and non-stop are not necessarily the same and if you ask an airline employee for a direct light there is no guarantee the plane won't stop before your destination and in some rare cases might even have a change in aircraft.

What flight itineraries have you experienced Seattle to Miami and return? Also Phoenix to Miami r/t?

We are hoping for a minimum of plane changes and layovers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To answer part of your specific question - we have twice taken Oceania air without deviation SEA to MIA and return. Because of airline schedules and time zones you will get a red eye from SEA leaving late evening with a plane change in Atlanta or Charlotte and arriving in MIA around 8 AM. This will leave you with time to kill before boarding. Last time we went for a leisurely breakfast in the hotel in the airport and took a taxi to the port around 11.

Returning to SEA is hard because of the time zones. If you leave MIA at 11 or 12 (which is reasonable due to possible delays in disembarking and inevitable delays in security at MIA) it is already 2 or 3 in Seattle. If you can make a connection you will get home around midnight. We had to spend the night in Charlotte once and got home mid afternoon.

Basically connections from SEA to Florida suck. Go a day early if you can :D

Robbie (from Puyallup)

Robbie think you got your time zones bassackwards for the Miami to Seattle portion. That is the easiest direction as 11 to 12 noon in Miami is actually 8 to 9 am in Seattle so a say 6 hour flight to Seattle at the specified 11 to 12 departure wound get to Seattle about 2 to 3 pm Seattle time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Took O deviation pre cruise out of Long Beach.Originally booked AA JFK non stop to LAX O was charging an up charge of 150.00 pp the flight cost was 543.00 pp one way.Then I checked Delta and there price was $254.00 pp.So no up charge just the $150-00 pp deviation fee.

Took O deviation pre cruise out of Long Beach.Originally booked AA JFK non stop to LAX O was charging an up charge of 150.00 pp the flight cost was 543.00 pp one way.Then I checked Delta and there price was $254.00 pp.So no up charge just the $150-00 pp deviation fee.

Sorry the $175.00 pp deviation fee.

Why don't you take the one way credit not pay the deviation and buy your own ticket. You save the deviation fee and probably get $200 or so credit so you pay $54 and not $175 and get the same flight??

Robbie think you got your time zones bassackwards for the Miami to Seattle portion. That is the easiest direction as 11 to 12 noon in Miami is actually 8 to 9 am in Seattle so a say 6 hour flight to Seattle at the specified 11 to 12 departure wound get to Seattle about 2 to 3 pm Seattle time

Well you're right about the time zones. I blew that one :eek::o

However, the essential point is that there are practically no flight to SEA from MIA between early morning until late afternoon. I just did a check and found only 2 between 11 and 1 and one of those routed through Chicago and the other through Newark, which, if it is winter, is a big gamble. Starting around 5 PM there are a bunch of flights which, of course, put you in SEA late evening. I don't think there are any direct,nonstop flights MIA to SEA except maybe at 7 AM which doesn't work for cruisers.

Basically, you can't get here from there :D

Well you're right about the time zones. I blew that one :eek::o

However, the essential point is that there are practically no flight to SEA from MIA between early morning until late afternoon. I just did a check and found only 2 between 11 and 1 and one of those routed through Chicago and the other through Newark, which, if it is winter, is a big gamble. Starting around 5 PM there are a bunch of flights which, of course, put you in SEA late evening. I don't think there are any direct,nonstop flights MIA to SEA except maybe at 7 AM which doesn't work for cruisers.

Basically, you can't get here from there :D

Here is a website that I prefer to look at to see which flights are available:

http://www.itasoftware.com

One possible solution to the no flights is to go out of ft lauderdale where there might be more flights and not a lot further than Miami

ITAsoftware puts kayak and most other sites to shame

Edited by rallydave

ITA has almost all airlines except the big discounters like SW Ryan Air easy jet and the like and almost all the possible flights while kayak and others are very limited in comparison.

I'd estimate ITA has more than 3 times the fights and double or more of the airlines. ITA provides the reservation software to many of the airlines while kayak while better than some of the others like Expedia Orbitz etc still pulls from the airlines while ITA is using the airlines SW

Dave, I looked at ITA. Seems to have pretty much the same features. What's the difference?

I chose a random date in Dec it shows 8 flights for MIA to SEA between 11:30am & 2pm

they are all with a connection though