Cabins for three ladies ova 60 how to avoid bunk bed ?

mojoboyle

If the OP is tight on space she could take one less pair of shoes or leave the toilet paper at home. :) (there's a fascinating thread over on the Carnival forum about people bringing their own TP on cruises.)

Oh no! Someone has really bought into the commercial with the family of bears and dear old daddy bear can't bear to stay somewhere without his preferred brand of TP! As someone who has had experiences with both marine toilets and septic systems I believe that all cruise ships use a quickly digested type of TP to keep things from backing up so to speak. And people wonder why the hall where their stateroom is located smells like sewage!

I am still waiting for the OP to come back to find out if anyone has to sleep in a pullman! I hope that when they booked they got a stateroom with a pullout couch instead.

My 2 sisters and I did 3 in a cabin with a bunk in October. We are all over 60, and then some. The alternatives were: a much more expensive cabin, don't go, or take the cabin with the bunk. The sister who volunteered to take the bunk is 69 and did mostly fine. A couple of bobbles getting up the first 2 nights. Once she got the hang of it, all was well. I slept in the bed underneath and I couldn't sit up in bed without hitting my head. That was probably the biggest issue.

We are going again next August, same arrangement unless we somehow find enough money for a mini-suite.

My 2 sisters and I did 3 in a cabin with a bunk in October. We are all over 60, and then some. The alternatives were: a much more expensive cabin, don't go, or take the cabin with the bunk. The sister who volunteered to take the bunk is 69 and did mostly fine. A couple of bobbles getting up the first 2 nights. Once she got the hang of it, all was well. I slept in the bed underneath and I couldn't sit up in bed without hitting my head. That was probably the biggest issue.

We are going again next August, same arrangement unless we somehow find enough money for a mini-suite.

Why not book a cabin with a sofa bed which is a lot cheaper than a suite.

:DMy sister has booked a surprise cruise on the aurora on 22 of this month . I have never been on a cruise ship before and I am worried how I will manage the bunk bed sleeping arrangements, is there any way to avoid climbing a ladder to bed ?

Contact your travel agent.

Why not upgrade to a mini-suite or suite? Or choose a cruise line that offers a sofa bed.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

I know this is off topic, but this post reminds me of a story. A few years back my best friend from college was getting married for the first time at his parents lake house. They have a large workshop room that has a full bath and a set of bunk beds and several cots. This room became the single men's dorm in the days leading up to the wedding. My best friend and I got the bunk beds because they were more comfortable than the cots and we were the oldest two there (late 40's early 50's). I ended up getting the top bunk because I did not want the grooms dog to jump in bed with me, I am not a house pet person. Long story longer, I have sleep apnea and insomnia so I am up and down all night every-night. Sometime in the middle of the night I climb down out the bunk and manage to step onto and through a Styrofoam cooler that was at the foot of the bed:'). It makes a huge noise and I wake everyone up, there I am one foot in the cooler and one foot on the ladder just kind of stuck. Anyway we had a big laugh and declared this is why 50 year old men do not sleep in bunk beds.

Oh no! Someone has really bought into the commercial with the family of bears and dear old daddy bear can't bear to stay somewhere without his preferred brand of TP! As someone who has had experiences with both marine toilets and septic systems I believe that all cruise ships use a quickly digested type of TP to keep things from backing up so to speak. And people wonder why the hall where their stateroom is located smells like sewage!

I am still waiting for the OP to come back to find out if anyone has to sleep in a pullman! I hope that when they booked they got a stateroom with a pullout couch instead.

The upshot of that thread was that any TP is ok. Just don’t use those flushable wipes. Those aren’t flushable.

See Post 13 by ChengKP

Carnival Toilet Paper Quality

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2560671https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2560671

• 2 weeks later...
:DMy sister has booked a surprise cruise on the aurora on 22 of this month . I have never been on a cruise ship before and I am worried how I will manage the bunk bed sleeping arrangements, is there any way to avoid climbing a ladder to bed ?

Its a bit late now, but you really should have asked your TA to tell you precisely what your sleeping arrangements are. And if that were not suitable to ask what would be more appropriate for you ladies. I'm surprised that they would book three 'mature' ladies into a cabin with bunks, but you need to check it out. Your sister is very kind to have booked this surprise for you, but two weeks of discomfort and fear/risk should not be a price you are expected to pay.

If the TA can't help, your only other recourse would be to present the problem to the Reception Desk on board the ship. They may have a spare cabin.

Its a bit late now, but you really should have asked your TA to tell you precisely what your sleeping arrangements are. And if that were not suitable to ask what would be more appropriate for you ladies. I'm surprised that they would book three 'mature' ladies into a cabin with bunks, but you need to check it out. Your sister is very kind to have booked this surprise for you, but two weeks of discomfort and fear/risk should not be a price you are expected to pay.

If the TA can't help, your only other recourse would be to present the problem to the Reception Desk on board the ship. They may have a spare cabin.

Our recent cruise we were booked in a 3 person room - separated queen into twins and a bunk. That's 3 over 60's people (way over, including my mother-in-law). We upgraded to a mini suite with a sofa bed.

A number of us went from the US to a meeting in Stockholm. This was before internet and we booked a hotel on the recommended list for the meeting. We get there to find that the hotel is one of those compact room hotels where the rooms are like a cabin on a ship some generations ago - something similar to Cabinn or The Hub hotels now.

I got to my room to find that it was an inside room - no windows. (Not a bad thing for the jet lagged first night since it was mid-summer)

One over 70 year old and his similarly aged wife got a room with bunk beds.

Fortunately they were able to get a different room after the first night.

We have had cabins on Carnival with two beds and a sofa they make into a bed at night. There have been pull down beds above the sofa so cabin is for 4. This would work for you.

But it looks like this cruise is booked and coming up soon.

In the future, most cabins on NCL have a sofa bed or trundle for the 3rd passenger, Pullman’s for the fourth.