What do you wish was in your carry-on for the long flight.

Cocolab

I have a small wheelie bag as cabin baggage, which fits in the overhead locker. Inside it I have a smaller plastic bag with what I need for the flight, so I can just pull that when we get on board.

Having seen first hand thousands of checked bags not make their flights, I always carry enough basic clothes for a couple of days in my carry on. If travelling to somewhere hot I take a swimsuit, shorts, a couple of tops, pjs, socks, a couple of changes of undies! It's also a good idea to have a change of clothes in case the cabin crew spill wine or coffee on you.

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought I'd confess what I carry-on, but here it goes...

My carry-on bag is not a big one, just one of those medium-sized Longchamps Le Pliage totes that are basically one big black-hole to stuff everything in to. They make a great beach bag (waterproof lining) for when I get to my destination, and with the zip closing (and detachable strap I can use for a cross-body bag) it addresses my safety-concerns when out and about. It is really invaluable to my trip well beyond the flight. I still have my purse with me as a personal-item, and manage to bring plenty of things with me without having a roller case. Here's my curated packing list for long flights!:

-A small packing-cube containing one pair socks, underwear and a shirt (all rolled up tight) if my luggage goes missing

-A TSA compliant toiletry case to corral my cosmetics, travel-sized skincare and hair products (again if luggage goes missing I want this stuff and do not want to repurchase). For long-trips, I also take additional larger sized containers of hair and skincare items go in the checked luggage, but always have travel sized versions on the flight.

-An individually packaged deodorant wipe (just in case -- can you sense a theme here?)

-My no-jet-lag homeopathic pills (depending on how many time zones I'm crossing)

-My neck-pillow which isn't a pillow at all. It takes up hardly any room and is called a 'trtl' travel pillow. More like a scarf with a rigid support. Great for side-sleeping and keeping your head propped up.

-An insulated water bottle to keep my water cold and available without the tray down. I top this up when they bring around water and use it throughout my trip.

-A large cashmere throw, tightly rolled -- this is invaluable. Mine is so long it covers from my neck and past my feet so I can tuck it under and have an extra layer of cushiness and warmth from the cold floor. I also use it in hotels pre/post cruise and on the ship with the air-conditioning.

-A good eye mask that is gentle, adjustable and wide enough to actually block out everything (mine is fleece lined with a 'do not disturb' sign I can flip out -- even has a pocket for my earplugs!)

- Cotton pads & toner to have a clean face overnight and refresh periodically

- A fancy face-oil to keep my skin moist and to enjoy the aromatherapy aspect

- Lip-balm

-toothpaste, toothbrush and mouthwash (mouthwash is more practical if there is a line for the toilet)

-Comfy cushy socks to slip in to (like they make sock-monkeys out of!)

-Earplugs (I put a pair in every single bag, so I have extras if I lose one or have put one of my bags in the o/h bin)

-A comb (takes up less room and fits in the toiletry kit)

-pack of Kleenex, beyond the obvious use it is handy to wipe fingers or spit out your gum into

-Noise-cancelling headphones

-Laptop for music, movies and games (it's a small MacBook Air so not heavy)

-Last but not least, a small gourmet box of chocolates, such a treat to open periodically and pick out a new flavor, and no chance you will get chocolate 'flakes' on your clothing when breaking pieces off a bar. My family loves me for packing this one item in particular.

I honestly can't believe I can fit all this stuff in 2 smallish bags, not to mention the notebook, novel, sunglasses, travel documents, phone and wallet (with foreign-currency when required) in my purse. PHEW!!!

Edited by Epicureangirl
typos galore!

It's only an 8-9 hour flight for LAX to PPT, I was on the tarmac in ATL last month almost that long. Yes it's boring, but it's not like going to Sydney or Hong Kong.

So true! After one has been on an airplane for 13 hours 8.5 hours seems like nothing.I have had my luggage displaced three times.So I always bring enough clothes to last me for a couple of days.For my cruise leaving 2/12 I have my swimsuit,cover up,water shoes,a pair of capris and a top ,underwear and the clothes I am wearing for my Valentines day dinner at Jacques.I also bring wipes to wipe down the armrests,tray table on the plane.Usually bring general wipes but with this bad flu season I am bring Clorox wipes-the brand on the CDC approved list.I also have a bunch with gloves for the ship

I have a small wheelie bag as cabin baggage, which fits in the overhead locker. Inside it I have a smaller plastic bag with what I need for the flight, so I can just pull that when we get on board.

Having seen first hand thousands of checked bags not make their flights, I always carry enough basic clothes for a couple of days in my carry on. If travelling to somewhere hot I take a swimsuit, shorts, a couple of tops, pjs, socks, a couple of changes of undies! It's also a good idea to have a change of clothes in case the cabin crew spill wine or coffee on you.

Plus 1

I always have extra underwear, 1 for day, one for night tops, shoes, 1 day slacks,1 black Chicos travelers slacks nightwear, light weight robe, meds and makeup..including body lotion..toothpaste and brush hair brush and comb..If my luggage does not make it..I am equipped for at least 3 days..dont forget your phone Ipad and cords..last but not least Jewelry

Lucky I bought my roll on at Costco and everything fits..We grab a sandwich at Starbucks and carry it on..

Jancruz1

• 2 weeks later...

Long flights can be good or bad. Making the best of a situation is the goal. I wear compression hose. If you have ever had swollen feet or legs from flying, you will never fly without wearing them. I do not take off shoes. I also try to get up and walk around when I can. What do I take? My phone, passport, and money is on me under my clothes. I put the following items in a sportsac which goes on the floor under the seat. Headphones, earplugs,ipad, kindle, ipod loaded with my music, charging cord or extra batteries, tissues, wipes, toothbrush with paste( brushups), dentalfloss, comb, brush, compact with mirror, wet ones, small pillow, scarf, eyemask, backpad, snacks, eye glass case, meds for the trip, .... I wear loose fitting breathable fabrics, hoodie, cotton underwear. In my carryon that I put in the overhead bin are 2 changes of clothes, bathing suit(warm places), rain jacket, umbrella, toiletries, meds for the vacation with extras, makeup, immodium, sunglasses, hat, camera and chargers, jewelry(usually take a small amount of costume items) chargers for devices, deodorant, tour guides, tickets, maps, reciepts, and my book of info for the trip. Next week, I will be on 16 hour flight. Longest that I have ever been on. Hope that I get some decent sleep along the way. Maybe I should take a sleeping med.

I also posted this onTripAdvisor: I thought I would ask here as well since I am coming to French Polynesia for a cruise.

Those of you who have done this flight (LAX-PPT) what are your suggestions for a comfortable flight in economy class on Air Tahiti Nui. We are flying the red-eye both ways.

Based on your experience...I would like ideas on what to bring......comforts to put in my carry-on...toothbrush, eye mask, slippers, etc.....what did you bring or wish you would have brought. Thank you.

A business /first class ticket..... You can up grade for $$$ at the airport or O sometimes sells the up grade for about $600-700m pp. Tahiti NUI does too on a space avail/first come basis from the counter. You can not do it in advance.

Comfort and economy in airlines should not be used together.

Wear very comfortable loose clothing. Knits work well. No underwire bra or tight jeans. The best tip for flying is hydrate. Drink water or clear soda. Always wear long pants and sleeves on a plane. Protects your skin from spills and burns. I have been on planes that experience turbulance. Change your watch to match time at your destination. Start to think on the new time. It helps you to adapt to the time at your destination.

Plus 1

I always have extra underwear, 1 for day, one for night tops, shoes, 1 day slacks,1 black Chicos travelers slacks nightwear, light weight robe, meds and makeup..including body lotion..toothpaste and brush hair brush and comb..If my luggage does not make it..I am equipped for at least 3 days..dont forget your phone Ipad and cords..last but not least Jewelry

Lucky I bought my roll on at Costco and everything fits..We grab a sandwich at Starbucks and carry it on..

Jancruz1

Back in 1982 or thereabouts we were flying to Merida for a Yucatan vacation. I was flying from NYC, Howard was on a business trip so he was flying from LAX. Unfortunately, remember the DC10 problems back then? He ended up spending the night in Mexico City, I was alone in Merida.

AA lost my luggage. (At least they found it and delivered it to me the next morning.) But I had nothing on hand ... dined alone in the hotel restaurant accompanied by glares from all the couples. Not sure why ...

Ever since then I bring necessary spare clothes in my carry-on. NOT as extensive as Jan's (my computer is more important these days), but sufficient to carry me through a couple of days if necessary.

Trying to remember how I brushed my teeth ...

Mura

A business /first class ticket..... You can up grade for $$$ at the airport or O sometimes sells the up grade for about $600-700m pp. Tahiti NUI does too on a space avail/first come basis from the counter. You can not do it in advance.

Comfort and economy in airlines should not be used together.

Dan, I'm very curious. When has O given the upgrade you mention. I never asked them, so I don't know. I've always gone by the fares they quote from the get-go. And I guess the important question is how to know when to ask! And of course most of the time we've booked our own air.

I'm not sure if this will be pertinent to us in the future anyway ... given my husband's vision problems we may not be traveling much in the future. Then again, I may be traveling alone!

Mura

Glad someone finally mentioned the Clorox wipes for the trays and controls. I also wipe the armrests and headrest and air vent, and bring hand sanitizer. I got pneumonia after a flight back from Tahiti, and have cleaned my seat on every flight since then. A big bottle of water (or two) is also a must, and keep the plastic bag from the shop to line the seat pocket.

Noise cancelling headphones (vastly different from what the airlines give you) are a must if you travel often. I always pack socks, flip-flops and a clean shirt in my carryon. Some facial wipes, moisturizer, eye drops and chapstick will also help you stay comfortable on long flights. These stay permanently in a TSA baggie in my carryon.