Pacific Sun Cancelled

timaus04

Eight of had been booked on a cruise departing 25 August 2012.

Received an email from P&O Australia today (18 Dec 2011) stating that all Pacific Sun cruises have been cancelled from July 2012 due to selling the ship. Not very happy as they offered what they described as a "comparable" cruise at the same price – on a different date. Maybe they need geography lessons as a South Pacific cruise departing from Sydney is not even close to being an Asian cruise departing from Fremantle (Perth) 3,936 kilometres away! The only thing it would have in common is that it is a ship on water.

This would have been my first trip with P&O Australia but you can rest assured they will never get another chance to disappoint us.

I will stick with Royal Caribbean.

Tim

:mad:

So, you get to cruise on a newer, bigger ship, they'll pay for your flights from Perth to Sydney and if the cruise they offer you costs less, they'll refund the difference (or if more, they won't charge you any more)? Wow...what a terrible offer! *sarcasm*

And I notice this is your first post here. If this as the Carnival Cruises forum (head on over and check 'em out), you'd be accused of being a troll...

Received an email from P&O Australia today (18 Dec 2011) stating that all Pacific Sun cruises have been cancelled from July 2012 due to selling the ship. Not very happy as they offered what they described as a "comparable" cruise at the same price – on a different date. Maybe they need geography lessons as a South Pacific cruise departing from Sydney is not even close to being an Asian cruise departing from Fremantle (Perth) 3,936 kilometres away! The only thing it would have in common is that it is a ship on water.

This would have been my first trip with P&O Australia but you can rest assured they will never get another chance to disappoint us.

Tim

Maybe just take the refund from P&O and book with Royal Caribbean. Of course, you will have to pay for flights from Adelaide to Sydney (and return).:)

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

This would have been my first trip with P&O Australia but you can rest assured they will never get another chance to disappoint us.I will stick with Royal Caribbean.

I understand your frustration, but dont forget that Royal Caribbean have cancelled cruises on people who have booked as well.

eg ...The repositioning of Rhapsody for the Drydock in Singapore , mucked a lot of people around.They all had to make changes, but they got over it.:)

Tim

Your not missing out on anything. If you have been with Royal Caribbean then your guaranteed that the ships you have been on are 100 times better than this piece of scrap metal that is finally going. The sooner the better in my opinion. P&O absolutely shafted Newcastle with this floating piece of trash.

My grandparents were on one sailing of this ship and had sewage and scum invade their cabin from the drains in the bathroom. The ship was crap and a slime infested dank hole. My grandparents have been on Aurora, Star Princess, Sapphire Princess, Island Princess, Sun Princess and Diamond Princess. They are the type of people that when they go out they enjoy it at a RSL club or bowling club. They have reasonable expectations. They loved Princess and their description of Pacific Sun is too graphic to print! They will not be going back to P&O Australia again.

Tim

Hi Tim, I can see you are upset but in reality they have made you a pretty good offer to move over to another cruise, free flights, newer ship etc. There will always be lots of choice for cruises in the Sth Pacific leaving from the east coast but I would love to do one from WA especially if I did not have to pay for the flights!

Take a deep breathe and think it over before you make up your mind..you have time to examine all the options. What ship and itinerary did they offer you?

Hi Tim, don't let it make you bitter. Most things seem to happen for a reason.

I know it is disappointing and frustrating right now, but P&O have given plenty of warning which is more than you would get in some cases. There are thousands of people who have had great holidays on Pacific Sun who are devastated right now, so you're not alone. :(

I hope you find a marvellous cruise to take its place. Good luck. :)

Sorry to hear of your cancelled cruise Tim.

I suppose a lot of people had been waiting for this kind of news regarding Pacific Sun and I thought it was going to occur soon due to the fact that they had no Pacific Sun cruises listed in their P&O Sailaway mag which came out last week.

Did they mention any replacement vessel in their email or were the alternate cruises just offered on one of the remaining three ships?

I hope you have a great time no matter which option you choose I am sure it will all turn out for the best.:)

Going on the fact that they are offering passengers another comparable cruise from their advertised itineraries OR a refund, I don't think there will be a replacement ship for the Pacific Sun in the near future. :):)

I still like the Pacific Sun and will be sorry to see her go.

Your not missing out on anything. If you have been with Royal Caribbean then your guaranteed that the ships you have been on are 100 times better than this piece of scrap metal that is finally going. The sooner the better in my opinion. P&O absolutely shafted Newcastle with this floating piece of trash.

My grandparents were on one sailing of this ship and had sewage and scum invade their cabin from the drains in the bathroom. The ship was crap and a slime infested dank hole. My grandparents have been on Aurora, Star Princess, Sapphire Princess, Island Princess, Sun Princess and Diamond Princess. They are the type of people that when they go out they enjoy it at a RSL club or bowling club. They have reasonable expectations. They loved Princess and their description of Pacific Sun is too graphic to print! They will not be going back to P&O Australia again.

Sutho

all ships have problems from time to time and many of those problems such as overflowing toilets etc are caused by passengers who throw the wrong thing down the toilet. I too suffered from this "issue" in my cabin but not on the Sun. While it's annoying, and probably upsetting too - it could be worse.

I too have cruised on various Princess ships, but I love the Sun for what she is - she doesn't pretend to be anything but a basic ship but IMHO, the atmosphere was great on her. Sure there were a few points that no-one really liked such as the cramped buffet area, no decks so you could walk around the ship as per say the Diamond Princess on the Promenade deck, but IMO, the food, the crew and the shows were the same as other P&O ships ... IMO you could do a lot worse than sail on the Sun.

I will not be sailing on P&O it was to be our first ever cruise and wanted to cruise to Indonesia so flying from Melbourne to Perth to cruise. Well P&O you have ruined our anniversay. Have all the other cruise line books from the travel agent looking to cruise elsewhere different time

I will not be sailing on P&O it was to be our first ever cruise and wanted to cruise to Indonesia so flying from Melbourne to Perth to cruise. Well P&O you have ruined our anniversay. Have all the other cruise line books from the travel agent looking to cruise elsewhere different time

230 days notice is pretty reasonable... They spoilt your anniversary ?? really :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of your cancelled cruise Tim.

I suppose a lot of people had been waiting for this kind of news regarding Pacific Sun and I thought it was going to occur soon due to the fact that they had no Pacific Sun cruises listed in their P&O Sailaway mag which came out last week.

Did they mention any replacement vessel in their email or were the alternate cruises just offered on one of the remaining three ships?

I hope you have a great time no matter which option you choose I am sure it will all turn out for the best.:)

No mention of a replacement in the letters about cancelled cruises (we had one too), but that's because the letters were solely about cancellation, giving options on what to do, and what we would be offered.

Howver the messages on Facebook said they were reveiwing their options for a replacement.

230 days notice is pretty reasonable... They spoilt your anniversary ?? really :rolleyes:
OMG! We were totally planning on going on Pacific Sun so I could propose to my partner...but now we can't! P&O have ruined our relationship now! It's over! I hate P&O!! :D ;) BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

OMG! We were totally planning on going on Pacific Sun so I could propose to my partner...but now we can't! P&O have ruined our relationship now! It's over! I hate P&O!! :D ;) BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Yeah I have cruised twice on the Sun, loved her. Loved the Sky too - kill me now! Thought I would work my way up the luxury ladder as I get older ;)

Of course was planning on taking my girls (now 18 & 20, had their second cruise on the Sun) on a Christmas Cruise in 2012 on, you guessed it, the Sun.

Guess that means there will be no Christmas next year, P&O's fault!

Maybe not :D

Yeah I have cruised twice on the Sun, loved her. Loved the Sky too - kill me now! Thought I would work my way up the luxury ladder as I get older ;)

Of course was planning on taking my girls (now 18 & 20, had their second cruise on the Sun) on a Christmas Cruise in 2012 on, you guessed it, the Sun.

Guess that means there will be no Christmas next year, P&O's fault!

Maybe not :D

Hehehe! Some of the things people are trotting out on P&O's facebook page are ridiculous (almost as absurd, if not more, as our posts). I get that people's holiday's have changed, but they've given a least 6 months notice.

I understand the frustration, especially from first-time cruisers.

Me? Just happy to be cruising, anywhere, anytime, with no cooking or cleaning to do for a defined period :p It's the ruise not the destinations that matters for me.

Taken lots of o/s trips in between cruises, as I get older the cruises get closer together and the flights further apart. Hope to start back-to-backing in the not too distant future. Call me common but I love the atmosphere on P&O & loved the Sun. Of course I am planning my first Carnival cruise for 2013 so don't quote me in perpetuity :)

I can only assume this is a troll comment, you are ripping on the Sun and haven't even been on it yourself...

As someone who has travelled with your so beloved Royal Caribbean, I would hands down choose Pacific Sun over them anyday- better food,better entertainment and friendlier staff! I have actually cruised on both the Pacific Sun and Rhapsody of the Seas and while the Sun doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Rhapsody does as a ship it still managed to provide a heaps better overall cruise experience in my opinion.

Sewerage issues are an issue that occurs on all cruise ships and is the result of an ignorant passenger that does not follow instructions for what can and can't go down the loo.

As for the OP, I can see how you are dissapointed but it doesn't seem like you got such a bad deal, South Pacific is beautiful and they have given you plenty of notice.

Agree with you 100% :).

I think you will just have to ignore Sutho. He has made his opinion very clear - and just in case nobody is listening to him, or worse still, disagreeing with him, he has to become more and more strident.

His opinion is of course based not on personal experience - but anecdotes from his grandmother and perhaps others.

I also have anecdotes from people who live in Newcastle , who have enjoyed their cruising on Pacific Sun out of Newcastle.

Personally, if Pacific Sun is to be replaced by ships like Carnival Spirit - with it's mini-golf course and slippery slide, I would prefer the Sun.

Barry

Barry, I don't think some of the younger cruisers understand our real love of the sea and ships and how adventurous it used to be............no, I can't explain it. We've either got it or we haven't. :) :D But.... I have learned over the years not to be swayed by anyone else's opinions. :rolleyes:

Archived