Need a spot on Glory 11-18

Livingonaprayer

Hi Everyone. My family is hoping for a small miracle. My grandfather passed away this past Sunday and my extended family was supposed to be leaving on Carnival Glory on 11/18. We are trying to find a way to get my 90 year old grandmother (my grandfather's primary caregiver) on board for her first cruise! My TA is already searching daily and I have added her to the wait list for a cabin. I'm looking for any other advice on how to get her on board. We are currently trying to decide who would stay home if we can't figure out anything else. She has an airline ticket and got her birth certificate and passport (while planning the funeral). We'd prefer her to not be home alone since she just lost her partner of 66 years. Please HELP!!! Any advice appreciated!

Hi Everyone. My family is hoping for a small miracle. My grandfather passed away this past Sunday and my extended family was supposed to be leaving on Carnival Glory on 11/18. We are trying to find a way to get my 90 year old grandmother (my grandfather's primary caregiver) on board for her first cruise! My TA is already searching daily and I have added her to the wait list for a cabin. I'm looking for any other advice on how to get her on board. We are currently trying to decide who would stay home if we can't figure out anything else. She has an airline ticket and got her birth certificate and passport (while planning the funeral). We'd prefer her to not be home alone since she just lost her partner of 66 years. Please HELP!!! Any advice appreciated!

Does she need to have her own cabin? Possibly she could be added to one of the other reservations?

Unless someone has a cabin that is rated for one additional person that she can be added to, but even then if the ship has met it's capacity, then that won't work. I wouldn't plan on her taking someone's place with this short of notice as depending on the rate the cabins were booked under, name changes may not be allowed.

Short of someone canceling, as far as I know, you've done all you can do. I would ask the TA if it's even possible to switch names. If not, she just bought an airline ticket for nothing if a cabin doesn't open up. Oh, and if she can get a cabin and go solo, she will need to pay for 2 people. Sorry for the whole situation. That's a whole lot of stress!

Sorry for your loss..is there any way that instead of someone being left behind at home and ur grandmother being alone that she and someone can just stay at a hotel and enjoy ur homeport?? That way airline ticket isnt wasted and she gets to get away for awhile..someone would have to no show on the cruise....

Sorry for your loss but I have to ask...does SHE actually want to go at this point or is she just going along with everyone? She is probably still in the numb/shock stage, his passing so fresh and being together 66 yrs, being 90 as well as her first cruise, not ideal combination of events in such a short period of time,

You will have to take into consideration and be prepared for things like just walking (she is 90 and def not steady on her feet) with ship movement or possible rocky seas, once she starts coming out of the fog of his passing and the funeral planning etc. she have uncontrollable emotions and want/need familiar surroundings, she may have medical needs on the ship due to her grief or age and could suffer from motion sickness at the least (you dont know) or anxiety once she starts to come through the fog of his passing.

I realize your family thinks it will do her good and you all dont want to leave her alone (and you should not leave her alone) but my husband works in medical field and deals with the elderly a lot, they are not typically in the right frame of mind to make decisions after a loss like this and keeping them in comfortable, familiar surroundings where they can let the grief come is generally a more conducive environment to their emotional state. So many strangers on the ship, noise, crowds, different foods, different bed, rocking ship, emotional stress of losing her husband....

Hopefully someone in the family purchased travel insurance that covers a death in the family and they will get their cruise money back (or most of it)...someone will more than likely need to stay home with her and it will probably turn out to be better for her in the long run under the circumstances...sorry again for your loss...

First off, condolences on the loss of your grandfather. If you are looking to put her alone in a cabin, I am not sure that is such a great idea, being she is 90, and probably mourning as your grandfather's death was so recent. Unless someone "splits off" from their cabin if one even opens, or you place her in one of the already booked cabins - if that is even possible, as the ship looks sold out and capacity may be reached on cabin berths - her being alone in a cabin, even with extended family around, may leave too much time "alone" - especially at night. I hope things work out - keep this thread updated if a solution arises.

Most older folks are prepared for the loss of a spouse.....especially, if the deceased was ill for some time. Of course it hurts, and you miss them, but not ALL who are left behind are in emotional distress. I'm sure she is looking forward to going, if she went to the trouble of getting necessary documents to travel!

I hope a spot opens up for her.

Sorry for your family's loss, however I'm confused why you went ahead and purchased her airline ticket before you knew for sure that she could join you on this cruise?

Sorry about your grandmother's and your families loss. Many previous posters have brought up some very good thoughts....but only you and your family know whats best for your grandmother at this point in time.

I'm pretty confident a "no show" will happen.Even if its not until cruise day.However the uncertainty could be very stressful to everyone especially your grandmother. Additionally in the unlikely event a opening does not come about.... Your grandmother will be in Miami and then another family decision is needed and quickly which will impact someone.

Since you already have her waitlisted.... Carnival is aware of this so you can pretty much wait to the end. If it was me.... I would place a mid-week deadline on making a decision. If no openings occur by Wednesday.... This is when I would start planning plan B relating to your grandmothers care and/or who would stay behind.

I hope everything works out for your family and grandmother.