Scenic Eclipse

russg140

Certainly looks like a ship going nowhere anytime soon.

Even if they should start work on it again, the workforce will be all second rate, as all the good people will have moved on. So what about the crew, I'm sure they would also be looking for other work by now.

Has the CEO of Scenic shown any concern for anyone!!!!!!!

If he has, he certainly has not advertised it.

Boy, that sure looks like our shop. This is not good news. The politics are really screwing things up.

[emoji30]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

I don't think this looks like the ship. It is much too small. I relooked at photos of the Eclipse and it is very long. That being said, this is of great concern that Scenic is not giving any updates. If the first sailings are in January, that is only a few months away. There would need to be significant progress by now. On the Scenic website there is a "diary" that is not being updated: https://www.scenic.com.au/eclipse/diary

82-fa7f4b9b179cb.thumb.jpg.441b949aae29f2284db5696f4e314e7e.jpg

It is hard to tell but it could be the Eclipse. The angle of the photo is deceiving as it makes the hull look shorter. But the number of decks is the same as the Eclipse and the overall look of the ship being constructed looks very similar. Of course we don't know when the photo was taken.

All of this speculation and negative publicity (over 22,000 views on this thread alone), could be alleviated if Scenic would just do the right thing and let its clients, and the general public, know where things are at. As another poster has correctly pointed out, the construction diary on the Scenic website hasn't been updated for many months. Meanwhile, as far as I am aware, Scenic continues to take bookings for the Eclipse.

If the shipyard (Uljanik) is sent into bankruptcy and the Eclipse is caught up in that process, then it could be a very long time before the ship sees the light of day, if ever.

In fact it could also push Scenic into a very tight situation, and I certainly do not want to even think about that, as we could all lose a lot of money!!!

Just maybe, that is why we are not hearing anything directly from Scenic about the current situation?

The big question is, will the EU be willing to bail out a private Company that has already received huge funds from the government. And all that is to prop up a facility that is old and inefficient.

Only time will tell, but then that may not help Scenic.

I think this is the most worrying point in that if the shipyard goes into receivership then anything within that shipyard specifically to us Scenic Eclipse will be the property of the liquidators!!!!

Floris, we were offered a big discount to book the cruise you are considering and opted out. The worry after our September crossing was canceled and lack of communication on the part of Scenic cured us of wanting to travel with them. Just my 2 cents, since you asked.

We are considering booking the March 2019 Buenos Aires to Tenerife sailing and are wondering whether this is a good idea given the current situation... Thoughts and advice very much appreciated!

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Floris,

I would be very careful about booking the Eclipse for March next year. There have been significant problems at the shipyard and no-one (except Scenic) really knows what stage the ship construction is at. That concern is compounded because Scenic is not updating its website or communicating with clients/prospective clients on the facts around the construction delays. The other issue is that Scenic has a non refundable deposit policy (at least in Australia, I assume elsewhere), so once you pay, you are locked in. A trip in March next year requires planning for flights, accommodation etc now. If there are further delays to the Eclipse I guess Scenic would adopt an approach similar to the current one - a refund of deposit and "reasonable" associated expenses (mind you, I didn't get back all my reasonable expenses, so don't depend on that). I wouldn't knowingly go into a booking, unsure that it will proceed. Hold off and wait to see what happens. There are so many other choices out there. Book something you know will go ahead and wait to see what becomes of this troubled situation.

Thank you both for the advice Sharon and Kirby, very much appreciated! Our travel agent is dealing directly with Scenic Australia, trying to get additional information out of them, but no luck so far. I think I’ll hold off for now, despite the very tempting offers for the crossing...

All is not looking good!!!!

There is still no update from Mr Moroney to passengers already booked on the Eclipse, as to current fit-out status of the ship. I certainly think that shows a total lack of respect and concern by Scenic for its many committed customers.

The ship will need to be fully fitted out and on the water in December, given the fact that it's first cruise is to Antarctica, from Ushuaia in January. A good deal of time is needed, just to undergo the necessary trials and final maritime approvals, which will no doubt happen in the Mediterranean. Of course that's not to mention all the training of staff and crew required on a fully operational ship, one that is quite unique.

Interestingly that will have to happen right in the middle of the Christmas holiday season, not a good time to get things done either properly or quickly.

So, come on Scenic how about an official update good or bad, just for the most important resource you have, paying passengers .

• Like 1

Thank you both for the advice Sharon and Kirby, very much appreciated! Our travel agent is dealing directly with Scenic Australia, trying to get additional information out of them, but no luck so far. I think I’ll hold off for now, despite the very tempting offers for the crossing...

I was told by Scenic Australia that everything was on track for the "on time" delivery of the Eclipse. Two weeks later I received formal notification of the current 5 month delay! So very sorry to say, but take what Scenic says with a grain of salt. Until they post photos of the construction progress on their website, I won't be convinced. Why start a "construction diary" and not update it if everything is back on track for guests at the end of January?

I just received this from my TA.

Good afternoon Elaine,

I received a call from Karl at Scenic Cruises, he is in the Boston office and is following up with me regarding your email to the Australia office. He indicated when a reservation is made with a travel agency their policy is to communicate with the Travel Agent and not the guest.

At any rate, I have been told the ship will be completed the end of November, she will spend the month of December sailing around Croatia then on to South America for her maiden voyage 1/28/19 until 3/22/19 and then head to Tenerife.

They do not send out information in advance on the shore excursions, I have attached the daily itinerary I was sent by Karl. Each day lists the shore excursions to choose from. Most of the excursions are selected once you are onboard, there are a few optional tours that can be reserved in advance online through the cruise personalizer where you completed the guest registration.

I hope this information helps and puts your mind at ease a little bit. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Warm regards,

Donna

I just received this from my TA.

Good afternoon Elaine,

I received a call from Karl at Scenic Cruises, he is in the Boston office and is following up with me regarding your email to the Australia office. He indicated when a reservation is made with a travel agency their policy is to communicate with the Travel Agent and not the guest.

At any rate, I have been told the ship will be completed the end of November, she will spend the month of December sailing around Croatia then on to South America for her maiden voyage 1/28/19 until 3/22/19 and then head to Tenerife.

They do not send out information in advance on the shore excursions, I have attached the daily itinerary I was sent by Karl. Each day lists the shore excursions to choose from. Most of the excursions are selected once you are onboard, there are a few optional tours that can be reserved in advance online through the cruise personalizer where you completed the guest registration.

I hope this information helps and puts your mind at ease a little bit. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Warm regards,

Donna

Thanks for posting this. Sounds encouraging.

Is it just me? That photo does not look very promising. It looks like it is far from being completed. Can't see how it can be completed by the end of November!

Very tough to say from this photo. It takes only 3 days to paint the entire exterior of a large cruise ship, so she can look shiny and white quite quickly. It’s the inside that will determine whether she’s nearly finished or not...

fb97f67af1a4b33f246429efb49fe27f.jpg

I was just sent this “recent” photo by Scenic.

Floris

This will be a beautiful ship! Hope it works out for those booked on the early itineraries. Fingers crossed for you all. I am booked on the new RC ship that is also under construction and launching early 2020 and after reading this thread I will keep a close watch on RC progress.