Med cruise - questions re Venice hotel and Barcelona transfer

The Odd Couple

Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza Venice East? I see they are offering a "cruise package" of transfer from Marco Polo, breakfast etc. Presumably, transfer to the port is an add-on. Has anyone done this? I have read the best way to transfer from Barcelona cruise port to airport is by taxi. Any recommendations in this case? Thanks for your advice.

Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza Venice East? I see they are offering a "cruise package" of transfer from Marco Polo, breakfast etc. Presumably, transfer to the port is an add-on. Has anyone done this? I have read the best way to transfer from Barcelona cruise port to airport is by taxi. Any recommendations in this case? Thanks for your advice.

It depends if you want a hotel that's actually in Venice, rather than on the mainland. Prices will be cheaper but not the same atmosphere.

Looking at the map, It's nowhere near Venice. No wonder it's so inexpensive. If you want to tour Venice, you will be very disappointed. You want to be able to walk out your door and be IN Venice. EM

We've been to Venice several times before, so only really want an overnight hotel close to the cruise port which provides minimum fuss for transfers.

In that case, the Crown Plaza looks like a good deal. Have you got the details of their shuttle to the cruise terminal?

I agree about Barcelona. Taxis right outside the terminal building will get you to the airport in about 20 minutes.

Barcelona taxis are plentiful at the Cruise port. There may be a queue but there are huge lines of taxis waiting and it moves quick. Set price of €39 per taxi to/from airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having stayed in Venice hotels several times, we're not bothered about sightseeing this time. When we got our invoice from Celebrity, they want to charge us for flights well over double that which I can price up independently, so we thought we would make our own arrangements this year, What we would save on the flights would more than pay for a night in a hotel and all the transfers.

We almost did that cruise package last year but ended up going with the Hilton Garden Inn instead because it was closer to Venice for exploring. We used their free airport shuttle to the hotel and then a taxi to get into Venice. I believe the taxi was about 20 Euros.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have stayed there, and have booked it again for this year. I have, however been to Venice many times over the decades and so it was not a priority to actually stay in the centre.

One of the good things about that hotel is that there is a railway station right at the back of it (maybe 100 yard walk), with trains that run to Santa Lucia station, right next to the Grand Canal. They sell return tickets at the front desk and when I was last there a few years ago, it was 6 euros for a return trip.

The airport pick up and shuttle to the port the next day also worked well. The shuttle to the port was included if you buy the package, and they used a proper bus when we used it, which was maybe two-thirds full of folk heading for the cruise terminal.

Edited by mrsgoggins
Extra info

I have stayed there, and have booked it again for this year. I have, however been to Venice many times over the decades and so it was not a priority to actually stay in the centre.

One of the good things about that hotel is that there is a railway station right at the back of it (maybe 100 yard walk), with trains that run to Santa Lucia station, right next to the Grand Canal. They sell return tickets at the front desk and when I was last there a few years ago, it was 6 euros for a return trip.

The airport pick up and shuttle to the port the next day also worked well. The shuttle to the port was included if you buy the package, and they used a proper bus when we used it, which was maybe two-thirds full of folk heading for the cruise terminal.

Thanks very much for your recommendation. It's good to know the cruise package worked as I have read elsewhere that it hasn't been a good experience for some others.