A First-Timer Regent Review (aka Mimito4 has fallen hard for Regent)

mimito4

PCB (post cruise blues) is abating, so I can finally sit back and attempt to objectively take a look at our Regent Navigator Alaskan adventure.

I say adventure, because I find every vacation, every trip, every cruise an adventure. I go into each one with anticipation and child-like excitement. I also go into these adventures with expectations. Like everyone, my expectations are associated with my life experiences, attitude, background, lifestyle, culture. . .many things.

Before I go a step further, let me say that Regent exceeded my expectations.

Period. I could stop here, but then, it wouldn’t be much of a review, would it?

I wish I could drag my suitcase out again and start packing. If money were no object, and family issues weren’t as they were, I’d be waving to everyone from the deck this minute. I’d take my daughter back to Barcelona, where we spent a week, just the two of us, a decade ago. Ahhh, PCB is hard to shake.

First, I feel the need to gain credibility with you readers, and so I do so by telling you a bit about my cruise history. My first cruise was oh, about 20 years ago with Premier Cruise Lines—the Big Red Boat (the precursor to Disney). I can’t remember much about it other than it brought my then 3 year old bonus child much joy. I know it wasn’t luxury by any means, but we did have fun.

Our second cruise was sometime in the late 90s with Renaissance in the Mediterranean, and it was on one of their very smallest ships (this held less than 100 passengers, so not the ones Azamara took over). It was glorious, a small, yacht-like experience, the highlight of which was sailing through the Corinth Canal where we could almost reach out and touch the sides. We loved it.

I won’t bore you with each particular cruise we took thereafter, but I can tell you that I’ve cruised enough to be a fairly competent evaluator. Let’s see, in addition to the ones I’ve mentioned, there has been Carnival, Celebrity, Crystal, Disney, HAL, NCL, Royal Caribbean, SeaDream Yacht Club, and a small line in the Galapagos Islands. We have cruised in outside, inside, balcony and we even treated ourselves to a suite once. We cruised in an Owner’s Suite on Royal Caribbean when we took our children and grandchildren to celebrate a milestone. That doesn’t stand out as anything particularly special. . .the only thing that comes to mind was being aggravated at my just turned 18 year old son (the same one we took on our first cruise), for drinking (a lot) in the concierge lounge and not being polite. In just the last 11 months, I gleefully sailed on Celebrity, SeaDream, Carnival, and finally. . .drum roll, Regent! The range in cost was amazing, but then again, the range in experience was amazing.

Some of our cruises have been better than others. . .by far, but quite frankly, they were all good, each in their own way, either because of the great deal, the weather, the itinerary or, the luxury of basking in all the luxury of Crystal, SeaDream or Regent.

I am a very lucky woman.

I tell you all these things, not to brag (sadly due to family and economic issues those days are coming to an end), but just so you know that I am objective . . . as objective as a woman suffering from PCB can be.

After reading my glowing review you may think that I suffer from rose-colored glasses syndrome. Believe me when I tell you that couldn’t be further from the truth. Many of you whom I have befriended through cruising, through e-mailing, through laughter, and even disagreement on these discussion boards, know of how heartbroken Don and I were 2 years ago when we received the shocking news that our youngest daughter had a very malignant, inoperable brain tumor. Fortunately, she’s doing great at the moment, but her prognosis is devastating.

She is a doll. Her approach to life has always taught us about hope and grace, and that is even more true these days. Would that I could be so enthusiastic about every little thing, let alone when facing such bleakness.

I tell you this, not to have you comment about it or even let it intrude in your life for a second, but to tell you that life changed forever more when that landed in our family’s lap. Quite frankly we don’t plan very far ahead anymore, and unlike in the past, we now always buy travel insurance. It should be particularly noted that we planned this trip over a year ahead, nervous though we were at the time. It was the first time in a year that we “felt alright” about thinking more than a day ahead.

The point is, not that I ever really did, but nowadays, I NEVER go looking for issues or trouble. Instead, I pinch myself everyday and remind myself that I am alive. . .that my daughter is alive. . .and that I am gifted with a life filled with family, friendship, love and joy. And I never have to go bed hungry.

Bottom line, perhaps all this makes a difference in the way I approach adventures. If so, then go ahead and diagnosis me with that rose-colored glass syndrome. I wouldn’t blame you if you did.

So. . .after that long disclaimer, let me say that Regent has won my heart.

In fact, I’m downright giddy about my experience with Regent.

Alaska is one of Mother Nature’s finest accomplishments. Here are my photos. And since I’ve already told that story in my onboard CC blogging, I’ll stick to the actual cruise experience in this review.

I should also note that I religiously crunch numbers when it comes to booking a vacation, and they have to work for me. We had originally booked Crystal (which we love also, btw), for an almost identical itinerary, but when I started working the numbers, Regent showed up as being about $500 less. This was true even after factoring in Crystal’s As You Wish Ship-board credit ( Crystal is currently not all inclusive, but that will be changing), so therefore, when allowing for the (much) larger standard stateroom, all drinks and excursions, and our desire for a less formal experience, well, bingo. I couldn’t dial our TA fast enough. I’m rational and penny-pinching like that.

We stayed in a category E suite, deck 6 mid-ship, and loved the location. It was so easy to take a few steps in the morning to grab that ever-perfect double shot cappuccino in the Navigator Lounge.

Thanks to the good advice from Regenters here on CC, we paid extra to be in category E in order to avoid the dreaded aft vibration. That was good advice. I know that the vibration was LARGE and obvious in Galileo’s (although after 2 Bombay Sapphire martinis, it was no bother whatsoever), and so being a light sleeper, I probably would have been bothered with an aft suite.

Oops, sounds like I’m starting out complaining. Oh well, since I jumped in this side of the pool, might as well get to the other side.

Food. Ah, that subjective topic. Over all, we thought the food was very, very good. Never had a bad dinner in Compass Rose. Never had a bad lunch or breakfast there either, for that matter. Service was always charming, albeit a bit slow at times. Don and I never minded the pace—it was obvious that the staff was working as hard as they could--but once we ate with another couple who was anxious to get to the show, and they were a bit annoyed. THEY affected our experience far more than the slow service.

My advice to any new-to-Regent cruiser is to find a server you like as soon as possible, and ask for him each time. It’s kind of the way a mass cruiser might have of duplicating the getting to know you, and therefore good service (at least perceived) that comes from sitting at the same table each night.

Couldn’t go wrong with a burger poolside. . .the best on any ship, in my opinion. Served with sweet potato fries, well. . .yum! Also, I loved the soup in every venue on the ship, hot, cold, didn’t matter. And the salt bread sticks? My goodness. . .to die for!

Prime 7 was the only big let-down for me regarding food, although the service was good. We dined there twice. The first time was with another couple. I ordered surf and turf, and quite frankly, the steak was so salty that it was inedible . . .and I love salt! Had I been very hungry, I would have sent it back, and I really never do that. Actually, everything seemed “over-salted,” and my husband and table-mates agreed. The second time we went, I made a point of saying “no salt” on my steak, thinking this was the way to give them a second chance. Unfortunately, they must have felt that left them with no choice for seasoning because then everything was relatively tasteless. Too bad there was not an in-between. Btw, the server told us on our second visit before we ordered that there had been other complaints about the salt, and it had been “corrected.”

And finally, I’m swimming fast to get to the other side, in the “dumb rules” category, I only experienced one. My advice to Regent is to empower the crew to disobey dumb rules. Every. Single. Time.

One night we, along with two other couples, stayed a bit late in Galileo’s. Not real late, mind you, after all, did you see our pictures? Just late enough that food was only available via room service. Not knowing this, nor caring, I suppose, I asked our server if we could get some pizza to nibble on. It was obvious he tried every way in his mind to work it, but finally after some discussion with me, just said I would have to get it through room service. Bless his heart, he even called and ordered it for me. . .to be delivered to my suite. . .are you following me. . .not to Galileo’s ‘cause that wasn’t possible.

No problem, I understand rules, don’t agree with dumb rules, but it wasn’t his rule. I easily went down to the suite to get it. . .took it from the room service waiter, and to his astonishment, and to everyone’s I passed, I smiled, lifted it up to my shoulder like a professional, and took it up to Galileo’s. No biggie for me. But it shouldn’t have been that way. Agree?

Whew, now I’m on the side I want to be on, so I can reveal the true and memorable Regent experience.

Our excursions as a whole were very good. Some were less so due to weather, but to whom do I complain? The excursion staff was great. The excursions were handled efficiently, no waiting or lining up at all. We were wait-listed for two included excursions and they both cleared, so I think that happens more than not. In other words, fear not.

Wine service was exemplary. It’s one thing to have included wines, and pour only table wines. . .this my friends, was an entirely different situation. The wines we were served were all good wines, at least they met our standards. A few times I asked for something different after being allowed to sample the wine they were pouring at the time. The request was quickly obliged, and even suggested. We only purchased wine one night and that was for our anniversary dinner. Even then it wasn’t that we felt it was necessary. . .just that, well, we felt we should spring for something for our anniversary. Silly, eh (I must have picked that up in Canada)? Never once did we feel pressure to purchase wines from the reserve list.

Our glasses were never even half-empty (couldn’t resist). This was true for water glasses, wine glasses, and cocktail glasses. I found myself waving those pouring people away. . .well, perhaps I’m exaggerating. I didn’t wave them away often.

Regarding entertainment, we didn’t go to every show in the evening, but when we did, we were very pleased. Thought the comedian’s talent exceeded his being stuck with a gig on a ship—very, very funny! The Krew Kapers performance was awesome. . .not the least bit cheesy because it was performed with such heart.

Loved Ray, the cruise director. He’s got it all down. And Terry Breen, as the onboard naturalist? Well, Regent must know that she is a treasure because she has been with them for years. Can’t say enough good things about her and the enhancement she provided for the itinerary.

We found fellow passengers to be fun, interesting and congenial. We particularly had a great time with a few (again, see my onboard thread). I loved the relaxed, yet elegant dress code. I found that people dressed just perfectly for dinner, not stuffy, but never sloppy either. We found it to be just right for the itinerary. Heck, we found it to be just right for our current lifestyle.

Our suite was downright divine. No wonder Regent always wins the awards for stateroom categories on Travel & Leisure and Conde Naste Traveler. Duh. Large. Walk-in closet. Great bathroom. I can’t tell you the number of times I took a delicious nap curled up on the bed, wrapped in the cozy wool throw while Don was reading on the sofa.

Again, service was great in the suite as well as everywhere on the ship. Our steward Clive was extremely attentive, and each time we had room service, we felt very important. The little portable table kept behind the sofa is quite handy, and so even room service was served as though we were in a fancy hotel or restaurant.

We had a bottle of Glenlivet, my husband’s drink of choice, waiting for us in the suite when we arrived, and within a couple of hours, my requested bottle of Bombay Sapphire showed up. I’m still at a loss as to why Clive knocked on the door on day 2 or 3 with a bottle of B & B. The only time that was mentioned was tongue-in-cheek on Regent’s CC discussion board. I can only surmise someone was paying attention, and it was a case of “why did the little lamb love Mary?”

Which reminds me. . .why did the little lamb love Mary? Well, at the risk of discounting your memory and/or intelligence, it was because Mary loved the little lamb. That simple.

Indulge me for a brief soapbox interlude, please. When we travel, we generally find great service everywhere, not every time, but most times. Don and I enjoy engaging people and we never miss an opportunity to thank people sincerely for their efforts and hard work. I try to remember service people’s names and use their names when I see them. . .I mean genuinely use their name. After all, they seem to go to the trouble to remember lots of customers’ names, so would it trouble me to remember a few of theirs?

We found that every time we threw a great big glad-to-see-you smile at Eduardo, Yuri, Alberto, Mara, Daniella, etc., etc. we got it back, ear to ear.

I could go on and on, but I won’t. Aren’t you glad?

I could say much more about the crew, but rather than be repetitious in this already too long review, I would direct you to the comments I’ve already made about the crew beginning with post #173 as I was posting live from the ship.

Not to discount anyone’s experience, because it was what it was for that person, but honestly, when I have read negative reviews about the Navigator, I can’t help but assume it had to do with the time of year (kids on board), itinerary, something, anything other than individual crew members or Regent or the ship. I’m simply baffled.

Our experience was luxurious, as it should have been for the cost, and the little things were made even bigger by the crew and the overall experience.

Would I sail Regent again?

In a heart beat. Send me a lottery ticket. Maybe this once I’ll get lucky. ;)

One word, WOW.

And, if you really want to cruise Regent again, just submit some of your on-board posts and this review to a Cruise Magazine and you should be able to cruise free for life!!!!

Thanks for wonderful reading and the sad realization that our next Regent cruise is about 6 months away.

Thanks again,

Dave

T, bravo, the delight, passion don and u now have for Regent pops right off the page. Thank you...and special thanks for sharing your families very personal story of Jennifer's tumor. Very special and as you know well, very personal prayers & well wishes for Jennifer's continued health.

Your review was indeed a joy to read. Just one suggestion (no -- not a negative one:-) Do a copy and paste of your review and post it under the "Review" section of CruiseCritic. While the wonderful review you just completed will eventually disappear into the land of old posts on the Regent thread, it will live forever in the Review section.

Teresa, I loved reading your review as I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts from the ship and viewing each and every of your outstanding photos.

I always think one will get more out of anything they do with the glass is half full approach. As we have aged, we have realized that life is very short and to just enjoy each day and that includes each cruise so Anne Marie and I share the thoughts you have expressed throughout your review.

I knew when we met you and Don that we had several things in common. Although my first cruise was as a young teenager on a cruise lines (Home Lines) that ceased operations many years ago, our first family cruise and Anne Marie's first was also the Big Red Boat.

Welcome home and our prayers continue to go out to Jennifer and your entire family.

Thanks for taking us along on your voyage.

Keith

I love the reviews which concentrate on the ship rather than the ports and this was a great example of one. It was so thorough it left no room for questions!

Every so often a contributor comes in fresh to Regent's board and adds a whole new dimension and insight to our experiences. Recently "Sailor Jack" was one such and now we have another in mimito4.

Congrats to you for all of your interesting posts, mimito4, and I hope you stick around for a long time.

T, thanks for all your posts and your review. Your zest for life, your love of family and travel burst through your words. Your gifts are so appreciated!

I am printing your review so that my husband can read it -- he is still dragging his heels about making the final commitment to our first Regent cruise (which as you can see from the sig line, I am assuming we will take!)

We will pray for Jennifer and for you. And since you are not so very far from us (in Champaign, IL) perhaps we can have a land-locked martini together someday!

Donna

PS I think it was very clever of you to get a younger woman to pretend to be you in all the photos. I mean, no way are those photos of a grandmother!!!! (Spoken as a grandma myself)

I clicked on your review because we are contemplating taking our first Regent cruise and must decide by Monday. I had goosebumps B4 I got to the review part. Your love of life and cup 3/4 full view is wonderful. Your review gave me a feeling of how great it's going to be on our first Regent cruise! Thanks for taking the time. And may you start packing your bag again soon!

Crikey...

How often do you read a review that leaves you:

~ disappointed you have got to the end of the post

~ believing that this person must / should surely be a professional writer

~ with a lump in your throat

~ with a sense of real anxiety that your next Regent cruise does not start tomorrow (even if your Oceania one does!)

~ that, having reviewed the photos too, leaves a firm resolution to 'do' Alaska

~ a reminder of how much more rewarding it is to look for the up-side / the good in everything

~ a bit humbled....

thanks, Teresa

Wow. Just wow. I am the one who is humbled. In fact, I sit here with a big grin, and even a little tear after reading your very kind comments.

I typically write a little review of some sort for every cruise, but I've only posted on the discussion board of that particular line. I've never posted an "official" review in the review section.

I also never get so personal, but the Regent group here on CC is a small, family-like group (one that fights a lot ;)), and well, I was off and running last night. Thanks for indulging me.

So, thanks to your suggestions, TC2 and Host Dan, I did indeed just post this on the official review area of CC, with a few edits. Seems that it takes a few days to show up.

And darn it, here's one more picture from our adventure. I kept trying and trying to upload this particular one while we were onboard, and for some reason I kept getting an error report.

So, here is the picture of the shelf above the desk in our lowly category E suite. There was no extra charge for this shelf. Zero. Nada.

Alaskancruise2011276.jpg

It also shows that Regent does indeed (at least now) use official champagne, rather than sparkling wine (at least what they place in the suites for embarkation). It also rather loudly shouts:

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT REGENT?

Dear Teresa. Life handed you a whole crate of lemons and you chose to make lemon meringue pie (don't like lemonade). You are such an inspiration for living one day at a time and looking forward to the future no matter what it may be. I have loved reading your reports and looking at your wonderful photos. I would enjoy meeting you and Don someday. Elsie

Teresa, I have enjoyed reading your reports and your review so much. Hope you will be able to sail Regent again very soon. And hope I will be on board to meet you in person. We could definitely have a lot of fun.

So sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. I will be thinking of and praying for you and her. As Elsie said, you are an inspiration.

T...thanks for the great review. As a Regent fan, I couldn't agree with you more. All the best in the future...your positive attitude will see you through, but I think you already know that. A little aside. I co-owned a business in Cinti (Blue Ash) for many years and, as a result, commuted there from Dallas every couple of months or so. You are consistent with most Queen City folks that I have met--many now close friends of course--over the years. Positive, fun and always ready for a beverage combined with good conversation! Great town. I've passed along to my business partner your remarks on Jean-Roberts Table. He'll be heading that way soon! P.S. "Who dey!?"

Teresa, just like everyone who has posted above, I thoroughly enjoyed your commentary throughout your trip (which we took two years ago and loved as much as you did). I wasn't going to post what I thought would be a redundant comment of praise, but reading the thread this evening I just had this thought: if you announce here on CC the next Regent cruise you're going on, I think you'd fill half the ship with people who would be delighted to meet you and travel with you! Couldn't think of a better compliment than that. :) (In fact, if you organize it as a group with Regent, you could probably get your cruise free! Hmmm....)

-- Eric

Loved every word of it T! Your cup is just plain full, none of this half empty stuff.......and I admire your courageous and optimistic attitude with your daughter Jennifer. We just never know as one turns from one day to the next what will happen. May she and you have many bright days ahead, and a prayer coming your way!

Archived