Halifax and Saint John

glee87

We are sailing on the Carnival Glory and will be in Saint John's on 10/10 and Halifax on 10/11. We are traveling with a bunch of our friends about 14 of us.

Planning to go to Peggy's Cove and Reversing Falls. Should we rent a car, book a tour, or find a taxi to take all of us? Looking at an inexpensive way to get around. Also, what are other places of interest we should see in Halifax and Saint John's beside what we mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

For Halifax we usually recommend renting a car to go to Peggy's Cove. However you would need two vans or three cars. There are bus tours available too.

Here is a previous post:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1676940

A Google search found these links;

http://www.yourcab.ca/

http://www.aberdeenbustours.ca/pegandhalitour.aspx

http://www.ambassatours.com/peggys-cove-sightseeing-tour

We are sailing on the Carnival Glory and will be in Saint John's on 10/10 and Halifax on 10/11. We are traveling with a bunch of our friends about 14 of us.

Planning to go to Peggy's Cove and Reversing Falls. Should we rent a car, book a tour, or find a taxi to take all of us? Looking at an inexpensive way to get around. Also, what are other places of interest we should see in Halifax and Saint John's beside what we mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

In Saint John you should not rent a car unless you plan on going to St Martins. I would not bother with Reversing Falls unless you are doing the thrill rides zip lining or jet boat ride through the rapids. I recommend exploring the old city market and exploring the historic streets of Trinity Royal nearby the ship.

TIA!

If I ever get back to Halifax, i want to see the Public Gardens and the cemetery where 125+ of the Titanic victims are buried.

We enjoyed our trip to Halifax/Peggy's Cove, we were a large group and used Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours. All the drivers stayed together and all met at the same places and all were very good tour guides. They arranged our lobster meal and it was ready when we arrived. We had a great time.

Last fall we rented cars in both Halifax and Saint John. In Halifax we spent the first couple of hours visiting the Public Gardens and walking around town. We then headed to Peggy's Cove with some stops along the way to enjoy the beautiful outdoors. We then drove up the road a couple of miles to Ryer Lobster LTD. for a very casual and cheap lobster lunch. My mouth still waters thinking about that lunch.

In Saint John we drove to St. Martin, then when we were done there we went further up the road to the Fundy Trail. Both days were fantastic and getting around was fairly simple. We reserved our rentals before we left,and I would suggest you do the same if you decide on renting cars.

Both cities offer a lot without going anywhere.:D Peggy's Cove is very nice though - if you rent a car - you should be able to have room to explore a bit of Halifax as well - Citadel Hill, the beautiful spots by the waterfront (Halifax has done a great job on this). The Titanic cemetary is definitely worth a visit - well cared for too.

Saint John (never call it Saint John's ;)) will welcome you with open arms - roses for the ladies, etc. The City Market is nice - there is also a trolley with horses that will take you around. The Jet Boat ride is a lot of fun to a lot of people - so if you are doing that - definitely go to reversing falls.

Another little tid bit - Saint John is the first incorporated city in Canada (I do believe). Halifax is very well maintained and absolutely enchanting.

With that timing you should have good fall foliage with luck:)

enjoy your cruise and welcome to the Maritimes:):) Very nice people live here and you will be welcomed and helped - just ask

Both cities offer a lot without going anywhere.:D Peggy's Cove is very nice though - if you rent a car - you should be able to have room to explore a bit of Halifax as well - Citadel Hill, the beautiful spots by the waterfront (Halifax has done a great job on this). The Titanic cemetary is definitely worth a visit - well cared for too.

Saint John (never call it Saint John's ;)) will welcome you with open arms - roses for the ladies, etc. The City Market is nice - there is also a trolley with horses that will take you around. The Jet Boat ride is a lot of fun to a lot of people - so if you are doing that - definitely go to reversing falls.

Another little tid bit - Saint John is the first incorporated city in Canada (I do believe). Halifax is very well maintained and absolutely enchanting.

With that timing you should have good fall foliage with luck:)

enjoy your cruise and welcome to the Maritimes:):) Very nice people live here and you will be welcomed and helped - just ask

I love markets. Wherever we travel, I always visit the local market. It makes me wish I had a kitchen! If I ever did a "coffee table book," it would be all my pictures of markets.

A visit to the markets in both cities would be an intersting contrast. The City market in Saint John is in an old building. There are animal heads (elk? deer?) on the wall. You can get canned Scottish Haggis or fresh lobster. The maket in Halifax, which is near the cruise dock, is in a very new modern "green" building. It's bigger than Saint John's market (possessive form, not wrong name here! :D), so more variety of vendors and more spread out.

If you go to City Market in Saint John, be sure to go up the little staircase to the balcony so you can see over the whole place. There was also a tent market right by the ship with nice crafts and souvenirs.

I love markets. Wherever we travel, I always visit the local market. It makes me wish I had a kitchen! If I ever did a "coffee table book," it would be all my pictures of markets.

A visit to the markets in both cities would be an intersting contrast. The City market in Saint John is in an old building. There are animal heads (elk? deer?) on the wall. You can get canned Scottish Haggis or fresh lobster. The maket in Halifax, which is near the cruise dock, is in a very new modern "green" building. It's bigger than Saint John's market (possessive form, not wrong name here! :D), so more variety of vendors and more spread out.

If you go to City Market in Saint John, be sure to go up the little staircase to the balcony so you can see over the whole place. There was also a tent market right by the ship with nice crafts and souvenirs.

Absolutely - comparing the two markets is very cool. The Saint John Market is over 100 years old. Lord's Lobster has fabulous lobster rolls and fresh fries:D A lot of ethnic foods and neat stuff to see.

Halifax is beautiful - bigger and nice and new. Two different experiences. Both are worth a visit.

The vendors are still there by the cruise port - and there are some nice items. Actually Saint John just welcomed its' 1 millionth cruiser a few weeks ago - those two were really treated well:)

Two old cities but very different in their own rights. Halifax has done a better job with their waterfront IMO but Saint John revels in its' history.

both worth a visit and I think you should enjoy each port.:)

Absolutely - comparing the two markets is very cool. The Saint John Market is over 100 years old. Lord's Lobster has fabulous lobster rolls and fresh fries:D A lot of ethnic foods and neat stuff to see.

Halifax is beautiful - bigger and nice and new. Two different experiences. Both are worth a visit.

The vendors are still there by the cruise port - and there are some nice items. Actually Saint John just welcomed its' 1 millionth cruiser a few weeks ago - those two were really treated well:)

Two old cities but very different in their own rights. Halifax has done a better job with their waterfront IMO but Saint John revels in its' history.

both worth a visit and I think you should enjoy each port.:)

Love that walk along the waterfront. Great maritime museum, too. The walkway in Saint John was closed when we were there (bridge construction overhead), so we didn't get a chance to see it. Next time, maybe. We did visit the General Store and saw the Moose statue. Had some local brew at a nice pub with a great view of the ship, too.

We will be in St John on 10/3. Is there somewhere to rent a van other than the airport? If not how far away is the airport from the port? 6 of us, one in a wheel chair.

Thank you in advance for any help.

AVIS on Water Street (2 blocks from cruise terminals) rents a Dodge Grand Caravan - but appears to be sold out of them on that day. Enterprise appears to have one available - they are a 15 minute walk from ship.

We just got back from a cruise visiting Halifax, NS, and Saint John, NB. In both ports, we visited attractions close to the cruise terminals on our own by foot.

The highlights of our visit to Halifax were: Old Burial Grounds (historic cemetery), Halifax Public Gardens, and Harbourwalk (boardwalk along the harbor). A detailed trip report of our day in Halifax (with photos and a map) is posted at: http://www.mydreamcametrue.com/halifax

In Saint John, we enjoyed: Imperial Theatre and Trinity Church. The trip report of our day in Saint John (with photos and a map) is at: http://www.mydreamcametrue.com/saintjohn

It is 4 city blocks from Marco Polo cruise terminal, and 6 blocks from Diamond Jubilee cruise terminal. Blocks are flat walking except last 2 are on a moderate hill. If you dock at Long Wharf, it is a 15 minute walk unless you take free shuttle to Loyalist Plaza where you walk the last 2 blocks.

To see where you are docking, visit:

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/forcruiselines/cruiseschedule.asp

It is 4 city blocks from Marco Polo cruise terminal, and 6 blocks from Diamond Jubilee cruise terminal. Blocks are flat walking except last 2 are on a moderate hill. If you dock at Long Wharf, it is a 15 minute walk unless you take free shuttle to Loyalist Plaza where you walk the last 2 blocks.

To see where you are docking, visit:

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/forcruiselines/cruiseschedule.asp

Thank you for the very helpful info. I see we will be docking at Diamond Jubilee cruise terminal, so I guess that's the longest walk.

TIA!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO glee87: I think we are going to be on the same cruise. I recommend that you book a tour with the cruise line. You have so many people that you would need several cars. Even vans you would need at least three. Going with the cruise line tour would be the best way. They have a tour to Peggy's Cove. The Reversing Falls you could see on a tour of the city of Saint John. Go in the morning though. The falls don't reverse that well in the afternoon. In Halifax go to the Nautical Museum. It is just off the Harbor Walk on Water Street. The Harbor Walk is very interesting and has a lot to see there. If you go on a tour in the morning you should leave the afternoon to go on the Harbor Walk. Halifax is a very walk able city. So is Portland.

The Reversing Falls you could see on a tour of the city of Saint John. Go in the morning though. The falls don't reverse that well in the afternoon. quote]

It changes at different times and is on a 12 hour cycle, the Moon has a lot to do with it as well.

For those of you visiting City Market in Saint John, check out the Architecture inside, the Roof was done as if they were building a Boat.

Also it's Saint John, New Brunswick. St. John's is in Newfoundland. It's a great city to visit as well.

• 3 weeks later...
AVIS on Water Street (2 blocks from cruise terminals) rents a Dodge Grand Caravan - but appears to be sold out of them on that day. Enterprise appears to have one available - they are a 15 minute walk from ship.

What is special about St. Martins? I have a choice of:

(1) stay in St. John for the day - public bus tour departs twice daily on first come basis, no reservations taken. What is the chance of getting on one of these bus tours Oct. 26?

(2) highlights of St. John in the morning (scenic drive of Historic District; Fort Howe views; stop at Reversing Falls; N.B. Museum; Old City Market) -- afternoon, St. Martins, sea cave and beach.

(3) 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tour to St. Martins ....includes Reversing Falls and sea caves & beach....on return, old city market in St. John

(4) car rental .... a very last choice

I have never been to St. John, but have been to many parts of Canada, Maine, and New England. I am comfortable as an independent traveler. What is your suggestion for an interesting day in St. John and the area?

Archived