Princess Breakfast-Brunch Idea Probably Not New But it's Time!

MTJSR

Not sure if this idea has been discussed before, but I was thinking about breakfast on Princess. I doubt I am alone, but breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. I would rather splurge at breakfast and nibble at dinner.

For me, breakfast is the weakest, least creative of all meals on the ship. The powdered scrambled eggs, oily dripping bacon, plastic coated sausage, freezer flower shaped waffles and so on. I would be first in line if there was an upgraded breakfast venue, like the Crown Grill.

Imagine a 5 star style brunch with traditional “fresh” offerings, a Jamba Juice styled menu included, maybe a bakery too and of course, table side crepes etc. As princess keeps offering longer cruises, the breakfast offerings need to get more exciting in my opinion. Any thoughts?

Edited by MTJSR

Wouldn't be a bad idea for Sabatinis, if it wasn't already used for the Suite breakfast. That said, the MDRbreakfast is much better than you dexcribe.

Not sure if this idea has been discussed before, but I was thinking about breakfast on Princess. I doubt I am alone, but breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. I would rather splurge at breakfast and nibble at dinner.

For me, breakfast is the weakest, least creative of all meals on the ship. The powdered scrambled eggs, oily dripping bacon, plastic coated sausage, freezer flower shaped waffles and so on. I would be first in line if there was an upgraded breakfast venue, like the Crown Grill.

Imagine a 5 star style brunch with traditional “fresh” offerings, a Jamba Juice styled menu included, maybe a bakery too and of course, table side crepes etc. As princess keeps offering longer cruises, the breakfast offerings need to get more exciting in my opinion. Any thoughts?

I agree, or at least have more variety in the buffet. That was my only complaint about the food in my review was that there was no variety at all and the eggs were just runny crappy eggs. I know that they have to cook for thousands of people, but I wish there was a little more into it. Even the fruit has no variety. It's too bad because I am the same as you, I love breakfast too.

Food is very subjective but I enjoy my breakfasts on Princess and wouldn't pay extra. After all, there's always the dining room if I want better quality. I could even have eggs Benedict every day if I did. All included at no extra charge.

That said, in the buffet, I enjoy getting some cottage cheese and fresh fruit, maybe a cooked-to-order omelet, some crispy bacon, maybe a well-done sausage and I'm good to go. I would never get waffles or pancakes since they don't have real maple syrup. Just maple-flavored corn syrup that tastes nothing like maple syrup. Yuck. :(

Edited by Pam in CA

I can handle breakfast in HC - there's always something I can eat. If I don't want what is available there I can always get breakfast in MDR.

I love breakfast and can get a wonderful breakfast at some restaurants in town but I really don't expect Princess to match what I can get at my favorite breakfast places.

I'm just bummed that I have to wait until May to have to "put up with" what is offered for breakfast onboad. :rolleyes:

Food is very subjective but I enjoy my breakfasts on Princess and wouldn't pay extra. After all, there's always the dining room if I want better quality. I could even have eggs Benedict every day if I did. All included at no extra charge.

That said, in the buffet, I enjoy getting some cottage cheese and fresh fruit, maybe a cooked-to-order omelet, some crispy bacon, maybe a well-done sausage and I'm good to go. I would never get waffles or pancakes since they don't have real maple syrup. Just maple-flavored corn syrup that tastes nothing like maple syrup. Yuck. :(

Thanks Pam, (and I agree there is always the dinning room), however you do see buffet items in dinning room too. Id even be happy with changes in the the buffet, cause Im not all the impressed with powered scrambled eggs, sticky plastic sausage and broken oily bacon. I go to the buffet for the view, but shouldn't have to endure mediocre food as a penalty for not eating in the dinning room. Mark

I love breakfast and can get a wonderful breakfast at some restaurants in town but I really don't expect Princess to match what I can get at my favorite breakfast places.:rolleyes:

Your neighborhood restaurant will make you a wonderful breakfast for lets say 10 dollars? and there's probably no highly skilled chefs in the kitchen. But paying maybe thousands to Princess and their 5 star chefs, you wouldn't expect as much? :D:eek:

Edited by MTJSR

I eat two a day. First breakfast is when the Horizon Court opens up because I'm up and hungry. Second breakfast is when DW gets up and we go to Sabitinis. Don't hink we would take advantage of a 5 star buffet for that meal. I've always found more than enough to suit my fancy at the buffet and would be happy there if we didn't have access to Sabitinis.

But paying maybe thousands to Princess and their 5 star chefs, you wouldn't expect as much? :D:eek:
Sorry, but have to laugh (not at you) at this since apparently, more and more Princess cruisers want a hamburger, meat loaf or Mac 'n cheese for dinner. Expectations have lowered rather than gone up. Most nights, the waitstaff are dressed better than the passengers. :(

Personally I would never pay an up charge for breakfast. Although I do like breakfast food I'm not willing to spend 1hr and half mulling over breakfast in a specialty restaurant,which is what it would turn into for the extra money. I would rather eat breakfast, fast being the optimum word and get into port. The choices they have in the buffet are more than enough. Each day they have a specialty omelet or you can just ask them to make an omelet to your specifications. I can't think of anything that they could add to a specialty menu that you couldn't get in the MDR, IC, or buffet. Maybe crepes but they take a long time to prepare.

Sorry, but have to laugh (not at you) at this since apparently, more and more Princess cruisers want a hamburger, meat loaf or Mac 'n cheese for dinner. Expectations have lowered rather than gone up. Most nights, the waitstaff are dressed better than the passengers. :(

I definitely agree. I have always been one to overdress but its very aggravating to me when you see people in jeans and a crappy button up shirt. I think if you aren't willing to put in the effort everyone else has by dressing up (At the very least khakis and polo shirt) then go to the buffet. I have always been annoyed by this.

When I read complaints about the food on Princess, it is usually from someone who is not adventurous when it comes to international cuisine. If you feed them steak and potatoes each night it would get 5 stars but if you call it Bistecca Toscana it creates a whole new image and translates to there was nothing on the menu that we liked.

I definitely agree. I have always been one to overdress but its very aggravating to me when you see people in jeans and a crappy button up shirt. I think if you aren't willing to put in the effort everyone else has by dressing up (At the very least khakis and polo shirt) then go to the buffet. I have always been annoyed by this.

Or NCL for freestyle cruising.

Thanks Pam, (and I agree there is always the dinning room), however you do see buffet items in dinning room too. Id even be happy with changes in the the buffet, cause Im not all the impressed with powered scrambled eggs, sticky plastic sausage and broken oily bacon. I go to the buffet for the view, but shouldn't have to endure mediocre food as a penalty for not eating in the dinning room. Mark

The egg station in Horizon Court solves the powdered egg issue...they will pretty much make what you want to order. It takes a bit longer but it's worth the extra time in quality. I usually try to stay away from the bacon and sausage because not only is it marginal in quality, but it's really not good for me...so I stick to Canadian bacon or ham when it comes to breakfast meat. The baked beans are also a nice alternative. The little potato patties they have are fine. I top it off with some fruit and yogurt and I'm good to go. If you time it right - when they come out fresh, the eggs Benedict and eggs Florentine are satisfying. And as others have pointed out, the dining room has higher quality breakfasts.

That said, there may be room for a for tariff breakfast alternative. I don't know that I would partake in it, however.

On a 2013 FLL to SYD sector on Pacific Princess' World Cruise there was a regular Sunday Brunch in the MDR and it was something to behold. It took me a while to work out why the rest of the ship was deserted at that time but I soon cottoned on. I snaffled a menu as a souvenir and looking back at it reminds me of its 'industrial strength, adult portion' variety.

Oh Pam, that is so true. I remember on Sitmar every night felt like a formal night. I think some would be happy coming in shorts and tank tops.

I took a chefs course in Jr college. I love to cook and know how easy it is to make delicious fresh food. I also know how cheap an egg is and those nasty powered eggs just burn me to no end. lol

I like fancy offerings and I can appreciate homey once in awhile too. Problem is, I pay and cruise for the fancier offerings. I get homey at home.

Princess has the best breakfast breads and pastries on all of the cruise lines I have sailed.

There are 1 or 2 daily specials each morning in the MDR; I have tried and enjoyed almost all of them.

So I see no need for an upcharge premium breakfast. For those of you bored by the buffet there are already two other options:

1. Get your butt out of bed early enough to go to the MDR;

2. Stick a crowbar in your wallet and book a suite for Sabatini's breakfast.

The last thing I want to see from Princess is one of those brunch buffets in the MDR that sacrifices BOTH breakfast and lunch there. A sea day with NO table service meals until dinner time (except for possibly one of the upcharge restaurants open for lunch) would not go over well at all with Princess' clientele.

I think the consensus is that there are plenty of decent options for Breakfast (no one mentioned the Balcony Breakfast either).

That said, Disney has had great success with their Palo brunches and I could see something similar on Princess as a nice option. I'd probably do it once per cruise if offered. The cost is the same as any other specialty dining.

Biggest issue would be finding the right venue, the steakhouses would probably not work as well as Sabatinis, which is committed to suite breakfasts.

The eggs are not powdered I actually saw how they were made. The w waffles are freshly made. They actually made fresh waffles as stood there and watched.

Sure what you are asking is labour intensive. Are willing to pay extra for the special say $20 per breakfast ?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Your neighborhood restaurant will make you a wonderful breakfast for lets say 10 dollars? and there's probably no highly skilled chefs in the kitchen. But paying maybe thousands to Princess and their 5 star chefs, you wouldn't expect as much? :D:eek:

The restaurant doesn't have 3,000 patrons daily.

I think the consensus is that there are plenty of decent options for Breakfast (no one mentioned the Balcony Breakfast either).

That said, Disney has had great success with their Palo brunches and I could see something similar on Princess as a nice option. I'd probably do it once per cruise if offered. The cost is the same as any other specialty dining.

Biggest issue would be finding the right venue, the steakhouses would probably not work as well as Sabatinis, which is committed to suite breakfasts.

A Palo like brunch would be awesome. It could be done on select sea days.

A few brunch photos from Palo:

342140537_4a24bba2f2_z.jpg

3507973433_2a8836e0bd_z.jpg

3508786858_b302cfe3e8.jpg

palo-brunch-menu-disney-magic-2.jpg

Last time I checked, waffles were not offered in the dining room. One time, a waiter went and got me some waffles from Lido deck and brought them down to me.

The breakfast menu has not changed in a very long time on Princess. Maybe some of the breakfast specials are new (though I doubt it) but the menus themselves could easily be revamped. There are small things that they could do with very little effort like make waffles, make blueberry pancakes or other flavors daily (not just once a week). Add french toast daily. Change the hash browns :(

I love breakfast and I love being served (not a horizon court person) and wish Princess would just add a little bit more to this. It really would not be very difficult.