Princess Breakfast-Brunch Idea Probably Not New But it's Time!

MTJSR

We eat breakfast every day in the MDR with the exception of early port days. We like the idea of a comfortable, peaceful place to enjoy breakfast (we are early risers and usually walk the promenade for a hour or so, getting to the MDR around 8 am, which is still pretty early.

We like being served and having many options every day-even among the everyday items.

I think breakfast is my favorite meal time (not by much, however) on the ship.

The eggs are not powdered I actually saw how they were made. The w waffles are freshly made. They actually made fresh waffles as stood there and watched.

Sure what you are asking is labour intensive. Are willing to pay extra for the special say $20 per breakfast ?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

My hubby likes the made-to-order omelets in the Horizon. I have also been in front of the waffle maker to grab a fresh one for my daughter. My own breakfast on board will usually be one of those hash brown patties, a couple of pancakes, grapefruit half, and OJ. We're not foodies so we're happy (the one thing I would change is having OJ not from concentrate).

:)Special breakfast - especially on a sea day - sounds great. We were once upgraded to a penthouse suite. Sabatini breakfasts were super. I still fondly remember the large glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice and bowls of berries. Can't afford to book a suite, but would happily pay for an upscale breakfast once a cruise. Not everyone will want this, just as many do not use any of the extra charge eating venues. Others love Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Balcony Dining, Chef's Table and the rest. There will be those who enjoy the idea of an upscale breakfast experience.

Breakfast is not only the first meal of the day but my favorite as well. Someone posted that the eggs are not powdered. I tried them and to me they tasted like powdered eggs so never had them again. Found a simple answer, and one I enjoy, oatmeal. A couple of slices of fruit, bowl of oatmeal and (of course) a pastry and I'm set. Varied little on a 14 day cruise.

I must say that I did however feel that the presentation and variety on the Disney breakfast buffet was much more appealing to the eye and palate.

Back to the OP question, would I pay for a breakfast meal? Most likely not.

So in summary, page 1 people disagree with me and page 2 people see merit in the idea. ;)

I like the pictures of the brunch in Palo on Disney. That is what I imagine when I think of a Princess brunch.

If indeed there is a waffle maker out by the pool, then that is crazy. What do you have to do, walk the ship to assemble a plate of breakfast? (not that it would hurt me)

and to the person who knows for sure the scrambled eggs are not powder, I will offer to help Princess crack and wisk eggs on my next cruise then. They are doing something wrong. I still think they are some strange manufactured egg product of some kind, too cake like in texture.

I find it interesting too that no one mentioned the Jamba Juice style smoothies thought. I guess, I can conclude that our age group is not in the JJ's demographics.

A Palo like brunch would be awesome. It could be done on select sea days.

A few brunch photos from Palo:

Maybe I'm weird but none of this appeals to me and I'd never pay extra for something like this. :(

Years ago on the Sapphire cruise from Sydney to LA, we had a great and very active roll call. As it was a long (32 days) cruise, a number of events were planned. One of these was a Mother's Day brunch. Over 180 people signed up and the cost was $20/pp. But what a brunch! We had one of the dining rooms dedicated to us, there was an ice sculpture, a cake and champagne was included. Best brunch I've ever had. Not sure if these photos will come out clearly. They're of the menu each of us received.

ajaqu6e4.jpg

unu5usyt.jpg

I would definitely pay $20-25 for a brunch like this.

If indeed there is a waffle maker out by the pool, then that is crazy. What do you have to do, walk the ship to assemble a plate of breakfast? (not that it would hurt me)

Before the Sapphire was remodeled, there was a waffle maker at the ice cream station. After it was remodeled, they made waffles at the new station in the buffet and just put them out with the rest of the buffet items. The waffles were really hard as they had been there a long time on my sailing and under a heat lamp.

Personally, the idea of Brunch does not appeal to me at all. I sure hope Princess does not go to a Brunch instead of Breakfast. Carnival did that and I hated it. It is from 9:30am - 1pm. I personally wake early and prefer my breakfast early.

When we had the Sunday Brunch on the Ocean Princess. They had the normal breakfast, then a light lunch at the buffet.

I like the idea of a brunch on longer cruises with sea days over the weekend. Over the years I have found that for the most part the dining room breakfast on Princess is way too slow. I love relaxing, but without a morning newspaper to read it just gets too long sitting there waiting for each course.

This is one of those areas that I LOVE how Royal Caribbean does it (at least on the larger ships). They have a buffet set up in the MDR every mornings for those who choose to use it, and there is also a menu for those who prefer that. The buffet has cereals, fresh fruits, breads and pastry, and some hot items in steam dishes like scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes. No custom made eggs or omelet station, if you want that you order off the menu. For people like us who prefer the peace and quiet of the MDR without the often painful wait, this is ideal and where we eat most mornings.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

When we had the Sunday Brunch on the Ocean Princess. They had the normal breakfast, then a light lunch at the buffet.

That is good to know. My question is this....on the days with Brunch is lunch in the MDR eliminated? Carnival did away with Breakfast and Lunch and chose to go with the Brunch.

The descriptions of the foods in the initial post of this thread gives the impression that breakfast in the Horizon Court is just plain gross, and IMO, that is a gross overstatement about the quality.

What's there may not be gourmet, but it's tasty, plentiful, and varied. And if one tires of that or wishes to be waited on, there's always the dining room breakfast.

I'd be extremely unlikely to pay extra for a fancy brunch, except possibly for a special occasion, onboard a ship.

That is good to know. My question is this....on the days with Brunch is lunch in the MDR eliminated? Carnival did away with Breakfast and Lunch and chose to go with the Brunch.

On the Ocean Princess, lunch was not served in the MDR on the days they offered the Sunday Brunch. However, on that ship, there is only one MDR and it was filled by the brunch eaters. There was no place to offer the usual MDR lunch

The descriptions of the foods in the initial post of this thread gives the impression that breakfast in the Horizon Court is just plain gross, and IMO, that is a gross overstatement about the quality.

What's there may not be gourmet, but it's tasty, plentiful, and varied. And if one tires of that or wishes to be waited on, there's always the dining room breakfast.

I'd be extremely unlikely to pay extra for a fancy brunch, except possibly for a special occasion, onboard a ship.

I think the quality and variety in the Horizon Court is better than the MDR. I also like the fruit offerings better in HC and then I can take as much of the fruits I want and can mix it. I would not be willing to pay extra either.

I love the made to order omlets in the buffet. Its one of the things I really miss when the crusie is over. I also remember the fresh waffles made in the ice cream parlor in the mornings, loved to get them fresh out of the cooker :)

Edited by DougH

Last time I checked, waffles were not offered in the dining room. One time, a waiter went and got me some waffles from Lido deck and brought them down to me.

The breakfast menu has not changed in a very long time on Princess. Maybe some of the breakfast specials are new (though I doubt it) but the menus themselves could easily be revamped. There are small things that they could do with very little effort like make waffles, make blueberry pancakes or other flavors daily (not just once a week). Add french toast daily. Change the hash browns :(

I love breakfast and I love being served (not a horizon court person) and wish Princess would just add a little bit more to this. It really would not be very difficult.

Yes! I love hash browns and it bugs me that you cannot get actual hash browns on Princess. The ones at McD's are better. :eek:

Sabatini's used to offer a brunch on sea days. It was fabulous--like the spread in any fancy hotel. For $15 you got unlimited mimosas (or you could have a bloody mary or screwdrivers), a fabulous cold seafood bar (including sushi), and made-to-order omelets, in addition to other wonderful items from the regular menu like osso bucco. We enjoyed it in October 2002 on the Golden Princess. Princess discontinued it in 2003. I think some ships tried opening Sabatini's for lunch with the same menu as at night, but that experiment did not last very long.

Princess could keep the suite breakfast in Sabatini's and offer a brunch in the Crown Grill.

Ask. I asked for them one morning when I was craving them and the chef on the Island whipped up some amazing ones that had bacon in them (okay not 'true' hash browns with shredded potatoes, these were diced...)

Yes! I love hash browns and it bugs me that you cannot get actual hash browns on Princess. The ones at McD's are better. :eek:

Breakfast is when DW gets up and we go to Sabitinis. Don't hink we would take advantage of a 5 star buffet for that meal. I've always found more than enough to suit my fancy at the buffet and would be happy there if we didn't have access to Sabitinis.

We start out with coffee, juice and fresh fruit in our suite around 6:30AM. :DLike you "The real Breakfast" is at Sabatini's and you can get whatever you desire! ;) That is one reason we book suites!~!~!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Sorry, but have to laugh (not at you) at this since apparently, more and more Princess cruisers want a hamburger, meat loaf or Mac 'n cheese for dinner. Expectations have lowered rather than gone up. Most nights, the waitstaff are dressed better than the passengers. :(

You are quite right with your observations! As for us, give us a "special atmosphere" and we love it. :)

Here in Oklahoma, quite often semi-formal means dust of your boots and get a clean pair of jeans. :D Don't ask about casual wear!!!!!!!!:eek:

I absolutely HATED that huge brunch buffet that Celebrity holds once a week! It was a glutton fest, and the food was the lowest quality...all about quantity. Let's not wish for that please.

At least you were brave enough to try it. I checked it out and passed right through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk