Well, is the toilet water salty or fresh?

AmazedByCruising

I've seen a few lists of stupid questions asked on board (including questions like "do these stairs go up or down"), and I've recently added a few more on this forum so people can complete their lists :)

As a lot of CC-members have been so nice to answer those with elaborate answers, I might try a question that I know is officially stupid because it is on those lists. There must be an awful good reason not to use seawater to flush the toilets (walking on thin ice here, because I'm not even sure that "fresh" is the right answer).

HAL put some emphasis on the fact that they used only 1.5 liter per flush instead of the usual 6 (from memory). Apart from storage, my guess is that the biggest environmental gain comes from not having to remove salt from 6 liters.

On land, at least in The Netherlands, there are houses that do use subpar water (rainwater, even "grey water" from the washing machine) because it does not need to meet the quality of drinking water.

Maybe corrosion or smelly micro-organisms might be part of the reason not to use seawater directly, but that does not feel like "Duh!" to me.

OK, a slightly more sensible answer. ;)

I might be wrong, but I don't think they use salt water, cos it's corrosive - certainly on steel pipes, unions, taps etc. Hence the brass & stainless deck fittings on ships & sea-going boats.

Ditto the importance of underseal on cars used on icy roads that have to be gritted with rock salt. I knew that as a schoolboy in the 1960's, a shame that Brit motor manufacturers of the time didn't go to the same school. :rolleyes: But that's going off-topic.

Certainly some ships use grey (sorry, gray) water for flushing toilets. But they'll be ships with a separate (clean fresh /de-salinated) water supply system for bathroom taps.(sorry, faucets)

JB :)

Actually I could care less it the water is "fresh. salty or gray" for me the important thing is if I push the button I just want it to FLUSH!!!!hehe!!

Agree! We're not going to be drinking it :rolleyes: so the only important thing is that the Button Works to Flush It.

LuLu

I don't understand all the people who don't care, what if you get thirsty as often do on a ship, what else is there to drink? :D

The real answer [at least for those can talk about] is fresh, a bloke knew worked for the local Water board and collected all sorts of samples on a cruise and had them tested, he reported that:

The water from:

The Shower

The basin

The toilet

The buffet

The MDR

was all of the same standard and indeed purer that the bottled water that he obtained on board and had less pollutants and impurities than that provided by his organisation.

In fact he was a little worried about the effect on anyone onboard for really long periods [like years at a time] because of the lack of minerals in the water

It is called gray water ..

It is called "gray water" only after it has been used in the sink and shower' date=' but not from the toilet. The water used to flush toilets comes from the same source as water for the shower and sink - it is no different. Shower and sink water drain into gray water tanks where it is treated to remove impurities and used to wash decks or for ballasting - excess is discharged into the ocean after being properly treated. Used toilet water is considered "black water" and is treated to remove waste products and then discharged into the ocean when properly treated to meet environmental law requirements. It is never reused.

source: http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/library/wastewater/csi/0708-CruiseShipWMreport.pdf

The water from:

The Shower

The basin

The toilet

The buffet

The MDR

was all of the same standard and indeed purer that the bottled water that he obtained on board and had less pollutants and impurities than that provided by his organisation.

In fact he was a little worried about the effect on anyone onboard for really long periods [like years at a time] because of the lack of minerals in the water

Certain minerals are added after treatment for exactly the reason he states - for taste and health reasons.

Edited by sloopsailor

It is called "gray water" only after it has been used in the sink and shower, but not from the toilet. The water used to flush toilets comes from the same source as water for the shower and sink - it is no different.

Does this mean one should not drink water from the sink?

I will drink the water from the sink faucet, but not from the sink itself. I prefer sipping from a glass, not lapping from a bowl. :D

Seriously, the same filtered and treated water is piped to the restaurants, bars, drinking fountains, sinks, showers, and even to the toilets. So it is safe to drink the water from your faucet over your sink. Since people rinse their mouths with this water when brushing their teeth this water must be safe to drink.

Edited by SantaFeFan

It is called "gray water" only after it has been used in the sink and shower, but not from the toilet. The water used to flush toilets comes from the same source as water for the shower and sink - it is no different.

No, water from the sink / shower / bath is fresh or de-salinated water and perfectly OK for drinking. The same water as used in drinks stations, kitchens, bars, jugged table water.

On some ships, the toilet is fed by that same water supply as the sink etc.

But on other ships, the toilet is fed by "gray" water that's been used in sinks, etc as sloopsailor's post.

Which is why you should never drink from the toilet bowl. :D

"Black" water is the effluent from toilets, it's treated & then discharged.

The only significant problem with water from the sink is that since it comes from a storage tank rather than reservoirs & underground springs, it's not as cold. So store some in your fridge or get your ice-bucket topped.

Certainly some ships use grey (sorry, gray) water for flushing toilets.

Off topic, but funny. My mom taught me to read with the Winnie the Pooh books as a child. In school, we had a spelling test. The word was "Gray." I, of course, spelled it GrEy, because that's what color Eeyore was, and that was how it was spelled. I got it marked wrong and was mad as a hornet. Took the book into school the next day and showed my teacher. She gave me credit, and sent a note home to my Mom telling her to get ready for some wild years ahead, as I had NO problem standing up for myself, no matter who I was standing against! That was a VERY long time ago, and that teacher still laughs about it when she sees my years later. She said she never asked that one on a spelling test again!

Off topic, but funny. My mom taught me to read with the Winnie the Pooh books as a child. In school, we had a spelling test. The word was "Gray." I, of course, spelled it GrEy, because that's what color Eeyore was, and that was how it was spelled. I got it marked wrong and was mad as a hornet. Took the book into school the next day and showed my teacher. She gave me credit, and sent a note home to my Mom telling her to get ready for some wild years ahead, as I had NO problem standing up for myself, no matter who I was standing against! That was a VERY long time ago, and that teacher still laughs about it when she sees my years later. She said she never asked that one on a spelling test again!

Well done, Emily.

But such a shame that, just like my computer, you still can't spell colour. :D

(apols for staying off-topic)

My brother got into a lot of trouble at an oral spelling bee.

He was told to spell 'flow', which he did. Told again to spell 'flow', spelled it again.

Teacher got really griped and shouted " No! I said spell flow, like what you standin' on!!"

He spelled floor and passed the test.

Well done, Emily.

But such a shame that, just like my computer, you still can't spell colour. :D

(apols for staying off-topic)

True enough, but since we're discussing differences in the English language (but don't get me started on that, since the British invented the darn language, and us Yanks had to screw it all up!), but why do the English say AL-YOU-MIN-EEUM? The word is ALUMINUM - no I after the N! Sheesh - can't the Brits even READ their own flipping language????:D:D:D

PS - all in good fun, BTW:cool:

True enough, but since we're discussing differences in the English language (but don't get me started on that, since the British invented the darn language, and us Yanks had to screw it all up!), but why do the English say AL-YOU-MIN-EEUM? The word is ALUMINUM - no I after the N! Sheesh - can't the Brits even READ their own flipping language????:D:D

Tut tut - the correct way to spell is it A-L-U-M-I-N-I-U-M. Aluminium.:D So yes, the Brits can read their own flipping language, it's you lot that spelled it wrong in the first place. Now let me see what other words.......:D:D

Edited by Lizzie68

True enough, but since we're discussing differences in the English language (but don't get me started on that, since the British invented the darn language, and us Yanks had to screw it all up!), but why do the English say AL-YOU-MIN-EEUM? The word is ALUMINUM - no I after the N! Sheesh - can't the Brits even READ their own flipping language????

Now you've got me riled :D

Comes from the Latin word alumen, long before America was invented.

The metal was invented by a Dane in the early 19th century, when America was still in diapers. Initially it was called alumium, then aluminum, but America then agreed with the civilised world ;) that it be called aluminium, because most elements end in ...ium.

100 years later, America decided to revert to aluminum. Everyone else kept with aluminium - the name used by IUPAC, the international union of chemists - or aluminio.

But the one which gets me going is Plymouth - from where the Pilgrim Fathers sailed & the source of the name of several Plymouths in America.

Plym is pronounced like Jim or Slim.

But Americans pronounce it like plywood or lime.

Plymouth is at the mouth of the River Plym, hence the name. And hence the pronunciation.

Same pronunciation, I believe, as Americans use for their Ford Plymouth cars.

End of history lesson :D

ps. Please, Miss, if anyone complains that this is off-topic - he started it. ;)

Edited by John Bull

But the one which gets me going is Plymouth - from where the Pilgrim Fathers sailed & the source of the name of several Plymouths in America.

Plym is pronounced like Jim or Slim.

But Americans pronounce it like plywood or lime.

Plymouth is at the mouth of the River Plym, hence the name. And hence the pronunciation.

Same pronunciation, I believe, as Americans use for their Ford Plymouth cars.

Sorry, but as an American for over 6 decades, I have never heard one of us call it with "ply" as in "plywood". Everyone I have ever heard say the name has called it with the "Jim" or "slim" pronunciation.

Not sure where you got that idea. :confused:

What gets me is that you keep you car's spare tire in your "boot". Here in the US we keep our feet in ours. :D

Edited by boogs

Sorry, but as an American for over 6 decades, I have never heard one of us call it with "ply" as in "plywood". Everyone I have ever heard say the name has called it with the "Jim" or "slim" pronunciation.

Not sure where you got that idea. :confused:

What gets me is that you look under your "boot" for your car's spare tire. Here in the US we look for mud under our boot. :D

Same here - always heard it the way John Bull says it should be pronounced. And what's with calling a flashlight a torch? I think of a torch as something with flames coming out of the top, not a battery powered light emitting device.

And a bonnet is what you put on a baby's head, not the hood of a car!

Oh well, it's all good. Just teasing there John Bull!:D

Darn Brits! (actually every English person I've ever met has been super nice, BTW)

Edited by A2Mich

Back to the original topic.

In the old days of cruising, we had little to no equipment for producing fresh water, and never enough storage for bunkered fresh water.

To reduce water consumption, we had to install a duplicate plumbing system that delivered sea water to flush every toilet on the ship.

The cost of the plumbing was enormous - as was the weight of all those miles of extra pipes. Salt water caused them to corrode very quickly and fail. We started adding "technical water" (from evaporators and A/C units) to the mix to slow corrosion.

Then they invented vacuum toilets that use very little water.

Nearly every ship built after that point had just one plumbing system that carried only potable water to all areas of the ship through that single plumbing system.

At about the same time we developed small, efficient desalination plants that could produce enough fresh water to meet the demand most of the time.

There are still a very few older ships that still have the old systems onboard, but their days are numbered.

Back to the original topic.

In the old days of cruising, we had little to no equipment for producing fresh water, and never enough storage for bunkered fresh water.

To reduce water consumption, we had to install a duplicate plumbing system that delivered sea water to flush every toilet on the ship.

The cost of the plumbing was enormous - as was the weight of all those miles of extra pipes. Salt water caused them to corrode very quickly and fail. We started adding "technical water" (from evaporators and A/C units) to the mix to slow corrosion.

Then they invented vacuum toilets that use very little water.

Nearly every ship built after that point had just one plumbing system that carried only potable water to all areas of the ship through that single plumbing system.

At about the same time we developed small, efficient desalination plants that could produce enough fresh water to meet the demand most of the time.

There are still a very few older ships that still have the old systems onboard, but their days are numbered.

Ahhhh, you've reminded me, Bruce ........

Back in the 1950's, as a kid I sailed a Brit troopship - a converted P&O liner - between UK & Hong Kong. No desalination plant on ships in those days and because of the limited bunkered water we took on water at several places, one of which was Aden (now part of Yemen) at the southern end of the Red Sea.

Aden water had a grim reputation. The place gets about as much rainfall & has as many rivers & lakes as Death Valley, so it was sea water from a primitive early example of a desalination plant. And it tasted foul. :eek:

A couple of years back we cruised up the Amazon on Love Boat's sister, built about 1972. We had to conserve water, including draining pools & hot-tubs, because Amazon water isn't suitable for treatment & the bunkered water wasn't sufficient for the time spent on the Amazon. I don't know whether modern cruisers have the same problem.

ps. A2Mich. Just to confuse you, I've driven thousands of miles with the hood raised.

But when it's warm & sunny I put it down for open-air motoring. :D