Recent FOS Passengers with PDP-Does succumbing to extra tip extortion work?

Between the time we booked and our fast-approaching sailing, the drink prices and gratuities were increased prompting us to purchase the PDP. Now I read posts (several) that having a package makes it "difficult" to get bar service because of the pre-paid 18% gratuity. Having been herded into the package by reason of the drink price increases, and with full intent to make it financially worthwhile, we're curious if a $ or $$/drink will help avoid a post - cruise rant of the type others have posted here and in a number of reviews.

In other words, having been forced into the package to make our customary consumption reasonably affordable, must we further assent to bribing bartenders in order to secure drinks when desired? (We customarily do so for good service, but haven't felt compelled to do so to obtain service at all.)

From your thread title and comments is seems like you are already upset and are wanting a 5 star vacation for a McDonalds price.

I am basically a non-drinker but have always bought the "coke card" because that is what I drink.

To assure good service when the "system" did not provide an incentive to the bar tenders to fix me a coke I have, for many years, been being extra friendly and polite and tipping each time with a $1 coin.

DSCN8452.jpg

By the second day, they would know who I was and where on the pool deck I would be hanging out and the roving drink servers would stop by to see if I needed a coke. When I walked up to the bar for a diet coke, if they saw me coming, it would be ready for me when I got there.

I consider this being the "cost of doing business" on board the ship. An extra $70 to $100 over the 7 day cruise was a small cost to pay to assure excellent service and it always worked.

My other choice was always to stay home and hang out at the local "red neck" bar or McDonalds parking lot.

So opinionated with no information! Should have been expected. Before you, a non-drinker, spew your opinion, perhaps you should read the entire post. By the way, I've never spent $809 at McDonald's (cost of drink package for 2 which as a non-drinker I would expect you don't know) on top of the GS cost which I'm sure you do. Your opinion is noted and hereafter ignored.

Edited by rch3

So opinionated with no information! Should have been expected. Before you, a non-drinker, spew your opinion, perhaps you should read the entire post. By the way, I've never spent $914 at McDonald's (cost of drink package for 2 which as a non-drinker I would expect you don't know) on top of the GS cost which I'm sure you do. Your opinion is noted and hereafter ignored.

I was thinking the same thing. I got the package last cruise only because the drinks were so expensive that it didn't make sense not to. I am still bitter over it and I will NOT tip extra. We didn't drink any more then the last cruises and our bar tab at the end of our previous cruises is usually in the $300.00 range, this cruise we spent over $700 for 2 packages.(one premium and one beer/wine) A cost we have to add to the cruise total. Every time I ordered a glass of wine I would have to say "Please don't give me the Tinsdale" nicely, 4 out of 5 times I had to send it back so I had to go up to the bar to get it myself anyway. :mad:

RCI is a public corporation and its primary purpose it to make money (turn a profit) and provide a reasonable return on investment to its stock holders.

RCI had chosen to build ships and rent cabins to people for cruises. The corporate leaders are doing their best to weigh increasing the costs of cruises against reducing service or increasing fees to specific user groups.

We are all part of a "captive customer base" when on board a ship just as we would be in a major league sports venue where the costs of food and drink are traditionally high compared to a local bar or McDonald's.

RCI seems to have made a decision to minimize the basic cost of a cruise while increasing the costs of extras such as alcoholic beverages, specialty restaurants, etc.

RCI is also doing a lot to improve the "suite experience" at the cost of many of its traditional loyalty programs.

We all have the option to "vote with our feet" and not cruise if we don't like the vacation experience that RCI is offering!

RCI is also doing a lot to improve the "suite experience" at the cost of many of its traditional loyalty programs.

We all have the option to "vote with our feet" and not cruise if we don't like the vacation experience that RCI is offering!

No argument with the second quoted paragraph. Judgment on the first is presently reserved.

Between the time we booked and our fast-approaching sailing, the drink prices and gratuities were increased prompting us to purchase the PDP. Now I read posts (several) that having a package makes it "difficult" to get bar service because of the pre-paid 18% gratuity. Having been herded into the package by reason of the drink price increases, and with full intent to make it financially worthwhile, we're curious if a $ or $$/drink will help avoid a post - cruise rant of the type others have posted here and in a number of reviews.

In other words, having been forced into the package to make our customary consumption reasonably affordable, must we further assent to bribing bartenders in order to secure drinks when desired? (We customarily do so for good service, but haven't felt compelled to do so to obtain service at all.)

Funny, your cruise has not even happened yet and already YOU forced YOURSELF to buy a drink package and you now whine about service for a cruise that has not happened:rolleyes:

For as often as I see you on these boards I'm certain you've read excoriations posted by others. Guess I should have ignored those opinions in favor of yours? I chose to do it because it made financial sense (surely you get that), and we intend to use it if service, contrary to many, many posts, can be secured. Whining? Please!

Edited by rch3

My understanding is that the drinks packages include 18% gratuity already, why should you have to pay extra in tips? I think 18% is enough of a tip already. Certainly before the first time a barman or waiter serves you he is unaware as to whether you have drinks package or not and yet you feel the need to tip him to gain his attention? Perhaps it is enough to purely show him your drinks card, he will then know that you have already contributed to his tip fund.

Just my opinion of course but no I wouldn't tip extra unless I received extra ordinary service.

Gail

For as often as I see you on these boards I'm certain you've read excoriations posted by others. Guess I should have ignored those opinions in favor of yours? I chose to do it because it made financial sense (surely you get that), and we intend to use it if service, contrary to many, many posts, can be secured. Whining? Please!

Yes, forced is your words even though you did an edit "In other words, having been forced into the package "

Hear is an opinion, you are in a GS, have full use of the CL with drinks at night in the CL(no limit), there are port days , you will be off the ship, and not drinking at the ships bars, you force yourself to buy a pkg., its on you. No one can predict service for a cruise that has not happened, but yes, lots on CC think that what happened on another cruise affects all future cruises. Go on your cruise and make up your own mind.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46527041#post46527041

Edited by setsail

Well you've paid for a package that includes tip so why not just wait to get onboard and use it. If bartenders are ignoring you then maybe it's time to add a tip.

We used the D vouchers on Liberty and I thought the bartenders were pretty nice about it. I did tip $1 a drink but only after they made it.

You are correct. I edited my post because I'd been inaccurate. Please forgive my transgression. Now, having provoked the unfortunate but otherwise predictable maelstrom, I'll just continue to factor into my expectations the experiences of others in the belief that mine, as the ordinary passenger, will be similar. I'll be certain to share that experience upon our return.

We've never had to bribe anyone to get good service. On cruises, tips are customarily extended on the last evening...that's what's expected, and that's what we do. Even those "pre-paid" tips on drink packages, and daily services are not given to the employees until the cruise is OVER!

I was thinking the same thing. I got the package last cruise only because the drinks were so expensive that it didn't make sense not to. I am still bitter over it and I will NOT tip extra. We didn't drink any more then the last cruises and our bar tab at the end of our previous cruises is usually in the $300.00 range, this cruise we spent over $700 for 2 packages.(one premium and one beer/wine) A cost we have to add to the cruise total. Every time I ordered a glass of wine I would have to say "Please don't give me the Tinsdale" nicely, 4 out of 5 times I had to send it back so I had to go up to the bar to get it myself anyway. :mad:

Why would you consider that package was a better deal based on previous cruise spending of $300? Even if, which they didn't, prices doubled you wouldn't benefit based on your consumption. Just curious.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. And while your post did say "forced into", it's obvious what you meant. Royal is, in essence, forcing people who do choose to drink alcohol (:eek:) while on their vacation (that costs much more than a trip to McDonalds :rolleyes:) to purchase their drink packages simply by raising the drink prices AND the forced gratuities per drink by over 40%.

If I'm paying $400+ for a premium drink package on my vacation, and that $400 includes the gratuity of 18%, I'm not inclined to bribe my bartender by tipping more, whether in coin or paper form. My reasoning is simple: I've paid thousands of dollars for this vacation - and another $800 for drinks for two people on this vacation, and for that price I should reasonably expect good service. I don't expect a private bartender or pool waiter. But I also don't expect to have to bribe someone into serving me a drink that I've already paid 18% gratuity for, in advance! So whether or not I drink enough to even break even on the cruise, I've PAID that 18% gratuity.

I've read the threads you've read that say pool bar service has suffered. But I've also read an equal number that says bar service was just fine. I am just going to wait and see in November. I hope your upcoming cruise is wonderful and hope that your service is great as well!

So opinionated with no information! Should have been expected. Before you, a non-drinker, spew your opinion, perhaps you should read the entire post. By the way, I've never spent $809 at McDonald's (cost of drink package for 2 which as a non-drinker I would expect you don't know) on top of the GS cost which I'm sure you do. Your opinion is noted and hereafter ignored.

Just because your opinion differs from trainman does not mean he offered no information. It may not have been the information you wanted, but he did offer an opinion and information.

I think getting drink service is difficult nowadays regardless of whether or not you have a package. That's been proven by many posts on these boards. I, too, can attest to this as I cruised in March, did not purchase a drink package, and still had trouble getting drinks. This did not adversely affect my cruise, but it is something that seems to be happening more frequently.

I know the prices have increased, but to me, you would still have to drink quite a few drinks a day to make the PDP worth it. Even if my DH and I shared the package, it would still be not worth it for us.

It's very simple in my opinion. You want exceptional service, tip like that's what you want. You want mediocre service do not tip extra. These people work for tips just like in you're favorite restaurant that you frequent a lot. Tip like you're a cheapskate and you'll get treated that way. I go to my favorite restaurant and there's a wait my waiter brings me drinks and assures me he will get me a table ASAP. He knows I take good care of him and he returns it with exceptional service. A cruise is service oriented and yes in my opinion you must take care of them with a little extra. 15%-18% is just not enough for the exceptional service we all love to have.

Just my opinion!😉

If I'm paying $400+ for a premium drink package on my vacation, and that $400 includes the gratuity of 18%, I'm not inclined to bribe my bartender by tipping more, whether in coin or paper form. My reasoning is simple: I've paid thousands of dollars for this vacation - and another $800 for drinks for two people on this vacation, and for that price I should reasonably expect good service. I don't expect a private bartender or pool waiter. But I also don't expect to have to bribe someone into serving me a drink that I've already paid 18% gratuity for, in advance! So whether or not I drink enough to even break even on the cruise, I've PAID that 18% gratuity.

I agree with this. To boil it down; if I am being charged a gratuity or service charge automatically (anywhere, for anything) I do expect good, efficient service. Not that the server need to be entertaining or do something out of the ordinary, or do cartwheels or anything; just that if the price includes a service charge, well, then good service should be expected by the patron.

I think if you feel compelled to hand out $1 or more per drink (that already has a gratuity attached to it) just to get standard service then there is a problem with the service and the money is just legitimizing service issues.

If you're handing the money out because you've had great service or you really enjoy handing the money out so be it, that's a different story altogether and not really an issue or anyones business.

I also believe some people feel awkward if they do not go through the act of adding more money when they are face to face with someone, which I think has a lot to do with this phenomenon of constantly tipping on top of tips. The "concierge effect" where some people say "Oh we only tipped $50 to the concierge because we never used his services. Our stateroom attendant was the best ever; we gave him an extra $20". Why did the concierge get 2.5X more than the best stateroom attendant ever for no interaction? Just a "for example"

I also believe some are heavy "tippers" to garner favors and priority over others and those exist in almost all situations where someone isn't getting good service and subsequently rewarding it, but putting up a wad of money with the unspoken expectation of receiving better / faster /additional services than standard. That is not a tip, but a bribe.

I agree with this. To boil it down; if I am being charged a gratuity or service charge automatically (anywhere, for anything) I do expect good, efficient service. Not that the server need to be entertaining or do something out of the ordinary, or do cartwheels or anything; just that if the price includes a service charge, well, then good service should be expected by the patron.

I think if you feel compelled to hand out $1 or more per drink (that already has a gratuity attached to it) just to get standard service then there is a problem with the service and the money is just legitimizing service issues.

If you're handing the money out because you've had great service or you really enjoy handing the money out so be it, that's a different story altogether and not really an issue or anyones business.

I also believe some people feel awkward if they do not go through the act of adding more money when they are face to face with someone, which I think has a lot to do with this phenomenon of constantly tipping on top of tips. The "concierge effect" where some people say "Oh we only tipped $50 to the concierge because we never used his services. Our stateroom attendant was the best ever; we gave him an extra $20". Why did the concierge get 2.5X more than the best stateroom attendant ever for no interaction? Just a "for example"

I also believe some are heavy "tippers" to garner favors and priority over others and those exist in almost all situations where someone isn't getting good service and subsequently rewarding it, but putting up a wad of money with the unspoken expectation of receiving better / faster /additional services than standard. That is not a tip, but a bribe.

A bribe??? I never said you give me this and I'll give you this back??

They work for tips.. That's how they make their money..

So what you saying is that servers are nothing more than extortionists?

An I have fallen prey to them? Or I am nothing more than a big shot throwing my money at them? That is ridiculous.

Everyone must remember this: you are NOT paying 18% of each drink when you have the package, you are paying 18% of the price of the package! If you intend on "taking advantage" or "getting your moneys worth" of said package, you will be drinking many more drinks than $55 dollars per day would buy. Honestly I think the bar servers have a right to be upset. I personally wait a day or two and then tip extra when I see who treats me well. I will be bringing singles with me next cruise for this purpose. Also there are plenty of bars, I don't frequent the ones that don't give the service I expect.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

If the cruise line is automatically charging that, shouldn't that get you good and efficient service though?

Yes I agree. However there are more people on the ship today than yesterday.

And what seems to be the same amount of servers. And from what I read people aren't happy with the slowed service. If you don't extra tip you're just another passenger that will have to wait his or her turn.

A bribe??? I never said you give me this and I'll give you this back??

They work for tips.. That's how they make their money..

So what you saying is that servers are nothing more than extortionists?

An I have fallen prey to them? Or I am nothing more than a big shot throwing my money at them? That is ridiculous.

My original posting was being typed when you posted yours. I did not see yours before beginning my posting and it was not a response to yours. It was not intended to be directed at you or your comments in any personal way.

I stand by my statements and characterizations however.