Going to Europe? Passport warning!!!

Those of you who are regular cruisers likely know this but hoping someone can learn from our mistake. We were booked for the 7 night Med cruise out of Barcelona. Booked in Jan through RC. 8 of us. For my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Showed up at airport with boarding passes in hand, all 8 of us, 10 bags packed to the rim, and were informed 3 of our kids passports, while still valid another 77 days in US, needed to be 90 days from end of cruise valid.

We were crushed.

It's a long story and it gets more involved but ultimately were told by RC that even if we could get into Spain, they would not let us on boat, that the kids passports needed to be 6 mos past expiration.

We used RC as our travel agent. It would have been nice (though I realize I could have checked into it on my own) if they would have told us US travelers unfamiliar with European policies.

We did buy their travel insurance and our flights through them. Who knows how this will all play out. We had months to get it taken care of and had no idea.

Those of you who are regular cruisers likely know this but hoping someone can learn from our mistake. We were booked for the 7 night Med cruise out of Barcelona. Booked in Jan through RC. 8 of us. For my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Showed up at airport with boarding passes in hand, all 8 of us, 10 bags packed to the rim, and were informed 3 of our kids passports, while still valid another 77 days in US, needed to be 90 days from end of cruise valid.

We were crushed.

It's a long story and it gets more involved but ultimately were told by RC that even if we could get into Spain, they would not let us on boat, that the kids passports needed to be 6 mos past expiration.

We used RC as our travel agent. It would have been nice (though I realize I could have checked into it on my own) if they would have told us US travelers unfamiliar with European policies.

We did buy their travel insurance and our flights through them. Who knows how this will all play out. We had months to get it taken care of and had no idea.

WOW, I'm assuming you that you had to cancel. The entire group or selected cruisers.

Clarification. Did the TSA or the airline inform you at the airport, or if RCL contacted you when did they inform of the 6 months window. Did you check-in online--if so, no feedback as to the requirements since it requires passport info.

Edited by nelblu
addl data

Very sorry to hear that and good of you to take the time to post - It may save someones holiday.

I hope you all still managed to do/go somewhere else nice in stead. Good luck with your insurance but you may struggle with that.

http://m.state.gov/md231319.htm

As the article reads, the six month rule is not new. As it states in your travel documents, whether it be through RCCI or your travel agents, know all passport and Visa requirements as you prepare for your cruise vacation.

As the OP (and your link) said Spain and the EU require 3 months. Turkey requires 6 months.

Government bureaucracies love to make arbitrary decisions. I'm sure 99% of visitors stay less than 30 days in the EU. But the 6 months rule becomes the common denominator because governments are lazy and are unable to display any flexibility.

My sympathies go out to the OP. I sincerely hope you get your money back.

As the OP (and your link) said Spain and the EU require 3 months. Turkey requires 6 months.

Government bureaucracies love to make arbitrary decisions. I'm sure 99% of visitors stay less than 30 days in the EU. But the 6 months rule becomes the common denominator because governments are lazy and are unable to display any flexibility.

Blame Al Qaeda and waves of illegal refugees. They made this a big issue and ruined the fun and flexibility for everyone.

As an aside the RCI web site at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do mentions a recommendation of 6 months left on your passport. Having said that the Australian web site at http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do lays it out more clearly.

There are actually very good reasons for the 90 day limit but it does cause problems for those caught out by it.

We were crushed.

When I arrived at Canadian Customs in Vancouver for an Alaska cruise, I was informed of the same policy. They let me go on.

Edited by C Cruise Dude
add more

As an aside the RCI web site at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do mentions a recommendation of 6 months left on your passport. Having said that the Australian web site at http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do lays it out more clearly.

There are actually very good reasons for the 90 day limit but it does cause problems for those caught out by it.

All of the timing seems rather arbitrary, at least to me.

Would you mind telling us what are "very good reasons". I truly am interested.

WOW, I'm assuming you that you had to cancel. The entire group or selected cruisers.

Clarification. Did the TSA or the airline inform you at the airport, or if RCL contacted you when did they inform of the 6 months window. Did you check-in online--if so, no feedback as to the requirements since it requires passport info.

As we were traveling as a family for a anniversary celebration (my parents, myself and wife, and our 4 kids--3 of the kids were in the "expiring too early passport" situation), the entire group cancelled.

Checked in online day before. As you stated, it asked for passport info (can't remember if it was asked for when the tickets were actually purchased--or if RC required it when we registered for the trip)

Got to check-in at airport and airline customer service told us "we have a little problem".

They tried to very hard to take good care of us, ultimately letting us fly our first leg, where we had a 4 hour layover, to try and get it remedied. As someone else said above, especially w 3 minors, they would have likely let it slide if we actually got there. But then RC (who's customer service people were leading us on like it was not THEM who would not let us travel, it was the AIRLINE) changed their tune once the airline said, "we see it often and even talked to immigration in Barcelona", and gave us the all clear. RC told us they would NOT let us board. At that point we decided we had better cancel the trip, as I didn't want to be in Spain stuck trying to get on the boat, or having issues at every port, etc.

On a whim, looked at cruises leaving the following day, and got 3 of the last 4 rooms on the Disney Dream for a 4 night carribbean cruise. It was not ideal (we had been on the same cruise 2 other times) but Disney could not have been more accommodating and worked hard to make it work for us and at that point, it beat going home after being fully prepared to be taken care of for 7 nights.

It's the foreign countries that have the problem.

The U.S. has no such number for citizens.

Kia ora,

The U.S. applies the same rule and doesn't admit tourists from other countries into into their country if their passport expires within six months. We have been forced to renew our passport early to comply with this U.S. requirement (and renew our tourist visa).

Aquarians

I am so sorry for your disappointment. It would be so difficult after all the planning to miss out. Good luck with travel insurance.

Maybe it is just living in Australia but it is normal for us. We are so used to this six month rule with the areas we travel to we tend to check our passports to making sure they comply. In fact we now just automatically update them if they are getting close to only six months left. The frustrating thing is we end up losing those months as our passports start from the time we renew.

Thank you for posting this as maybe it will help others to remember to check passport and visa requirements for countries they are visiting.

Tge six minth rule has been in effect for years, long before 9/11 and the subsequent security measures. Sadly that does not pacify the exteme disappointment you all must have felt, however it is printed in numerous places on rccl website. They do tell us to read all documentation thoroughly. When you do online checkin it clearly says to read online documents and setsail pass info. Had that been done you would have been able to check passports and expedite new ones if needed. This is unfortunately a reminder that we as passengers have responsibility to know all requirements. Rccl did their partby clearly stating the requirements. Passports are just one thing to be alert too. Many countries require visas also and it is always the passengers responsibility to know which countries require them and how to secure them. I'm truly sorry this happened but maybe someone else will read this and be spared the same disappointment.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

The "6 Month" rule is a generalization, most countries, the US included, "stamp you in" for varying lengths of time, for Brits coming to the US it is 3 months, unless you have a visa, then it can be 6 months. Countries normally require you to have a passport that is valid for at least the amount of time they allow you to stay in the country, so that you have a valid passport to leave and don't become stuck and a burden to the country. It looks like the airline got special dispensation from Immigration in Spain to allow you to fly, the problem was that if you got to Spain and RCI let you board, without the same special dispensation, you may not have been allowed to disembark the ship and RCI would be stuck with you. In an ideal world, RCI would have followed the same path as the airline, and tried to get you pre cleared to return, this is something they did not offer to do, and even though they don't have to, it would have been a nice gesture on their part.

Sorry for your disappointment, but hope you at least enjoy your Disney cruise.

Edited by uksimonusa

Would you mind telling us what are "very good reasons". I truly am interested.

Things become harder when you are somewhere without a valid passport. The rules are about not allowing a situation where that may occur.

A few issues:

1. With the available of visa at point of entry (or ETSA or similar) then with a passport about to expire the visa may be set to expire after the passport does which would be problematic.

2. By having a 90 day expiry it allows for problems like volcanos which cause travel delays to happen without leaving people without valid travel documentation.

3. Similiarly repatriation becomes harder without a valid passport. With a valid passport they can return you to your last port of call.

My sympathies go out to the OP. I sincerely hope you get your money back.

There actually is a reason for the regulations. The theory is if something happened to you, such as you got sick or injured, you would have enough time to recover before your passport expired

Things become harder when you are somewhere without a valid passport. The rules are about not allowing a situation where that may occur.

A few issues:

1. With the available of visa at point of entry (or ETSA or similar) then with a passport about to expire the visa may be set to expire after the passport does which would be problematic.

2. By having a 90 day expiry it allows for problems like volcanos which cause travel delays to happen without leaving people without valid travel documentation.

3. Similiarly repatriation becomes harder without a valid passport. With a valid passport they can return you to your last port of call.

There actually is a reason for the regulations. The theory is if something happened to you, such as you got sick or injured, you would have enough time to recover before your passport expired

Thank you.

But it is still an arbitrary number. It's almost the same effect as losing your passport. Does it also mean if you break the law your sentence would end before your passport expires? In these days of a world connected by the Internet an expired paper document seems silly.

I don't really want to debate a bureaucratic process.:)

We were crushed.

I am sorry you missed your cruise but what do you mean you used Royal Caribbean as your travel agent? They are not a travel agency, they are a cruise line. Yes, you can use choice air and also book your flights, but they are not a travel agency.

It is too late now but there is a section on the cruise lines website telling you the required travel documentation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do

One very important line to note is:

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

I know you purchased insurance so you might be eligible for the 75% cancel for any reason credit if you cancelled your cruise prior to departure of the ship. Since you were in contact with the cruise line about your documentation problems, hopefully, they have you as a cancel and not a no show.

Here is a link to the cruise care policy so you have all the details:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V3.pdf

I really hope you are able to get a future credit and will be able to book a cruise in the future once all this is settled.