Port Everglades questions/issues

aeegee

We will be cruising with our children and grandchildren from the Ft. Lauderdale terminal with Celebrity. We'd like to rent a car for the day since our flight leaves in the evening.

This is what were looking at, so if someone could tell us if this would work we'd appreciate it -

My husband and I would carry our luggage off the ship around 8am or so. Go through customs and then take a cab to the airport to pick up the rental car. The family would leave the ship with their bags about 1/2 hour later and then wait for us in the terminal area to return with the rental car to pick them up. Is this possible?

Our main question is, can we get to the terminal and pick them up or are there restrictions on picking up people in a private/rental car. I can't remember seeing people being picked up or dropped off at the terminal. We did see lots of shuttles and cabs. I also know that you have a gate to go through where a security guard looks at your paperwork before even entering the port area.

It will be very crowded at the terminal since this is Easter week so I'm not sure how long we would be able to wait at the terminal in the rental car if the family got tied up with the crowds.

Thank you in advance for any help.

You should have no problem driving the rental car back into the port to pick people up.

By the way, there are also rental car agencies near the port that have free shuttles. We have used Avis on 17th St, colocated with the Hyatt Pier 66.

Edited by clarea

You can't sit out front of the cruise terminal to wait. What the port suggests is you park at the port office parking lot, which is just inside security at Eller Dr (the end of I-595). Then have the other party call you when they clear customs and have them tell you where they are standing. Then you drive up and get them. This is also where the pre-booked limos and such are supposed to wait as well. I agree with the above that there shouldn't be any problem re-entering the port. Have your cruise paperwork with you for proof that you were just on that ship, and tell the guard you were just getting the car and are picking up the rest of your party. Happens all the time. If you rent from Alamo or National, they have a free shuttle to the airport car rental centre, and it's a large bus so your entire party could travel back like that if you wanted. You just need a rental confirmation to show the driver

Thank you both so much. This really helped.

My only problem now is not seeing any info on Alamo or other rentals companies that say anything about a shuttle from Port Everglades to the airport. Where would we pick the shuttle up to get to the airport?

Thanks again.

Thank you both so much. This really helped.

My only problem now is not seeing any info on Alamo or other rentals companies that say anything about a shuttle from Port Everglades to the airport. Where would we pick the shuttle up to get to the airport?

Thanks again.

For Alamo it is not on their website. I just booked a car with them for pre-cruise and emailed the Customer Support team and they said they have a shuttle that runs between the cruise port and the airport rental center every 10-15 min.

Reserve you car (at least from Alamo) at the Ft Lauderdale Airport location, put a note on the reservation that you will be coming in on a cruise ship and that will do it. Just have your email confirmation with you to show the shuttle bus driver when they come by. There will be a designated space outside the crusie terminal for rental car pick up shuttles, go there once you clear customs and have you bags. We did this with a few years ago and it was easy - peasey - Lemon squeezey.

And also as I said above (and posted a pic in a different thread a week or so ago), the Alamo shuttle bus isn't the typical blue and green Alamo/National shuttle you would see at most airports. It's a large, colorful bus, painted up in some kind of animal theme (they have several buses). It will have Ft Lauderdale Hollywood Int'l Airport written across the top of the windows along the side. It's been a couple years for us, but perhaps some of the other more recent Alamo users can confirm that.

Edited by DanJ

Any reason why you have to use Alamo? It might be quicker and easier to rent nearer Port Everglades...that would be Thrifty/Dollar or there is also a Budget on 17 Street...in addition check the price differences when dealing with the rental companies at FLL they may be priced higher..and just the hassle of going to the airport may make using an off site quicker.

Any reason why you have to use Alamo? It might be quicker and easier to rent nearer Port Everglades...that would be Thrifty/Dollar or there is also a Budget on 17 Street...in addition check the price differences when dealing with the rental companies at FLL they may be priced higher..and just the hassle of going to the airport may make using an off site quicker.

OP wants to rent the car post-cruise and return it to the airport before their flight.

OP wants to rent the car post-cruise and return it to the airport before their flight.

Usually within Florida you can pick up/drop off at different locations without an extra fee. Not sure if it would apply in this case but it might. For example, when I am doing a TA I park my car at an airport nearer my home (usually Ft. Myers as it's on the way for me from home to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) and then rent a car there and drop off near the port. No extra drop-off charge. Then after the TA I fly back to Ft. Myers, go to my car and drive home.

So the OP may be able to pick up near the port and return at the airport. More convenient and (probably) no extra charge.

Edited by bottomfeeder

Again...No reason to only deal with pickup/return to FLL...The OP can price out picking up from a near PE location and return to FLL...this is done all the time...and lets you avoid the possible hassle and traffic in and around FLL. We do a combination of locations for pickup/return all the time in Florida.

It's definitely wise to compare the different options. One thing that airport locations usually have over city locations is the "skip the counter" option. Many of the city locations get quite busy right after a cruise and you can spend a fair amount of time waiting if those direct to the car programs aren't offered there. And let's be honest, FLL isn't far at all from the port, not a like a trip to the middle of nowhere to get a car.

Thank you everyone. We want to just be able to pick up at the ship terminal and go to the airport to rent the car. We'll return the car to the airport later in the day.

In listening to responses, which I really appreciated, I found that there is a way to take a shuttle to the airport from the ship terminal. Now we may all just catch the shuttle, go to the airport, get the car and go from there. It sounds easier than my husband and I going to get the car and then having to come back and wait for the kids to get through customs. Just have to figure out where in the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean terminal the shuttle buses are to catch a ride to the airport.

Thank you all. I still have a little more investigation to do, but if anyone knows where those rental car (Alamo) shuttles are in the cruise terminal are I would really appreciate it.:D

Thank you everyone. We want to just be able to pick up at the ship terminal and go to the airport to rent the car. We'll return the car to the airport later in the day.

In listening to responses, which I really appreciated, I found that there is a way to take a shuttle to the airport from the ship terminal. Now we may all just catch the shuttle, go to the airport, get the car and go from there. It sounds easier than my husband and I going to get the car and then having to come back and wait for the kids to get through customs. Just have to figure out where in the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean terminal the shuttle buses are to catch a ride to the airport.

Thank you all. I still have a little more investigation to do, but if anyone knows where those rental car (Alamo) shuttles are in the cruise terminal are I would really appreciate it.:D

It really depends on which terminal you end up at. RCI and Celebrity use a few different terminals (the only sure bet is the Oasis and Allure use terminal 18 on Saturdays and Sundays). You might call Alamo at 800-462-5266 and see what they have to say. Ask them what time the shuttle starts running from the port to the airport and where you are supposed to go at the terminal to wait. We've only taken the shuttle to the port and they drop you where the luggage porters are.

There is a Dollar car rental just outside the port area maybe they have a shuttle to their office

One person could go get the car & return to pick up the rest of you

Yes...Thrifty/Dollar (same thing really...same building, same rental counter and same shuttle)...offers a comp shuttle...we've used it a few times...very quick, close and easy.

I would actually have everyone take the shuttle to the rental office...easy to do..they have large shuttle bus's...we've done this with a family of 6 adults.

Edited by Ashland

Again, thank you all for the information.

We always seem to be in the same terminal when we sail with Celebrity, especially their larger ships. I think it's 18, but somehow maybe I can find out and then call Alamo to see were the shuttle is.

No, we don't have to use Alamo, but that's what we came up with as far as pricing and a vehicle that we can all fit in. I think we settled on a large SUV.

If I can find out what terminal I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks again

It will be very crowded at the terminal since this is Easter week so I'm not sure how long we would be able to wait at the terminal in the rental car if the family got tied up with the crowds.

Thank you in advance for any help.

You won't have to worry about this as the ship has the same number of passengers getting off/boarding every week.

Again, thank you all for the information.

We always seem to be in the same terminal when we sail with Celebrity, especially their larger ships. I think it's 18, but somehow maybe I can find out and then call Alamo to see were the shuttle is.

No, we don't have to use Alamo, but that's what we came up with as far as pricing and a vehicle that we can all fit in. I think we settled on a large SUV.

If I can find out what terminal I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks again

If you are talking about the March 20th cruise in your signature, then that's a Sunday, which means the Allure of the Seas will be at terminal 18. On your return a week later, the Allure will again be at 18, so you will likely be over at 25, 26, those terminals at the end of Eller Dr.

If you are talking about the March 20th cruise in your signature, then that's a Sunday, which means the Allure of the Seas will be at terminal 18. On your return a week later, the Allure will again be at 18, so you will likely be over at 25, 26, those terminals at the end of Eller Dr.

Thanks Dan.

After looking further I did see the terminals and figured that we would be at one of the other terminals. I'm assuming that those terminals have the rental car shuttles also, do you know if that's correct?

Thanks again.

...Now we may all just catch the shuttle, go to the airport, get the car and go from there. It sounds easier than my husband and I going to get the car and then having to come back and wait for the kids to get through customs. Just have to figure out where in the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean terminal the shuttle buses are to catch a ride to the airport.... if anyone knows where those rental car (Alamo) shuttles are in the cruise terminal are I would really appreciate it.

No offense, but this all sounds very complicated and frustrating, especially after disembarking a cruise with thousands of other guests. MY advice is to get thee out of the cruise port as soon as possible. Grab a taxi to the airport or nearest rental agency of your choice. We just did this - a cab to the airport is approximately $15.00 on the meter per cab (not per person), no flat rate. We took a taxi van which handled 4 adults and 7 pieces of luggage and carry-ons, no problem - same price.

I would not be waiting around for a shuttle bus. It's madness there as it is. I think you should perhaps just get your entire party out of there. :) Having said that, here is your list of options, courtesy member MADflyer, with a few of my own notes:

ONLY Alamo/National shuttle between FLL Airport and Port Everglades. Must show return receipt/reservation to board shuttle. I use a big box store website and they often have incredible rates. All others do not shuttle and you must get a cab to the port, approximately $15.00 on the meter, plus tip (no flat rate).

Other locations:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

Thanks Dan.

After looking further I did see the terminals and figured that we would be at one of the other terminals. I'm assuming that those terminals have the rental car shuttles also, do you know if that's correct?

Thanks again.

The shuttles do a loop around to all the terminals and then back to their respective office, and that area of the port is just a traffic circle with several terminals around it. Langley Cruisers post also has a lot of merit, and that is what I personally would do, just get out of there by cab, unless you happen to see the shuttle coming.