Rough Week on Oasist

Sherri914

Hi all from the beautiful Oasis of the Seas. We are currently heading back to Ft Lauderdale and this has been one rough cruise. We saw weather reports the week before this cruise calling for rain and thunderstorms in every port of call scheduled for this week. And we didn't have a drop of rain in any port.

We arrived at Pier 18 at 11:15am. Checked in immediately - no waiting - and walked straight into the ship. Rooms opened at 1pm.

We're in a boardwalk balcony (12725). Great view. No issue with noise for us. Shows end early enough that the noise when the balcony door is closed wasn't an issue. Great view of the theater and the wake. As I'm writing this, I'm on my balcony watching MI - Rogue Nation.

ImageUploadedByForums1447985036.040952.jpg.1afadf5b04220a81e85be612455b3c3a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447985497.100868.jpg.2a06bdd950f6babd5a4e435b3f737685.jpg

Day 1, nice sail away without any rain but it was windy. First night at sea we had rain and the Oasis of Dreams show was canceled.

Day 2, Nassau - in my opinion only (YMMV) - is not a stop I would ever get off the ship for again. We saw a dirty port, and at one point a man (a local) followed us to the point that we were uncomfortable and ducked into a jewelry store. He was chased out of the store and proceeded to wait for us outside. Not a good scene. We got away and headed back to the ship.

Day 3, Sea - lovely day without rain but it was super windy. Crew were even commenting about the high winds and saying they hadn't seen it this windy in a very long time.

Day 4, St Thomas - another beautiful, clear day. We spent the day at Hull Bay. I highly recommend this for beginner snorkeling. We used STSSA and they were wonderful. Secluded beach.

ImageUploadedByForums1447985567.243853.jpg.3a4e3eaa872abdffa966c8b107912fa4.jpg

And we saw the famous iguana on the island of course.

ImageUploadedByForums1447985590.849577.jpg.9d2435d07912933774b602c9efcbdfbe.jpg

Day 5, St Maarten - once again, clear and sunny. We booked Tour 2 with Bernard's and had "Mailman" as our guide. Fantastic day. We went to Orient Beach, Marigot, and Maho. I can't recommend this tour enough. Excellent.

ImageUploadedByForums1447985626.302102.jpg.0a32d9af147867830223f80e23fccb2a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447985641.670895.jpg.ded1cee30abdf3236383582bbaa673c8.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447985655.907076.jpg.6c0224b84525a71462354b20468fca60.jpg

And as an added bonus, we docked beside the beautiful Anthem of the Seas

ImageUploadedByForums1447985699.179439.jpg.1d0eda4d2bf45adbfd98ecae4db3ea34.jpg

Day 6 (and 7), Sea - the temperature was perfect today, sun was shining, but wow - the seas were rolling. The wind is hitting us squarely on the starboard side and it's rocking to the point that the waiters were stumbling a bit. We watched the 3D movie today and felt the ship rocking like crazy the whole time. It's supposed to be the same or worse tomorrow as far as the wind. We ate in the MDR this morning for breakfast and had to look away from the window we were sitting near because it was making us both sick seeing the rolling waves.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

Ship Condition - The ship is in beautiful condition, as always. There were the occasional odd smells here or there but to me the seemed more on the mildew side than sewage. I attribute it to damp, humid Caribbean weather. And nothing that would make me downgrade the overall feel of cleanliness. In fact we both noticed and commented on how clean the ship is. There is always someone cleaning.

Sercice - Service by cabin steward was outstanding, as always. We had requested a fan for our room ahead of time, but it wasn't noted apparently. He had one in our cabin by Day 2.

Dining - No specialty dining for us. We did MDR, Windjammer, and Room Service for dinner. No formal nights for us. The Windjammer serves lobster on first formal night, and crab legs on second formal night if anyone is interested. The lobster was rubbery with little taste. The crab legs were soggy (frozen then thawed). Two thumbs down for both of those items but pretty much everything else we ate was tasty. And for those who enjoy sugar free desserts, try the SF Berry Tart. That is really great! Oh, and for those looking for the old fan fave Honey Stung Chicken, it's on the room Sercice menu and it's the actual chicken breast - not the frozen pressed chicken patty they were doing for a while.

Bar Service - We had bought the premium package in advance then canceled it. We had $225 OBC to start the week with. It's the evening of Day 6 and our bill is now $206. So glad we canceled the package. We have not limited ourselves at all. If we wanted a drink, we got it. We also bought 3 bottles of liquor to take home as gifts. And I bought the Internet package starting on day 3. And even with all that, we're still only at $206 due. Bar service was excellent. We never had an issue getting drinks. Here and there we tipped in cash in addition to the automatic 18%. But we never had trouble getting a drink at any time.

VOOM Internet - I bit the bullet on Day 3. With our discount, the total for the remainder of the cruise was $67.50. It has worked flawlessly the entire week. I've used it to text, stream Netflix, check email... No problems at all. Very fast, and I'll never cruise without it again! I don't cruise to sit in the room streaming movies, but the tv service is so bad now (only 2 watchable channels pretty much) I enjoyed having the ability to watch shows or movies in the evening.

This has been an amazing cruise - as always - and after docking beside Anthem, we have her in our sites now for a future cruise.

And one last shot to leave you with ... The beautiful Boardwalk at night!

ImageUploadedByForums1447985753.819441.jpg.2884166f86e51651d1409151f3b1e31b.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447981714.574197.jpg.d3e464bd68d1ad163c973a62303e472f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447981815.167268.jpg.2e9d9de3fa0ea244914249a3b9f15dce.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447981957.836904.jpg.19d8965b0100518ab34d277a2a736bd8.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447981975.121105.jpg.faafdc886414bd4106fa956d6633654e.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447981988.557900.jpg.f08f5e48e427bd85f0474943a9684c60.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447982122.742220.jpg.4007f98db481959a1eaca491db0c7bf2.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447982712.326825.jpg.851d486650111cff27369f1f34c3fdfc.jpg

Edited by Sherri914

Hi all from the beautiful Oasis of the Seas. We are currently heading back to Ft Lauderdale and this has been one rough cruise. We saw weather reports the week before this cruise calling for rain and thunderstorms in every port of call scheduled for this week. And we didn't have a drop of rain in any port.

We arrived at Pier 18 at 11:15am. Checked in immediately - no waiting - and walked straight into the ship. Rooms opened at 1pm.

We're in a boardwalk balcony (12725). Great view. No issue with noise for us. Shows end early enough that the noise when the balcony door is closed wasn't an issue. Great view of the theater and the wake. As I'm writing this, I'm on my balcony watching MI - Rogue Nation.

[ATTACH]369091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]369092[/ATTACH]

Day 1, nice sail away without any rain but it was windy. First night at sea we had rain and the Oasis of Dreams show was canceled.

Day 2, Nassau - in my opinion only (YMMV) - is not a stop I would ever get off the ship for again. We saw a dirty port, and at one point a man (a local) followed us to the point that we were uncomfortable and ducked into a jewelry store. He was chased out of the store and proceeded to wait for us outside. Not a good scene. We got away and headed back to the ship.

Day 3, Sea - lovely day without rain but it was super windy. Crew were even commenting about the high winds and saying they hadn't seen it this windy in a very long time.

Day 4, St Thomas - another beautiful, clear day. We spent the day at Hull Bay. I highly recommend this for beginner snorkeling. We used STSSA and they were wonderful. Secluded beach.

[ATTACH]369093[/ATTACH]

And we saw the famous iguana on the island of course.

[ATTACH]369094[/ATTACH]

Day 5, St Maarten - once again, clear and sunny. We booked Tour 2 with Bernard's and had "Mailman" as our guide. Fantastic day. We went to Orient Beach, Marigot, and Maho. I can't recommend this tour enough. Excellent.

[ATTACH]369095[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]369096[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]369097[/ATTACH]

And as an added bonus, we docked beside the beautiful Anthem of the Seas

[ATTACH]369098[/ATTACH]

Day 6 (and 7), Sea - the temperature was perfect today, sun was shining, but wow - the seas were rolling. The wind is hitting us squarely on the starboard side and it's rocking to the point that the waiters were stumbling a bit. We watched the 3D movie today and felt the ship rocking like crazy the whole time. It's supposed to be the same or worse tomorrow as far as the wind. We ate in the MDR this morning for breakfast and had to look away from the window we were sitting near because it was making us both sick seeing the rolling waves.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

Ship Condition - The ship is in beautiful condition, as always. There were the occasional odd smells here or there but to me the seemed more on the mildew side than sewage. I attribute it to damp, humid Caribbean weather. And nothing that would make me downgrade the overall feel of cleanliness. In fact we both noticed and commented on how clean the ship is. There is always someone cleaning.

Sercice - Service by cabin steward was outstanding, as always. We had requested a fan for our room ahead of time, but it wasn't noted apparently. He had one in our cabin by Day 2.

Dining - No specialty dining for us. We did MDR, Windjammer, and Room Service for dinner. No formal nights for us. The Windjammer serves lobster on first formal night, and crab legs on second formal night if anyone is interested. The lobster was rubbery with little taste. The crab legs were soggy (frozen then thawed). Two thumbs down for both of those items but pretty much everything else we ate was tasty. And for those who enjoy sugar free desserts, try the SF Berry Tart. That is really great! Oh, and for those looking for the old fan fave Honey Stung Chicken, it's on the room Sercice menu and it's the actual chicken breast - not the frozen pressed chicken patty they were doing for a while.

Bar Service - We had bought the premium package in advance then canceled it. We had $225 OBC to start the week with. It's the evening of Day 6 and our bill is now $206. So glad we canceled the package. We have not limited ourselves at all. If we wanted a drink, we got it. We also bought 3 bottles of liquor to take home as gifts. And I bought the Internet package starting on day 3. And even with all that, we're still only at $206 due. Bar service was excellent. We never had an issue getting drinks. Here and there we tipped in cash in addition to the automatic 18%. But we never had trouble getting a drink at any time.

VOOM Internet - I bit the bullet on Day 3. With our discount, the total for the remainder of the cruise was $67.50. It has worked flawlessly the entire week. I've used it to text, stream Netflix, check email... No problems at all. Very fast, and I'll never cruise without it again! I don't cruise to sit in the room streaming movies, but the tv service is so bad now (only 2 watchable channels pretty much) I enjoyed having the ability to watch shows or movies in the evening.

This has been an amazing cruise - as always - and after docking beside Anthem, we have her in our sites now for a future cruise.

And one last shot to leave you with ... The beautiful Boardwalk at night!

[ATTACH]369100[/ATTACH]

With so much to do and see on the Oasis you have time to watch shows and movies on a device???

With so much to do and see on the Oasis you have time to watch shows and movies on a device???

When I'm getting ready, when we're in the cabin for the night and not quite ready for bed, when we're sitting on the balcony... Times like that, yes, I enjoy streaming a movie I've been wanting to see or watching tv. We've been on Oasis before. We've seen all the shows. We have explored the ship. We came to relax, so we tend to stay on our balcony more than wandering around as much.

Edited by Sherri914

You can request a fan in your room? lol I didn't know that.

You can! It's requested as a "special needs". We also requested distilled water for my husbands CPAP machine. We always ask for a fan. Sometimes it's a standing one, sometimes a box fan, this time it's a table top style.

Hi Sherri914,

Did you make a travel list/inventory list for this cruise? I believe you had one several years ago. I used it and my TA was impressed with it as I changed it for my cruise, but I seemed to have misplaced it.

Hi Sherri914,

Did you make a travel list/inventory list for this cruise? I believe you had one several years ago. I used it and my TA was impressed with it as I changed it for my cruise, but I seemed to have misplaced it.

I did. And I can email it to you when I get back to my office. I don't have it stored on my phone. Email me at sgeithman@hudginscontracting.com and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Hope you were able to enjoy. That's rough with the boat rocking and stuff as it's not like you can go somewhere to escape it.

We're doign the same ports as you. Scary about Nassau. (We're doing a ship excursion to Blue Lagoon so am not worried in our case).

Have been researching St Thomas and never heard of Hull Bay. It was nice?

Have only heard about good things of Bernard's Tour, and thinking of doing it ourselves (just want to see if we want a more laid back day...or one where we're on a schedule and go-go-go).

Thanks for posting. A shame about the weather.

Sherri, thanks for the observations, and I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise. We were on the Oasis two weeks ago for the 10/31 cruise and had a bit of an iffy weather forecast as well, but ended up having calm seas for almost the entire week and very little daytime rain (enough to allow for some nice double-rainbow pics). I'm with you about Nassau, we're staying on the ship next time. Also agree about Bernard's. In St. Maarten we did a private Bernard's tour for just six of us and it was excellent.

I hope you have calmer seas today for your Day 7!

Bill

When I'm getting ready, when we're in the cabin for the night and not quite ready for bed, when we're sitting on the balcony... Times like that, yes, I enjoy streaming a movie I've been wanting to see or watching tv. We've been on Oasis before. We've seen all the shows. We have explored the ship. We came to relax, so we tend to stay on our balcony more than wandering around as much.

I did the same on my recent Allure cruise. I woke up every day around 5am and would watch Hulu on my balcony as the sun rose. It was perfect!

I never was able to access Netflix though, it would never load the whole way :(

FYI, no need to quote an entire message that is very long, it's a waste of bandwidth and most of us already read the original post. 👌

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

Thanks for the heads up on this, may take bonine ahead of time after all. The wave height forecast I've always used (and had been good indicator of ship movement in past) doesn't seem appropriate for oasis. I'm now looking at wind forecasts that do look high and anticipating some movement bc ship so tall. It looks like western sailing will mainly be headed into the wind. Do you know if all directions affected your sailing or if hitting at an angle made it worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, no need to quote an entire message that is very long, it's a waste of bandwidth and most of us already read the original post. 👌

How YOU doin there MotorMan! :cool: Long time no see.

I did the same on my recent Allure cruise. I woke up every day around 5am and would watch Hulu on my balcony as the sun rose. It was perfect!

I never was able to access Netflix though, it would never load the whole way :(

Hopefully you wear headphones...

How YOU doin there MotorMan! :cool: Long time no see.

Lol, doing well. Did you get married yet? Hope you are safe and doing well in your job. Again, as always thank you for your service. Ps I still have pictures of that Halloween parade!

Mke

Edited by Motorman23

No. I obviously blared it loudly for the whole world to hear. [emoji52]

Of course I wore headphones. Have a seat.

I think you need to take a seat... Easy there.. Why so jumpy? Layoff off the sugar and caffeine. What are you on your 10th soda today?

Edited by CaribSailor

For the record, I was wearing my Solo Beats headphones so I didn't disturb anyone. LOL. But... I will tell you what was a little disturbing was the overwhelming smell of weed wafting up from two floors below. Now they were definitely enjoying their balcony.

For those who are interested, weather on day 7 has been glorious. Sunny day with calm seas. Very little motion felt today.

As for the Hull Bay, it is a very small, secluded beach great for snorkeling. A little tour company called St Thomas Scuba and Snorkel Adventures (STSSA) run snorkel excursions on the beach there - or you can book a boat snorkel adventure thru them - and they also offer board rental, etc. There's a small restaurant steps away that offers local favorites. The beach break getaway is what we booked. $65/person and it included the gear if you needed it and refreshments throughout the day. These folks couldn't have been nicer.

Edited by Sherri914

Probably a crazy question but any idea how high the winds were in mph when felt a lot of rocking? It looks like next cruise will have some sailing time in the light green zone at its worst, which the chart shows as 23-28 mph. According to windfinder forecast.

Probably a crazy question but any idea how high the winds were in mph when felt a lot of rocking? It looks like next cruise will have some sailing time in the light green zone at its worst, which the chart shows as 23-28 mph. According to windfinder forecast.

20+ yesterday, but I think the problem was that the wind was hitting us dead on the starboard side pretty much the whole day.