New to X - Can OBC be used to pay tips?

mackjack9139

Hello! I am considering booking a 7 night and looking at the "perks" options. Definitely want the beverage package, and don't want internet - looking to detach. Other two perk options are $150pp OBC or gratuities which come to about 100pp. Is there any reason we can't get the $150pp OBC and once on ship use it to pay gratuities, leaving $50 OBC left?

It seems like unless a cruise is very long the OBC is always going to be a better "deal"?

Related, can we use OBC to upgrade the beverage package?

Thank you!

Hello! I am considering booking a 7 night and looking at the "perks" options. Definitely want the beverage package, and don't want internet - looking to detach. Other two perk options are $150pp OBC or gratuities which come to about 100pp. Is there any reason we can't get the $150pp OBC and once on ship use it to pay gratuities, leaving $50 OBC left?

It seems like unless a cruise is very long the OBC is always going to be a better "deal"?

Thank you!

You can use the OBC for pretty much anything, upgrading beverage package or tips.

Thank you!

I assume you are sailing alone since tips for two people in a regular cabin for a 7 day cruise are $189.

Thank you!

Yes you can.

Thank you!

Yes. OBC is credited to your account and it is applied to your purchases.

Yep, for a regular cabin, for a sailing of 11 days or less you are better off with the OBC, for 12 days or more the gratuities equal more than $150 pp so the gratuities are a better deal. It's a shame on the longer cruises that the OBC is calculated per cruise and not per day; works out great for 7 days or less though!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finding a TA that will cover gratuities is fairly easy. That way you 'pay' for 2 perks but really get 3. On a 7 day cruise it's typically much cheaper than paying for Go Best. Especially if internet isn't important to you this would be the best route to go.

On the 7 day I was looking at, the difference between 2 perks and 4 is $615. Find a TA that covers your gratuities, even upgrade your drink package for ~$160 total and you still come out $465 ahead and free up your $300 OBC. Minus the internet of course.

We're sailing on the Equinox for a 10-nighter in October and booking through a well-known TA, we're getting the classic drinks package, pre-paid gratuities AND $300 OBC. In fact, for a loyalty bonus, we're getting an additional $50 OBC!

Just to clarify, I know on NCL, non-refundable OBC (usually provided by the the cruise line) can NOT be used for gratuities, only the refundable type can. Is this not the case with X?

Just to clarify, I know on NCL, non-refundable OBC (usually provided by the the cruise line) can NOT be used for gratuities, only the refundable type can. Is this not the case with X?

Not the case with X. Your daily gratuities will be charged to your account and your obc will offset that.