Solstice Shore Excursion Accident in New Zealand

mahdnc

Hope those injured recovers soon.
Yes, very sad and tragic. Hope for a speedy recovery for all. Appreciate these clippings and details. We remember the very challenging roads around the port. Below are a few of my pictures to illustrate the nature of the "twists and turns" in this area, its scenic location, etc. More on my full live/blog.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in OhioEnjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,699 views for this posting.

These three pictures gives a sampling for Akaroa, its scenic harbor and nearby areas. BUT, it takes time to get out of here, including to navigate the twisting, slow roads. And, getting back, too!! Notice the "truth-in-advertising" sign about the many "S-curves" ahead. The third picture was taken as we were sailing out after an enjoyable day in this region. Lots of visual interest and NZ natural charm in this region.:

Akoroa1_zpsd2d7c732.jpg

Akoroa11_zps5b0b5e31.jpg

Akoroa13_zps9728b3da.jpg

We're currently on the Solstice. In the local Akora news a witness said the tour bus crossed the center white line. Not hard to do since there are many tight turns especially for a big bus. The report also said that two of the passengers in the car were in critical condition. We were suppose to depart at 4:30pm (or close to that). The captain announced the accident about 7 as an explanation of our late departure. The word we got the next day was all passengers were released from the hospital except a few that needed a little more observation. Celebrity had some crew directed to the hospital where they were to stay with the passengers until they were released. The passengers then had the opportunity to continue their cruise or go home. I don't know how many chose to go home if any. We were to pick up the passengers this morning in Milford sound though I don't know how that happened because we did not dock there. Perhaps they were ferried to us in the early. I just don't know. This information is as I understand it. If I've made any mistakes I apologize. I hate speculations.

Kathleen

We're currently on the Solstice. In the local Akora news a witness said the tour bus crossed the center white line. Not hard to do since there are many tight turns especially for a big bus. The report also said that two of the passengers in the car were in critical condition. We were suppose to depart at 4:30pm (or close to that). The captain announced the accident about 7 as an explanation of our late departure. The word we got the next day was all passengers were released from the hospital except a few that needed a little more observation. Celebrity had some crew directed to the hospital where they were to stay with the passengers until they were released. The passengers then had the opportunity to continue their cruise or go home. I don't know how many chose to go home if any. We were to pick up the passengers this morning in Milford sound though I don't know how that happened because we did not dock there. Perhaps they were ferried to us in the early. I just don't know. This information is as I understand it. If I've made any mistakes I apologize. I hate speculations.

Kathleen

Correction: Passengers were picked up in Milford sound this evening.