Flying into Shanghai, sailing out of Shanghai port - advice please

The Odd Couple

Can anyone tell me what additional documentation has to be shown at immigration in Shanghai if you want to take advantage of the 72-hour visa exemption. I don't know if what I have read regarding the rules apply to cruise passengers. We are flying into Shanghai from London, overnight Shanghai, then sailing out on Connie to arrive Abu Dhabi some time later. Any info greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out here with all the conflicting advice I've been receiving. Thanks for your help.

The attached link will take you to the China Travel Guide which details all of the different transit without visa options.

I don't believe the 72 hour option is applicable, as the description seems to imply it is only available for an aircraft to aircraft transit.

There is a 24 hour direct transit option which specifically mentions cruise ship departures, which can be linked off the 72 hour page.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

I would recommend you familiarize yourself with the different options and contact the Chinese Embassy in London for clarification

Thanks very much for your advice. I have emailed the Chinese Embassy in London but they have only directed me to sections on their website (which I have already read) rather than a personal reply. A visa here, if applied for via an agency, would cost around $500 per person, so if I can avoid that I'd be very happy!

Can anyone tell me what additional documentation has to be shown at immigration in Shanghai if you want to take advantage of the 72-hour visa exemption. I don't know if what I have read regarding the rules apply to cruise passengers. We are flying into Shanghai from London, overnight Shanghai, then sailing out on Connie to arrive Abu Dhabi some time later. Any info greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out here with all the conflicting advice I've been receiving. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

With regard to visa free entry you can avail of the 72/144hour rule arriving by air and leaving by cruise ship however there are rules. You are starting your journey in country A London arriving in country B China then leaving by cruise ship this is the crucial bit you must be going to a third country e.g Korea you cannot sail to another part of China e.g Beijing this would prevent the use of the transit visa. Similarly even if you travelled to Korea and then back to China this too would prevent the use of the transit visa rule. This is a large pain the butt as we are doing the China- Korea- Japan cruise. However do check with the Chinese Embassy as visa rules can change. Enjoy your trip

Harry

Thanks very much for your advice. I have emailed the Chinese Embassy in London but they have only directed me to sections on their website (which I have already read) rather than a personal reply. A visa here, if applied for via an agency, would cost around $500 per person, so if I can avoid that I'd be very happy!

I did a bit more research into this - our son and D-I-L live in China and we have visited several times and always see some commotion at immigration where the travellers interpretation of the rules is different than the "official" Chinese interpretation - and it appears that all TWVO are eligible for transit to cruise ships.

The only restriction appears your travel cannot be inbound from country "A", and then your first cruise port after leaving Shanghai is back in country "A" again. Are you flying direct from London? What is your first cruise port after Shanghai? Hong Kong is considered a different region and is fine. As long as the before and after country aren't the same it appears all is good.

This is interesting for me as we are ending a cruise in Hong Kong in Feb '19 and will stop in to visit with son and D-I-L, before returning to Canada; however, we will probably stay for about 10 days, and as you say the Visa fee gets a bit expensive.

A couple for links with additional information.

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40

Thanks very much for your advice, although I can't pick up the links you sent - apologies. At this moment in time we don't have flights as they are out of range, but will be flying London/Shanghai, board Connie at Shanghai, next port Hong Kong. So I'm assuming this will be OK under the "rules"!

You will need to show proof (confirmation of cruise showing all names) that you will be leaving Shanghai to another country within the time. Since your next stop is Thailand that is all you need. You will be given a small card to complete before immigration.

We just did the same thing (just the other way around) in October. We arrived by cruise and left China within the transit time.

I can take a picture of the card later when I am back home.

I thought the Chinese visa took the first port of call as the final destination. There was the case here on CC recently where two couples were in Japan, wanted to fly to Shanghai to join a cruise where the first port of call was to be Okinawa.

The airline refused to allow them to board as they would have been in violation of the visa requiements, 72 or 144 hour types (in that the last country before landing in China and the first country after leaving China - first port of call, cannot be the same country.

The two couples, in question, missed thwe first two days of the cruise and joined the ship in Okinawa.

I thought the Chinese visa took the first port of call as the final destination. There was the case here on CC recently where two couples were in Japan, wanted to fly to Shanghai to join a cruise where the first port of call was to be Okinawa.

The airline refused to allow them to board as they would have been in violation of the visa requiements, 72 or 144 hour types (in that the last country before landing in China and the first country after leaving China - first port of call, cannot be the same country.

The two couples, in question, missed thwe first two days of the cruise and joined the ship in Okinawa.

They could have easily known that... the transit rule is based on a three country system. Coming from country A, transit within 72/144 hours in Shanghai (or some other cities) which counts as country B, leaving to a third country C.

Coming from Japan and leaving to Okinawa (Japan) again simply does not work as Okinawa is not a third country.

In The OPs case flying in from London (has to be a direct flight or no stops within China), transiting in Shanghai within the time frame and leaving to Hong Kong (according to post #8) involves three countries - since Hong Kongs counts as a third country although it is China. Hong Kong is special. It is complicated.

I am just puzzled because all the cruises I can find on Constellation leaving from Singapore to Abu Dhabi show Phuket as first stop - which makes it even clearer.

Edited by Miaminice

Here´s a pretty good explanation:

What Are the Conditions?

If you want to enjoy the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, you need to meet relevant qualifying criteria, as detailed below:

- You must be in transit to a third country or region (Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are regarded as a third region in terms of transit issues). For example, USA–Shanghai–Taiwan is acceptable for a 144-hour transit visa in Shanghai but an application for USA–Shanghai–USA is not.

- Your transit time is no more than 144 hours.

- You enter and leave from one of the eligible ports of entry. Your arrival port and departure port can be different. For example, you can arrive in Shanghai and leave from Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.

- You can travel around Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Guangdong within 144 hours but you are not permitted to go to other provincial level areas in China.

What Documents Are Needed?

- You need to provide the documents listed below to apply for the 144-hour visa-free transit:

- Valid passport

- onward tickets to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat

- Visa for a third country/region (if needed)

- Arrival and departure cards (completely filled in)

144-Hour Transit in 6 Steps

1) Inform your carrier of your intent to use a 144-hour visa-free transit at the check-in.

2) Fill in the arrival and departure card form.

3) After disembarking, follow the signposts within the inspection areas to locate the dedicated lanes for 144-hour visa-exemption transit passengers.

4) Show your tickets, passport, and China arrival card at the inspection area. Tell the immigration officer that you wish to transit without a visa.

5) After clearing immigration, claim your luggage and go through customs as normal.

6) Leave from a designated port before midnight on the sixth full day. There is nothing different from leaving China normally. Hand over your completed departure card at the security inspection.

Miaminice - just to muddy the waters! We don't have flight details as this was an add-on package by our t/a and there is no guarantee we would have direct flights. Would you happen to know if we were allocated indirect flights from London, for example London/Hong Kong/Shanghai if we would still use the 144 visa rule? Thanks again for your help.

Miaminice - just to muddy the waters! We don't have flight details as this was an add-on package by our t/a and there is no guarantee we would have direct flights. Would you happen to know if we were allocated indirect flights from London, for example London/Hong Kong/Shanghai if we would still use the 144 visa rule? Thanks again for your help.

Sure, Hong Kong would not be a problem since Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are regarded as a third region in terms of transit issues. Any other stop outside China would also not be a problem. A stop within China (Beijing, for example) would not work.

Sure, Hong Kong would not be a problem since Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are regarded as a third region in terms of transit issues. Any other stop outside China would also not be a problem. A stop within China (Beijing, for example) would not work.

Not sure this will qualify. In post #8 OddCouple indicated the first port of call after leaving Shanghai would be Hong Kong, would not be able to fly in from HK and then have it as first port of call..........

Not sure this will qualify. In post #8 OddCouple indicated the first port of call after leaving Shanghai would be Hong Kong, would not be able to fly in from HK and then have it as first port of call..........

Indeed, that would be a problem.

I still had Phuket in mind as first stop.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I could use the 144 hour rule, but maybe you guys can confirm.

1. USA flight to Shanghai (possibly with a change of planes in Hong Kong or direct from USA).

2. Stay in Shanghai 2-3 nights.

3. 8 night cruise from Shanghai (Baoshan Port). All stops are in Japan.

4. Return to Shanghai by cruise ship.

5. Flight to USA (again, possibly with change of planes in Hong Kong or possibly direct to USA).

Does the 144 hour exemption work under these circumstances?

1. USA flight to Shanghai (possibly with a change of planes in Hong Kong or direct from USA).

5. Flight to USA (again, possibly with change of planes in Hong Kong or possibly direct to USA).

The 1-2-3 and 3-4-5 transits would seem to each qualify independently. My only question is whether or not there is any time restriction regarding your second entry when you return to China. If I were you I would do some additional research.

Beware! Most of the answers you will receive will be from US citizens. The requirements may not be the same. When we sailed from Shanghai, the photograph sizes required were different for UK and US passenger. Difficult to believe but true. When I applied for our visas, I saw many people who had not followed the regulations to the letter and were, therefore, not going to get their visa in time.

Certainly, in 2016, the visa waiver programme did not apply to cruise ship passengers for UK citizens. Requirements change all the time. This may have changed but the change may apply to some citizens and not others. The prices for visas also depended on your nationality. Those whose countries charged more for visas for Chinese to visit their country paid more for their visa.

The best advice is to study the official visa requirement information in minute detail and not to hope that advice you receive from others is correct.

PS Apologies, I see that most of the advice has not been from the USA but I still stress that you need to check the latest information for your nationality. Different nationalities are treated differently and regulations change all the time.

We are US citizens. We did a Hong Kong to Shanghai cruise on Millie this time last year with 5 nights in Hong Kong and 5 nights at Shanghai Disney. I looked into the 144 hour visa. I think we could have used it, but in the end it just was not worth it to us. So we got the 10 year Chinese Visa. We enjoyed our cruise so much that we booked it again for March 2018. The March cruise does 3 nights in Beijing. The last time we were in Beijing was 2007. Last year the cruise went south and this year the cruise on Millie goes north.

Years ago before you could fly into China from the US we would fly to Hong Kong and use a service that would pick up our passports in the evening and come back the next day with our Visa for China.

Yes, in you case it works. As long as the change of planes is in Honk Kong and no other Chinese airport.

Be sure to have copies of your flight tickets, cruise confirmation showing the itinerary etc.

• 6 months later...
We are US citizens. We did a Hong Kong to Shanghai cruise on Millie this time last year with 5 nights in Hong Kong and 5 nights at Shanghai Disney. I looked into the 144 hour visa. I think we could have used it, but in the end it just was not worth it to us. So we got the 10 year Chinese Visa. We enjoyed our cruise so much that we booked it again for March 2018. The March cruise does 3 nights in Beijing. The last time we were in Beijing was 2007. Last year the cruise went south and this year the cruise on Millie goes north.

Years ago before you could fly into China from the US we would fly to Hong Kong and use a service that would pick up our passports in the evening and come back the next day with our Visa for China.

Hi there,

I believe we will be on the same cruise, in March 2019! Can I contact you for advice? Thanks.

Nancy