Bird flew into my Cabin!

Has anyone ever had a bird fly into their cabin? I was on Enchantment a couple of weeks ago and at 12:30 at night (it was pitch black out there) a bird flew into the cabin.

It was wicked crazy, causing a lot of laughs. Ended up flying into the hallway where walking passengers were shocked. The RCL employee seemed stunned that it was onboard...just wondering if this kind of excitement is rare?

Has anyone ever had a bird fly into their cabin? I was on Enchantment a couple of weeks ago and at 12:30 at night (it was pitch black out there) a bird flew into the cabin.

It was wicked crazy, causing a lot of laughs. Ended up flying into the hallway where walking passengers were shocked. The RCL employee seemed stunned that it was onboard...just wondering if this kind of excitement is rare?

Another reason why you should never leave your balcony doors open at night (or probably in the daytime).

Question: how far from land was the ship at the time this happened?

I only ask because, in my experience, it is rare to see very many birds around a cruie ship when you are far out in the sea or ocean.

Dianne

Question: how far from land was the ship at the time this happened?

I only ask because, in my experience, it is rare to see very many birds around a cruie ship when you are far out in the sea or ocean.

Dianne

On my last cruise this year heading to Miami from Jamaica, no land in sight, as i sat on my balcony, i watched a bird fly alongside our ship for about an hour, until it spotted a cargo ship headed in the opposite direction and made a bee line for it. That was the last I saw of it.

But i wondered HOW it could have made it all the way out here, unless it was a stowaway onboard our ship?

The bird will cause you all kinds of problems when you go through Customs.

how about for the bird when IT has to go thru customs and immigration (probably without a passport too!)

we had a bird flying along wth us on our alaska cruise, and there was no land in sight at the time......

We've had a fly hitch a ride from San Juan to St. Thomas aboard the Serenade of the Seas. It was buzzing about and wouldn't leave until the next port - St. Thomas. Don't know why we thought that was so funny.:confused: :)

Same thing happened to us onboard Freedom last April. It was annoying, but pretty funny at the same time. Damn thing wouldn't fly out the balcony door until we arrived at the next port!

Ok Thanks a lot. I am actually terrified of birds. Don't ask me why. It is one of those "irrational fear" things. I always open and close the balcony doors everywhere including at home. I always just assume a bird will fly in if I leave it open. I even have had to leave the beach when the seagulls get in the dive bomb mode which they do when the see or think they see food.

On my last cruise this year heading to Miami from Jamaica, no land in sight, as i sat on my balcony, i watched a bird fly alongside our ship for about an hour, until it spotted a cargo ship headed in the opposite direction and made a bee line for it. That was the last I saw of it.

But i wondered HOW it could have made it all the way out here, unless it was a stowaway onboard our ship?

Only time I've seen a wild bird onboard a ship while we were far from land was on X Horizon a few years ago. Bird actually looked like a sparrow and was huddling underneath the drink stations out on the Lido deck. It was obviously scared to death.

We were far, far from land at the point and can't imagine how the bird got there or from where it came. Obviously the bird couldn't figure it out either. Bird just wandered around the floor of the Lido deck for a day or so and then disappeared. I figure it didn't enjoy our cruise and the company and finally got it's flight wings again.

Dianne

I am so glad that I never leave the balcony door open (can't because of the kids...lol)

Isn't that bad luck when a bird flies into the house? It means death. Maybe that's an old Italian wives tale...lol. ;)

Edited to say, yep I found it ;)

BIRD

A bird in the house is a sign of a death. If a robin flies into a room through a window, death will shortly follow. :eek:

I am so glad that I never leave the balcony door open (can't because of the kids...lol)

Isn't that bad luck when a bird flies into the house? It means death. Maybe that's an old Italian wives tale...lol. ;)

Edited to say, yep I found it ;)

BIRD

A bird in the house is a sign of a death. If a robin flies into a room through a window, death will shortly follow. :eek:

Had a bird fly into our house once. Landed in our furnace via our chimney. Can honestly said that it was bad luck for the bird. DH was out of town at the time. I was alone with two small children here in the house. It was summertime.

Called a neighbor across the street (old enough to be my mother) and asked her what to do. She came over with a big sheet in her hands and said to open the door on the furnace and she would catch it.

After seeing and hearing the commotion inside the furnace, neighbor called her husband who was at work and we took his advice.

Had we been in the mood for squab that night, we could have had a gourmet dinner. Amazing what turning up the thermostat can do.

Still have nightmares about what we did.

Dianne

No birds, but we did have an enormous (as big as a man's hand) grasshopper on the balcony once. Not your usual Texas born grasshopper. Very colorful wings when they were folded out. It disappeared, then returned the next day. Sorry to say it had passed on though.

Heavens, I hope not. I have chimney swifts roosting every year in our house. This thread made me realize I haven't heard them today, so perhaps they've finally decided to migrate.

Oh, that was mean, the poor bird!

I was on carnival once and a bird came in the windjammer and one of the staff caught it and let it go outside, it stayed by the ship all the way to Tampa and then I saw it flying away when we docked!

Last trip last year, same thing way out in the middle of the ocean saw another bird and was flying in and around the ship, but only saw it a a few times , so not sure what happened to it, so I would say it is common.

We had a bird fly into our suite on the Disney Magic. He landed on my sons bunk and then decided he didn't like the decor and immediately flew out. My DH won't let me keep the balcony door opened anymore. :(

We have seen all types of birds on our cruises. Two cruises ago, a seagull hitched a ride for a couple of days. He stayed near our deck chairs. On this last cruise, a little sparrow landed in the shallow pool water, during rough seas and I was afraid it would drown. He went under the pool waves a couple of times and just as I was about to go save him, he finally flew off to find a dry spot under the outdoor tables. ;)

Archived