LIVE from the Voyager

Travelcat2

ALL the menu's are back -- salt-free -- simplicity, etc. Dined at Prime 7 again -- DH enjoyed it more. It was the same for me -- good -- not excellent (he had a filet -- I had Maine lobster).

Will check back in the morning. Suggest you don't read my post on another thread or I'll get bashed all over again. In the mood I am in, it won't bother me (note: no chocolate martini's -- only some wine);)

I also read your other post TC. Am in total agreement about the kid situation and certainly hope this problem is resolved before my AK cruise next June. I don't want to be over run by alot of bored children, nor do I want my cruise to be over sold. Really, what is Regent thinking.

ALL the menu's are back -- salt-free -- simplicity, etc. (note: no chocolate martini's -- only some wine);)

Interesting abut the menus. We were onbaord August 14 - 21, just a few weeks ago, and there was no degustation menu; the simplicity menu was gone (but the items were merely moved to the main menu page rather than on the back;) salt free was there. But no degustation. Maybe they put it on just for you? =)

The "not so good news" first. . . . . .for those of you hoping that Chef Cornel will be on board in December........ he will be on vacation:(

The crew is absolutely amazing -- I cannot say this enough times. I had a discussion with a dining room manager today about service since Regent was sold to Apollo. She explained how difficult it was training new employees with such different background. It took months. . . .but, finally everyone seems to be happy and in tune with each other. Another issue seems to be the agency where the Philippine employees are hired from. There was a great deal of dissatisfaction that the agency they had been with (and liked) was changed. This, too, has been accepted.

Just returned from lunch in La Veranda. My experience when we first boarded the ship (2:30 in the afternoon) has not repeated itself at all. The employees recognize you and are eager to serve.

It may be my imagination.....but, I thought there was a pasta bar in La Veranda at lunch. I know there is one on the other two ships. . . . . . there isn't one currently on the Voyager. I'm a pasta lover and do miss it.

Le Cordon Bleu. . . . . what a fun experience (in spite of how HOT it is around the cooking areas). Today we made a chocolate dessert tart of some kind. All 9 of us seem to be dashing around the kitchen, trying to help each other and calling for "chef" a lot. It truly does not matter how your dish comes out -- it is delightful experience just preparing it. Chef Gilles classes run long (closer to 3 hours each instead of 2). Today we were running up against lunch -- the "real" chefs were trying to get in. It was embarassing to have them enter "our" kitchen with spills everywhere, messes at each station. ... . We are looking forward to our final class where we prepare a three course meal. Then we have group dinners at La Veranda and a "graduation" ceremony followed by dinner in Signatures.

Still haven't found Lynette in La Veranda. Does she only work at night? We have not dined there yet (will do on Monday the 14th).

Another day with no chocolate martini's. If I have one before dinner and then drink wine with dinner, I end up with a headache. So, I have one "normal" martini with lunch and have wine in the evening (not that I expect anyone to care about my drinking habits;).

May pop in to post after dinner. When I post mid-day (which it is right now), you are all still asleep. Looking forward to Lisbon where we have a 5 hour private tour. Should be fun.

bye for now.

What a wonderful thread! Thank you.

Those of us who loved Regent before Apollo, at least, are most interested in your information and reactions. When we were last aboard, members of the crew told us, basically, exactly what you have heard: the changover in staffing was traumatic and took some time; the crew paid a price in morale.

It sounds as if things are getting better.

Do enjoy your cruise, and thanks again for taking the time to share with us.

When I post mid-day (which it is right now), you are all still asleep.

bye for now.

Oh, no, I'm not!!

It is great to have you on the same time frame as me. Usually I get up around 6.30am, make a cup of coffee and sit and read the overnight posts from you all in the US.

Lynette is in Compass Rose for dinner, not La Veranda and there certainly was a pasta bar on Voyager at lunch a couple of months ago (situated where the egg station is at breakfast)

Enjoy Lisbon.

TC, I really enjoyed reading about your experience at the Le Cordon Bleu class. Since I don't cook much I took the class and had so much fun. We made so many fancy things that I would never think of making at home. That galley was so HOT I was dripping in sweat. I felt like I was Lucy in the chocolate factory. My co-cooks finally relegated me too cleaning pots and pans. LOL

TravelCat --

Capt. Dag normally keeps the bridge open during the a.m. and p.m. of sea days. If he is doing so, you can find separate totals for number pax and crew onboard written in grease pencil on a board by the emergency phone on the back wall. It is kept up to date daily.

Enjoying your reports.

Larry

TC, I really enjoyed reading about your experience at the Le Cordon Bleu class. Since I don't cook much I took the class and had so much fun. We made so many fancy things that I would never think of making at home. That galley was so HOT I was dripping in sweat. I felt like I was Lucy in the chocolate factory. My co-cooks finally relegated me too cleaning pots and pans. LOL

I could not agree with you more. I also do not cook (well, occasionally) and am enjoying the course so much. I, too, was dripping in sweat. Still, I am laughing so much, it doesn't matter -- just take a shower afterwards;)

I do have a couple of things to say. We had the "Digustation" menu (still can't spell it) this evening. As I mentioned once, we have two Le Cordon Bleu chefs on board. One does our class and the other does demonstrations for the "Spotlight on Food and Wine". This evening he prepared a special "Digustation" menu which was incredible. I am not a lamb chop lover, however, it was perfect. He also prepared a Compari sorbet that was to die for.

Note: I am not wearing my reading glasses, so, when/if I make typo's, I can't see them.

Chef Cornel requested his next assignment be on the Mariner so he can be on the same ship as his friend and also do the South America cruise. Chef Mike (?) will replace him in late November. He has more experience than Chef Cornel which means more than 6 years.

Okay -- this section is for women. Our wonderful CD is leaving the Voyager. Rumor had it that Lorraine would be on the next segment. Lorraine, as some people know is a super nice redhead. Today, Dennis saw a gorgeous blond and addressed her as our Cruise Director. She promptly gave him a hug. Later on, he saw her again and told her that we'd be on board November 21st, etc. etc. etc. He received another hug. Am I missing something????? I kept looking at her this evening. . . . . she bears very little resemblance to Lorraine. I'll keep attempting to figure this out.

Anyway, our sea day has been loads of fun. I truly wish that our last 6 cruises had been as wonderful as this one. I did learn one thing. When doing a review for CC, don't rate the cruise a "5+". I don't know how I can rate this cruise higher than the last.

On a more serious note. . . . . is it only the Voyager that is so wonderful? I understand that the Navigator has MAJOR problems. The Mariner is a total question mark. I truly hope that every Regent cruise is as enjoyable as this one.

More tomorrow -- after our Lisbon tour. (if I sound a bit high, I'm not -- only had 4-5 glasses of wine):p

Enjoy Lisbon! We had only a few hours there, but loved it!

So I'll prepare for "chef Mike", and a perhaps a blonde bombshell CD?

Enjoy, enjoy...don't know what it is about Voyager, but I like it too!

Perhaps the degustation menus are there because it's a spotlight on food & wine. I know when we did our similar spotlight in 2006 the extra chefs on board produced those menus nightly.

I'm anxious to hear about the private guide in Lisbon and what all you see. Are you just doing what the guide recommends, or did you submit a list of what you want to see?

Have they had the frozen tropical parfait at all at Compass Rose? That is my favorite dessert.

Enjoy Lisbon! We had only a few hours there, but loved it!

So I'll prepare for "chef Mike", and a perhaps a blonde bombshell CD?

Enjoy, enjoy...don't know what it is about Voyager, but I like it too!

Perhaps the degustation menus are there because it's a spotlight on food & wine. I know when we did our similar spotlight in 2006 the extra chefs on board produced those menus nightly.

I bet that explains the addition -- for this cruise -- of the degustation menu, because it was not there three weeks ago. So, in a sense, they DID add it for TC@ =)

Thanks so much for the news and detailed daily updates. Is the Executive Chef Mike Romhild? He was the chef on the Grand Asia Cruise in 2007 and is top notch.

Louise Ross was the assistant cruise director on the same cruise. She's from the UK and was originally a professional dancer. She has lots of energy, was highly visible, and seemed to know a great many of the passengers so I presume she'd been with the line for awhile. I agree that she is warm and well suited to the position.

Lorraine is indeed a red-head. My husband will be thrilled if she is on board as he is secretly in love with her.

Maybe they will keep the degustation menu--Orpington has convinced me to try it. Only problem is I am really trying to eat mostly vegetarian. I will make a couple of exceptions (Dover sole in Prime 7, crab cakes), but I am really trying to be a good girl. So many temptations!

At least wine is good for the heart!

Just have a few minutes, but, will write again after dinner (meaning after a few glasses of wine).

Cruisewoman79 is a lovely, fun person . She is in our Cordon Bleu class . . . She is comparing Regent with many other cruise lines while I am comparing this cruise with my other Voyager cruises. I believe that most of her sailings have been on much arger ships (with the exception of Seabourn which is considerably smaller). There will also be comments (eventually) from Caroldoll who is very much a Crystal fan (note: she just booked a Baltic cruise next year on the Voyager). Still, she has some interesting input on the food.

Rally, of course they added the special menu for me;)

Mike Romhild could be correct. Cornel only gave us his first name, but, did mention that was also German.

I bet he is hugging Louise Ross (and we don't even know her). I'll do some more investigating.

Regarding the bridge being open in the a.m. on sea days. . . . we have one the day after tomorrow. Will try to remember to look for the number of passengers.

Will post a bit later about our day in Lisbon!

TC

I'm anxious to hear about the private guide in Lisbon and what all you see. Are you just doing what the guide recommends, or did you submit a list of what you want to see?

Have they had the frozen tropical parfait at all at Compass Rose? That is my favorite dessert.

Hmmmm, these are good questions. We told our private guide that we wanted to go to Sintra -- see a palace and have a tour of Lisbon. This had to be done in no more than 5 hours. When we arrived in Sintra, we were given the choice between two palaces. One is downtown and is "the best example of Portugese (misspelled, of course) architecture in the country". The other is on top of the mountain -- Pena Palace. The King who designed it had no clue what he was doing and it ended up amazing (obviously we chose that one). Each room and ceiling is completely different. Each part of the palace is different. It is very eclectic (sort of like I am:-)

We spent time walking and shopping in Sintra rather than Lisbon. My DH had so many positive things to say about Lisbon from his visit many, many years ago. It was our opinion, as well as the couple we were with, that the city is not being kept up. Buildings falling apart, too much graffiti, etc. So, we asked to spend very little time in Lisbon. It worked well!

In terms of the dessert in Compass Rose -- have not noticed it, but, will look.

A couple of things that I want to stress again and again and again. My DH and I think we are in the Twilight Zone sometimes. . . . . the service is just too good to be Regent. . . . the food is as well. Also, Regent provided transportation via shuttle in Le Verdon, France, Bilbao, Spain and Lisbon, Portugal. This is quite a perk for those not taking the excursions. Note: This is NOT a "free excursion" cruise.

RachelG will be on board after us. Can't wait to hear her reports. There are also several of us on either the Capetown to Rio cruise in November or the Rio to Ft. Lauderdale cruise in December. CC'ers will no doubt be inundated with Voyager information.

Tomorrow is Cadiz. . . . it's Sunday so the town will be pretty much closed. We look forward to sleeping late in the morning and just relaxing. Although this not an overly port intensive cruise, we seem to be busy much of the time. Perhaps it is the cooking class we are taking.

One more thing. . . . the guest Chef prepared some special dishes again in Compass Rose. So, we still have two Le Cordon Bleu Chefs in addition to our Signatures Chef and VERY sexy Head Chef:) (Rally: it's fine if you think they have done this just for me:p)

My DH and I think we are in the Twilight Zone sometimes. . . . . the service is just too good to be Regent. . . . the food is as well.

What a strange comment. I would have hoped to hear that it would have been twilight zone like to have had BAD service and food!!

Host Dan

What a strange comment. I would have hoped to hear that it would have been twilight zone like to have had BAD service and food!!

Host Dan

People often get what they expect, and when they don't it is a "Twilight Zone" moment.

Archived