LIVE from the Voyager

Travelcat2

2. Update: Captain Dag and Ray Solaire leaving the Voyager for vacation in October. Captain Dag being replaced by an Italian Captain that also replaced him last year. Lorraine will be taking over for Ray Solaire.

3. Heidsek Monopole champagne has been replaced with "Jacques Chaput" champagne. Am I the only one who has not heard of this brand? They still have the same "sparking wine" -- you do need to ask for the upgrade (it is complimentary).

I suspect that the Italian Captain will be Captain Alfredo (Alfa) Romeo, also known as " It's me from the bridge", a super character, very approachable and likeable.

Did you work ever out the difference between Lorraine and Louise Ross?

I have never heard of Jacques Chaput champagne either, but at least it is champagne and not cremant de loire.

Only Barcelona and Monte Carlo to go and your withdrawal symptoms will start. Enjoy it all.

It is sad about Barcelona; everybody on CC seems to say it's the worst.

Yes, do watch out in Barcelona. We did a pre-cruise there several years ago and my husband was hit (not literally) on the escalator leaving the subway. Fortunately, he was wearing a money belt and the pickpocket only got a map. Even then we felt violated. It was a team of two, and I knew exactly what was going on the second the man in front of my husband dropped his keys :mad:.

a bit more info.

do her notes match up with your thoughts Tc2?

Lorena Ascencios, head buyer at Astor Wines & Spirits in New York City, has some answers....

Ascencios also cheerfully announced that in her house, sparkling wines are sipped throughout dinner, and that those of us who think of it only for toasts or celebrations are missing the boat. From the hundreds of choices out there, here are five sparklers—two from Champagne, three from other parts of the world—that Ascencios thinks are great wines, at good prices, and here's why she likes them.

2 Champagnes:

2) Jacques Chaput et Fils, Brut Tradition, $29.99

Grape Variety: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir

"Very berried but still dry," and simpler in style than the first, but very well priced. Based on Pinot Noir, it gives rich berry aromas alongside brioche, quince, and pears. A more accessible type of Champagne, it works really well with just about anything salty like aged gruyère or a platter of cured meats. Can easily pair with any poultry and pork too.

excerpted from the Daily Beast: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-08-04/the-official-beverage-of-julia-child/2/

Lots to update today. Thanks ededmd for the information on the champagne. Actually, we do not drink champagne that often and are not as familiar with it as we are with some red wines. It is certainly better than whatever it is that Regent serves when you embark on the ship the first day. I will request the new champagne on our next cruise.

In terms of when Captain Dag and Ray depart, although I will try to ask Ray (he is very popular man), last year they left after our October 3rd (Istanbul to Athens) 7 night cruise. So, I would expect that it would be around that time this year.

Shua--still looking for Lynette -- the is not there in the morning when we are there. The "head" server is Linda. A lovely woman -- we have long talks with her every day. Our only dinner at La Veranda was the incredible private dinner with the Le Cordon Bleu group.

As I mentioned earlier, I planned on not leaving the ship with anything in my hands to go into Barcelona. I asked my DH not to take the video camera. Then, after speaking with some staff, we realized that we needed to use the same kind of caution that we would use in most major cities in the world. So, my money was in a pocket of my pants and pinned shut with a safety pin. Then I made sure that my blouse was long enough to cover the pocket. I took my camera -- the strap was around my wrist at all times.

The biggest thing we did is go to Las Rambla early (around 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.) The majority of the people are not there yet (note: 6 ships in port that carry a total of over 15,000 passengers). Instead of seeing mimes with a large group of people around them (a good place for pickpocketing), we saw the performers putting on their make-up and clothing. It was really interesting to watch. We took pictures -- no one seemed to mind.

The highlight for us was (prepare for a misspelling) La Boqueria market. One of the largest markets we have seen in Europe (Bilboa has a larger one but it is under construction). We saw every type of cheese, meat, fish, vegetables, etc. Picture taking was welcome. All we purchased was some fresh coconut to munch on while walking around.

Stopped at my new favorite department store, Sfera. If you ever see one in your travels (might be only in Spain. . . . their website is http://www.sfera.com). . . stop in -- if only to use their lovely, clean and free restroom. While visiting department stores may not seem like a way to spend any time while in a foreign country, the clothing, shoe and jewelry styles are not the same as in the U.S. or Canada.

Okay -- I'm suppose to be talking about Regent. My last two Regent cruises have left me disappointed in Signatures (although many of my friends still love it). In their defense, last night they prepared a menu dictated by our Le Cordon Bleu Chef -- so, it was different for them. Unfortunately, the service was also very poor. There were only 5 tables of LCB graduates (the restaurant was closed for the private party). . . you would think that this would be easy to handle. One woman at our table for eight was given the wrong entree -- and no one else was served their entree for at least 8 minutes. . . . I would never have imagined Signature's service being that poor after the perfect meal and service we had at La Veranda the previous night. We will try Signatures again tomorrow.

Quick side story. We were given Le Cordon Bleu aprons that we use when we cook. I believe I mentioned previously that they are sent to the laundry and returned the next day. Ours have been missing for 4 days. You would think that a major event had taken place on the ship. Everyone seems to be involved in the search. They traced it to the point of where it was delivered (just not certain to whom it was delivered.). In any event, we appreciate the efforts of Regent. . . . and, have no doubt that we will be receiving new LCB aprons (Wendy: wasn't aware you took the course before. . . . did you prepare the same menu?)

Not to reintroduce the dress code (although I am). . . when Regent lists 1 formal night and 2 informal as they have for this cruise. . . it really is not accurate. In addition to the 2 informal nights, we have had an additional 3 informal nights due to dining in Prime 7 or Signatures. I'm wondering if this means that next year, when informal is no longer in effect, if we would have had 6 "formal" nights on an 11 night cruise.

One of the things I am most happy about (aside from seeing my kitties on Friday) is that we will see many of the wonderful crew members again on our November cruise. The ship is gorgeous - our suite is over the top (even has a bidet). . . . but, it's the people that make the cruise. Their smiling faces and welcoming attitude are incredible.

Tomorrow at noon is Monte Carlo. We are very anxious to see this port. Then, on Friday, we depart the ship at 4:45 a.m. and fly home on Lufthansa (note: many people are leaving the ship extremely early for their flights). I will no doubt give a final update tomorrow.

TC

TC, great that you are overnighting in M-C so you get a chance to do some touring!

As for CB, we hope we don't do the same menus this year as 2006, but would not care so much since it was all such fun. Don't know what your menus were, can't compare.

You have filled me with foreboding about the dress code in Signatures! If it becomes formal, that would be a bummer! You have implied that Prime 7 indeed has the same dress code--jacket required, is this right? We try to "double up", picking a formal night to go to Signatures, but can't always do that, don't want to miss the special menus in CR!

Love your info on sfera, it's great shopping for everyday items in different places, I love it. Just looking at the merchandise that's normal for that area, quite a treat. I remember looking at all the middle-aged women's clothing in Vilnius Lithuania (boy, glad I don't have to wear that stuff!), and the strangely-cut pointy-toed, stylish shoes in Constanta Romania.

Shua--still looking for Lynette -- the is not there in the morning when we are there. The "head" server is Linda. A lovely woman -- we have long talks with her every day. Our only dinner at La Veranda was the incredible private dinner with the Le Cordon Bleu group.

TC

Thanks for the update. If you really want to see Lynette, I reiterate, she is the only Indian Head Waiter in Compass Rose in the evening. She is not in La Veranda other than breakfast and lunch and then not always. I remember Linda and mentioned her in our report card. Your report card will be due soon. So difficult to mention everyone, isn't it?

Thanks for the newsy info.

We are doing Barcelona to Lisbon on Silver Spirit in December, and we are seeing the monkeys at Gibraltar, so I am happy that was worth it. We are arriving one day early in Barcelona and then the ship overnights there, so with the ship, we decided to tour a winery since we can tour around Las Ramblas the previous day (arriving at 9 a.m.). Todd is not going to want to stay out long knowing the risk of being pickpocketed. We are staying on the main drag in a balcony suite just to see out, though I have heard it will get noisy.

Eight minutes for an entree doesn't sound that bad. Did they coordinate the timing of everyone at the table?

Hi TC

I am on the Voyager October 2 (first time on this ship) and cannot thank you enough for taking the time to give us your thoughts. I am counting the days and awaiting your reports with baited breath and a rather large hankering for a taste of those chocolate martinis!! If they have run out I will know who the culprit was. Enjoy it all!!

Hi TC

I am on the Voyager October 2 (first time on this ship) and cannot thank you enough for taking the time to give us your thoughts. I am counting the days and awaiting your reports with baited breath and a rather large hankering for a taste of those chocolate martinis!! If they have run out I will know who the culprit was. Enjoy it all!!

I always thought Charlies Aunt came from Brazil ( you know, where the nuts come from! :))

Welcome to this board!

Eight minutes for an entree doesn't sound that bad. Did they coordinate the timing of everyone at the table?

You're right -- waiting eight minutes for an entree is not bad. It was the fact that one person was served an incorrect entree and had to sit with it in front of her for 8 minutes until the rest of us were served. On this cruise, Compass Rose has been incredible. The service in Francisco's area is efficient and prompt! More manana:)

We leave the ship in 13 hours (4:45 a.m.) This morning I verified names of the some of the crew that I want to make a point to mention on the report card. Also taking some photo's.

Last evening, Compass Rose was exemplary. As I have mentioned many times in the past, the best menu's at Compass Rose are the Captain's Reception night and Captain's farewell. The difficulty with those nights is the hoards of passengers that leave the Captain's event and go directly to CR -- thus creating a back-up. Our server, Francisco, really had to hussle last night. Although service was a bit slower -- he made sure to at least tell us that he would be with us shortly (acknowledging slower service makes such a difference).

On cruises longer than 7 nights, getting reservations at Prime 7 and/or Signatures is not a problem at all. The only thing to consider is the extra nights of the "Informal" dress code. I agree with Wendy's comment. . . . if dining venues that are currently "Informal" become "Formal" next year. . . . well, not a good thing IMO. If anyone has not voted in the poll yet. . . please do so -- no matter which side of the issue you are on.

Want to stress again how calm the seas feel from a mid-ship suite on deck 7 (or deck 6). The seas have been so calm that we have rarely felt a vibration anywhere. Still, this means nothing in terms of the next cruise, or the one after that. Some people have felt that the vibration has to do with cruising speed. We sailed all night at a high rate of speed and other nights very slowly and did not see any difference in terms of vibration.

Want to mention "Sunil". . . he is a server in La Veranda in the morning on the port side (right side as you are entering the restaurant). He is fairly new -- from India -- trained by Linda and will do anything he can to serve you - and, always with a big smile.

The female bartender in the Observation Lounge in the early evening is also very nice as is the male server (have to get his name today).

We had our final trivia is at 10:00 a.m. We have enjoyed that very much (although we do not do very well most of the time -- he keeps asking Harry Potter questions:-)

Once again this morning as I walked through the ship, I kept feeling badly for the new carpeting. The carpet in the Observation Lounge, Horizon Lounge, Signatures, Prime 7 and Compass Rose remains in "new" condition. Perhaps cleaning the carpets so frequently in the public areas is causing the problem.

We were in Monte Carlo this afternoon. . . what an incredible place. There is some kind of yacht show this week. . . the yachts in port are absolutely amazing. The crew tell stories of yachts docking in Monte Carlo, opening the back of the ship and driving their Rolls Royce out and away they go! We went to the Oceanographic museum -- really worth the time. Also walked up to the Palace and around the marina. The weather throughout the trip has been perfect.

This evening we will dine at Signatures with friends, and, as I said, will depart in the morning. Thanks to those of you who have followed this thread -- with all of my typo's and ramblings. I will write final thoughts when we get home.

TC, I have enjoyed reading your postings especially about LCB. I proudly wear my apron and hat when I cook burgers on the grill.:D

As you mentioned it is scary too try another line as we will on the new Seabourn Odyssey next year. I have heard from Regent and Crystal people that we will not be disappointed. Over Christmas we are doing the Amazon on a river boat which in all appearances seems very nice. With that said, I am a bit scared.:eek:

I will say this about Regent, no cruise line can take away the fact that they do have the largest suites at sea.

Too tired for a wrap-up just yet. . . . . got home just a couple of hours ago. This is the last update -- prior to the wrap-up.

I finally figured out why we can't stand Signatures. On our last night, we ordered what we always order there . . . halibut. The first time we dined in Signatures (2006), it was wonderful. Since then it has been barely edible. When it arrived uncooked in the middle, we sent it back and asked for lamb chops instead (excuse me. . . . . "rack of lamb"). They were cooked to perfection and very tender. Guess I was simply ordering the wrong thing all this time.

Disembarkation was a bit of a mess. We received several stories from the staff as to what food would be available for the many guests (a busload full) departing at 4:45 a.m. We heard stories from "send in the breakfast menu and change the time on the top to 4 a.m." to the Coffee Connection will be open, etc. etc. etc. Unless one were satisfied with a leftover cookie, there was nothing available for departing guests.

Flights on Lufthansa, Business Class, were just fine. They are redoing Frankfurt airport, so, it may no longer be the worst airport that we have ever been to. Their new lounge opens in 4 days.

More over the weekend.

It is 3:00 a.m. and jetlag is doing it’s typical thing – not allowing us to sleep when our inner clocks believe it is noon. Thoughts about the cruise replay through my mind, so, perhaps now is the best time to do a wrap-up to our Southampton to Monte Carlo cruise on the Voyager.

Expectations of passengers new to cruising on a 700 luxury passenger ship were very interesting to us and is something we may want to think about when posting on the boards. It was my belief that cruisers who have sailed on mass-market or premium cruise lines would love Regent (or any other luxury cruise line). We learned that, in many cases, the fact that they were going on a ship considerably smaller than they were used to, created expectations that Regent could not meet. There was a couple that loved the Queen Mary and was disappointed in the small dance floors on the Voyager. Another couple imagined that the Voyager would be a smaller version of a mass-market ship and had no idea that smaller ships do not have malls, climbing walls, large show productions, etc. Regent failed to meet their expectations – perhaps because they didn’t think about the fact that size does matter.

Research (or lack thereof) was also a factor. Some passengers simply do not take the time (or do not have the time) to learn a little about the ship they will be sailing on. I have wondered why people start threads like “Seabourn vs. Regent” when all of the information is available on the Seabourn and Regent website. While I am not suggesting that these threads should not be responded to (in fact many people really do need input), I now understand why they are asking and will be posting statistics that I feel may help rather than giving comparisons only on things that are subjective.

Overall, the cruise was excellent.

Food is subjective, however, there is something for just about all tastes. If what you ordered is not prepared the way you like, send it back. Don’t be reluctant to do so. On our last cruise (on the Navigator), I blasted Regent for food presentation and food temperature in La Veranda. There was no issue with that on the Voyager. Prime 7 and Signatures are too difficult to rate. You’ll love them – or not. Compass Rose was 95% perfect (IMO). As mentioned earlier in the thread, the “new” coffee brand is inferior and has been mentioned to Regent by many passengers. Their “afternoon tea” could use some work as well. Regent needs to learn how to make “proper tea” (not put one teabag in a teapot). I cannot imagine what all of the European guests thought of that(?) Side note. . . . the pizza from the pizza station. . . although subjective. . . . it basically sucked!

The ship itself is only worth one word. . . “magnificent”! It looks better than we have ever seen it.

Service was above and beyond what we have experienced in the past. This is not to say that all passengers will feel the same, or even that service is consistent. The fact that we learned of the “perfect” area to dine in Compass Rose from CruiseCritic was wonderful. The service was perfect -- there was simply no reason to dine in any other part of Compass Rose. Plus, you get to know the staff in that area quite well. . . it makes a difference. The same holds true for La Veranda, however, they switch which side of the restaurant will be open at breakfast and/or lunch and there are times we ended up on the side we did not prefer.

Our butler and stewardess were fine – very good service. Some of the staff are simply not kept up to date with what is going on daily. This caused the miscommunication of the disembarkation that left us hungry (which ultimately is a good thing I guess in terms of weight).

Le Cordon Bleu – I would recommend this to anyone. Taking notes in Prime 7 and working in the Signatures kitchen is a blast! Eating the food you cooked before dinner (or lunch) is a challenge. No one was judgmental – if you screwed up (like putting oil in a sauce instead of chicken broth like I did), they laugh with you. I did feel badly for the real cooks who were trying to prepare food around us when our class ran late.

Since our Cruise Director’s contract is up in October, I won’t say much about Ray Solaire other than he is the best CD we have had. He took the time to do trivia with us every day and did it in a way we have not seen before. Plus, he is a very talented man. Lorraine will be on the Voyager sometime in October.

Some words on the ports. . . we loved them – but, at times wished we were in the Eastern rather than Western Med. Regent may want to look at not docking at a port for a full day on Sunday when everything is closed and docking at a vibrant port with lots of great shopping for only 5 hours. I talked with several people who were not happy that we docked at Le Verdon which required a 2 hour each way bus ride to Bordeaux. The few of us who chose not to take the excursions had a wonderful time in a quaint seaside village nearby.

Regent did an exceptional job with their shuttle buses. It was nice to be driven to the center of town and back (in the case of Le Verdon, it was a 20 minute ride through the country to get to the little town). It saved a lot of walking and/or taxi fare.

Cannot comment on Regent excursions as we did not do any. A couple that we know was a bit disappointed with the number of people on the Regent excursions. There were fewer people on her Seabourn excursions (another example of size mattering). We did a private excursion in Lisbon and in Gibraltar – both were excellent.

My jetlagged body is telling me to go back to sleep. It is now 4:00 a.m. There are no doubt things that I missed as well as things that I went on and on about too much. In conclusion, we had a wonderful time, still love Regent and are VERY happy to be back with our feline family.

;)TC

Really great thread, Jackie. Thanks for all the info! I remember reading your similar thread on Navigator last year when we were planning our Navigator TA crossing (May this year). I found all you said to be accurate and fair and although I haven't been on Voyager since she was remodelled I am sure the same holds true for these reports!

Incidentally, I, livign in europe, have the same problem that you encountered in getting on to the CC Boards in the mornings - anyone know why? maintenance??

If I can add, a bit belatedly, some info about champagne? The Champagne area of France in which Champagne can legally be made is huge. Every little village has its own "encaveurs" - people who raise the grapes and bottle them themselves, and then of course there are the big champagne houses like Moët, Cliquot etc centered around Epernay and Reims. So there are probably thousands of brands of champagne if you take them all into account. They all vary enormously and reflect what the winemaker seeks to achieve. I haven't heard of Chaput either, but then I haven't heard of most of the "marques".

Champagne can only legally be made in this area. Other sparkling wines are supposed to be referred to as "méthode champenoise" meaning that the same process is used to achieve the "fizz". But they cannot be called champage, which is why I get so mad at Regent for serving a Crémant and calling it champagne...in the EU this is actually illegal!

And here is another funny twist: Here in Switzerland, in the Canton de Vaud, we have a tiny village called Champagne. Wine is made in the area (not great stuff I should add, but not all that bad either and certainly not sparkling!) The village has been called Champagne since records first started around 800AD. Anyway they used to bottle "vin de Champagne" which means wine of Champagne - ie from that village. Now they can't and they are furious about it!! The French insisted that the re-name the wine they have been making for centuries - well before Donm Perignon discovered his "stars"!! That shows how important the Appelation Controlée laws are. Wish Regent would take note!

Anyway Jackie - look forward to reading what you have to say on your next cruise!!:)

Jackie, thanks for the wrap-up. Some excellent insights. A couple of comments below.

Flights on Lufthansa, Business Class, were just fine. They are redoing Frankfurt airport, so, it may no longer be the worst airport that we have ever been to. Their new lounge opens in 4 days.

Too bad you missed the new terminal, glad to hear they are fixing this, it was bad when we were there 3 years ago!

Their “afternoon tea” could use some work as well. Regent needs to learn how to make “proper tea” (not put one teabag in a teapot).

Oh boy, I was shocked the first time we got their "tea". I'm sure on some earlier cruise they did it properly, but I can't remember when it was. Canadians expect decent tea too.

The fact that we learned of the “perfect” area to dine in Compass Rose from CruiseCritic was wonderful. The service was perfect -- there was simply no reason to dine in any other part of Compass Rose. Plus, you get to know the staff in that area quite well. . . it makes a difference.

So, remind us where that perfect area is?

I talked with several people who were not happy that we docked at Le Verdon which required a 2 hour each way bus ride to Bordeaux. The few of us who chose not to take the excursions had a wonderful time in a quaint seaside village nearby.

I think the issue there is getting up and down the tidal estuary to and from Bordeaux. It's a beautiful trip, if it's not the middle of the night, but very slow, and has to be timed perfectly. If the tide tables don't cooperate, you're out of luck.

Welcome home, and hope your cats forgive you soon!

Archived