LIVE from the Voyager

Travelcat2

Thanks, TC, for your report.

Have to agree with you about tea. I wish they served the loose leaf kind that I prefer (and I am American) but guess that is too much to ask.

Frankfurt is indeed a crazy airport. When I was there last, there were people trying to take boxes the size of small refrigerators as carryon.

I do indeed know where the "perfect" spot in CR is (not telling) and will be there in 5 days!

Travelcat (and DH) glad you are home safely. I had hoped to post here and on my LIVE post but we were so busy with excursions and Le Cordon Bleu cooking (and EATING) and trying to work my emails for my business in the short time we had in our LOVELY suite (we "just" had a G but it was fin!) that I had so little time for Cruisecritic. I promise to post a review when I can but that maybe a bit given that I am still in Nice France on a 2 night post cruise. (at the Palais de la Mediterranee).

Enjoyed Travelcat and Caroldoll (and dh's) and although I love Seabourn and Seadream (for different reasons) (and TC you may not know this) we booked the Mariner while on board for 9/22/10 - Istanbul to Monte Carlo!. So although we had a few issues, all in all a good cruise. (And we LOVED Le Cordon Bleu and Gilles Penot our chef!!!)

One of my concerns was whether we could get to know and enjoy the company of other guests on a "bigger ship" like the Voyager than something like 200 passengers. And we did!!!

More to follow I promise but I have a rough 10 days ahead of me!

To bed, so we can fly home tomorrow.:(

Thanks, TC, for your report.

Have to agree with you about tea. I wish they served the loose leaf kind that I prefer (and I am American) but guess that is too much to ask.

Frankfurt is indeed a crazy airport. When I was there last, there were people trying to take boxes the size of small refrigerators as carryon.

Okay -- you don't have to tell:-) Don't know if I shared information on La Veranda. Here it is.

If you go to La Veranda for breakfast (port side -- on the righthand side when you walk in), you may already know Linda. A cheerful blond woman with short hair and an accent that sounds Russian (don't recall the exact country she is from). She has wonderful stories to share and is efficient as well. A new employee (trained by Linda) is "Samil". You cannot miss his huge smile and warm greeting in the morning. He bends over backwards to provide you with excellent service (and succeeds). A new addition to La Veranda (at least for us) is a person greeting you outside of the elevator on Deck 11 to welcome you and tell you the daily special (and counts the passengers entering La Veranda). Ludmilla (horribly misspelled) is a sweet person. Once you get to know her, she has a great sense of humor. Most people don't pay much attention to her. . . . we always made a point to ask "what number are we today"?

Hope you will have time to post from your cruise. Looking forward to it.

Service was above and beyond what we have experienced in the past. This is not to say that all passengers will feel the same, or even that service is consistent. The fact that we learned of the “perfect” area to dine in Compass Rose from CruiseCritic was wonderful. The service was perfect -- there was simply no reason to dine in any other part of Compass Rose. Plus, you get to know the staff in that area quite well. . . it makes a difference.;)TC

Glad you enjoyed Abigail and Francisco as much as we did. They are not the only ones . . . . there is Albert, who serves in the middle of the dining room, and others. I think the key is to get to know your server and let them get to know you . . . and somehow magic happens.

TC,

What about the perfect place in CR?

When you enter CR from the "forward" side (vs. the aft side near the elevators), ask to be in Abigail and Francisco's section. Francisco is the head server and has worked for Regent/Radisson since day 1. Abigail is a manager. The service was wonderful in that section (although it probably is fine everywhere). When you get to know the staff, it just feels more like home.

TC, when you said......." When you get to know the staff, it just feels more like home. " I had a good chuckle. When I am on a cruise or a land based vacation I don't want too feel like I am at home. That is why I a running away from home.:D

Great point!

I agree with Suite, I don't want to feel at home.

I do want to feel comfortable, however, and being friendly with the staff and getting to know their names helps with that.

I'm sure there are other head waiters in CR on Voyager who are just as great as Francisco. I've heard that the best places are along the outside edge of the dining room because they are quieter, and I have found this to be true. Although when we were on Navigator, we gravitated towards Arnold as a headwaiter, and his section was smack dab in the middle, and we didn't care.

Enjoyed all the commentary.

I also wish they would make proper tea, and barring that would at least do more bags. Particularly at trivia when I need them to get on with it.

My first trip to Signatures in 10/07, I had the halibut and had a bad impression, too. Just too salty, but in 12/09, I tried something else, I think, and at any rate thought it was perfect. Indeed, ordering the right thing can help, but they ought to get every dish right at least most of the time.

Debbie, I agree with you about the halibut--same experience. The first time I ordered it, it was very salty and over-cooked. But I love halibut, so tried it again (same preparation) this year, and it was perfect. Should be perfect everytime.

When you enter CR from the "forward" side (vs. the aft side near the elevators), ask to be in Abigail and Francisco's section. Francisco is the head server and has worked for Regent/Radisson since day 1. Abigail is a manager. The service was wonderful in that section (although it probably is fine everywhere). When you get to know the staff, it just feels more like home.

Actually, Abigail is one of the four headwaiters in Compass Rose and Francisco is a (exceptional!) waiter, one of several who work for Abbie.

I have found this thread as well as a number of other threads most interesting with respect to comments on what I would call waiter shopping. We've never done that. We've always walked into Compass Rose (The Restaurant on Whisper) assuming we would receive the excellent service Regent (and Silversea) promises anywhere in the dining room. And with a couple of notable exceptions that has always been the case. My only dining room seating issue is I don't want to be seated close to a window and facing it since I am a bit prone to motion illness. So middle of the dining room is just fine with me. I don't mind one bit those of you who "adopt" a waiter or location. Bravo! But I firmly believe all passengers have a right to expect excellent service regardless of where they sit in the dining room. And if that doesn't happen, Regent is at fault. I don't expect 100%. That would be unreasonable. But I do expect, say, 90%. And anything below that would, IMO, suggest a serious drop in the standards Regent assures us we will enjoy when we book a Regent cruise. Pat

I have found this thread as well as a number of other threads most interesting with respect to comments on what I would call waiter shopping. We've never done that. We've always walked into Compass Rose (The Restaurant on Whisper) assuming we would receive the excellent service Regent (and Silversea) promises anywhere in the dining room. And with a couple of notable exceptions that has always been the case. My only dining room seating issue is I don't want to be seated close to a window and facing it since I am a bit prone to motion illness. So middle of the dining room is just fine with me. I don't mind one bit those of you who "adopt" a waiter or location. Bravo! But I firmly believe all passengers have a right to expect excellent service regardless of where they sit in the dining room. And if that doesn't happen, Regent is at fault. I don't expect 100%. That would be unreasonable. But I do expect, say, 90%. And anything below that would, IMO, suggest a serious drop in the standards Regent assures us we will enjoy when we book a Regent cruise. Pat

You have brought up some very good points. The reason we chose to "adopt" a waiter (great way to describe it) on this cruise was the poor service we received on our last Regent cruise. We did not want to have 3 days of poor service before we found an area that we were comfortable in. Note: the service issue was on the Navigator -- not the Voyager. We have another Navigator cruise scheduled next year -- our 3rd on this ship. The service on the Navigator has been consistantly mediocre (however, we do love the intimacy of the ship).

I wouldn't call it "waiter shopping" at all. Maybe, like us, you have a favorite restaurant at home? And a favorite waiter there? Maybe a favorite bartender? Why is that? Because there has been time for you to get to know each other . . . . . the bartender knows what you drink and has it waiting for you by the time you sit down; the waiter knows what you like and dislike, and can make more meaningful suggestions from that night's menu, knowing your tastes. Of course you should receive excellent service wherever and whenever you dine, but a who is just then meeting you cannot know your preferences on the first visit. That is why most people enjoy going to a place "where everybody knows your name" =)

I don't disagree with you at all, Rally. Having a good waiter you know who also knows you is a good thing. It's this chief advantage of assigned dining on Crystal and some of the other assigned dining cruise lines. And it is no less a good thing on Regent. My point was selecting (in lieu of adopting) the same waiter each night, if available, should't be necessary to secure good service. Good service should be available everywhere in the dining room. Glad we agree on that. I've read some folks opine the closer your are seated to the Captain's table the better the service. Don't know if that is ever true but I hope it isn't. Others have opined you experience better service seated at an officer's table. Hope not! I've never noticed a difference. We like to dine with one or two other couples each night and vary our dining partners each night. So adop, excuse me, selecting a favorite waiter would be somewhat impractical for us unless lots of folks select the same waiter. Pat

I don't disagree with you at all, Rally. Having a good waiter you know who also knows you is a good thing. It's this chief advantage of assigned dining on Crystal and some of the other assigned dining cruise lines. And it is no less a good thing on Regent. My point was selecting (in lieu of adopting) the same waiter each night, if available, should't be necessary to secure good service. Good service should be available everywhere in the dining room. Glad we agree on that. I've read some folks opine the closer your are seated to the Captain's table the better the service. Don't know if that is ever true but I hope it isn't. Others have opined you experience better service seated at an officer's table. Hope not! I've never noticed a difference. We like to dine with one or two other couples each night and vary our dining partners each night. So adop, excuse me, selecting a favorite waiter would be somewhat impractical for us unless lots of folks select the same waiter. Pat

We agree completely, Pat. I misunderstood you and apologize. The service level should be and, in our experience, has always been the same wherever we sit in compass Rose. We have dined with senior officers and not noticed that the service was any better than anywhere esle (good/great, bit not better.) However, it is always nice, in my opinion, to have a server who knows you wuld like massed potatoes without askng, and knows you like ice with your wine (or whatever.) To me, once a satisfactory level of service is established, it becomes about personal service, which mandates knowing something about each other. And that leads to mutual respect and a much more pleasurable time for all involved.

TC, one thing I forgot to ask--were the ballroom dancers on board, and if so, did they offer lessons?

The ballroom dancers were not on board. . . however, two members of the group that perform at night gave a couple of dance lessons. We took a cha cha lesson -- didn't do so well but laughed a lot. This cruise was a Spotlight on Food and Wine. Our next cruise will also include Spotlight on Dance. I'd really love to learn some elegant dances -- if I can concentrate more and laugh less:confused:

TC,

I was heartened to see your comments on the restaurants... though you were speaking about Voyager, you echo a lot of what I felt to be true on the Mariner.

In general, food was excellent. I am a self-proclaimed foodie (take it how ever you want to!), and in general was impressed with dinners on the ship. [Not entirely sure why so many trash it, quite frankly... I've dined all over the world, and in some of the most expensive and/or lauded restaurants all over the world. I'm not trying to brag, just giving context so you know I'm not comparing everything to Denny's or something.]

Signatures was my favorite. Each morsel I tasted there was fantastic. (I was happy to see that you found something to like there.. In general, I've been right in line with your opinions, so your not liking Signatures I felt to be odd!) I dined there three times, with 3 other people, (once was on one of the "Cabaret" evenings); we had 3 different menues (they changed menus a week into our 14 day cruise, and the cabaret evening had a special menu) and we generally ordered different things among our party and tasted each other's food. Everything was outstanding (some things were downright perfection). Service was impeccable.

Prime 7 was good. Ambience was fantastic, service was great. Portions were huge. Lobster was great, crab legs were great. Steak was OK. Caesar salad was wretched. Some of the sides were good, some not worth eating.

Compass Rose dinners were 75% fantastic. Every so often, something would not be cooked to the right temp (or the seafood slightly overcooked, or something too salty, or not sauced enough, etc.) but for the most part, the menu was interesting, and most things were lovely. The ambience was lovely -- such a beautiful room. Love the Art Deco touches.

La Veranda: Truthfully, except for a few select items, La Veranda for me was ho-hum.

Breakfast was fine (nothing to write home about -- actually the omelets I got from room service were better than those from the egg station... don't know why this is but I like my omelets with cheese and veggies, and those from room service had the right proportion of cheese to veggie to egg... something which was not true in La Veranda).

Lunch there was fine... a couple of wonderful menu items, the rest I could leave. Pizza was not good, despite the fanfare of adding the pizza ovens.

As I mentioned in another post, we only had dinner there once, on the last night of our cruise and it was horrible. Dined that night with my parents (Gold SSS members) and new cruise friends (one of the other couples was Silver or Gold on Regent); all the Regent regulars commented on how much they usually adore La Veranda for dinner, so I assume our experience was an aberration. The menu was pretty bad, and many of us opted for what sounded like a simple lobster-pasta-wine sauce dish.... ended up in a tomato sauce (neither tomatoes nor tomato sauce was listed in the description) and the lobster was overcooked so badly you could have substituted chunks of superballs or rubber erasers and not have noticed a difference.

Dinner service in La Veranda was very good, at all other meals it was hit or miss. Sometimes it was fantastic (especially if it was a waiter who knew you), sometimes TERRIBLE. Yep, we sat in all different areas, so, unfortunately, that may be why. I agree with all the comments that the location shouldn't matter, but there you go.

Room service breakfasts were fantastic; other room service items were merely OK (and totally forgettable). Note: we never ordered dinners from the main dining rooms, just ordered off the room service menu.

That's my two cents on Regent's meals, FWIW! :o

Thanks for your comments on the subject, TC -- you helped me remember many details of my own experiences!

lkakers,

Really enjoyed reading your post! You were right on with your comments on Signatures and Prime 7. I'm still wondering what is going on with the Caesar salad that isn't prepared tableside as indicated on the menu, is extremely small and is horrible.

My favorite dishes in Compass Rose are the Beef Wellington, rack of lamb and filet mignon (not on the menu most of the time, but is usually available). Though we are not big meat eaters, we find that beef and lamb are prepared so well that it is difficult to pass up. The potato's tend to be underdone so we order a side of mashed potato's (my DH occasionally orders French fries). They are done quite well.

La Veranda only works for us when we want to have smaller meals at breakfast and/or lunch. I missed having the pasta bar (it was there 2 out of 12 days). I enjoy having very small portions at lunch of just a couple of items. It is also an opportunity to taste some items I may not typically order.

It will be interesting to see if anything changes on the Mariner once Chef Cornell is on board. He is very good, has Regent experience, so, there is no reason that the consistancy or quality should change.

We'll be back on the Voyager in November with the new chef (new to the Voyager, not Regent). Although I won't be posting daily from the ship, I'm bound to say a few things while on board (we have learned that doing 2 cruises so close together is a bit daunting:-)

TC

Archived